Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

By the way, does this base building allow for random boards trail runs? We gotta organise another one soon if the general consensus is people are around...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Firedance wrote: »
    By the way, does this base building allow for random boards trail runs? We gotta organise another one soon if the general consensus is people are around...

I'm sure it does. I have no idea yet what's in store. They can take away my races but they'll never take my trails *shakes fist*.

Devil's Glen is a really lovely one, but might be a bit far out for some people (it's near Ashford) ? Or we could go with the previous plan for Massey/Hellfire ?

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ahahahahahahaha....oops :D

It's ok, Dubgal, you didn't sway me. In fact, Annapr is the enabler in this case because she's driving. And Hillsiderunner is partially responsible too as she put the idea in my head. I didn't want to race at all ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    It's ok, Dubgal, you didn't sway me. In fact, Annapr is the enabler in this case because she's driving. And Hillsiderunner is partially responsible too as she put the idea in my head. I didn't want to race at all ;).

helllooooo.... you were planning to take six buses and be there hours in advance, i'm just giving you a lift!

DG, you are banned from all Racing Anon meetings :p

annapr wrote: »
    helllooooo.... you were planning to take six buses and be there hours in advance, i'm just giving you a lift!

DG, you are banned from all Racing Anon meetings :p

I'm clearly in denial!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Errrrrr ...... ????

(am sure this will just be one final fling for BG though. There will be months of no races after this no doubt ;) )

Errrrrr ...... ????

Oh, yes. I remember now... It's all coming back to me...;)

Off to my meeting now.

Well, in fairness to BG, parkrun is not a race... it's a timed running event... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Some mentor you are!!!!!! :-)

:p:p:p*

*sometimes it feels so damn good to be this childish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Beer mile, beer mile, beer mile......

You know you want to ;)

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Beer mile, beer mile, beer mile......

You know you want to ;)

You know I'd love to, but I have just this minute spent my last €9.99 on a nice Sauvignon Blanc which I am going to sip at my leisure this evening after watching you lot stagger around Kilbogget.

You know I'd love to, but I have just this minute spent my last €9.99 on a nice Sauvignon Blanc which I am going to sip at my leisure this evening after watching you lot stagger around Kilbogget.

Feck that bring it with you. I have my Prosecco chilling in the freezer and paper cups packed :D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Feck that bring it with you. I have my Prosecco chilling in the freezer and paper cups packed :D

She can't, she's driving... I on the other hand am a passenger...

annapr wrote: »
    She can't, she's driving... I on the other hand am a passenger...

Yay *runs off to buy another bottle!*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Eh, are the support group drinking on the sidelines?

Have fun tonight guys.... and well done BG on the non-Jingle-Bells 5k pb :).

aquinn wrote: »
    Eh, are the support group drinking on the sidelines?

Eh, yeah, they might even have started already.

Friday – Easy

A tough pilates class followed by a (vDot compliant) easy loop inside St.Annes. Some strides to finish.
    • 4 miles easy on grass/trail + strides (4.6 miles)

Cross Training in Fun Galaxy. Almost got stuck in those mangle/roller type things when I had to go up top to rescue BG Jr. Turns out she didn’t need rescuing, just wanted company :rolleyes:.

Saturday – St.Anne’s parkrun 5K
    21:21 (non-Jingle Bells PB), 3rd F

The D.3 bus driven by Murph_D was packed to capacity this morning for the short trip to St.Anne’s. In defiance of the weather forecast, the sun decided to shine at 9.30 and it was hot, hot, hot for the run. Discovered GPS doesn’t work so well in St.Anne’s due to the tree cover so was pleasantly surprised with a 21:21 finish as the splits showed up a lot slower during the run. Great to witness PB’s by Hillsiderunner and the Annapr/aquinn power combo. Coffee and scones rounded off a great morning. Was introduced to the concept of a ‘tuck and roll’ by Aquinn, who clearly has a future not just as pacer extraordinaire but also as a stunt double ?
    • 6.6 miles incl 5K race

The Beer Mile has been well documented here so I’ve not much to add other than it was nice to meet all of you, even if I will only ever remember you by the description of your Beer Mile outfit. Note to future timekeepers: bring a stack of stickers or place cards. Helluva lot easier than trying to remember under pressure if ‘Skirt’ finished ahead of or behind ‘Rudolph’ and if ‘Eircom Green’ pipped ‘Ozzie Clonliffe’ on the line.

