Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck, G. Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Good luck, focus on the cake!
    Firedance wrote: »
    good luck tomorrow!
    annapr wrote: »
    Best of luck in Dunboyne tomorrow... go kick ass!!! all that tapering has to pay off ;)
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Good luck in dunboyne!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Good luck, G. Run well.

Thanks all! Just made the mistake of looking at the forecast for Dunboyne tomorrow. There's a 40Km/p.h. wind due to whoop up at precisely 3pm. Revised strategy is to find a windbreaker travelling at 6:52 pace and just hang on for dear life :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

well.... ????? how'd you get on?

Dunboyne 4 mile – Sunday 29/03/15
    28:25, no splits due to watch malfunction

I will get my excuses out of the way first.

1. It was windy
    2. It was very windy
    3. It was very very windy

OMG the wind !!! A watch malfunction at the outset meant I didn’t get any meaningful splits at the first mile marker so I’d no idea of pace until halfway, and that 2nd mile was possibly the toughest mile I’ve ever ran – the wind was particularly blustery on this stretch. I had a 7:10 split for the 2nd mile so I knew a PB was very unlikely and certainly my target time was looking like whatever the opposite of sandbagging is. The weird thing is I felt ok, and like I was running well but in a vat of jelly. The split at the 3rd mile was 6:57, so not too bad and I figured at this point if I’d had a good first mile, I could still sneak a PB but my heart sank when I saw the finishing clock already over 28 minutes at the top of the finishing straight. 28:30 on the clock at 28:25 chip time. I think this is the first race since I started logging on boards that I’ve been disappointed with, which considering the amount of races I’ve done in that time is not too bad. It put manners on me anyway – no complacency here!!

I did console myself by comparing a few of the top women’s times from last year and most were 30 seconds or so slower so that cheered me up no end (I was 20 seconds slower). I was a few places higher up the rankings compared to last year too so I will take that and say no more about it. Onwards and upwards!

Did I mention it was windy?
    • 4 miles + 1.5 w/up + 0.5 c/d

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES : 27

Taking a few days off running now to recharge the batteries so have finished up the stats for March.

TOTAL MILES FOR MARCH : 124 (Vs. 109 in 2014)

well.... ????? how'd you get on?

Lol, see above. Just continuing the general trend of meh for the neighbourhood's weekend racing exploits :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Lol, see above. Just continuing the general trend of meh for the neighbourhood's weekend racing exploits :rolleyes:

was it windy out there? :eek: Just kidding... I wish I could go anywhere near that fast on a bad day! or on a good day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

was it windy out there? :eek: Just kidding... I wish I could go anywhere near that fast on a bad day! or on a good day :D

+1, I had a blast of that wind on the last stretch of my jog and it nearly felt like I was at a standstill at points. That was a good, solid run in the conditions and you know that there is more in the tank to come. Interesting comparison on last year, as you say yourself, you're up in the ranks so well done! Enjoy the few rest days and hope you've a glass of something *refreshing* in your hand :) See you Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Dunboyne 4 mile – Sunday 29/03/15
    28:25, no splits due to watch malfunction

I will get my excuses out of the way first.

1. It was windy
    2. It was very windy
    3. It was very very windy

OMG the wind !!! A watch malfunction at the outset meant I didn’t get any meaningful splits at the first mile marker so I’d no idea of pace until halfway, and that 2nd mile was possibly the toughest mile I’ve ever ran – the wind was particularly blustery on this stretch. I had a 7:10 split for the 2nd mile so I knew a PB was very unlikely and certainly my target time was looking like whatever the opposite of sandbagging is. The weird thing is I felt ok, and like I was running well but in a vat of jelly. The split at the 3rd mile was 6:57, so not too bad and I figured at this point if I’d had a good first mile, I could still sneak a PB but my heart sank when I saw the finishing clock already over 28 minutes at the top of the finishing straight. 28:30 on the clock at 28:25 chip time. I think this is the first race since I started logging on boards that I’ve been disappointed with, which considering the amount of races I’ve done in that time is not too bad. It put manners on me anyway – no complacency here!!

