Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I can't believe you got completely wiped out and the owner didn't check or apologise. Appalling behaviour, good to hear fellow runners minded you and that you are ok. I'm all about anger management /character building runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

adrian522 wrote: »
    Glad to hear you are ok, that's a scary one, I'm always wary of dogs, even though 98% of them are fine.

Thanks Adrian, I've had all the usual encounters before and the standard responses from dog-owners - "he's just a puppy" and so on, but yesterday was a unique experience in terms of the sheer velocity of the dog and the attitude of the owner. All good again now though :)
    Runchick wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about yesterday BG :( I run mostly with my dog, often off lead but keep her under control, shame on the owner, glad you're feeling ok today.

Thanks Runchick. I know the vast majority of dog owners are very responsible. Just my luck to encounter one with no manners :rolleyes:
    Sorry to hear about your mishap BG. I would be hoping mad if someone dog ran under my feet.

Thanks Greenmachine. Give me a cat any day :rolleyes:
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ouch G, glad to hear you're ok though. Love the anger management/tempo run :D

Ha ha, I did another one today. So so chilled now :cool:
    aquinn wrote: »
    I can't believe you got completely wiped out and the owner didn't check or apologise. Appalling behaviour, good to hear fellow runners minded you and that you are ok. I'm all about anger management /character building runs.

Everyone was so nice, couldn't have been better looked after. Faith in human (if not canine) nature restored.

Sunday – Long Run

Woke up this morning pleasantly surprised to be in reasonable shape after Digby-gate. Just the one bruise and a sore shoulder but nothing wrong with my legs. Or my brain (Mr B would beg to differ here :rolleyes:).

Schedule said 95 minutes. I headed for the Howth Road with a loose plan of doing the Raheny 5 loop and back home again. I hadn’t consciously thought about doing another ‘anger management’ run but after the first split beeped at 8:32 and I felt comfortable, I decided to run the whole thing at faster than normal pace. Maybe I did get the sense knocked out of me yesterday along with the stuffing.

I broke all the rules today but it felt really good. Sometimes you just have to go out and run.
    • 95:00 (11.4 miles @ 8:20 min/mile average) :D

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 38

TOTAL FOR MAY: 133 miles

Month 2015 2014 2013
    January 101 86 0
    February 109 75 0
    March 124 109 0
    April 129 101 24
    May 133 95 81
    June 86 72
    July 2 101
    August 31 37
    September 83 43
    October 93 64
    November 107 69
    December 119 94
    596 987 585

Monday
    ‘Rest’ day including swimming with BG Jr in the morning and frightening the bejeebus out of loudly supporting the Mini Marathoners in Ballsbridge and Donnybrook until I had to bail because I couldn’t feel my hands or feet anymore. Respect to everyone racing yesterday in Dublin and Cork in such grim conditions, some great results coming down the wire.

Tuesday – Club Session
    I was super excited about this all day. First club session in over 4 years. Definitely put manners on me! Clearly I have been enjoying much longer recoveries in my blissful lonesome state than I should have. After a warm up including drills and strides the session was announced:

8 x 600m on grass with 200m active (80%*) recoveries

This was tough, although I was surprised to discover after that the splits (2:25 – 2:35) and the recoveries (1:02 – 1:04) were reasonably consistent – not fast! But consistent. It had felt like I was slowing considerably but Garmin says otherwise. And who am I to argue. Half a mile to cool down, a few stretches and we were done. I really want to do it all again next week but the BHAA grass track races are on Wednesday so coach says to take it easy instead.
    • 5.5 miles approx. incl. 8 x 600m

*ended up more like 8%, lol :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Nice long Steady Run on Sunday:)

Glad to hear you've recovered well from your fall.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Nice long Steady Run on Sunday:)

Glad to hear you've recovered well from your fall.

True :o. The gas thing was I was getting my coffee a couple of days later and the cafe owner said to me 'I saw you out jogging on Sunday' :rolleyes:

Woman, I was running like a gazelle!

