Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

No opportunity to run this morning (due to an unexpected lie-on, so not complaining!) but that meant it had to wait until this evening. Brrrrrrr, if ever there was a night I was glad of my Columbia thermal running top. It’s the most horrific colour combination of cerise pink and Fanta orange but it works a treat in this sort of weather. Plus two pairs of gloves, a headband and a woolly hat – sorted. I was supposed to do a session involving 5 x 800m but after two miles when I couldn’t warm up I ditched that idea and just did an easy run.
      40 mins (4.25 miles). Freezing!

Another great lie-in for the lads :D so had to wait until this evening to run. Same (inland!) route as yesterday but ran it in reverse. It was positively balmy out compared to last night but I’m listening to the wind howling now and think I was lucky to get out when I did. A bit faster than yesterday, partly because my feet weren’t solid blocks of ice and partly because I was under pressure to get back for storytime :rolleyes:
      4.25 miles (37:30)

Same routine as last Friday. I am nothing if not predictable :rolleyes: Pilates, Body Balance and another run around the Raheny 5 route. No fast finish this time because of XC race tomorrow, so just tried to concentrate on form, staying relaxed and keep the cadence high. Fantastic morning for it – cold, sunny and very little wind. Faster than last week even though it felt so much easier. Fingers crossed for this sort of weather next Sunday at 3pm!

* 5 miles 40:33 (approx splits 8:54, 8:11, 7:56, 7:34, 7:58)

2 miles BHAA XC tomorrow. Separate men’s and women’s starts this time which is great in one way because you know who you’re racing against, but on the other hand there’s no drafting or shelter from the wind! Then a long run on Sunday to bring this week’s mileage up to 27 miles approx which (hold the chuckles, people!) will be another high mileage week for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck in the xc tomorrow. Hope the conditions are good and dry and not too slippy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Are you back yet?! How did you get on. I am seriously impressed with the amount of XC you are doing. You are going to reap such benefits in the spring and summer!

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Are you back yet?! How did you get on. I am seriously impressed with the amount of XC you are doing. You are going to reap such benefits in the spring and summer!

I am back, and having a sneaky peak at Boards when I should be helping with Peppa jigsaws online. If I disappear suddenly mid-sentence it means I've been rumbled ;).

Race went well thanks, perfect conditions and felt I ran as best I could. I much prefer XC and trail races to the road - I think the creaky joints don't appreciate the impact on concrete :rolleyes: That said I did a lot of XC last year (12+ races) and was dying for some solid ground in the end. What's next for you (after Raheny of course!) ? Leinsters XC ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Fair play Bungy it was freezing this morning! What was the course like?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I am back, and having a sneaky peak at Boards when I should be helping with Peppa jigsaws online. If I disappear suddenly mid-sentence it means I've been rumbled ;).

Race went well thanks, perfect conditions and felt I ran as best I could. I much prefer XC and trail races to the road - I think the creaky joints don't appreciate the impact on concrete :rolleyes: That said I did a lot of XC last year (12+ races) and was dying for some solid ground in the end. What's next for you (after Raheny of course!) ? Leinsters XC ?
    Ah good. Like your tactics (online jigsaws) :D Looking forward to the race report. Next for me is national masters on 8 Feb, double booked with Enniscorthy 10k :/

Fair play Bungy it was freezing this morning! What was the course like?

It was actually really nice! The ground was frozen for the most part so not mucky at all and the course was just one lap with a few ups and downs but no killer hills. There's a Meet & Train xc race on 22/2 in the same park, you should deffo try to make it.

Next for me is national masters on 8 Feb, double booked with Enniscorthy 10k :/

Ooh, the big time, fantastic. Shame about the clash though.