I did console myself by comparing a few of the top women’s times from last year and most were 30 seconds or so slower so that cheered me up no end (I was 20 seconds slower). I was a few places higher up the rankings compared to last year too so I will take that and say no more about it. Onwards and upwards!

Did I mention it was windy?
    • 4 miles + 1.5 w/up + 0.5 c/d

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES : 27

Taking a few days off running now to recharge the batteries so have finished up the stats for March.

TOTAL MILES FOR MARCH : 124 (Vs. 109 in 2014)

well done BG! I know your disappointed but I can concur, it was ridiculously windy and by all accounts the wind was never at your back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done on making gains on your placing since last year. That was no mean feat for the day that was in it.
    You should be very pleased!
    Was in the hall afterwards and would have been nice to meet up. Maybe next year!
    Everything about that race is excellent! I'd definltely do it again! Didn't realise just how close it is to Dublin too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Sorry to hear BG. But still a great time, and there's always the next race :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Well done BG, that blooming wind is a nightmare, nothing for you to be disappointed about today :D

Ososlo wrote: »
    Was in the hall afterwards and would have been nice to meet up. Maybe next year!
    Everything about that race is excellent! I'd definltely do it again! Didn't realise just how close it is to Dublin too!

Absolutely, it's a great race. We were unlucky this year with the wind, it's a great course when the weather plays ball. Would've been nice to meet up, I know you wanted to keep this low key so feel free to drop me a PM if any of our races match up over the next while. I think we all deserve a medal for battling through that wind today!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    hope you've a glass of something *refreshing* in your hand :) See you Friday!

Of course :D. See you Friday, looking forward to it. Must hone my baking skills.

Sorry to hear BG. But still a great time, and there's always the next race :)

Yes, next week :D

(no wonder I'm in a heap! Will stop racing during the summer, but 'til then...)

Runchick wrote: »
    Well done BG, that blooming wind is a nightmare, nothing for you to be disappointed about today :D

Thanks Runchick. Give me a XC or trail run any day, where time doesn't matter. But I was ready to bail after mile 3 so I'm glad I battled through it and finished. Something to beat next year :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Running in a vat of jelly - that sounds familiar! A very decent run in the conditions, good on ya.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Running in a vat of jelly - that sounds familiar! A very decent run in the conditions, good on ya.

Thanks Murph. All that resistance training will stand to us..:D

Mileage Table

Month 2015 2014
    January 101 86
    February 109 75
    March 124 109
    April
    May
    June
    July
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December
    334 270

Go me creating a table from scratch :D I will never admit to how long this actually took me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Mileage Table

Month 2015 2014
    January 101 86
    February 109 75
    March 124 109
    April
    May
    June
    July
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December
    334 270

Go me creating a table from scratch :D I will never admit to how long this actually took me.

Hope you don't mind if I steal that?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I spent an unforgivable amount of time trying to do mine last month. Eventually I just stole Adrians.

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind if I steal that?;)

Help yourself. Although I'm sure there are fancier ones around to steal :pac::pac:
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I spent an unforgivable amount of time trying to do mine last month. Eventually I just stole Adrians.

Lol, so it's not just me. I did try to steal Adrian's but I couldn't even figure out how to do that :o

Help yourself. Although I'm sure there are fancier ones around to steal :pac::pac:

Lol, so it's not just me. I did try to steal Adrian's but I couldn't even figure out how to do that :o

in fairness, it's not the most intuitive interface ever... definitely no Steve Jobs involved in Boards design... says she who only recently figured out how to multi-quote... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

main thing BG is that the March total can be higher, you have tomorrow still! I'm going to steal Adrian's table myself & hope the similarities won't end with the table...

main thing BG is that the March total can be higher, you have tomorrow still! I'm going to steal Adrian's table myself & hope the similarities won't end with the table...

I'm done for March, being sensible and taking a few scheduled rest days to recharge *pats self on back*

Yup, Adrian's table is super impressive, his ears must be burning over in Barca!