Lol, in my head anyway :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    True :o. The gas thing was I was getting my coffee a couple of days later and the cafe owner said to me 'I saw you out jogging on Sunday' :rolleyes:

My mum does that all the time - oh are you going for a jog? :mad: grrr woman, I am running (albeit slowly in my case) - think her lack of jogging or running or even brisk walking is what makes it worse. Haha

spaceylou wrote: »
    My mum does that all the time - oh are you going for a jog? :mad: grrr woman, I am running (albeit slowly in my case) - think her lack of jogging or running or even brisk walking is what makes it worse. Haha

:D Don't get me started. My colleague told me her sister did the marathon in 59 minutes on Monday. Alert the Guinness Book of Records. Civilians, eh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I had to google "running like a gazelle" never heard the phrase before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

:D Don't get me started. My colleague told me her sister did the marathon in 59 minutes on Monday. Alert the Guinness Book of Records. Civilians, eh ?

Don't get me started on that one!

That's funny alright.Before I started running I would have used the term jogging a lot but now I hate the word jog or jogging!

For a laugh I looked it up on Wikipedia:

"
    Jogging is running at a gentle pace.[1] The definition of jogging as compared with running is not standard. One definition describes jogging as running slower than 6 miles per hour (10 km/h).[2]
    Jogging is also distinguished from running by having a wider lateral spacing of foot strikes, creating side-to-side movement that likely adds stability at slower speeds or when coordination is lacking"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

59 minute for a half would be seriously elite. Never mind the full marathon. Pace would be faster than Usain Bolt in the 100m, 400 times the distance. If ever there was a case for a number plate on a pedestrian that would be it.

Wednesday – Recovery

A short easy run to Pilates – a tough class – then 40 minutes recovery up to and along the Wooden Bridge. Amazingly there was no wind. The sea was really calm too, and there were clear views across to the Dublin and Wicklow mountains. One of those good to be alive runs. Ran back as far as the gym and did about 30 mins of upper body, lunges and some planks.
    • 5.9 miles total (55:00)

Thursday

I was undecided what to do right up to heading out this evening. The schedule called for 4 x 400m fast (5K minus 10 seconds), even after a session on Tuesday so I thought I’d see how the legs felt and turn it into a fartlek or an easy run if necessary. Easy run it was! Wasn’t feeling the love and then remembered I always feel like this the day after the gym, especially if I’ve missed a week.
    • 4 miles (36:00)

Friday – LSR

Switched this around in the schedule because I’m planning a 5K on Sunday so best to get the LSR out of the way today after Pilates. Stayed mainly off road for this, on the trails and grass in St.Anne’s. Unfortunately there’s work going on that means the usual loop inside the perimeter is blocked off for a small section. Looks like they’re turning that part of the trail into a footpath which is a shame because it’s a particularly nice wooded section. I tried carving out a new route when I realised the route was blocked but just ended up with nettle stings so took the long way around to get back on the loop. I had checked my easy pace based on my latest vDot score and it gives me a range of 8:42 to 9:15 so I was inside the range today (after last week’s rebel run :D) and the effort felt fine.
    • 100 mins (11 miles) mainly trail/grass, some tarmac

Nothing else to report really other than another out of control dog off the lead (no owner in sight, as the dog raced by me barking its head off) and a runner dressed in nothing more than shorts and a smile looking very pleased with himself. He’s probably been more disappointed than most of us with the unseasonable weather of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Another race! You love to compete.

What schedule are you following?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Another race! You love to compete.

What schedule are you following?

Just getting them in before my base building starts. Then I can't race for 9 weeks :eek:.

I'm in the last 3 weeks of the Cool Running 10K Intermediate plan here , with the mileage tweaked a bit to suit. It seems to have gone a bit mental on sessions so I chose to ignore yesterday's :pac::pac::pac:

Saturday

Wasn’t sure how I was going to fit any running in today, what with BG Jr’s activities, a kids birthday party, and a ‘surprise’ party for my sister’s 50th (she doesn’t like surprises so we had to tell her about it :rolleyes:). Did manage to get out late afternoon. Only peace and quiet I got all day.
    • 4.3 miles easy incl. 6 x 80m strides

Sunday – Care to Run Newbridge 5K & 10K
    22:06 Garmin splits (4:19,4:34, 4:26,4:30, 4:17)
    4th F

After last week’s 5K was rudely interrupted by a tearaway mutt, I wanted to get back in the saddle and give the distance another shot this weekend. Having decided against a parkrun due to the forecasted 40Km/h wind on Saturday (I have had enough at this point), I found this race online and as it happened a friend who lives locally was doing the 10K so I though I’d combine the 5K with a catch-up. I was warned in advance that it wasn’t a flat course so my plan was just to go by feel, not push too hard or stress about time, and enjoy. There was a brilliant atmosphere in the town with loads of Newbridge AC’s Fit 4 Lifers taking part, some doing their first 5K, some their first 10K. The 10K runners were off first, followed by the 5K race about 15 minutes later. I’d no choice but to line up in the first couple of rows because the sub-25 pacer was close to the front. Off we went and straight away three women tore off, no doubt with the podium in sight. I settled into a comfortable pace and was promptly overtaken by another woman. I was trying to relax and focus on good posture and form. Because I wasn’t familiar with the course and didn’t know what was going to be around the next corner I was probably over cautious but no harm, I’ve done enough eyeballs out racing over the last while, today wasn’t the day for more of that. About 1K in I passed out the woman in 4th and from that point on I was running on my own. I could see 2nd and 3rd up ahead, maybe 100m away. My splits were all over the place but the effort was steady, the hills and a bit of a breeze were affecting the pace. Around 3K I realised I was closing the gap on the 2 girls ahead but again, not knowing what was ahead made me maintain the same effort rather than risk blowing up or bringing on a Flabs attack. The 4K point appeared in the middle of a steepish hill and I witnessed the 3rd placed runner make her move on 2nd here – very tactical running from what turned out to be quite a young runner – and leave her for dust. I knew 3rd was tiring now and although I’d left it way too late to catch her, I couldn’t help but try to narrow the gap. Got fairly close in the end (maybe 20m?) but ran out of road. It was a great feeling to finish strong and not in a heap. Even better to see my friend take a podium place with a PB in the 10K, which was a lot hillier.

I’m really happy with this even though I’ve gone through 5K faster in the last couple of 5 milers. I just enjoyed every minute and felt strong so I think with a bit of a rest after Dunshaughlin I might aim for a fast 5K the following weekend before hanging up the racing shoes until September. Not sure what I’ll be putting in my log for the interim…..it'll be tumbleweed city without the usual plethora of race reports.
    • 5.1 miles total incl 5K race

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 36

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Well done on today's 5k. I was there spectating and supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant pacing BG, you make it sound so easy, I'm still really bad at judging effort, sounds like you nailed it :)

kildaremum wrote: »
    Well done on today's 5k. I was there spectating and supporting.

Thanks Kildaremum, it was a great event. Really well organised with a great community feel about it.
    Brilliant pacing BG, you make it sound so easy, I'm still really bad at judging effort, sounds like you nailed it :)

Cheers Runchick, I'm happy with today, made me think I might be able to go a bit faster on fresher legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good racing today!! you can log your withdrawal symptoms when you stop racing :D

...i see you've been rechristened BUNNY girl over on the beer mile thread.... LOL... hope you have your outfit ready ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant :-) you really do make it sound so easy! Roll on Dunshaughlin

annapr wrote: »
    Good racing today!! you can log your withdrawal symptoms when you stop racing :D

...i see you've been rechristened BUNNY girl over on the beer mile thread.... LOL... hope you have your outfit ready ;)

Ah yes my alter ego Bunny Girl. She just comes out for parties and beer miles ;)

Monday – Recovery

Should actually have been a rest day but thought I’d postpone it to Thursday as legs felt fine. Just did my regular 3 mile loop from home.
    • 3 miles (27:30)

Tuesday – Easy

Such an amazing evening! Did a loop of St.Anne’s on the trail then some strides on one of the pitches. The park was full of runners, kids playing GAA, walkers – all enjoying the sunshine. Happy days.
    • 4 miles (36:00) + 6 x 80m strides

Wednesday – BHAA Trinity Track Races

Where to start – this was such a fun evening. College Park was jammers with sun-worshiping beer-drinking students (who I’m guessing must have finished their exams) and they provided a vocal backdrop to all the races. There were 2 events on offer: 1200m and 2000m, so 3 and 5 laps of the grass track respectively. The evening would kick off with the women’s 1200m, followed by all the various men’s divisions at that distance, then the sequence would start over again with the women’s 2000m, finishing up with the fastest men’s division. I figured I’d do the 1200m then see about the 2000m if I’d recovered enough. Ditched the Garmin to just run by feel in my new Saucony Endorphins. Love love love them, they weigh nothing, it’s like running on fluffy clouds. Lined up, starter’s gun (a real one) blasted (loudly! ouch) and we were off. Don’t remember much after that but we got a split at 400m and mine was 88 secs. Felt reasonably in control for the 3 laps. Had a bit left for a decent finish and overtook one or two runners in the last 100m or so. Time was 4:30 unofficially (I got a sneaky peek at the results sheet). Maybe there was a sub-3 min 800m in there? I’ll never know :rolleyes:. Time for a mini cool down to reset the legs. Watched the men’s races and chatted with clubmates. Seemed like no time at all before we were called back for the 2000m. Bang! Here we go again. Legs didn’t feel as bad as I thought. 400m split was called at 93 secs. The laps seemed to go by really quickly and there was loads of support from the bowsy students and the other runners. Just one lap left and I was feeling okay. Went for it with about 200m to go and passed 2 or 3 runners. Not sure of placing but I think I was a bit higher up than in the 1200m. 7:59 unofficial for the 2000m.

I never would have thought I’d get a buzz out of the track but I kind of want to do more now. Bummer about the base building....
    • 3 miles total*

*Double checked, yup only 3 miles after all that. I was going to run home after but it was late and I was starving so treated myself to a taxi instead.

Great running again G... have you lined up a sponsor to help you with the racing withdrawals, or are you just planning to race like crazy until 'base building' starts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Wednesday – BHAA Trinity Track Races

I figured I’d do the 1200m then see about the 2000m if I’d recovered enough.

Time was 4:30 unofficially (I got a sneaky peek at the results sheet). Maybe there was a sub-3 min 800m in there? I’ll never know :rolleyes:.

Congrats table-or-not

annapr wrote: »
    Great running again G... have you lined up a sponsor to help you with the racing withdrawals, or are you just planning to race like crazy until 'base building' starts :D

A sponsor - now there's a thought. I'll need a 12-step programme too. And lots of box sets. And I'll probably stalk support all you lot at your races. Be grand :D
    You do know! (once things are official). To have 1200m at 4:30, either the 800m or the last 800m (or both) has to be <= 3:00. I guess it depends whether you need 2:59 or 3:00 for the table ...

Congrats table-or-not

Deffo need sub-3 for the table so no way of knowing for sure. I'm going to have to head up to Alsaa now before B-day and give it a lash. Would hand timing by a 3 y.o. be acceptable for the table :D ?

• Advertisement

Deffo need sub-3 for the table so no way of knowing for sure. I'm going to have to head up to Alsaa now before B-day and give it a lash. Would hand timing by a 3 y.o. be acceptable for the table :D ?

:).

Just get Ososlo to join you I think, no??

:).

Just get Ososlo to join you I think, no??

Excellent idea. Ososlo you up for giving this a lash ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

We could time you on the track on Saturday before the main event while we are having a nice slow beer to warm up? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Excellent idea. Ososlo you up for giving this a lash ?

