Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

aquinn wrote: »
    Oh Jesus if that's what it involves then no chance.

No bother to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    No bother to ya!

Except reluctance :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I got as far as signing up and getting the emails but it just seems too daunting. That said, if you finish the 30 days and start doing 4 minute miles I will definitely reconsider :D

Just planks, bridges and the like at home. I can usually get 2 x 30 seconds done before BG Jr. hops on or starts building Lego around me.

So I actually have to DO the exercises, not just watch the videos.....:eek: ?

It's some time since I have done any core exercises myself. When I was doing them I started out with 15-30 seconds at a time for planks and supermans etc, and worked up to doing them a few minute. A few dedicated soles have managed a few hours. :eek:
    Can't imagine that being a possibility with a miny BG. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oh Jesus if that's what it involves then no chance. 4 miles on lunch was hard. Very warm out there and only a breeze for the last bit. No hills either and it still took nearly 37 minutes.

Now now, you know training canters don't count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Oh excellent, expect a mini-stalker on Sat.

Lol... will you be giving yourself pep talks on the way around :D

annapr wrote: »
    Lol... will you be giving yourself pep talks on the way around :D

What? D won't be full of chat and motivation then? Think will be a fair bit behind him.

You're well up for an assault on 35, A. See you on the start line. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

What? D won't be full of chat and motivation then? Think will be a fair bit behind him.

Saaaann.....if your not clipping his heals ill be,very surprised indeed

Firedance wrote: »
    Saaaann.....if your not clipping his heals ill be,very surprised indeed

I could well be the motivation D needs for a new PB, as he'll be running away from me at top speed with the constant 'I don't feel well, dry retching now, how much longer, OMFG another hill'

If I got my Terenure time in the park I'd be thrilled.

• Advertisement

Tuesday – Easy

Plan was to add 10 mins on to yesterday’s run as still in the testing phase. A bit niggly when sitting/stationary but grand when moving and improving daily. The stretching routine is paying dividends. Headed out from the house and was only a few mins down the road when I got a cautionary shout from the other side of the street telling me to slow down. Annapr, I was totally vDot compliant :D! Good to know you get away with nothing around here, if I ever need to go for a sneaky run I’ll have to go in disguise.

Did a couple of laps of the park, dodging beer cans and BBQ’s (mmm, sausages…). The sunny weather brings the cream of the neighbourhood out to the park for sure.
    • 30:00 (3.3 miles) @ 9:03 average

More physio tonight just to make sure I’m on the right track. Will try to squeeze a run in before Pilates then run to the physio’s as no doubt there’ll be a prescribed day off after the treatment :rolleyes:

Wednesday - Easy (bit of a recurring theme at the moment :rolleyes:)

Bit of a lie-on (until 7:10 :rolleyes:) this morning meant I couldn’t get a run in early so it meant splitting the evening up a little to fit everything in. So it went like this: run to Pilates the long way round (30:00), Pilates class (awesome, felt strong), run to physio (10:00), torture session but good torture if that makes sense, taxi home because no bus to be seen, it’s too far to walk and I’m not allowed run because that would negate the benefits of the torture. Had a lovely chicken curry while sitting on an ice-pack.

Rant: taxi driver was unbelievably rude for no apparent reason :(
    • Total 40:00 (4.3 miles)

Rest tomorrow (with stretches of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Wednesday - Easy (bit of a recurring theme at the moment :rolleyes:)

Bit of a lie-on (until 7:10 :rolleyes:) this morning meant I couldn’t get a run in early so it meant splitting the evening up a little to fit everything in. So it went like this: run to Pilates the long way round (30:00), Pilates class (awesome, felt strong), run to physio (10:00), torture session but good torture if that makes sense, taxi home because no bus to be seen, it’s too far to walk and I’m not allowed run because that would negate the benefits of the torture. Had a lovely chicken curry while sitting on an ice-pack.

Rant: taxi driver was unbelievably rude for no apparent reason :(
    • Total 40:00 (4.3 miles)

Rest tomorrow (with stretches of course)

Well if you were eating a chicken curry while sitting on an ice pack in my taxi I'd be rude too :)

TbL

Well if you were eating a chicken curry while sitting on an ice pack in my taxi I'd be rude too :)

TbL

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

What physio did you go to in the end? Usual place?

Yup, DC is away until next week so couldn't wait but thanks for the recommendation!

• Advertisement

Good, continue to mind yourself and stick with EASY for the next few days. You'll be kept busy with core and strengthening routine anyway.

Thursday – Rest (while continuing to sit on ice pack)

But did do some proprioception, planks and stretches at the shrine of the running gods.

