Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Felt back to normal today thankfully. I hate being sick, it’s such a waste of time! Another morning at Fun Galaxy (if you don’t know what Fun Galaxy is, you don’t need to know and you can thank your lucky stars you don’t have to know) and I was ready to run like Forrest Gump. So instead of the usual loop, I set out with busfare (& coffee money) in my pocket and said I’d just run in straight line for a max of 80 minutes and see how far I got. I thought I might get as far as one of the nice cafes in Howth but overshot those and found myself heading up the steep side of the village towards the summit :eek:. It is much more fun running down that way than going up I can tell ya. The clock struck 80 just as it started to lash down so I made my way to the nearest bus stop rather than go for coffee. Just as well because the bus was jammers and no one else was let on the whole way back. They're probably still out there trying to get home the poor feckers.

Delighted to be back in action and feeling normal. Even though I only missed two runs it feels like forever.

I might give the mile a go on Tuesday now :D
    • 80 mins (8.9 miles)

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 18.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Good to see you back, looks like the sensible approach paid off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Fun galaxy.... aaarghh.... running up howth is way more FUN than that... glad you are on the mend, don't overdo it now!

This week is going to be all over the place in terms of my running schedule so I’m just going to roll with it and hopefully manage a reasonable week’s training anyway. Tonight’s window of opportunity was just 25 minutes. I’m glad I wasn’t trying to get a swim or a game of tennis in :rolleyes:
    • 3 miles (25:00)

Mile Track Race @ Alsaa Sports Club 17/2/15

Well, that was different…:eek:

I haven’t raced on a track since last summer (a 3K) and my previous mile race was on the road back in April last year. I just got it into my head that I wanted to see how far off the sub 6:00 I am for the holy grail that is the Round Table. Quite a bit is the answer. And quite a bit off my PB of 6:18 which was a little disappointing but completely realistic seeing as I’ve been away from this sort of pace for a loooooooong time. There were 2 races tonight, the first for ‘the ladies and 6:00+ men’ leaving the second race for, I guess ‘the other men’ :rolleyes:.
    We were off, and the first lap felt fine, slow even, and I heard the split being called out at 1:33 which was perfect (I was hoping for 6:15 ish). It was dark so I couldn’t really see my watch and didn’t want to waste time looking at it if they were going to be calling the times anyway. I felt bunched in during the second lap like I was going to trip on someone’s heels but didn’t feel it would be sensible to overtake so early. Lesson learned! Second split was 3:14 so a much slower lap. Found a bit of space to run after overtaking early in the third lap but was really starting to feel the cold (shorts and t-shirt, d’oh). Didn’t hear the 3rd split clearly (4:54 maybe ?) but knew at that point a decent time was out of the question. Hung on for the last lap (lungs/chest were literally burning) and finished in 6:32 (2nd ‘lady’). I was actually happy with the way I ran and think that my lungs just weren’t prepared for the combination of cold and speed, especially after the lurgy/plague at the weekend. The same event is on in 2 months time so I’ll be back to see if the new training, warmer weather and even some daylight might have a positive effect on that time!
    • 20 mins w/up + 1 mile (6:32) + 20 mins c/d (5 miles)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Nice! I know you're not completely happy with the time and are obviously capable of better but it's a good marker to blitz for the next one which I know you will!!!! 2nd woman ain't a bad place to come either!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Nice! I know you're not completely happy with the time and are obviously capable of better but it's a good marker to blitz for the next one which I know you will!!!! 2nd woman ain't a bad place to come either!

Thanks Ososlo, I think I got the time I deserved given the fact that I'd no specific preparation done so as you say it's a good marker for where I'm at with room to improve. Running on the track is odd though. I felt a bit like a hamster. Give me fields or trails any day!

+1 to what Os told you (and what you told yourself!) and fair play for doing it and getting it out of your system :D (I tell you, I have a mile itch that is scratching like crazy)
    It's all practice and to echo Os, you'll blitz it next time. Also looking very promising for the 3k time too :)

considering you hadn't been well 2 days beforehand, that's a great result! Can't believe you were cold while running so fast... maybe not quite fully recovered? how are you feeling today after the effort?

annapr wrote: »
    considering you hadn't been well 2 days beforehand, that's a great result! Can't believe you were cold while running so fast... maybe not quite fully recovered? how are you feeling today after the effort?

It was just breathing (gulping? gasping?) in the cold air while maxed out was an unusual sensation. No chance for the air to warm up before it hits the lungs. I'm grand today thanks, just waiting for my ears to pop (have a mild sinusy thing going on) but otherwise all good, cheers. I might give the hill sprints a skip this week though ;)

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    fair play for doing it and getting it out of your system :D (I tell you, I have a mile itch that is scratching like crazy)

When do you think you might get to do it ?

