Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Dunboyne-esque wind though :rolleyes:

That may be the first (and only!) time dunboyne has been compared to south of Portugal :-D we should have done the Garmin handover pre holiday so you'd have distances...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not sure about Strava but afaik most of those apps can still be used without the roaming - the distances are still measured, just no maps - and the map eventually draws anyway when you connect to a wifi or other network. At least that's the way it used to be. Nice run anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

annapr wrote: »
    Second of all... when are you signing up for that HM??? :P

There's one in Laois in November...or maybe Waterford around the same time. I'm not going to commit to it until I'm sure I can make it over the line in one piece otherwise it'll be the usual carnage :o

Firedance wrote: »
    That may be the first (and only!) time dunboyne has been compared to south of Portugal :-D we should have done the Garmin handover pre holiday so you'd have distances...

Ha ha :D Yeah other than the wind they may not have a huge amount in common. You have better cake though :). Not fussed about measuring the distances while I'm here, I'll just go by time. That said I'll try Murph_d's suggestion today and see if that works. Sure I'd be bringing the phone anyway to take photos :cool:

Murph_D wrote: »
    Not sure about Strava but afaik most of those apps can still be used without the roaming - the distances are still measured, just no maps - and the map eventually draws anyway when you connect to a wifi or other network. At least that's the way it used to be. Nice run anyway!

I did not know that. Thanks. Will check it out on my run today. It was a lovely run, very peaceful. Saw something called 'Natural' Park on the map so might head there. I do hope it won't be a lost in translation moment and I end up amidst a bunch of naturists making the most of the sunshine :eek:

Mimojo wrote: »
    Happy hols BG...also welcome to the amazing world of Garmin stats :-)

I crumbled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I crumbled!

Not talking to you anymore :p;)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Not talking to you anymore :p;)

*hangs head in shame*

*hangs head in shame*

Not really :D You are going to be a model of restrained and savvy GARMIN usage aren't you?! (And keep all your stats drooling to the privacy of your bedroom own home ;) )

Sunday (Warm Weather Training – Day 2)

A bit cooler today but still windy. I suppose this is to be expected when holidaying at a surfers’ paradise :rolleyes:. Was 5.30pm or so when I headed out for a long run with no real clue of a route, just a plan to do 45 mins out and back so I wouldn’t get lost. Took Murph_D’s advice re Strava and it worked but lost about 10 minutes when I accidentally paused it at a photo stop. Calling it at 9.5 miles :) Took a left out of the resort towards the nearest town (Sagres) and found a trail heading up to the cliffs. Stunning views from here across the bay. Kept going down a boardwalk and onto another trail which led to a port where I got a few odd looks (not too many runners around these parts it seems, I’ve yet to see anyone else out running). Tough climb back up from the port then retraced my steps back home. Windy, bumpy underfoot, but really enjoyable run.
    • 90:00 moving time (+ photo stops) 9.5 miles approx

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 31

Starting into a new 10K programme tomorrow (jumping in at Week 4 of a 12 week plan to bring me up to Dunshaughlin 10K on 20/6). Will have to tweak it a bit to accommodate races but it’s a fairly straightforward programme so will get stuck in tomorrow! Just need to find somewhere to do 400m reps. Oh, and they have Pilates here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Leave it to you to find a hilly trail even when on hols :) sounds fab, hope you're having a great time.

Monday – (Warm Weather Training – Day 3)

Started the day with Pilates outdoors in the shade. Only thing missing was a mocktail of tropical juices over ice :cool:. Happy Monday to me! There was just 3 of us in the class and it was very much back to basics – no Seals (or Penguins :o). Found it really useful to be able to focus on breathing and alignment as opposed to tackling the more complex moves at home.

The plan for today was just an easy 3 miles but BG Junior has had a temperature on and off since we got here and it got worse this afternoon, making a trip to the pharmacy necessary. Easier to run than drive on the wrong side of the road so I did an out and back trip (negative split) to get some medicine. Needless to say by the time I got back she was in flying form, eating all around her, and running poor daddy ragged with a football. She’s grand now, back to herself thankfully.
    • 5.3 miles total (49:00)

Plan for tomorrow is 400s but I haven’t found anywhere suitable (i.e. flat) to do them. No GAA pitches around here :rolleyes:. Maybe I’ll do them on the beach or would I look like a loon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Plan for tomorrow is 400s but I haven’t found anywhere suitable (i.e. flat) to do them. No GAA pitches around here :rolleyes:. Maybe I’ll do them on the beach or would I look like a loon ?

Maybe not in your bikini:D

Fair play to you for getting all that running done on the hols! That's dedication! Impressed! "Enjoy":rolleyes: the 400s!

Fair play to you...although I can imagine what a chore it is working up a sweat and diving into a pool :rolleyes:
    Hope BG Junior's temperature behaves....