Friday – Easy

Pilates followed by a lovely run out to the end of the Bull Wall pier and back. Hot hot hot out there, then a nice cool headwind on the way back. Felt really good on this run, and no gyp from the back or the glutes at all. Happy days.
    • 50:00 @ 8:45 min/mile (5.7 miles, mainly grass)

Then headed to the osteopath where I got the all-clear after a nasty enough session of dry needling and a final click of the old bones.

Looking forward to cheerleading at the 5 miler in the park tomorrow and then putting the final touches to my base building plan over the weekend.

Saturday – Easy

Enjoyable morning cheerleading at the 5 miler in the Phoenix Park. Perfect weather for supporting, not so much for running. Respect to everyone who battled through that heat and those hills, very glad I didn’t have to. Still can’t get over the winning time: 23:xx :eek:

Had an hour’s run planned and got to head out early afternoon from the house up to St.Anne’s, about 20 mins on the trails, then back again. Lovely run, except made the mistake of wearing a cotton vest resulting in some chafing. Rookie error, that’s what I get for trying to look co-ordinated :rolleyes:
    • 60:00 (6.9 miles) @ 8:41 (path, trail)

Sunday – Easy

Spent most of the day at the playground in Malahide. BG Jr has graduated to the ‘main’ slide at the top of the Rocket but she’s too small to climb up by herself so I enjoyed an impromptu core/crossing training session climbing up and down this about 20 times. Very tempted to go for a slide myself!

Decided on a couple of loops of St.Anne’s to finish off the week and get the mileage up to a respectable level.
    • 70:00 (7.8 miles) @ 9:02 (trail)

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 30

Base building starts tomorrow (at 7:03pm, just have something to do first);)

Very familiar with that slide. Core work inseed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck for 7pm! (and congrats on the 30miles)

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Very familiar with that slide. Core work inseed!

Absolutely, especially when random (heavy!) kids are looking to be hoisted up as well :rolleyes:
    Good luck for 7pm! (and congrats on the 30miles)

Thanks Hilly, glad you're getting some miles in and good luck at the physio's

I discovered recently that you can send them up the slide instead of lifting... Self directed climbing, perfect in a playground. And hey if someone's coming down, well they just have to learn.

And good luck with your secret mission...

Base Building Week 1 – Target 35 miles

Monday
    Got a sneaky 800m TT and an entry on the round numbers table under the belt before the official start of my 9 week base building at 7.03pm GMT. Also a shiny new VDOT of 47.4. I can go quietly now (*twitches*)

The reason for the base building? I love to race and I definitely overdo it. The first 6 months of this year, even trying really hard to cut down (yes, I am aware that I sound like a junkie) I still managed to get 22 ‘eyeballs out’ races in (plus a few others at a reduced pace that I’m not counting). Following some advice from Clearlier on the 2104 Graduates thread, I made the decision to block off 9 weeks to build up my mileage and see could I improve my longer distance PBs which are very soft and, according to all the calculators, way off what I should be doing based on the shorter race results.

Massive thanks are due to Clearlier for all his help and advice. I now have a training plan that, all going well, will get me up to 50 miles per week by the end of the summer :eek:. I hope to do the Dublin Half at a steady pace to convince myself that I can actually finish the distance in reasonable comfort. If that goes well then I want to train properly and aim to race a half towards the end of November in less than the magic 100 minutes.
    • 2.5 miles incl 800m (2:51) (grass track)
    *with apologies to Meghan Trainor for compromising her lyrics

Tuesday
    End of the month which can only mean one thing: a Table! Happy enough with those miles given the interruption to training mid-month.

Month 2015 2014 2013
    January 101 86 0
    February 109 75 0
    March 124 109 0
    April 129 101 24
    May 133 95 81
    June 110 86 72
    July 2 101
    August 31 37
    September 83 43
    October 93 64
    November 107 69
    December 119 94
    706 987 585

Had to wait until it cooled down a bit before heading out for the first of many consecutive easy runs. It’ll be 2 weeks before I can even do a stride :rolleyes:

Came back to the sad news of a hit and run involving a cyclist just outside Fairview Park this evening. Really hope he/she is going to be okay.
    • 3.5 miles easy @ 9:10 (path/grass)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Is the half(s) your main goal, or have you a full in mind down the road?
    It's gonna be a whole different game when you're not racing constantly!

libelula wrote: »

It will... It'll be so much better and more fun... (Ssh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ok, just read your latest update and how sensible you are being....so scrap that comment on the 10 round numbers table.....(I'm not deleting it tho ;) )

I know! What on earth am I going to put in my log ? Feeling like I should hang up a 'Closed - Back in 9 Weeks' sign :rolleyes:. I'm half thinking (geddit ;) ?) of doing DCM in 2016 but that would only be if I felt I could do it properly. Been there once already, dragging my sorry a$$ around the course, and it wasn't fun. So will see how the half goes and then decide. I want to do a decent XC season too.
    annapr wrote: »
    It will... It'll be so much better and more fun... (Ssh)

Really ? *clutches at straws*
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ok, just read your latest update and how sensible you are being....so scrap that comment on the 10 round numbers table.....(I'm not deleting it tho ;) )

Too late! I have responded appropriately. Not sure who's worse, you or Anna! :D

My name is Bungy. It has been 36 hours since my last race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I'm half thinking (geddit ;) ?) of doing DCM in 2016 but that would only be if I felt I could do it properly.

