Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    just have to wait for the team results to come in. Fingers crossed for a podium place!

4th team overall and we placed 1st in the Silver division. A great result and we'll have eyes on making it into the Gold division in the summer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

4th team overall and we placed 1st in the Silver division. A great result and we'll have eyes on making it into the Gold division in the summer :D

Nice one. Sounds like a tough day for it as well.

annapr wrote: »
    at least you got cake! sounds like a good run off very little warm up... in horrible conditions...

I'm all about the cake, about the cake :D

Thanks Annapr, I'm happier about it now I've seen the results and realised my losing a couple of places didn't affect the team results or change the outcome. I would have been gutted if we were only a couple of points off third, but we were way off :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was on the finish line writing down times. It was a muck day alright!

RayCun wrote: »
    I was on the finish line writing down times. It was a muck day alright!

I'd say us runners had an easier time of it than you did! Thanks very much to you and the rest of the volunteers - it was a great race.

• Advertisement

Monday – Rest
    Really needed the rest day as was feeling a bit like I’d been run over by a train. I was a bit puzzled until I looked back over the week and realised I’d run 2 races, completed my longest long run in over a year AND the highest weekly mileage in probably 4 years. All that after a dose the previous week. Duh! So I duly put my feet up and didn’t move for the night.

Tuesday – 5K effort reps
    Felt much better this morning and ready to tackle the 5 x 2 mins set again. I did it 2 weeks ago but wasn’t happy that I’d made enough of an effort. Some effective bribery meant Jr. landed in Montessori by 8.15 giving me plenty of time for the session. I will pay for this later when she paints my nails orange but needs must. It was pretty windy out there so I made sure to do the majority of the reps with the wind behind me. No point suffering unnecessarily! Lungs felt fine, legs a bit weary towards the end of the set but I could have done another one so without a Garmin that’s the only feedback I’m going to get. I’ll move on to the 5 x 3 mins next week.
    • 5.1 miles incl 5 x 2 mins @ 5K effort (47:00) on grass/tarmac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Wow you have been busy in the past few weeks! No wonder you needed a rest day. Have you conquered that seal move yet? !!!!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Have you conquered that seal move yet? !!!!
    No, it's still beyond me :o And that's only the basic seal, there's a whole range of progressions for when/if I ever master the basic one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

No, it's still beyond me :o And that's only the basic seal, there's a whole range of progressions for when/if I ever master the basic one!
    I looked it up on utube, might try it later!!! If I dislocate anything I'm blaming you!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    I looked it up on utube, might try it later!!! If I dislocate anything I'm blaming you!

:eek:

• Advertisement

Wednesday – Strength & Conditioning
    I was dreading this and wondering why, when I have negotiated 4 hours off, I don’t just go to the cinema or have a little nap instead of running from one form of torture to the next. To add to my reluctance I managed to lose (or have stolen :() my running watch which even though it’s just an overgrown stopwatch I am very attached to. As always though, when I’ve finished the sessions I feel great and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Warm up run along the promenade before Pilates, a tough Pilates class, walk over to the gym, 2 full sets of the usual routine with extra seconds added on to the planks and side planks, Body Balance, then a recovery run home. Feet up!

3.5 miles total

Thursday – Hill Sprints
    I was early for these so did a warm up lap before meeting with annapr for these at the base of ‘Fairview Mountain’. After another lap we did 6 x 8 seconds off approx. 3 minutes. So much easier to do with company. Poor annapr, I’ll be dragging her out now for drills (another thing I’ve been putting off because I thought I’d look like a loon by myself). We could have done more reps but I was pushed for time so just ran home and the usual scramble to get washed and brushed in time for work. Feel great now, all prepped for a nice long run tomorrow.
    • almost 4 miles total incl 6 x 8 secs hill sprints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

What a thoroughly enjoyable log, well done BG. As you've been sprinting up and down 'Fairview Mountain' I've been catching up so both have had a busy morning :)
    Another local runner too so even better and I've worked out your gym but not convinced you do your pilates there, if not then we could go to the same place.
    See you Sunday and we can discuss moving hill sprints to the weekend so the 3 of us can have a go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

aquinn wrote: »
    What a thoroughly enjoyable log, well done BG. As you've been sprinting up and down 'Fairview Mountain' I've been catching up so both have had a busy morning :)
    Another local runner too so even better and I've worked out your gym but not convinced you do your pilates there, if not then we could go to the same place.
    See you Sunday and we can discuss moving hill sprints to the weekend so the 3 of us can have a go :D

Ah here, don't let FBOT see that, or we'll never hear the end of it! :)

Thanks aquinn. We'll have enough runners for a D3 team at this rate! I go to the pilates centre in Clontarf near the Food Room - same one ?

Thanks aquinn. We'll have enough runners for a D3 team at this rate! I go to the pilates centre in Clontarf near the Food Room - same one ?

Yes, I thought as much. Same one. Reformer or mat?

Yes, I thought as much. Same one. Reformer or mat?

Mat. Tried reformer once but couldn't get the hang of it at all !

Excellent, well done on the promotion.

Fab, relaxing run this morning (after Pilates) along the Howth trails. Haven’t been up here in months (I think November was the last time). Decided to do the full ‘Bog of Frogs’ loop (I have yet to see a frog en route, just sayin’) from the Sutton side because I know it takes me 85-90 minutes depending on conditions. Plan was for 85 mins and the 5K schedule calls for a hilly long run every couple of weeks.

