Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Thanks Greenmachine, possibly doing the BHAA 5 miler in Dunboyne next week. Might get another 2 seconds off if I'm lucky ;)
    Looks like you guys are holding the postponed meet & train the night after our 5 mile :( tragic! To be confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Firedance wrote: »
    Looks like you guys are holding the postponed meet & train the night after our 5 mile :( tragic! To be confirmed

I know! It's still up in the air as far as I know with permits and the like having to be got but I have put my name forward as a non-running volunteer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hey BG well done. Lovely splits for the first four. Don't worry sub 35 is yours before the summer is out.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hey BG well done. Lovely splits for the first four.

Thanks but that would be down to the pacers, nothing to do with me :o
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Don't worry sub 35 is yours before the summer is out.

Before the month is out ?? Trying again next Tuesday like a big eejit...

Tuesday
    Recovery run the long way home from Drumcondra. Chose a route from Griffith Park, down Mobhi Road, up that pesky hill to the Met Office, down Griffith Avenue and back via Clonliffe Road. Gorgeous sunshine, but jeez the wind! Getting a bit fed up with it now it must be said. BG Jr. is going through the ‘why’ phase at the moment and keeps asking me why it’s so windy…em, ask Daddy.
    • 40:00 (4.2 miles)

Calves still a bit tight after Sunday but lots of foam rolling and stretching should see them right in a day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Aw my old stomping grounds from the apartment we were living in - just by that pesky hill. I used to see one guy regularly about once a week, he wore a lot of the same race series tops as me.

And yes, this wind would drive you bananas.

Wednesday

Really good Pilates class this evening. Our new instructor seems determined to have us all master some of the tougher moves and breaks them down into smaller/easier moves so that they all – eventually – come together. Felt strong today :D. Headed out along the promenade after for a very easy medium length run. Tra la la la la up to and along the Wooden Bridge to the end of the pier, then BANG! into the toughest wind I’ve encountered so far this year and that’s saying something. It was so deceptive, I wasn’t prepared and my legs are obviously still tired from Sunday, so I found this a real struggle the whole way back. Finished up in the gym with about half the usual routine (arms/legs and some planks) but too tired and hungry to do any more. Slept like the dead.
    • 60:00 (6 miles)

Thursday - Fartlek

An easier speed session was called for this morning so chose to do my favourite Fartlek: (30/45/60/75/90/75/60/45/30 seconds with equal recoveries). Did an extra 60 by mistake because my brain was befuddled and lost track :rolleyes:. Enjoyed the session but felt a bit despondent when I saw the paces afterwards on Garmin Connect because they were more like tempo paces than 3K pace. Silly really, I was quite happy with the workout until I saw the splits. Lesson learned, leave the Garmin at home when doing fartlek.
    • 40:00 (4.4 miles including 9-10 mins fartlek)

I am almost, but not quite, tempted to run on a dreadmill tomorrow to avoid another battle with the wind :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I wouldn't be too down about the splits, everyone seems to say that the paces on Garmin over the shorter distances aren't that reliable or worthwhile. More about the effort I would think?

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too down about the splits, everyone seems to say that the paces on Garmin over the shorter distances aren't that reliable or worthwhile. More about the effort I would think?

yep this does seem to be the case, I think seems to work its best over 1 x mile or 1 x kilometer, everything else seems to produce varying degress of success (or not!).

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Firedance wrote: »
    yep this does seem to be the case, I think seems to work its best over 1 x mile or 1 x kilometer, everything else seems to produce varying degress of success (or not!).

True, although so far they have been accurate enough so I can't just cherry pick the favourable ones :rolleyes:. If I'm honest I didn't work all that hard this morning so the splits are reflective of that. After a session like this when it's a big FAIL over such short distances I wonder how I ever managed (or will manage ever again) to string 5 miles together at a faster pace. Gotta love adrenaline :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I wouldn't even time splits as short as that to be honest. Serves no purpose doing so, just run them at the right effort.
    Anyway you ran 35 minutes for 5 miles on Sunday, that's the shape you are in. The fartlek is just a means to getting a racing result not an objective in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Meno is right as usual :) you're just being hard on yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yep. The race is the most specific session you can do, as ecoli was wont to say. (I think it was him anyway).

menoscemo wrote: »
    I wouldn't even time splits as short as that to be honest. Serves no purpose doing so, just run them at the right effort.
    Anyway you ran 35.04 minutes for 5 miles on Sunday, that's the shape you are in. The fartlek is just a means to getting a racing result not an objective in itself.

FYP ;). Thanks Meno, you are right of course. I was just having a mini rant and sure who else is going to listen to me :rolleyes:
    annapr wrote: »
    Meno is right as usual :) you're just being hard on yourself.