If you're building up to 50miles/week sure you could do DCM 2015. Was just thinking that our schedules for the months ahead may look quite similar ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I know! What on earth am I going to put in my log ? Feeling like I should hang up a 'Closed - Back in 9 Weeks' sign :rolleyes:

Tis a training log missus not a racing log - we want to hear all about your base building!

It'll be deadly. You'll have loads of energy and be feeling all hulk-like (girly hulk, not green hulk) and strong and and and all them good things :)

• Advertisement

If you're building up to 50miles/week sure you could do DCM 2015. Was just thinking that our schedules for the months ahead may look quite similar ..

Ah, but my long run is going to max out at 2 hours. Don't fancy attempting DCM off that :eek:
    spaceylou wrote: »
    Tis a training log missus not a racing log - we want to hear all about your base building!

Really ? I was thinking I'd have the log all to myself. And the tumbleweed..:rolleyes:
    It'll be deadly. You'll have loads of energy and be feeling all hulk-like (girly hulk, not green hulk) and strong and and and all them good things :)

Do I get to turn green and vanquish bad guys ? Because that would be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Really ? I was thinking I'd have the log all to myself. And the tumbleweed..:rolleyes:

Yeah really!!

Do I get to turn green and vanquish bad guys ? Because that would be cool.

I'm sure some kind of colour run could be arranged! :pac:

Wednesday – S&C, Easy (longer) run (#1 of 2)

Walked to Pilates in the lovely sunshine and had time for some foam rolling before the class. It was a fast-paced class, very enjoyable, I’m definitely getting stronger but there are always moves that defeat me. This week it was Teaser which sounds like a whole lot more fun than it is.

The base building plan has two medium-long runs per week which for the moment are to be done at an easy pace. Today’s was 7 miles so I just went by feel and only really glanced at the watched when it beeped at the mile splits. Ran on the grass along the prom, up the Wooden Bridge to the lighthouse, back to Fairview Park and did a loop on the grass to make up the distance. Legs were a bit heavy for the last mile which may have something to do with the heat. It’s a fine line between being well hydrated and needing bathroom breaks en route but might have to invest in a water belt as these runs get longer. Finished at the scene of the previous night’s fatal hit and run, where lots of flowers and messages had been left in memory of the victim. Heartbreaking.

Finished up with Body Balance in the gym. Hadn’t been to this class in ages and felt a bit inflexible as a result. Need to make it part of my routine again to complement to the other stuff I’m doing at home.
    • 7 miles @ 8:58 min/mile (grass/path)

Thursday – Rest

With the exception of some proprioception at the microwave while making my porridge this was a rest day, although had quite a lot of heavy lifting in work, which oddly enough seemed to work out a kink in my back that had been there for a while. Happy days.

Friday – S&C, Easy (longer) run (#2 of 2)

More Pilates, then out to Howth for a fab run along my favourite trail, the Bog of Frogs loop. Kept the effort easy which is difficult on the hills but the aim was to say relaxed, run tall and enjoy. Ran the full loop clockwise from Sutton and despite the fantastic weather it wasn’t particularly busy.
    • 8.3 miles @ 10:46 min/mile (hilly trail)

My name is Bungy. It has been 4 days since my last race.

Saturday – Short Run, S&C

Ugh, the heat. Massive respect to all who ran/paced the Clontarf 5 or Half. Have to say I will never understand why this race gets the numbers it does. The fab location notwithstanding, it just seems to be guaranteed extremes of weather and this year was no exception. Also the route is a bit scrappy with the shared footpaths and changes in terrain. Great for training, but racing ? Not for me.

Between the heat and the wind, my easy pace dropped considerably on today's run which was just a simple out and back on the promenade.
    • 3.5 miles @ 9:30 (grass)

Did a couple of sets in the gym and finished off with a short (flexibility) Body Balance class.

Sunday – 95 mins LSR

Left the house at 10:30 and by 10:32 I was completely and utterly soaked to the skin. Awesome! Loved this run, splashing through puddles and was able to keep a fairly even pace despite some hills in the first half. Headed from home via Griffith Ave, up the Howth Road through Raheny and turned where it meets the sea, back along the coast past St.Anne’s and Clontarf.
    • 95:00 (10.8 miles) @ 8:47
      (Splits: 8:48, 8:46, 8:52, 8:48, 8:30, 8:44, 8:48, 8:45, 8:39, 8:52, (7:37))

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 35.6 (Target 35)

Base Building Week 1 done and dusted and I haven’t turned into a pumpkin. Yet. Target for next week is 40 miles :eek:.