Also looking very promising for the 3k time too :)

That's funny. When I figured out the pace after, I just thought that sub 20 5K is going to be a very very long time coming :o I'd forgotten about the 3K. And the 800 might be possible, in fact I'd say that's the easiest one of the lot.

Wednesday – Strength & Conditioning

I had to run to Pilates because I was late so there’s an extra mile in the bag :). The class seems to be getting (slightly) easier but it still moves at a much faster pace than the previous level and some of the moves that the instructor makes look so easy are just beyond me. ‘Seal’, anyone ? A bizarre move where you clap the soles of your feet together 3 times, roll over backwards, clap the feet 3 times again while your butt is in the air then roll back without letting your feet touch the ground, then repeat. Still lots of work to do there…I may have inadvertently invented my own move called ‘Penguin’ :o. Headed over to the gym and did the same routine as last week but added a whopping 10 seconds to both planks. No sign of my six pack yet, I wonder where it could be :confused:. Body Balance after that, nothing of interest to report, then a recovery run the long way home.
    • 1 mile easy + 2.5 miles recovery (35:00)

I’m definitely over the lurgy and the sinusy thing now, which is just as well because I would be dragging myself around the XC course on Sunday regardless because it’s the last race in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Wednesday – Strength & Conditioning

‘Seal’, anyone ? A bizarre move where you clap the soles of your feet together 3 times, roll over backwards, clap the feet 3 times again while your butt is in the air then roll back without letting your feet touch the ground, then repeat. Still lots of work to do there…I may have inadvertently invented my own move called ‘Penguin’ :o.

R/L laughing. Sounds like some manoeuvre. I'm not sure I could even manage their backwards roll!

R/L laughing. Sounds like some manoeuvre. I'm not sure I could even manage their backwards roll!

I know! And the instructor does it so elegantly and effortlessly while I look like something out of the Madagascar movie :o

On a completely different note, but now that I have you in here :D, don't forget that XC race on Sunday is in Cherryfield Park. You know you want to.

Oops sorry, just realised I haven't answered your mile question. Not sure, I think I've missed the boat for an early season bench marker. Training is getting quite focused now for Ballycotton (it feels like it has turned into a target race now) and after that I think I'll be doing specific sharpening work. It's just a curiosity thing for me, I want to blast a short distance :)

Oops sorry, just realised I haven't answered your mile question. Not sure, I think I've missed the boat for an early season bench marker. Training is getting quite focused now for Ballycotton (it feels like it has turned into a target race now) and after that I think I'll be doing specific sharpening work. It's just a curiosity thing for me, I want to blast a short distance :)

Don't worry, I'd say you'll be rolling out 6 min miles on your easy runs in no time the rate you're going :D

Haha that'll be when I conquer dimensional travel :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I know! And the instructor does it so elegantly and effortlessly while I look like something out of the Madagascar movie :o

On a completely different note, but now that I have you in here :D, don't forget that XC race on Sunday is in Cherryfield Park. You know you want to.

Haahaa...I'm going to have to try one now lol.

Don't worry I haven't forgotten... Its in the back of my mind. Its a training thing isn't it? So no worries about levels or anything? Sundays long run is 10k so it shouldn't mess up the plan too much.

Don't worry I haven't forgotten... Its in the back of my mind. Its a training thing isn't it? So no worries about levels or anything? Sundays long run is 10k so it shouldn't mess up the plan too much.

It is a race rather than training but to give you an idea of the range of runners the times from the last race varied from 12:30 to 21:30 for 2 miles so you can take it at your own pace and even incorporate it into your 10K by doing a long warm up and cooldown. PM me if you decide to do it and I can send you the details :).

Thursday – Short Run
    This was simply an opportunistic easy run around the block. I got a 30 minute window which probably should have been spent cleaning/washing/folding/tidying/napping but I may not get a chance to run on Saturday so thought I should get a few miles in the bank. Usual 3 mile route from the house but in the opposite direction and easy pace.
    • 3 miles (28:00)

Friday – Long Run
    Pilates was great this morning. Felt a bit bleurgh going into it but came out feeling taller and straighter. Decided to head to Malahide Castle for a change of scenery and had a lovely run starting with the parkrun route then a couple of laps inside the perimeter, mostly on trail. Felt a little tired for the last 15 mins or so and sure enough when I looked at the (Km) splits on Strava after, the last few Km were slower. Not sure if I need to take on any food/drink now that I’m edging towards runs of 90 minutes or so? I’m not a fan of gels or sports drinks and prefer not to carry anything when I’m running. I’ll be hovering around the 90 minutes for the next few weeks anyway so maybe my legs just need to get used to the mileage. No time for a refuelling stop at Avoca unfortunately, had to make do with some protein bar that was left over from the Raheny 5 goody bag :rolleyes:
    • 85 mins (9.7 miles) on tarmac/trail

