Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    2xibuprofen after breakfast and GO BG, you'll be grand :) If you have a set of longer spikes, bring them with you and screw them in after you suss out the terrain if you think it's going to be necessary. Mine were 9mm today I think and could have done with longer.
    Best of luck!

Cheers Dubgal, good idea. the neck isn't any worse this morning thankfully but the ibuprofen will help with mobility.

Unfortunately the spike length is irrelevant :( Just heard from our team captain this morning that the park is waterlogged and the race will be run on paths. I'd better revise my ambition down another 20 places, always do much better off road than on.

Actually...I have just re-read the email and it just says IF the park is waterlogged we'll be on the paths. D'oh. Better bring the full shoe collection and take it as it comes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Cheers Dubgal, good idea. the neck isn't any worse this morning thankfully but the ibuprofen will help with mobility.

Unfortunately the spike length is irrelevant :( Just heard from our team captain this morning that the park is waterlogged and the race will be run on paths. I'd better revise my ambition down another 20 places, always do much better off road than on.

Gonna take my lsr down by bushy park this morning to cheer you on.

Hope the neck is OK.

Gonna take my lsr down by bushy park this morning to cheer you on.

Hope the neck is OK.

Brilliant, will need all the cheers I can get! I'll be the one with the red face and a look of panic (as per every race photo of me that has ever been taken :o)

Neck's ok thanks, ibuprofen kicking in nicely.

Brilliant, will need all the cheers I can get! I'll be the one with the red face and a look of panic (as per every race photo of me that has ever been taken :o)

Neck's ok thanks, ibuprofen kicking in nicely.

I'll be the one with the red face nicking all the water ;)

M&T Winter League 2 Mile XC (Bushy Park)

Turns out there was no issue with the park so we were good to go on grass this morning. Massive turnout of 140 was making my Top 20 aspirations look very ambitious – I’ve only ever made it into the Top 20 of this league once before and there weren’t as many in that race. The league is about teams mainly (but individuals are welcome to, and do, take part) so placings are everything and even if your leg is hanging off you make the effort ‘for the team’. Did a warm up lap of the course – flat, mucky and icy in parts, and lots of sharp turns. Lovely sunny frosty morning, perfect for racing.

Plan was to go off fast to avoid getting boxed in then settle in and try to hang on. Course was one and a half laps. First lap was ok, passed a few and was passed by a few. Then it really started to get tough and I thought about stopping more than once (XC does this to me). Everything was starting to hurt and it seems like the whole field was passing me by one by one. Then realised my lace had opened (rookie error) but didn't want to lose 50 places trying to tie it so decided to leave it and hope not to trip myself up. Had no idea where I was placing at this stage and didn’t care, I just wanted to stop running. Finish line finally came into sight (and of course there was still at least 400m to go). Gave it everything I had to the finish but no kick today. Longest 2 mile ever! In my befuddled state I figured I had been passed by at least 20 people so reckoned on a 40-something placing so was surprised and delighted to get 19th place :D. My brain, foggy at the best of times, clearly doesn’t do sums or counting when the body is under pressure :o

Normal service resumes from tomorrow with work and the time constraints that brings. Going to aim for 6 runs a week for the next 2 weeks, then taper a little bit for the Raheny 5. All good :)

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 16 (deliberate low mileage week)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hey congratulations, you got your goal, fantastic! You know you've got to stay there now ;)
    Ps see you at the Raheny 5, that's just reminded me to enter!

Yay you got what you were aiming for! Congratulations!

Ps see you at the Raheny 5, that's just reminded me to enter!

Cool! Straight on to the Top Ten (or Eleven :confused:) Table with you so! I think I will need to run the race of my life to go sub 35 but will do my best. My laces came off twice last year during the race (there is a theme emerging here :o) so I think it'll be double knotted, padlocked, elastic laces this year.