• Advertisement

Saturday - BHAA xc in Cherryfield Park

Perfect xc race conditions today, if a little bit frosty! The start was mayhem, I got boxed in for the first 200m or so and had to sprint out of it after getting an elbow in the ribs :eek: Relaxed into it then and really enjoyed it. The course was very picturesque with the frost in the winter sun and there were a few ups and downs to keep it interesting but nothing major. Held the same position for most of the race. Towards the end I overtook one girl who was fading then promptly got overtaken by two others. There’s karma for ya :rolleyes: Finished tired but happy, couldn’t have given it anything more.
      2 miles (xc) + 25 mins w/up and cool down

Sunday – Long run

Didn’t think I was going to get out until after dark so it was a nice bonus to run in the sun this afternoon. Stuck to the flat along the seafront and out to the Bull Wall. Pace was probably a bit too fast but it felt good and for once there wasn’t much of a breeze so the splits were quite even.
      70 mins (8.3 miles) on mix of grass and footpath

An easy week ahead with a mini taper for Raheny. I’ve booked a sports massage too which will hopefully freshen up the legs.

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 28 :D

Monday – Strength & Conditioning

I just realised that my Monday evening sessions add up to a total of 3.5 hours exercise :) Between the walk to the studio, the Pilates class, the walk to the gym, gym stuff, Body Balance and then the run home it’s 210 minutes of being on the move. Good to know if I ever get the mileage up high enough for a marathon I’ll have plenty of time for those 20 milers :D

Feeling a few niggles at the moment. Not sure if it’s just ghost pains ahead of Sunday’s race but I’ve a sore heel which I suspect is due to tight calves and a bit of a twinge at the top of my quad which is probably my hip flexor. Seeing the physical therapist on Tues evening anyway so hopefully will have a brand new pair of legs for Raheny. Other than that, all is good. RHR is low. I’ve survived 19 days so far off the vino and didn’t do too badly off the sugar either (lapses were for chocolate milk, necessary for post run recovery and a couple of fruit scones to counteract the Monday back to work blues).
      2 and a bit recovery miles (20:00)

Tuesday – Fartlek

First and last ‘session’ of the week. Hadn’t been to the local park in ages and my usual loop was strewn with branches so that threw an obstacle course into the mix on top of the fartlek.
      4 miles including 2 miles fartlek (random paces and distances) (35:45)

I've always been impressed by the amount of exercise you do on your 'rest' day, now I am even more so. :) Well done on the vino and sugar too, although technically, chocolate milk is an athlete's best friend so doesn't count as a lapse :D Come to think of it, scones are a necessary food group too...

technically, chocolate milk is an athlete's best friend so doesn't count as a lapse :D Come to think of it, scones are a necessary food group too...

I tried to convince myself that Tiffin is one of my 5 a Day because of the raisins. Although the same logic could apply to wine so it's probably flawed...:rolleyes:

Well, if I thought I was going for a nice gentle tune-up massage last night I was sadly mistaken. The physical therapist (a genius, and another reason I am still in one piece and able to run) discovered some lovely knots in my calves which were causing the sore heel. :eek: OMG it was torture :eek: I was not brave. I did not get a lollipop. I hobbled away under strict instructions not to run until Friday and to warm up and stretch the calves thoroughly before and even during the next few runs to make sure I don’t scupper things for Sunday. It’s not the end of the world – Thursday was going to be a rest day in any case so I’m only missing today’s easy 3 miler. I’ve ordered a new pair of runners to help me feel better :) and I think I should look into replacing my XC spikes which have survived 2 long seasons now and have seen better days. Can anyone recommend a comfy pair of spikes or is that a contradiction in terms?

Ooh and ouch! As you say, probably the best time to be having an enforced rest. Would you be allowed to do a few strides towards the end of Friday's run to shake the legs out?
    I tried on a 'comfy' pair of spikes when taking home my Brooks Mach babies last month...damn can't remember what they were but they were a sort of pale aqua. That's really helpful, I know :D Yeah I'd say with the amount of XC you've been doing they deserve retirement :) The good folks in Amphibian King would sort you out, ask for a spike that resemble an actual runner more. I was down there this morning, damn could have asked... (Got new road racing babies, very gaudy colourful Saucony something-or-other :cool:)

Enjoy the rest and hope those poor tortured leggies recover soon :D

(Got new road racing babies, very gaudy colourful Saucony something-or-other :cool:)
    Oh I love Saucony. I wear Kinvaras and they're light as a feather. Did you get the new Endorphins by any chance?