Well done, solid week. Am actually a bit jealous of the building miles. In a funny way, I can't wait to get my teeth into longer runs soon. It's been aaaages since I ran anything over 10miles :eek:

Well done, solid week. Am actually a bit jealous of the building miles. In a funny way, I can't wait to get my teeth into longer runs soon. It's been aaaages since I ran anything over 10miles :eek:

Thanks, happy with it all right :D. Might have been a different story if the weather hadn't broken today, what a relief !

Must be tough mentoring the novices and having LSR envy :( Have you tested the achilles yet or you giving it a bit longer ?

Thanks, happy with it all right :D. Might have been a different story if the weather hadn't broken today, what a relief !

Must be tough mentoring the novices and having LSR envy :( Have you tested the achilles yet or you giving it a bit longer ?

Yeah, I've missed out on the hot weather hardship this week. I'm back on track with rehab, the plan was to start week 2 on Wednesday with a 30 minute jog every second day and rehab exercises on the interim days. Achilles is fine, the week rest and rehab seem to have done the trick but swollen glands and sore throat pushed back the return to jogging :rolleyes: :mad:
    Anyway, got out for 30 mins Friday and 30 mins this morning so all good so far yay.
    I'll be catching up with them novices come August :D
    Looks like your base building has lots of lovely nice long easy running!

that weeks running is waaaaay better than any ole race :-) very solid indeed. LOL at splashing through puddles, normally I do not like the rain but summer rain when running in singlet & shorts, after the stifling heat we've had, is the cats pyjamas :D

• Advertisement

that weeks running is waaaaay better than any ole race :-) very solid indeed. LOL at splashing through puddles, normally I do not like the rain but summer rain when running in singlet & shorts, after the stifling heat we've had, is the cats pyjamas :D

True, most runners I met today looked very happy with themselves. I had a similar run the day after Xmas last year in the lashing rain (a bit colder though :D) and it was exhilarating. Dubgal shared someone's theory back then that rain running makes you go faster due to more oxygen in the air (I think that was it, was never good at science, but makes sense to me).

One positive of not racing is that I get to actually take my lie-on (I get one a week :rolleyes:) instead of getting up at dawn to travel to a race. Look at me going all Pollyanna and playing the glad game :pac::pac::pac:

Yeah, I've missed out on the hot weather hardship this week. I'm back on track with rehab, the plan was to start week 2 on Wednesday with a 30 minute jog every second day and rehab exercises on the interim days. Achilles is fine, the week rest and rehab seem to have done the trick but swollen glands and sore throat pushed back the return to jogging :rolleyes: :mad:
    Anyway, got out for 30 mins Friday and 30 mins this morning so all good so far yay.
    I'll be catching up with them novices come August :D
    Looks like your base building has lots of lovely nice long easy running!

Great, glad to hear it! Not about the swollen glands etc. but the fact that you're getting back now. Another week of nice long easy running ahead, then I get to add some strides in Week 3 (so excited about this :D)

Monday – Short & Easy

Another soft day. Less enthused about this one it must be said – it was freezing! Got a dose of Raynauds* (in July, ffs) and couldn’t use my hands properly for about an hour. Apart from that, all good, did 4 laps of the park which was empty except for one man who was taking shelter under the bandstand. He was still there on the last lap and I was tempted to tell him he was going to be there for while if he was waiting for it to stop. Poor man will be there until dark the rate it’s pouring down.
    • 4 miles @ 9:11 (grass, soggy)

*where your fingers go white and completely numb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Sunday – 95 mins LSR

I briefly read this as "95 miles LSR" and nearly spit out da tea.

Good work tho :)
    Got a dose of Raynauds*

I have that too, but always after the long runs. It's a bit of a freak-show isn't it?

nop98 wrote: »
    I briefly read this as "95 miles LSR" and nearly spit out da tea.
    :D I'd need a few jelly babies for that one. Next week maybe ;)
    nop98 wrote: »
    I have that too, but always after the long runs. It's a bit of a freak-show isn't it?
    It is! I even took a photo of mine this morning. BG Jr is always giving out that my hands are 'freezin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

It is! I even took a photo of mine this morning. BG Jr is always giving out that my hands are 'freezin'

I get that too sometimes. "Cold hands, warm heart" my granny used to say :-)

• Advertisement

chickey2 wrote: »

Seems to be really common among runners, I know loads who have it. Now if I could do an Elsa and build myself an ice palace that would be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

chickey2 wrote: »

Ha, my granny used to say that too.

*prods to see if she's fallen asleep:)

Are you waiting on your morning update?

*prods to see if she's fallen asleep:)

And I was having such a lovely dream....

• Advertisement
Advertisement