Ososlo wrote: »
    Maybe not in your bikini:D

Fair play to you for getting all that running done on the hols! That's dedication! Impressed! "Enjoy":rolleyes: the 400s!

I didn't even pack a bikini! Just a sensible black one piece (how I know I am old, part 4...) Although the beaches are so empty I could probably have gotten away with a Baywatch style jaunt :D. I love running on holidays, the last few times I haven't been able to for various reasons so it's great to just throw on the runners and explore.

Fair play to you...although I can imagine what a chore it is working up a sweat and diving into a pool :rolleyes:
    Hope BG Junior's temperature behaves....

It is hard, but I'm making the effort :D.

BG Jr grand now thanks, temp back to normal then she promptly falls flat on her face playing chasing and needed 4 Disney plasters :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Definitely do the 400's on the beach :-) nothing nicer than a run on the sand & then straight into the refreshing sea.....jealous now! Glad the temp is down, hope the Disney plasters work their majic

Firedance wrote: »
    Definitely do the 400's on the beach :-) nothing nicer than a run on the sand & then straight into the refreshing sea.....jealous now! Glad the temp is down, hope the Disney plasters work their majic

Sold! Will do :D

Disney plasters cure everything! I wish there was a grown-up equivalent :rolleyes:

Sold! Will do :D

Disney plasters cure everything! I wish there was a grown-up equivalent :rolleyes:

Are you not drinking it right now??

Are you not drinking it right now??

Actually I am! And on a Monday night too. Call it research for the prosecco mile ;)

• Advertisement

Actually I am! And on a Monday night too. Call it research for the prosecco mile ;)

And laps of the pool of course? :D

And laps of the pool of course? :D

Eh, yes, of course. That too....:o

Tuesday (Warm Weather Training – Day 4)

Rest Day. Unscheduled, but whatcha gonna do. No opportunity to run today but did get to visit the most beautiful beach at Odeceixe. Totally unspoilt and pretty much deserted as it’s off-season. Probably jammers with surfers during the summer.

Wednesday (Warm Weather Training – Day 5)

6 x 400m with 1-2 mins recovery (Splits: 1:32, 1:36, 1:34, 1:35, 1:34, 1:36)

Did these too fast (was aiming for around 1:40/1:41 but felt reasonably good (#2,4, and 6 were into a breeze). Jogged the first 2 recoveries but the heat was getting to me so walked the others. Found a flat stretch of roadway with very little traffic to do the reps and measured out 0.4Km with Strava. Might have been a little long because Strava gave me a ‘PR’ of 1:28 for one of the reps. Happy with this session because

a) I was full of ice-cream setting out
    b) It’s hot, and I don’t do hot
    c) It’s windy, and I don’t do wind
    d) It’s holidays

Fairly whacked at the end of it. Could I have done another rep ? Voluntarily, no. But gun to head and a glass of prosecco on a stick, probably ;).
    • 5.5 miles incl 6 x 400m (90 secs rec)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great Sesison to get done on hols...or at all....

adrian522 wrote: »
    Great Sesison to get done on hols...or at all....

Just following your example !

I am full of admiration...a session on holidays!! A quality session too!
    I am also full of chuckles with the image of you with a gun to your head chasing a glass of Prosecco on a stick :D:D:D

• Advertisement

I want!

Thursday – Warm Weather Training Day 6

Pilates this morning, followed by a busy day of sandcastle making. Can’t get over the beaches here – stunning, spotless and empty. It’s a far cry from Dollyer on a hot day :rolleyes:. Recovery run this evening can only be described as Bleurgh. Got a stitch almost straight away (consequence of a big lunch and an ice cream :o) so kept it at a very easy pace and called it at 3 miles.
    • 30:00 (3 miles) on tarmac/trail

Friday – Warm Weather Training Day 7

Last day today and the temperature has dropped. Should make acclimatisation a bit easier – I heard something about snow forecast for Dublin on Sunday ?? Headed out early across the beach to the nearest town for a medium run. Still a bit of a stitch going on initially – I’m putting it down to flabby holiday abs – but it eased after a while. Joined some promising trails but had to turn back on several occasions as they led to private property or just stopped at a wall or a cliff edge :eek:. Another bumpy, undulating run with spectacular views. Starting to feel the effects of a week of indulgences though - I was plodding along, heavy on my feet. I’m afraid to do the ‘wobble’ test (either of them!) so it’ll be back to clean living on Sunday. Thankfully the space in my Grid Roller has been filled, not with prosecco for me, but with wine for our neighbour who was feeding the cat. I’m bringing back sweets for work but they’ll eat anything so I just picked stuff I didn’t like. All possible temptations eliminated!
    • 60:00 (6 miles) on beach/trail/tarmac

Saturday
    Up in the middle of the night for the flight home. It was one of those landings where your life flashes before your eyes for a split second and makes you appreciate being safe on the ground, even if it is 7 degrees and spitting rain :rolleyes:.