Sunday – Long Run

Lovely run on the Bog of Frogs trail loop in Howth with a friend who’s training for Gaelforce North and wanted to get some hills in. Got there by 11.30 or so and ran from Sutton. By the time we got over to Howth the trail was jammers with big groups of walkers. My friend remarked that it was worse than the Mini Marathon. To be expected on a sunny Sunday, it’s always better to hit this trail off-peak :rolleyes:.

Home to more cross-training in the form of chasing the young un around a loop of the local park while she practices her cycling. She must have done at least two miles. She thinks she’s Stephen Roche. I’m wrecked!
    • 8 miles (hilly trail) 85:00

Dunshaughlin 10K next Saturday. Let the taper madness commence!

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Looking good for the 10k BG, super parkrun!!

Runchick wrote: »
    Looking good for the 10k BG, super parkrun!!

Thanks Runchick! don't you have a 10K coming up too - is it this weekend?

• Advertisement

Thanks Runchick! don't you have a 10K coming up too - is it this weekend?

Wednesday night :eek:

Wednesday night :eek:

Just saw that on your log. Best of luck ! Look forward to the report :)

this might be of some use to you if you cant do Saturday now..

Thanks FD, best of luck on Sat. Raging not to be there but I'm slightly injured and it's not worth the risk. Will deffo consider the Clonee race if I'm 100% by then. Cheers + have lots of cake for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks FD, best of luck on Sat. Raging not to be there but I'm slightly injured and it's not worth the risk. Will deffo consider the Clonee race if I'm 100% by then. Cheers + have lots of cake for me :D

Forgot to congratulate you on your brilliant Parkrunning last Saturday!
    How much of a (non-JB) pb was that? Super running and placing!

btw what's the slight injury? Hope nothing much!

Ahhhhh, sorry to hear that BG.

You are being very sensible ... not to mention a small effort towards Racing Anon ;)

yep you're right its not worth the risk! 10K's are 10 a penny so you'll have lots of choice, I'll be doing Clonee too (just 'taking part') and we're told its a flat left handed course, and there's always The Lakes 10K too... Don't worry I'll make sure to scoff nibble you're share of the cake :D. Get better soon!!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Forgot to congratulate you on your brilliant Parkrunning last Saturday!
    How much of a (non-JB) pb was that? Super running and placing!

btw what's the slight injury? Hope nothing much!

Thanks Ososlo, it was about 25 secs quicker than any previous non-JB attempt (apart from a couple of sub-21's where the course was short which don't count :rolleyes:. Injury is just some back pain caused by the pelvis being out of sync. Saw osteopath today and it's feeling a good bit better already. No running until completely pain free though :(
    Ahhhhh, sorry to hear that BG.

You are being very sensible ... not to mention a small effort towards Racing Anon ;)

Straight back at ya on the sensible-ness, hope you're doing ok ? The Racing Anon. meetings my start sooner than expected (although I'm hoping for one last hurrah with an 800m if I can fit it in before B-day).
    yep you're right its not worth the risk! 10K's are 10 a penny so you'll have lots of choice, I'll be doing Clonee too (just 'taking part') and we're told its a flat left handed course, and there's always The Lakes 10K too... Don't worry I'll make sure to scoff nibble you're share of the cake :D. Get better soon!!

Thanks FD, will be looking forward to updates from Saturday!

I'm fine, slight improvement. But I'm assuming no unless it's a fair bit better tomorrow eve, if it is I can always revise the plan ...

B-day is Base day right?

• Advertisement

I'm fine, slight improvement. But I'm assuming no unless it's a fair bit better tomorrow eve, if it is I can always revise the plan ...

B-day is Base day right?

Fingers crossed, you never know. Look at Dubgal's near miraculous recovery :).

Yup, B-day will mark the start of 9 weeks of base building to include 0 races, 0 sessions. Oh I'm a-twitching.

Yup, B-day will mark the start of 9 weeks of base building to include 0 races, 0 sessions. Oh I'm a-twitching.