Today is the last day of my enforced resting, can’t wait to hit the trails tomorrow! So nothing to report other than a Pilates class yesterday and the sad news that our lovely Polish instructor is leaving for Canada :(. I was so sad I could barely do my roll-ups. No matter how good her replacement is she won’t be telling us to pull our ‘belly-bottoms’ to our spines or press our ‘feets’ together. I spent most of the class talking myself out of going to the gym and Body Balance as I felt a bit ropey and for once it worked. I trudged home in the rain and had an early night instead. Good call as feeling great this morning after a whopping 8.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep :D.
    • 0 miles

8.5 hours?? Jealous is not the word but I think an interrupted night's sleep would be too much of a shock to the system now :D How was the grumpometer this week with the enforced rest?!
    See you tomorrow!

8.5 hours?? Jealous is not the word but I think an interrupted night's sleep would be too much of a shock to the system now :D
    I know!! I am a new woman. In retrospect I feel a bit guilty posting that up around these parts :o
    How was the grumpometer this week with the enforced rest?!
    See you tomorrow!

Ha ha, Mr. B would say it's always at 11 ;) But in fact it was surprisingly low, I think I needed the break! See you tomorrow and best of luck this evening.

Haha so you should be :D (ashamed!)
    Thanks and see you tomorrow :)

Friday – Bog of Frogs Trail (Howth) – Boards Trail Outing #2
    After 4 days of resting I couldn’t wait to hit the trails on Friday and it was lovely to have company on a route I normally run solo. Mixed luck with the weather, it was a bit grey and cold but it meant the route wasn’t jammers with fair-weather walkers and it was clear enough to get some nice photos en route. The trail was slippier and muckier than normal, no surprise given the rainfall this week. Naturally I took advantage of all this to have my spectacular flail (fail?) captured on camera and posted on the wonderweb for any and all to see :o:o:o. Balaclava for me next time ;)
    Any calories expended on this run were replenished tenfold with delicious flapjacks, banana bread, blondes (sp?) and ‘other’ baked goods (Matt Reilly take a bow, turns out you inspire both Laura_ac3 and me, all the way down to the packaging ;))
    • 7.9 miles (trail) – 90:00 or thereabouts moving time.

Saturday – Ardgillan Parkrun
    :D Course PB :D
    The last time I did Ardgillan was just before Christmas when I was still buzzing from a good run at Jingle Bells and doing loads of hills in preparation for the Fat Turkey 10K. So while I was hoping for a better time today I hadn’t the specific preparation in the legs like last time. I met a friend who had promised to drag me around (I don’t think he even broke a sweat :rolleyes:) and we lined up a few rows back after a warm up jog, a few drills and some strides. The course is pretty much downhill for the first mile or so and I was feeling good, overtaking on the way down. I spotted the leading woman who I recognised from the last outing and tried to latch on to her but she was stronger on the flat bits and she maintained the gap on the uphills. After the initial downhill the route is two loops at the base of the Estate which involves a couple of short uphills and then a longish drag. Fine the first time, but jeez by the second loop I really wanted to call it a day. Then my friend gave me some brilliant advice which was to ease back slightly on the sharper climbs to conserve energy for the less hilly sections. This really worked and the gap was closing. At one stage I was so close but by that point I was really sapped of energy and it was taking everything I had just to hang on. The finish is a killer – you turn up to the Castle and it’s a steep climb of maybe 250m. I saw by the watch that I might sneak a course PB and gave it a bit of welly even though I really had nothing left, my main thought at that point being I’m sure as heck not going to take less than a PB now after this torture. So all that for 11 seconds but I’m really pleased with the way I ran. 2nd lady and 14th overall. A good morning’s work, finished off with a massive breakfast.

I know I worked hard because the young un had me playing tag later out in Newbridge House and I couldn’t catch her :rolleyes:
    • 4.5 miles total (trail) including w/up and c/down

• Advertisement

Wow, that is fantastic!! Sounds like you really raced and dug deep too! And second?!!! And a course PB....I'm running out of exclamation marks here :D:D nice BG, nice..... :)

Advertisement