A jump on the scales at home has confirmed my worst fears. What’s the formula – 2 seconds extra per mile per extra lb :eek: ? I must pop onto that other thread and have a good rant about the effects of holiday cheer on weight and subsequently performance. I definitely feel the difference in my running when I’m not at my usual weight.

Did some laps of the park instead of unpacking and laundry. Not as if anybody’s going to need their summer clothes again for a while :rolleyes:
    • 45:00 (4.8 miles) mainly on grass

Welcome home! Fairview park missed you :) you can afford to lose a few seconds, you won't be long catching up!

• Advertisement

Thanks, Anna. I think my return is timely, otherwise I might have had to buy 2 seats on the plane!

I like your style :D and welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Haha BG I came home from hols and chose a 2 hour run over unpacking, that was 10 days ago and the suitcases are still needing attention :eek: Welcome back, when's the next race?

Runchick wrote: »
    Haha BG I came home from hols and chose a 2 hour run over unpacking, that was 10 days ago and the suitcases are still needing attention :eek: Welcome back, when's the next race?

Ha ha, we have our priorities right :D.

I've a race on Wednesday :eek: 5K and it's not going to be pretty.

Sunday – Long Run

Lovely long run after emergency Pilates this morning. Headed along the promenade then into St.Anne’s for a lap and a bit before heading back more or less the same way with a lap of Fairview Park to make up the 95 mins. Such perfect running weather, could have kept going but the outlaws are coming to dinner so the house (and the child) must be scrubbed :rolleyes:.
    • 95:00 (10.6 miles) mainly on grass/trail

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 35 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Ha ha, we have our priorities right :D.

I've a race on Wednesday :eek: 5K and it's not going to be pretty.

You never know, holidays are no good for the waistline but they're great for getting the head in the right place, half the battle for me anyway! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Welcome home. I passed you on the seafront and was ignored, sob! Think as I was a traitor cyclist though was more the reason so will forgive.

aquinn wrote: »
    Welcome home. I passed you on the seafront and was ignored, sob! Think as I was a traitor cyclist though was more the reason so will forgive.

No way! Didn't see you. Must have been towards the end of the run. Sorry! And hi !

No way! Didn't see you. Must have been towards the end of the run. Sorry! And hi !

this is getting to be a habit, BG!! :p

annapr wrote: »
    this is getting to be a habit, BG!! :p

:o

• Advertisement

Monday
    ‘Recovery’ run this evening along the promenade turned into a bit of a battle once I turned around at the halfway point. Aha, that explains the grimaces on the other runners’ faces running towards me while I coasted along merrily towards the Wooden Bridge (keeping my eyes peeled for D3 boardsies lest I blank one by mistake :o). Nothing easy about the way back, it was a fight to stay upright and hard work to just move forward. Took me a full 2 minutes longer to get back. Just as well I hadn’t gone for longer as I’d have missed storytime and been in serious trouble!

I officially rejoined my club today. Haven’t been a proper member since before BG Jr was born. Even though I won’t make many training sessions I’ve been thinking about it for a while and would like to try the Graded Meets (just once, in my life, then never again), the Novice XC and maybe some of the Masters events, all of which are more (only?) accessible through a club.
    • 42:00 (4.5 miles) on footpath/grass

That is the best news!!! (The club joining, not the horrendous run!) Who are your club btw, RS?

That is the best news!!! (The club joining, not the horrendous run!) Who are your club btw, RS?

Not RS although it's probably the nearest to me. It's Crusaders. Cru for life, woo hoo!:D

Not RS although it's probably the nearest to me. It's Crusaders. Cru for life, woo hoo!:D

Ah, so there'll be 50 +1 descending on Terenure come the 17th ;):D Yeah, don't think *one or two* people would have been happy with a non-cru choice!

I have it on good authority that Cru is the closest club! Scientifically measured. :)

It's ok BG, I was in a field training at BC so relax you won't see me Monday and Wed on the seafront.

I, thanks to Dublin Runner's profile last week, only discovered that Clonliffe Harriers is actually the closest so was pondering there for a visit rather than RS or Cru.

It's ok BG, I was in a field training at BC so relax you won't see me Monday and Wed on the seafront.

I, thanks to Dublin Runner's profile last week, only discovered that Clonliffe Harriers is actually the closest so was pondering there for a visit rather than RS or Cru.

hmm, think Cru is actually closer but maybe the .5k that you are up the road makes the difference...

Oh yeah. I've 4.3km to Morton and 5.8 to Irishtown. I must have checked it on a much busier traffic time the last time.

Oh yeah. I've 4.3km to Morton and 5.8 to Irishtown. I must have checked it on a much busier traffic time the last time.

i just google mapped it (obviously busy here!) and Morton is apparently .5k closer to you than Irishtown... anyhow, are you going to join a club?

• Advertisement

Maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Might go and see what's happening once BC is finished in a few weeks.

Advertisement