I probably am. I am also sugar deprived (self-imposed). It's not a good combination!
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Yep. The race is the most specific session you can do, as ecoli was wont to say. (I think it was him anyway).

Ha ha, I must do it again so. On Tuesday. :pac::pac::pac:

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    FYP ;). Thanks Meno, you are right of course. I was just having a mini rant and sure who else is going to listen to me :rolleyes:

I probably am. I am also sugar deprived (self-imposed). It's not a good combination!

Ha ha, I must do it again so. On Tuesday. :pac::pac::pac:

We're here 24/7 to listen to rants of all shapes & sizes :D have an apple for gods sake before it gets serious!!

Friday – Recovery

Seem to be doing a lot of recovering this week :rolleyes:. Definitely confirms I left nothing out there on the streets of Terenure (except perhaps a small piece of my soul…)

Early morning trip to the Bons for a Flabs investigation but a swift ‘nothing to see here, credit card please, next!’ means it’s not going to be as simple as I’d hoped. So it’s back to managing it now to reduce the odd of a Flabs Attack (I may patent this for when they finally discover what’s going on and I get to name it). Pilates was good, Body Balance less good (another new instructor) then a recovery run around the Raheny 5 route before casting my vote and trying to explain what the referendum was about to BG Jr. She thinks you should be allowed marry whoever you want (she’s going to marry Batman)
    • 5 miles (48:00)

Question: Has Manhattan Popcorn always contained almost 20% saturated fat :eek: (hydrogenated coconut oil) ??? Halfway through a bag last night and had to bin it once I actually read the label. Back to popping my own obviously but I seem to remember it being touted as a healthy snack before :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Sorry it's not the quick fix, BG. Don't know about flabs in particular but lots of these things can go through quiet spells when you'll get a break from "managing" (snore ...). Good to see you left it all on on the roads of Terenure, you'll have banked some extra fitness for the next attempt :)

Saturday

What a great day. First lie-on in about 4 weeks, followed by a long* run in the sunshine. An hour long sports massage to get some life back into my legs. And to top it off an overwhelming majority Yes vote. Happy days.

This was all later balanced out by a kids party lest I get too pleased about things :rolleyes:
    • 8 miles (75:00)

*Upper limit of my taper-week Dubgal approved long run. It was actually 8.01 miles but don’t tell her.

Rest day tomorrow. This, along with my new legs should give me a shot at 34:59 on Tuesday. Thanks again DG for your tapering advice. Legs are feeling a lot fresher than of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Haha I heard that :mad: Only joking, glad to hear the legs are fresh. Help, I'm emotionally involved now :eek: (well more than I was before!) That table needs you!!!

Sunday – Rest

This was tough! Very odd not to be running on a Sunday when not injured. Had to live vicariously through BG Jr running the 60m dash in the Community Games. Silver medal, woo hoo! Good to know someone in the family can bring home the bling :D
    • TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 28

• Advertisement

Yay! Go BG jnr! Your 'bling' will come on Tuesday...

Aw bless that is so cute! Better get that medal board up ;):D

And WELL DONE on your Sunday rest!!! I know it was hard but you will thank yourself come Tuesday. Eeeeeeeeasy jog tomorrow with strides towards the end. Good luck!

Congrats to small BG :). And good luck for the next race

Monday

Felt a bit slow and sluggish on this run but I think that’s fairly normal (for me anyway) before a goal race. Loved the strides though even if I narrowly avoided a sliothar in the head on the last one. That’s what I get for running across a GAA pitch in Fairview Park.
    • 4 miles easy incl. 6 x 80m strides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Typical athlete to leave it till the last rep to nearly get creamed and have to go home.
    No flaking out early like :p

I should probably add - in case people think I am a bit thick or have a death wish - that the pitch was empty when I started my strides. Two lads wandered on during the second last one and started hitting (batting ? hurling ?) to each other. I though they might desist during the last rep but apparently not :(

Racing tonight? Good luck if you are.

:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well? We're waiting...

• Advertisement

Can we celebrate? Can we can we? :p

Well done, that was tight :)

Looks like white smoke from Camp Bungy.

libelula wrote: »

yes we can!!!

\o/ -o- \o/

Well done, that was tight :)

How'd you do yourself, meno?

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    How'd you do yourself, meno?

Ran a sneaky PB, albeit I have gone slightly faster in a 10k before (hadn't raced a 5 mile since Raheny 2012 :eek:)

Ran a sneaky PB, albeit I have gone slightly faster in a 10k before (hadn't raced a 5 mile since Raheny 2012 :eek:)

what does that mean? You went faster in a 10k than you did tonight in a 5 mile? but it's a 5 mile pb? :cool: a pb is a pb!

libelula wrote: »
    yes we can!!!