Ignore that. I've just seen them. A6s! So so pretty. You'll probably win Raheny with them :-)

So so pretty. You'll probably win Raheny with them :-)[/B]

you mean the pretty runners race? That's a shoe-in :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Well, if I thought I was going for a nice gentle tune-up massage last night I was sadly mistaken. The physical therapist (a genius, and another reason I am still in one piece and able to run) discovered some lovely knots in my calves which were causing the sore heel. :eek: OMG it was torture :eek: I was not brave. I did not get a lollipop

Heehee I had something similar a few months back... I had to remind myself I'd been through labour twice and not to be a baby...had to do some labour breathing to get me through lol :o.

Heehee I had something similar a few months back... I had to remind myself I'd been through labour twice and not to be a baby...had to do some labour breathing to get me through lol :o.

I swear I would rather give birth to a set of triplets than go through that again! The things we do to keep on running :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It feels like FOREVER since I went for a run but it’s only been 3 days! I was itching for a run yesterday but sense prevailed I ordered some new XC spikes online instead. To go with the new runners I ordered a few days ago. Being injured is a dangerously expensive occupation!

After Pilates and Body Balance this morning I went for an easy run on grass to test the calves and thankfully all seems well. The right calf is battered and bruised from the treatment but the pain in the heel is almost gone and I think I just need to keep stretching it and do a decent pre-race warm up on Sunday. And remember to tie my laces :o:o
      4 miles easy (on grass) 34:56. There’s a number I’d be happy to see on the watch on Sunday. Well, I can dream anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

• 4 miles easy (on grass) 34:56. There’s a number I’d be happy to see on the watch on Sunday. Well, I can dream anyway :rolleyes:

hey! Maybe it's a sign!
    Best of luck Sunday!!!! I'll have the Round Numbers table ready for you along with dubgal!

Ososlo wrote: »
    hey! Maybe it's a sign!
    Best of luck Sunday!!!! I'll have the Round Numbers table ready for you along with dubgal!

Thanks Ososlo. I think Dubgal has it in the bag all right.

Me on the other hand, just one additional mile at the speed of light and I'll be sorted :cool: Will give it my best shot anyway.

Nonono ladies! Pressure is building! :D I know, I started it... :o Anyway, best of best of luck BG, really hope you crack it. I think all the ingredients (general fitness, cross country endurance fitness and familiarity with the territory to name but three....) are going to come together for you.

Would really like to see both of you at some stage. Keep an eye out for the brand new bright orange A6's. I'll probably be wearing a purple Bray Runners t shirt too :)

familiarity with the territory

I shan't get lost anyway :rolleyes:
    Would really like to see both of you at some stage. Keep an eye out for the brand new bright orange A6's. I'll probably be wearing a purple Bray Runners t shirt too :)

Will deffo scan the starting pen for brand new A6's :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

4 miles easy (on grass) 34:56. There’s a number I’d be happy to see on the watch on Sunday. Well, I can dream anyway :rolleyes:

Very best of luck Sunday ;-) Looking forward to race report....with 34:xx at the top!!

Mimojo wrote: »
    Very best of luck Sunday ;-) Looking forward to race report....with 34:xx at the top!!
    Thanks a million Mimojo. Are you definitely out for Sunday, or.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Thanks a million Mimojo. Are you definitely out for Sunday, or.....?

Looking that way, will call it for sure tomorrow! All the reports on here will keep me well informed! Must find another one to sign up to now, keep the motivation levels up!

Did the St.Anne’s parkrun this morning at warm up pace dressed in hat, gloves, scarf (!) and a hoodie – not my usual running gear but it was brass monkeys and I knew all the gear would keep me on the right track in terms of pace. Followed that with some strides on grass which felt ok, so I think all the tweaks and twinges I’ve been feeling are just nerves ahead of tomorrow’s race. Collected my race number afterwards (they have your name printed on them, how cool is that ?! :cool:) so all good to go. Good luck everyone, go smash those targets!
      5K easy + strides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Oh I love Saucony. I wear Kinvaras and they're light as a feather. Did you get the new Endorphins by any chance?

Ignore that. I've just seen them. A6s! So so pretty. You'll probably win Raheny with them :-)

I love when this log descends (or ascends) into girly excitement about shoes :) and I hope you both kicked ass with those fancy shoes today :D

Advertisement