Pilates wasn’t on tonight (that’s my cue to start falling apart at the seams) so I did a bit extra in the gym, followed by Body Balance. Ran the long way home afterwards to get a couple of recovery miles in. Feeling surprising ok given that I did push myself to the limit yesterday so I reckon the low mileage week did the trick.
      2 miles very easy (20:10)

Cool! Straight on to the Top Ten (or Eleven :confused:) Table with you so! I think I will need to run the race of my life to go sub 35 but will do my best. My laces came off twice last year during the race (there is a theme emerging here :o) so I think it'll be double knotted, padlocked, elastic laces this year.
    Just please don't "double knot, padlock, elastic" them together ;) 35 is a tough enough target isn't it? McMillan has me down for 34:0x and vdot for 33:54 or something. We'll see... Your speed downhill in the Ft will stand to you, and the slog/stamina going up!

• Advertisement

Just please don't "double knot, padlock, elastic" them together ;)

Hmmm, yes. And for my next trick :o
    35 is a tough enough target isn't it? McMillan has me down for 34:0x and vdot for 33:54 or something.

You have it in the bag! I must google vdot and see what that says. The other calculators have me around 34.5x and that's based on Jingle Bells so I won't be too disappointed if I don't make it this time. Do you know the Raheny 5 course? I think the first and last miles are the hardest and the middle 3 are pretty fast so I'll be hoping to bank a few seconds mid-race.

The Sportsworld 5 in May has pacers I think so that might be Plan B if this all goes to pot on the day. Agree the sub 35 is tough but everyone seems to think it's the softest target on the table :rolleyes:

I’m repeating the last 3 weeks of my Cool Running 10K programme to bring me up to the Raheny 5 so today’s session is a repeat of one I did about a month ago : 5 x 400m which in my non-Garmin world (Santa did NOT deliver as expected) means 6 x muddy soccer pitch @ 5K effort off 60 seconds recovery. The rain had washed away the sidelines so I had to guess the perimeter and it was a bit slippy underfoot. But it’s done. I am smug. That is all.
      3.5 miles incl 6 x approx 300m @ 5K effort

I must google vdot and see what that says.

Vdot says no :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Vdot says no :(

If mcmillan has you sub 35 then I'd go with that. I'd put my money on you too fwiw!!
    Tell yourself you can do it!!! You still have a few weeks training left to make improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Quick q - talks of sub 35 - is that in relation to a 5km or 10km?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Quick q - talks of sub 35 - is that in relation to a 5km or 10km?

Hey
    it's in relation to a 5 mile race.

Ososlo wrote: »
    If mcmillan has you sub 35 then I'd go with that. I'd put my money on you too fwiw!!
    Tell yourself you can do it!!! You still have a few weeks training left to make improvements.
    +1, don't forget, JB was at the beginning of December and R5 is practically at the end of January. You have had a quality training and racing period in between which will have brought you on outside of McMillan AND vdot calculations. I'm going to sit down and calculate just how far inside both calculations I can go ;)

Ososlo wrote: »

McMillan he says yes! By a nose (34:58). Thanks Ososlo!
    +1, don't forget, JB was at the beginning of December and R5 is practically at the end of January. You have had a quality training and racing period in between which will have brought you on outside of McMillan AND vdot calculations. I'm going to sit down and calculate just how far inside both calculations I can go ;)

Cheers Dubgal, no doubt you will smash those predictions and then some. I guess the wind (or lack of it) along the coast road will have an impact, especially as I'll be cutting it pretty fine even with the best conditions. Unless it's a complete disaster I'd hope to get a PB out of it anyway. Bring it on !

Very sluggish run this morning. Wasn’t feeling the love at all so I think tomorrow’s rest day is timely. Thinking I might go and get a sport massage soon to liven the legs up a bit. I’ve been a bit lazy about stretching recently so there’s that too :rolleyes:
      3 miles on grass (28:00)

On the plus side it's Day 7 of the self-imposed wine and sugar avoidance and I haven't cracked yet, despite 3 large bars of chocolate in the fridge and a nice bottle of red in the press.

