Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Ososlo wrote: »
    Still laughing at the thought of you doing your stretching on the DART!

I have no shame! But I was discreet. And there was a woman asleep, snoring delicately, who provided a distraction for the rest of the carriage who paid no heed to me as a result :D

Monday – Rest

Mr. B’s jolly important business trip abroad was cancelled so I had an 11th hour reprieve from certain houseboundedness for the week. First thing I did when I got the news was book Pilates for Wednesday night :D. Then mentally rejigged the week’s planned TV viewing :rolleyes:. Legs feeling surprisingly ok after yesterday’s long run so just did a bit of foam rolling ahead of tomorrow’s intervals.

Tuesday – 5K effort intervals

Beautiful day. Co-operative child. No excuses. Headed towards the promenade for this with a 950m stretch mapped out in my head. Hit the target on reps 1 and 3 but fell a little short on 2 and 4 as they were into a gentle breeze howling gale force wind. Happy with these. Could have done another one but would have opted for a rep with the wind behind me.
    • 5.6 miles incl. 4 x 4 mins @ 5K effort* 3 mins rec (47:00) Approx paces 6:47/6:53/6:47/6:58

*I realise I’m cheating the plan a little by having the distance mapped out in advance rather than going purely by effort but I do like having some feedback (however clunky) as to how I’m doing. I seem to be hitting the pace ok though so might just do next week’s session by feel and resist the urge to measure it afterwards. Oh even the thought makes me twitchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    This is what I use to work out distance in advance for intervals

Pink and pretty you say ... well, when you put it like that :D

Cheers for the link, great way to measure. There are really pretty garmins out there ya know...just saying!!!
    annapr wrote: »
    I'll be lurking on the corner trying to tempt you with a glittery garmin...

...seriously, they are brilliant for the oul' stats. I spend more time looking at the details of my runs than actually running :D

Me too! Spend ages on Garmin Connect looking at stats, how many miles my runners have, total monthly mileage, pace, heart rate....are you sure we cant tempt you??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

the G-word can help your twitching... so much more efficient!

Mimojo wrote: »
    Cheers for the link, great way to measure. There are really pretty garmins out there ya know...just saying!!!

Me too! Spend ages on Garmin Connect looking at stats, how many miles my runners have, total monthly mileage, pace, heart rate....are you sure we cant tempt you??!
    the G-word can help your twitching... so much more efficient!

I sense a conspiracy ;)

Still not convinced I need one. Might see how the whole 'effort' based 5K training goes first. And then start dropping hints...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Those paces are dropping nicely and consistently! Looking good!

Wednesday – Strength & Conditioning

Deliberately trying to reduce the mileage this week after 3 weeks of 30/30+ miles. Also feeling a bit twingy around my back and hips which always sends me into a state of nervous hypochondria :eek:. I think Sunday’s long run took in too many concrete footpaths and I also did my 5K reps on tarmac which is probably a bit much for my poor discs. So just did a couple of miles on grass before Pilates as a warm up. Good class, I never enjoy it as such, in the same way I don’t enjoy the gym, but I do appreciate the benefits and the positive effect on my running. I’m making small changes to the gym routine each week – planks are now 70 seconds, whoop whoop and I added a short leg raise into the side planks which are now 40 seconds. One extra full press up too, somebody stop me :rolleyes:. Felt very tight and immobile going into Body Balance but much better after the class. Should have walked home to keep the miles down but it was late, I was hungry, and it’s just so much easier to run!
    • 30:00 total easy runs (3.4 miles)

Thursday – Hill Sprints

Met Annapr for these and did an off-road loop of the park to warm up and discuss the trending A/R topics before hitting the reps. Enough of these sessions and we'll solve all the world's problems ;). Managed 7 reps in total before I had to bail for work. Easy jog home, no time to stretch so trying to do some moves under the desk.
    • 2 miles approx. incl 7 x 8-10 sec hill sprints off 3 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

no time to stretch so trying to do some moves under the desk]

I always try a few sly calf stretches at the photocopier. .quick look around..few rocks up on to my toes..sly roll back down...not been caught yet. Though I'm so short I can just pretending to check the document feeder!

Thats so cool about the 40 sec pilates hold. You'll be a penguin before you know it. ;)

I always try a few sly calf stretches at the photocopier. .quick look around..few rocks up on to my toes..sly roll back down...not been caught yet. Though I'm so short I can just pretending to check the document feeder!

I must steal that one :D
    Thats so cool about the 40 sec pilates hold. You'll be a penguin before you know it. ;)

A penguin, with (futile) aspirations to be a seal :rolleyes:

Enjoy Laragh tomorrow, BG!

• Advertisement

How did the trail run go? From the few reports I saw, it sounds like good messy fun!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    How did the trail run go? From the few reports I saw, it sounds like good messy fun!

And there I was thinking I would have the exclusive, breaking news story from Laragh! Didn't realise there were a few from boards there. Then you will have heard about the cake !?! I'm still in a sugar coma.