Possibly. I'm not there yet though (3 min 800m) so I don't think there's any point in me trying for a while. I'd want my 5k time to be under 23:20 to have a realistic shot. I'll see what my next 5k brings before the month is out (you never know!!!!) and get back to you!

edit: but if you want me to help your 3yo time it I'll be there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

menoscemo wrote: »
    We could time you on the track on Saturday before the main event while we are having a nice slow beer to warm up? :)

No pressure huh !!! You'd certainly be assured of support

• Advertisement

You do know! (once things are official). To have 1200m at 4:30, either the 800m or the last 800m (or both) has to be <= 3:00. I guess it depends whether you need 2:59 or 3:00 for the table ...
    Deffo need sub-3 for the table so no way of knowing for sure.

And apart from that I was wrong :o... could indeed be sub-4:30 and have the first 800m and last 800m both over 3:00 (if the middle 400m was very slow and the other two 400ms were each a bit fast).

Apologies for the mistake of basic linear algebra :o

[Ososlo, from your interval sessions would guess you could do that sub-3 now, seems your 5k is the outlier. But have already stuck my nose in so won't interfere further ;)]

menoscemo wrote: »

Ha ha. Thanks.

But no :D

kit3 wrote: »
    No pressure huh !!! You'd certainly be assured of support

It would probably just be like last night with all the bowsy students :rolleyes:

Ososlo wrote: »
    Possibly. I'm not there yet though (3 min 800m) so I don't think there's any point in me trying for a while. I'd want my 5k time to be under 23:20 to have a realistic shot. I'll see what my next 5k brings before the month is out (you never know!!!!) and get back to you!

edit: but if you want me to help your 3yo time it I'll be there!!!

Cool. Sounds like a plan, let me know how the 5K goes. BG Jr is in her 'I can do everything by myself' phase at the moment, you wouldn't get a look in :rolleyes:

And apart from that I was wrong :o... could indeed be sub-4:30 and have the first 800m and last 800m both over 3:00 (if the middle 400m was very slow and the other two 400ms were each a bit fast).

Apologies for the mistake of basic linear algebra :o

My brain hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hehe this thread is nearly as good as the beer mile one :D Great running on the track BG. We'll get you hooked yet ;) See you Saturday!

We'll get you hooked yet ;)

I think I am already :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice chatting with you after the races last night BG.

Great running too :)

Killerz wrote: »
    Nice chatting with you after the races last night BG.

Great running too :)

Good to see you too. It was such a great evening. Almost makes me want to go back to college :rolleyes:

That's a mighty collection of prizes you picked up. Well done.

More brilliant running I see :-) good on ya!! Saw some pics on the club fb page, looked like a beautiful eve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Good to see you too. It was such a great evening. Almost makes me want to go back to college :rolleyes:

That's a mighty collection of prizes you picked up. Well done.

Haha I won't be short of umbrellas for the foreseeable future anyhow!

Firedance wrote: »
    More brilliant running I see :-) good on ya!! Saw some pics on the club fb page, looked like a beautiful eve.

It was just the best evening for it. And a lovely surface to run on. Deffo one for the diary next year. I think they change the distances every year too so it could be something like a mile and a 3000m next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Just catching up here (and everywhere really). Nicely done, great to see you loving it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Great racing BG, you really seemed to enjoy it, this base building phase is gonna be tough :eek:

Great racing BG, you really seemed to enjoy it, this base building phase is gonna be tough :eek:

we're going to have to start a BG Racing Anonymous support group :D

Hi everyone. My name is Bungy Girl.

Hi Bungy Girl

It's been 2 days since my last race.

Hi everyone. My name is Bungy Girl.

Hi Bungy Girl

It's been 2 days since my last race.

Parkrunparkrunparkrun TOMORROW!! goonyouknowyouknowyouwantto One day at a time BG, you can do it :)

Parkrunparkrunparkrun TOMORROW!! goonyouknowyouknowyouwantto One day at a time BG, you can do it :)

Actually.....:o

Actually.....:o

Ahahahahahahaha....oops :D

• Advertisement

Ahahahahahahaha....oops :D

Some mentor you are!!!!!! :-)

Advertisement