Back to it this morning after 48 hours rest. Felt the better for it I have to say. Pilates class was great, not too tough and felt taller afterwards :D Maybe I’m finally getting the hang of it after 2 years....An hour of Body Balance then time for a run in the wind and rain. Plan was to do the Raheny 5 route again, this time at a relaxed, very easy pace for 4 miles and the final mile at target race pace (7 min/mile). I always use the same landmarks as mile markers just going from memory of where they are in the race so the splits might be a bit off. That said the wind along various parts of the route was so strong that it must have affected the pace. How is it though, that on a looped course I seem to be running into a headwind about 80% of the time :confused::confused:
      5 miles (last mile at target race pace) 9:03, 8:51, 8:36, 8:22, 6:57 (41:50)

The last mile was tough, possibly tougher than it should have been given that I should be stringing 5 of these together in 2 weeks time :eek: That said I’m glad I made the target. It’ll give me a bit of confidence when I hit the last mile marker during the race (totally died here last year).

Parkrun tomorrow I think with an enormous breakfast after, then a long run on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

You did well given the gale that's blowing! What length is the LSR Sunday?

SamforMayo wrote: »
    You did well given the gale that's blowing! What length is the LSR Sunday?

80 mins. Might go off-road/hilly if I have time otherwise it'll just be a 40 min plod each way. Hope this wind dies down!

You definitely did, I must have been in the eye of the storm, the only wind I had to grumble about today was a headwind for 150m of the second 400. You must do a Tunguska-style report on the Raheny 5 route :D please pretty pleeeease :D

Your template, should you choose to accept..... :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92595815&postcount=754

You must do a Tunguska-style report on the Raheny 5 route :D please pretty pleeeease :D

Your template, should you choose to accept..... :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92595815&postcount=754

Wow, that's a report! I'm glad Raheny's only 5 miles :D Have you not raced Raheny before ? No probs, leave it with me. You want me to include transport links to the northside ;) ?

Wow, that's a report! I'm glad Raheny's only 5 miles :D Have you not raced Raheny before ? No probs, leave it with me. You want me to include transport links to the northside ;) ?
    Nope, never. This is going to be a lovely PB too, never raced a five mile either :) yup, may as well do the works while you're there :D

You must do a Tunguska-style report on the Raheny 5 route :D please pretty pleeeease :D

As you asked so nicely :D. Hope this is of use. Now that I've done it I'm thinking somebody has probably already got one of those flashy speeded-up videos on YouTube :rolleyes:

Raheny 5 course

Start
    The race starts and finishes in the same place on All Saints Park. It’s narrow enough for the amount of runners so there can be quite a gap between the gun and crossing the mat depending on where you end up in the crowd. Even if you position yourself properly according to your pace (say, based on last year’s results) the start can be a bit chaotic and you’ll end up weaving around other runners. It’s very tempting to sprint off and away from the madness but you’d likely pay for that later on.

Mile 0-1
    There’s a left turn on to All Saints Road very soon after the start (maybe 200m). A lot of people cut the corner here by using the footpath so when you’re on the road you need to be aware of people jumping back on from the side after taking their shortcut :rolleyes:.It’s flat for a stretch here (just a few of those mini roundabouts to either run over or bypass) and you’ll see St.Anne’s Park on your right. At the T junction it’s another left, this time on to Watermill Road and a bit of a downhill dip towards the village before a short climb up to the junction with Howth Road. A left here and you’re back on the flat when the first mile marker comes into view after about 200m.

Mile 1-2
    The second mile is net downhill with a nice dip down the Howth Road. You can definitely make up/bank some time on the middle 3 miles as they’re all fast. The course takes a left on to Sybill Hill Road shortly after passing the Texaco garage. As far as I know this is the only place where you’re actually supposed to go up on the path (if anyone knows otherwise please shout!). Last year I narrowly avoided crashing into an old lady with her shopping cart here. Poor woman was just out getting her groceries when she was suddenly in the middle of hundreds of runners. Slight downhill continuing on Sybill Hill Road all the way to the second mile marker.