• Advertisement

Friday – Long Run
    Pilates was great this morning. Felt a bit bleurgh going into it but came out feeling taller and straighter. Decided to head to Malahide Castle for a change of scenery and had a lovely run starting with the parkrun route then a couple of laps inside the perimeter, mostly on trail. Felt a little tired for the last 15 mins or so and sure enough when I looked at the (Km) splits on Strava after, the last few Km were slower. Not sure if I need to take on any food/drink now that I’m edging towards runs of 90 minutes or so? I’m not a fan of gels or sports drinks and prefer not to carry anything when I’m running. I’ll be hovering around the 90 minutes for the next few weeks anyway so maybe my legs just need to get used to the mileage. No time for a refuelling stop at Avoca unfortunately, had to make do with some protein bar that was left over from the Raheny 5 goody bag :rolleyes:

• 85 mins (9.7 miles) on tarmac/trail
    I wouldn't think so. My long runs are 90 mins also but climbing towards 2 hours over the next few weeks and I really don't think that it would be necessary (have never felt the need) to fuel on the run. Eat well before it and you'll be fine. Carrying stuff is a real pain, I agree. If it was hot I might bring water but I really don't think there's any need for food on a run of that duration. Get something into you within 20 mins of finishing the run if possible though.
    Just my 2 cents!

Ososlo wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so. My long runs are 90 mins also but climbing towards 2 hours over the next few weeks and I really don't think that it would be necessary (have never felt the need) to fuel on the run. Eat well before it and you'll be fine. Carrying stuff is a real pain, I agree. If it was hot I might bring water but I really don't think there's any need for food on a run of that duration. Get something into you within 20 mins of finishing the run if possible though.
    Just my 2 cents!

Sound! Thanks Ososlo. It just occurred to me that the fatigue at the end could be food related but I had a decent breakfast so it's probably just the body getting used to this length of run. I'll stay in and around the 90 mins for Feb and March to try and consolidate before adding on any extra. I might invest in a water belt for when it heats up a bit - no need at the moment :rolleyes: Cheers for the advice.

+1 Ososlo took the very words out of my mouth :) Well done on reaching that and taking it there sensibly!

Any XC news BG?! :)

Any XC news BG?! :)

It was wet

It was mucky

It was windy

Brief report on the way :)

Oof, way to go out, last one wasn't it?!

Meet & Train League Final Race - 2 miles XC

Saturday was an unscheduled rest day so definitely felt a bit more sluggish than usual today as a result. Wasn’t feeling the love at all when I saw the weather forecast and even less so when it turned out to be accurate for once! Did a reluctant 5 minute warm up in the lashing rain and just made it to the start line on time. Thankfully the rain eased off before the gun so there was just the muck and the wind to contend with :rolleyes: A fast paced scramble at the start confirmed that the previous race had indeed been depleted of the speedier runners and now they were back with a vengeance. I tried to hang on to the back of a girl I recognised who is usually about the same pace but she was having a better day than me and I eventually slipped back a few places. The course was 2 loops taking in a few tight corners, some nice downhills (wheeeeee !) and only one short climb. The layout of the course meant you could see the leaders most of the time and work out where you were so I busied myself with counting to keep my mind off the pain. Managed to overtake one girl going up the last hill but had nothing left to hold off a sprint finish from two others. Ended up 15th which I should be happy with (am happy with really) but can’t help feeling I could have done a bit better. Maybe by not being a wuss and doing a proper warm up on the full lap would have helped. Oh well, it’s over now and we just have to wait for the team results to come in. Fingers crossed for a podium place! Didn’t do a cool down because it would have meant putting on the wet warm up clothes again so settled for a (scalding hot) shower and coffee and cake instead.
    • 2 miles XC + 0.5 miles w/up. No cool down.

Felt guilty about the lack of a cool down so threw the running gear in the car on the way to the in-laws this afternoon and did an easy run home while Mr. B and Jr. drove back. I arrived less than 10 minutes after they did after taking a long route home to make the weekly mileage total up to 30.
    • 3.3 miles easy (31:00)

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: :D 30 :D

That was not a bad morning's work considering...15th is not too shabby at all! And a possible podium place :D Love the runners OCD dedication in getting to 30 miles for the week. I think I can speak for boards and say "we approve" :pac:

Nice work B G! Hope you guys get that podium place!

• Advertisement

at least you got cake! sounds like a good run off very little warm up... in horrible conditions...

Advertisement