;)

Well, this week was a bust :rolleyes:. Rest on Monday (after 4 races in the previous 7 days, yes I am a big eejit, but they were only little races and it was so much fun). Lovely recovery run of 4 miles on Tuesday with a clubmate in the sunshine out by the Irishtown Nature Reserve. Went for a pre-Dunshaughlin rub-down after that. Pure torture on the quads, calves, hips and glutes. Woke up on Wednesday with a niggle in my back which got progressively sorer throughout the day to the point where I took a couple of painkillers. Booked an osteopath appointment as it was obvious enough that the hips were misaligned. Couldn’t have run even if I wanted too because I was completely lopsided. As always in this situation I start to panic that it’s the disc again, then chastise myself for not doing my back exercises, then make a deal myself that if it’s not the disc and I’ve gotten away with it one last time I’ll never ever NEVER forget to do my stretching/proprioception/pilates/exercises every single day without fail I promise I promise I promise I promise.

Got to see the osteopath on Friday and felt much better after a few strategic clicks. He also did some needling on my lower back muscles which wasn’t pleasant but seemed to be effective. Felt a bit sore and stiff all day and this morning but it’s easing out now so I’ll go for my walk *shudder* and do some gentle stretching after.

So Dunshaughlin is out, and this week has gone to pot mileage wise, but it could be way worse. I never forget how fortunate I am to be able to run. Hopefully back to business as usual next week.

I never forget how fortunate I am to be able to run.

+1 :) (even if there are some weeks where it has to be interrupted)

BG your comments about promising to do core every day really resonates with me, have had the same lecture to myself recently!! I had been doing it well but somehow it became a chore and I did less and less. With the hip thing playing up it has to get back on track. So I've changed how I view it. Now I try to see it as relaxation time - no kids and play chill out music. Must admit I am enjoying it again (as much as you can enjoy planks!).

Pity you missed the 10k but maybe the base building is coming at a good time for you. Give that back a chance to settle and you'll be unstoppable when you get racing again :D

BG your comments about promising to do core every day really resonates with me, have had the same lecture to myself recently!! I had been doing it well but somehow it became a chore and I did less and less. With the hip thing playing up it has to get back on track. So I've changed how I view it. Now I try to see it as relaxation time - no kids and play chill out music. Must admit I am enjoying it again (as much as you can enjoy planks!).

Pity you missed the 10k but maybe the base building is coming at a good time for you. Give that back a chance to settle and you'll be unstoppable when you get racing again :D

Yes, snap! I think we can get away without it for a little while but it always (ALWAYS!) comes back to bite ya eventually. Totally agree that I need to change my perception of it, and schedule some 'me' time for core and stretching. Sounds like you have it sussed :D

Looking forward to base building now, putting the final touches to the plan and will start on 30/6 (Should be 29/6 but there is a small matter of a 800m TT to get out of the way first :o)

• Advertisement

Yes, snap! I think we can get away without it for a little while but it always (ALWAYS!) comes back to bite ya eventually. Totally agree that I need to change my perception of it, and schedule some 'me' time for core and stretching. Sounds like you have it sussed :D

Looking forward to base building now, putting the final touches to the plan and will start on 30/6 (Should be 29/6 but there is a small matter of a 800m TT to get out of the way first :o)

Haha you're a serious case, absolute race junkie!! My hunch is 'looking forward to' is a bit of a stretch :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

As always in this situation I start to panic that it’s the disc again, then chastise myself for not doing my back exercises, then make a deal myself that if it’s not the disc and I’ve gotten away with it one last time I’ll never ever NEVER forget to do my stretching/proprioception/pilates/exercises every single day without fail I promise I promise I promise I promise.

Its like listening to myself!! :eek: Seriously though, I hope the back/pelvis calms down again in a day or two and you keep the promise to stretch, do pilates etc daily.

.....scurries off to do own pilates exercises!

Haha you're a basket case, absolute race junkie!! My hunch is 'looking forward to' is a bit of a stretch :P

FYP :rolleyes:

spaceylou wrote: »
    Its like listening to myself!! :eek: Seriously though, I hope the back/pelvis calms down again in a day or two and you keep the promise to stretch, do pilates etc daily.

.....scurries off to do own pilates exercises!