The party has started without me ;)

34:56 :D

Report later. First dinner.

Anyone got a link to that table .... :D ?

Get your sub35 ass back here right now and put this back on the front page!!!!

Edit: jinx!

Fantastic, really delighted for you!!! Yeeehaaa!!

• Advertisement

what does that mean? You went faster in a 10k than you did tonight in a 5 mile? but it's a 5 mile pb? :cool: a pb is a pb!

Yeah it's a Pb and I am happy because it was much better than last week's 5k. Ran 31:12 officially tonight (no start mat, I had 31:09) but I went through 5 miles in a 10k a few years ago in 30:50ish.

Anyway sorry for the hijack, well done BG and get youself on that table ;)

as Simon Cowell would say, you absolutely nailed it :D

Whew! Glad it was not any tighter! Great great time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Excellent :D

Good work BG :D

BHAA Government Services 5 miles (Dunboyne)

34:56 gun time (PB)
    Garmin Splits (6:55, 6:59, 7:01, 7:05, 6:51 + 3 seconds to make it to the finish line)
    199th overall, 20th ? F, 5th in age group

After panicking all day that I wasn’t going to make it to Dunboyne on time, I arrived with over an hour to spare :rolleyes:. Did a 2 mile warm up, out and back the last mile of the route at a snail’s pace to waste time. Strolled towards the start line, met FD and a couple of clubmates along the way, then lined up 6 or 7 rows back. There was a big crowd (450+) and I didn’t want to get in the way of the faster runners but at the same time I’d be kicking myself if I didn’t make the target by a few seconds having started too far back. Turned out to be fine, I ended up with similar paced runners quickly enough without getting elbowed and settled into a comfortably hard pace. I reckon I lost about 5 seconds getting to the start line so it was tight in the end (yes, Meno, I agree !) and a chip time would have given me a bit of breathing space. But it is what it is and I started the watch on the gun so I wouldn’t be kidding myself.

The course is lovely – country roads, flatish but a few little bumps here and there to make it interesting. And of course the weather was just perfect, warm but not too warm, a gentle breeze but not windy.

I had remembered to set the watch to pace/time rather than the pace/distance setting I had used for Terenure. And of course the lap beeper gizmo that flashes up each mile split which is really handy (this is probably old hat to all you Garmin addicts out there, but I’m like a child with a new toy).

First mile was grand, felt easy. Second mile was ok (at this point in Terenure I was already dying…). Third mile I was starting to work hard. Fourth mile I may have waved that magic wand. Fifth mile I had to tell myself to HTFU or I wasn’t going to make it and having got that far it would be a bit defeatist to not give it everything for 7 minutes. 7 minutes – less than an episode of Charlie & Lola, less time than it takes to drink a cup of tea. But this 7 minutes was the longest of my life. The magic wand wasn’t working, my legs, lungs and abs (not the Flabs though) were in bits. There was a marker at the 4.5 mile point, if I could just hang on I was going to make it. Told myself if I got to the final turn before the track by 33 minutes I was going to make it. 33:00 on the button. Oh holy feck the track is going on forever, just keep going for one more minute then you can stop I promise, 30 more seconds, 10 seconds, 5 seconds more. Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh. I definitely don’t want to see any race photos. I have no doubt I look like I was being chased by the devil around that track. The things we do to get our name in lights on a spreadsheet.

Congratulations to Firedance on her shiny new PB and to Meno on his official one. Good to meet AMK and Mulberry too. Thanks to Dubgal for the tapering advice, that must have been what clinched it :D.

That’s me done with the 5 milers for this year. I really don’t think I can improve over that distance for the foreseeable so going to try for a 10K PB then hang up the racing shoes for the summer to focus on base building.

• 7 miles incl. 5 @ 6:59 . No cool down (tut, tut)

Oh, and as an incentive for the sub 35 I had promised myself a pair of these beauties. :)

What a great report and well done again on the well-deserved PB! Love the reward :D

Well done, G. There was no way you were letting it get away from you this time. Delighted for you.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    What a great report and well done again on the well-deserved PB! Love the reward :D

DG I have good and bad news for you.
    The good news is that Emilia won last night. I could see her up the road for most of the race but she was really strong and never drifted back.

Now the bad news.
    I told her she seemed to pace it really well (for once) and she told me it was thanks to the big dirty Garmin 305 she had on her arm. No gold jewellery watch last night :eek::eek:

super report - LOVE the reward!! enjoy your PB buzz today

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done G, delighted you got under 35...

• Advertisement
Advertisement