Mile 2-3
    Another left turn brings the route onto the leafy and quite posh Mount Prospect Ave which is pretty flat, if anything slightly downhill. This is a long straight stretch for approx half a mile then the road veers left and approaches the Rose Garden side of St.Annes. Just before the 3 mile point the road curves around to the right.

Mile 3-4
    Passing the entrance to the Red Stables, and still on Mount Prospect Ave, there’s a nice downhill section which ends at the Coast Road where you turn left as if heading to Howth. It’s always windy here, usually in your face but occasionally at your back. The course continues straight until the next junction and a left turn up to Watermill Road. There’s a bit of a climb here, starting just as you turn and pass the 4 mile marker.

Mile 4-5
    It’s not a steep climb; just where it falls in the race makes it a killer. Still on Watermill Road you continue to climb and just as it starts to level off you take a left back onto All Saints Road. This section is the same as the early part of the course, just going the opposite way. You’ll hear the sounds of the finish line: the MC, the music, the cheering etc. and there’s always some over-enthusiastic supporter at this point saying ‘Only 400m to go’ or ‘You’re nearly there’ whereas in reality you have at least another half mile to do. You have to run tantalisingly close to the finish line and then do a loop of a little park (3 right turns) before entering the finishing straight. Always amazing support on this last bit though, so even if your legs are hanging off you’ll find a kick from somewhere.

So, in summary. Miles 1 and 5 are tough, 2,3 and 4 are nice. Try to stay in control and stick to your race plan at the start even if it’s mayhem. Enjoy the middle miles and try to bank some seconds for the last mile. Ignore anyone who says there’s 400m to go (there never is) and remember you have to turn 3 right corners before you kick for the finish.

It's a super race, really well organised with lots of support and a top class field that carries you along. Oh and a goody bag full of treats :D

Saturday – parkrun
    It was my turn for a lie-on so of course I was first up and out of the house before sun up to get the DART to Malahide for the parkrun :rolleyes:. Wasn’t looking forward to it but it was grand in the end, not too cold after all and the course is sheltered from the worst of the wind. Serious puddles though :D. Aim was to go for 7 min mile splits (Raheny 5 target pace) by feel and hope not to be too wrecked by the end of it. Managed 7:01 average. Not sure if I could do two more after that at the same pace though but I guess I’ll find out soon enough!

5K (21:47) + 1 mile w/up + 0.5 mile c/d

Sunday – long run
    Dreading this but after a morning at Fun Galaxy I was ready to escape, even into a howling wind and a ‘feels like’ temp of about zero degrees. 80 mins on the plan so ran up to St.Annes, did an inside loop of the park, then home. The park was seriously mucky in parts, my runners did not cope well :(:( I had hoped to get out earlier to catch a glimpse of the Masters XC races but as it was I barely got around before dark.

80 mins (8.7 miles) on mix of path, tarmac, grass, trail and muck

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 27:)

Tunguska has been dethroned, thank you BG, now we just got to run it....deadly tips about the last 400m, I know I would have been fooled...

deadly tips about the last 400m, I know I would have been fooled...

I still get fooled! Every year!

• Advertisement

Monday again and the joy that is strength & conditioning. Without it I know I wouldn’t be running, never mind running pain-free, so any time I think about giving it a miss I give myself a stern talking to which does the trick (I can be school ma’am stern when required). Pilates was tough. I always find it much easier on a Friday when it follows a rest day. I’m going to take it as a good sign that I’m actually using my core muscles when I’m running. Did the usual routine in the gym which I keep promising to change up. It’s on the to do list, item number #1,338,902. Body Balance was jammers, normality should return in February when it’ll hopefully not be like working out in a tin of sardines. Recovery run the long way home, where dinner was served up (Mr.B is the best!) in front of the TV. Brooklyn 99 and The Good Wife, happy days.
      2 and a bit miles recovery (20:00)

Advertisement