Lol, what are we like? Let's nag gently remind each other. At least I'll have something to put in my log other than easy miles :rolleyes:

Monday – Easy (test) run

Still a little sore and tight today but much improved, thankfully, and no longer lopsided which is always a bonus. Brought BG Jr. swimming in the afternoon and the movement (along with ALL the stretching I’ve been doing) must have done some good because I felt able for a test run. It was close to 8pm by the time I got out, kept it short and focussed on form and other than some loss of mobility around the hips all is well and I was happy to see the pace matching the easy effort (9:11, 9:12 mile splits) so the week off hasn’t done too much damage. Will try 30 mins tonight and see how it goes from there. No adverse effects this morning from the test run anyway. I also spent 15 mins this morning stretching. And another 5 polishing my halo :D.
    • 20:00 (2.2 miles)

So I’m back hopefully and will be ready to start the base building next week. My log will be a shrine of S&C* including but not limited to stretching, AIS, Myrtl, Core, Pilates, Body Balance, Drills and proprioception. But not James Dunne, unless anyone can convince me it’s really really really worth it.

*No choice, I made a deal with the running gods that if I got fixed I would never ever neglect my S&C again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

"...including but not limited to stretching, AIS, Myrtl, Core, Pilates, Body Balance, Drills and proprioception."

Mother of sweet Jezus! Will you be doing Twister and line dancing as well :)

With all of that pulling & dragging are you sure you'll have any time to run!

What's the last one Propthingymebob, does it involve invasive surgery :)

Good luck with all that Jane Fonda!

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What's your take on James Dunne? I'm finding it difficult but manageable, just about.

and what are you doing specifically for 'core' if you're also doing pilates? LOL at TBL's comment but he's right, I'd never have time to get out for a run and do all that :-) have been meaning to start myrtl too, must get my ass in gear and do that..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My thoughts on this, I think it's good to work through the 30 days and then pick and choose what you thought worked well and was benefical to you and add that into your ongoing supplementary training.

If you are just going through the 30 days with the intention of just forgetting about it I don't think it will do much good in the long term though.

"...including but not limited to stretching, AIS, Myrtl, Core, Pilates, Body Balance, Drills and proprioception."

Mother of sweet Jezus! Will you be doing Twister and line dancing as well :)

With all of that pulling & dragging are you sure you'll have any time to run!

What's the last one Propthingymebob, does it involve invasive surgery :)

Good luck with all that Jane Fonda!

TbL

Those running gods aren't easy to appease! Actually I'd do all of the above ten times over if I never had to line dance. How was that ever a thing :rolleyes: ? The propriowha' involves standing on one leg with eyes closed for increasing length of time, and when you get really good at it, you're able to multi-task while balanced on one leg, so with practice I'll probably have more time for running, not less ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    What's your take on James Dunne? I'm finding it difficult but manageable, just about.

I got as far as signing up and getting the emails but it just seems too daunting. That said, if you finish the 30 days and start doing 4 minute miles I will definitely reconsider :D
    and what are you doing specifically for 'core' if you're also doing pilates? LOL at TBL's comment but he's right, I'd never have time to get out for a run and do all that :-) have been meaning to start myrtl too, must get my ass in gear and do that..

Just planks, bridges and the like at home. I can usually get 2 x 30 seconds done before BG Jr. hops on or starts building Lego around me.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    My thoughts on this, I think it's good to work through the 30 days and then pick and choose what you thought worked well and was benefical to you and add that into your ongoing supplementary training.

If you are just going through the 30 days with the intention of just forgetting about it I don't think it will do much good in the long term though.

So I actually have to DO the exercises, not just watch the videos.....:eek: ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I got as far as signing up and getting the emails but it just seems too daunting. That said, if you finish the 30 days and start doing 4 minute miles I will definitely reconsider :D

I'll settle for 7-minute miles (five in a row) for now. :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    I'll settle for 7-minute miles (five in a row) for now. :)

Oh excellent, expect a mini-stalker on Sat.

aquinn wrote: »
    Oh excellent, expect a mini-stalker on Sat.

Woo hoo you go get yourself on that table, girl !!

Woo hoo you go get yourself on that table, girl !!

Oh Jesus if that's what it involves then no chance. 4 miles on lunch was hard. Very warm out there and only a breeze for the last bit. No hills either and it still took nearly 37 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement