Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boxing Clubs in Cork

• 07-12-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,
    Does anyone know of a good Boxing Club in or around Cork City? I'm a beginner and would probably go for PT lessons rather than a class to get myself started. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Where are you based or what side of the city would suit you?

There's actually about 30 clubs between the City and County and it's a very active scene at the moment with the Cork County Board about to pick up the Sports Association Of The Year Award in the Metropole Hotel tomorrow.
    There's also the option of the Boxing Clinic which is probably more of a 'pay as you go' type gym with all the emphasis on fitness through learning boxing skills. They run occasional events but don't take part in local Leagues or tournaments and they're based up around Musgraves near Frankfield.

Northside clubs would include Sunnyside, Fr Horgans, Northside, Riverstown, Brian Dillons, Setanta (Rathcooney), Mayfield and Glen whilst on the Southside you'd have Togher, Spartan (Turners Cross), Leeside Lough and Loughmahon. (probably a couple that I'm forgetting as well!!!)

Surrounding towns like Ballincollig, Midleton, Fermoy, Watergrasshill all have very good and active clubs as well.

Don't worry about the 'beginner' tag, that's what the clubs are there for - to teach and encourage people of all ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Crimefighter

Thanks for your message twowheelsonly. I'm based in Mahon but can travel wherever - I'd rather travel for a decent Club. Or does it matter which one I choose? - Are they all more or less the same? I did hear somewhere that the Watergrasshill club is good - I think that's where Mike Perez trains???

That's right but he's not there at the moment!!! (He'sin California I think and won't be back for a while)

Loughmahon would be your closest club but are without premises at the moment as the Lakelands shut down. Fine club - it's Gary 'Spike' O Sullivans club - but not much good to you at the moment. Plans are in the pipeline for a custom built club so keep an eye out for that.

Check out Muskerry and Togher. I think Togher are full but check it out, they had a waiting list last year and had 100+ in training. Muskerry have a fine place and decent facilities out in Ballincollig. Setanta have a place in Turners Cross, in the industrial estate next to the football ground. It's small and a real 'old style' boxing gym but I think it;s great!!

All of the clubs with the exception of the Glen have Facebook pages AFAIK so check them out there.

County Board page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/corkcounty.boxingboard?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Crimefighter

thanks bud (y)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Would boxing clubs in general be friendly enough for an older beginner? I'd really like to try out some sparring in Cork/Cobh area.

• Advertisement

moneymad wrote: »
    Would boxing clubs in general be friendly enough for an older beginner? I'd really like to try out some sparring in Cork/Cobh area.

They would but for 'older' people I'd recommend either Togher, St Colmans (in Shanagarry) or possibly Northside BC (in the industrial estate by Blackpool Shopping Centre). Paul Buttimer is the head coach there and runs boxfit classes as well which might suit. Togher do the same, they just opened a new premises on Vicars Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Thank you for the information. The togher club looks very popular, with a very active facebook page.

Advertisement