Yeah the scarlet pimpernel Barryoneill says he was there ;) but nobody has proof :D Sounds worth it for the cake alone!

Friday

Back and hips feeling a lot less twingy today but going to stick to the off-road rule for my runs until it’s 100% again. Headed to St.Anne’s after Pilates and Body Balance for an inside loop of the perimeter which is pretty much all on grass and trail. A lovely run in the sunshine, kept the effort easy..Would have like to go longer but trying to keep the miles down this week so I don’t end up on the scrapheap.
    • 4 miles (34:30) on trail/grass

Saturday – Laragh 11K Trail Run

Signed up for this a while back without reading the small print and only realised a few days ago when glancing at the race briefing that half the course (the part on National Parks land) was unmarked :eek: Oops! It was more of a fundraiser than anything else so the plan was to run it as a LSR and not twist an ankle, disappear into a bog hole or be eaten by the Gruffalo in the deep dark woods. Road trip at silly o’clock this morning to Laragh with a couple of friends who I had persuaded to join me with the promise of cake. Sure enough when we got to registration at the local primary school (the beneficiary of the event) there was an entire ROOM filled with cake. But first there was 11K to navigate (actually it was billed as an 11K, but they admitted on FB that it was 12K, my Strava put it at 12.1K). The pre-run briefing described the route pretty well and I knew we wouldn’t be leading the pack so I wasn’t too worried about getting lost. Some of the top runners did a bit extra I believe but us midpackers were grand, just following each other like sheep so someone obviously knew the way. It was super mucky in parts and most people fell, slipped or had some sort of a tumble at some point. It sounds like I’m not really selling this but it was a super run and I would do it again next year for sure. And now that I know the route I would race it rather than just treat it as a long run. Loved every minute of it, especially the descent from Brockagh and the spectacular views. And the cake, OMG, sugar coma. Photo attached, best spread ever!
    • 7.5 miles on trail/rock/muck/bog (just under 90:00 I think including a rest at the top)

Out tonight so not confident about the quality of Sunday’s run……

Definitely sounds like fun! My trousers tightened just looking at that spread :D Word of advice...give yourself a rest day/very short-just-for-the-sake-of-it-run today...Hope the head's not hurting too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Did you take that picture? I think I was standing beside ya!

Did you take that picture? I think I was standing beside ya!

No way, really ? I hope I didn't shove you out of the way to get to the cake ;) ?
    Just read your report, you must have been part of the leading pack, good for you. The descent was class, wasn't it ?

Definitely sounds like fun! My trousers tightened just looking at that spread :D Word of advice...give yourself a rest day/very short-just-for-the-sake-of-it-run today...Hope the head's not hurting too much!

No worries, I'll be taking it easy. Didn't race it yesterday so body is ok. As for my head, well that's another matter...:o Happy Mothers Day, hope you're being spoiled.

Thanks! They're doing very well, bless their little cotton socks. The 4yo keeps calling it valentine's day :D Hope your day is the same!

Thanks! They're doing very well, bless their little cotton socks. The 4yo keeps calling it valentine's day :D Hope your day is the same!

I got a Simpsons card, a lie-on and, I believe, a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

No way, really ? I hope I didn't shove you out of the way to get to the cake ;) ?
    Just read your report, you must have been part of the leading pack, good for you. The descent was class, wasn't it ?

Ah you were very polite! Yes there was about 4/5 of us chasing about three ahead and all of a sudden we lost them. We kept on a path when we should have been turning right. I'd say we lost about 20 places. Made most of them up on that descent though, I though I was going to take off at one stage.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

sounds lovely, with the view and the falls and the muck! Good to have the prosecco for later :)

Sunday

Didn’t get out until about 6pm and the plan was just for a super easy recovery run. Started off in the park but got the heck outta there as dusk descended and it got a bit creepy. Continued on towards the promenade seafront as far as Vernon Ave. then turned for home. No watch so ended up doing a bit more than anticipated.
    • 4.7 miles mainly on grass (45:00)

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES : 27 (step back week)

a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge.

Turns out this is a bottle of Moet Pink Champagne! Happy Mothers Day to me :D. Going to save it for a non-school night.

Turns out this is a bottle of Moet Pink Champagne! Happy Mothers Day to me :D. Going to save it for a non-school night.

you could always bring it to Howth on Good Friday ? :D

you could always bring it to Howth on Good Friday ? :D

I could.

I won't though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I could.

I won't though ;)

Phew as I think I'm designated driver this time :D

Yeah, bad timing! Let's have it on Saturday next year....or Mothers Weekend...I like the sound of that :D

Yeah, bad timing! Let's have it on Saturday next year....or Mothers Weekend...I like the sound of that :D

Could you handle a Fathers weekend though ;-) ??

• Advertisement

Could you handle a Fathers weekend though ;-) ??

No need to take equality that far ;)

Advertisement