The route starts near the Martello tower and from there it’s pretty much uphill until you get to Howth Golf Club where there’s a right of way across the golf course. More climbing before the descent to the GAA pitches and then after a straight stretch it’s downhill all the way to Howth DART station. Past all the shops on Harbour Road then a right turn at the end and a short but steeeeeep climb up towards the car park where the trail picks up again along the Cliff Path. This section is always busy with tourists unless the weather’s rubbish (in which case you don’t want to be up here either as there’s a sheer drop down to the sea in places :eek:). Best time to go is early morning so you’re not saying ‘Mi Scusi’ every 5 seconds on a single track. I took a couple of photos today and will try to attach them below. The trail continues along the coast and passes just underneath the Summit car park before a long descent with the Baily Lighthouse in view. Then there’s a lovely wooded section which is always very quiet. Some private houses along here with massive gardens leading down to the trail and awesome sea views. The last mile or so of the loop is less runable because there are lots of stone steps up and down to break your rhythm. Maybe it’s my imagination but the steps felt easier today then ever before. Normally they’re very tough on the legs by that point and a bit of a buzz killer after such a nice run. Those hill sprints must be paying off! Reached the Martello tower and from there it was only 5 mins back to the car. Strava measured the route at 13.5K and of course the splits were all over the place because it was hilly and mucky. Really enjoyed it and even though I miss my watch there’s a certain freedom in running without it, especially on routes like this where time doesn’t really matter :D:D
    • 8.4 miles (85:00) hilly, mainly trail

Great description of one of my favourite hikes... Could almost be in the west. Have never attempted to run it... Could be a great location for trail run #2!

Lovely day for it too.

So will I be able to do that if I persist with the hill sprints? ;)

Have never attempted to run it... Could be a great location for trail run #2!

Absolutely! I was just thinking that this morning. Doesn't even have to be the full loop. An out and back from Howth village or Sutton would work too and there are shorter and longer routes I haven't investigated yet.

Of course! And we could do some hill sprints out there while we're at it :D

• Advertisement

:) I had an unplanned trail run/climb there on my first 20-miler last year, when I was trying to follow the tramlines up from the village and got hopelessly lost... that's a great track for running too...

:) I had an unplanned trail run/climb there on my first 20-miler last year, when I was trying to follow the tramlines up from the village and got hopelessly lost... that's a great track for running too...

There used to be a website with brilliant maps of the waymarked trails but I can't find it. Thought I had downloaded them so I'll keep looking.

Nothing worse than getting lost when it's all uphill :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great description of one of my favourite hikes... Could almost be in the west. Have never attempted to run it... Could be a great location for trail run #2!

Lovely day for it too.

Absolutely! I was just thinking that this morning. Doesn't even have to be the full loop. An out and back from Howth village or Sutton would work too and there are shorter and longer routes I haven't investigated yet.

Of course! And we could do some hill sprints out there while we're at it :D
    Great minds...:D Looks like your hard work is paying off BG, sounds like a gorgeous run. Such a shame about your watch :(

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Great minds...:D Looks like your hard work is paying off BG, sounds like a gorgeous run. Such a shame about your watch :(

It is a lovely run. Can we tempt you back to the northside for it ? :D

Yeah, I'm a bit :( about it but I have my old one to fall back on, it just needs a new battery. And, maybe, Santa could be reading this and might see fit to buy me an early Christmas present.

It is a lovely run. Can we tempt you back to the northside for it ? :D

Yeah, I'm a bit :( about it but I have my old one to fall back on, it just needs a new battery. And, maybe, Santa could be reading this and might see fit to buy me an early Christmas present.
    Oh definitely, it's a brilliant idea. April is a busy month race wise for me (so far a possible four lined up :eek: ) but I am pretty sure that I could make it over across the river with bribes of chocolate :) And Santa...please deliver ;)

There used to be a website with brilliant maps of the waymarked trails but I can't find it. Thought I had downloaded them so I'll keep looking.

Nothing worse than getting lost when it's all uphill :eek:

yep, I was literally climbing a few times! and circling the summit looking down at the Summit pub and trying to find the path... it was funny though, probably not ideal halfway through a 20-miler...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I love it out there, but never really thought to head up with the runners on. An outing for the d3 bus et al sounds like a good idea!

April is a busy month race wise for me (so far a possible four lined up :eek: )

I only have 3 lined up for April ! Most unlike me :D . Which ones you thinking ?

I only have 3 lined up for April ! Most unlike me :D . Which ones you thinking ?
    I think Clearlier would approve :pac: There's a mid-week F it4Life in my local park on the 2nd - a speedy 3k yay which I shall hopefully use as a sharpener for the Leinster 10m road championships the following Monday.
    It's not ideal timing but the National 10k championships are the following Sunday in the Phoenix Park and I'd like to run in that if coachy gives the go ahead. Then the club have planned an assault ;) in the Wicklow Road Championships on Thursday the 23rd (5k?) and then on 4 May, another biggie, the Leinster Road Championships (3k). Phew, got to lie down now...
    What about you, the K Club and what else?

• Advertisement

I think Clearlier would approve :pac: There's a mid-week F it4Life in my local park on the 2nd - a speedy 3k yay which I shall hopefully use as a sharpener for the Leinster 10m road championships the following Monday.
    It's not ideal timing but the National 10k championships are the following Sunday in the Phoenix Park and I'd like to run in that if coachy gives the go ahead. Then the club have planned an assault ;) in the Wicklow Road Championships on Thursday the 23rd (5k?) and then on 4 May, another biggie, the Leinster Road Championships (3k). Phew, got to lie down now...
    What about you, the K Club and what else?

Ooh looks like you'll have the table half full by the time you're finished that racing streak!
    I'm going the K-Club, the track mile, and then torn between the Good Friday trail run in Emo or the Oldbridge parkrun on Easter Saturday. Goal 5K is on the 3rd May so I'll have to take a bit of a break from racing before that.

Advertisement