Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    We had a false start (technical issues, I don’t think anyone jumped the gun) then we were off.

Are you sure it wasn't the European Champs you were at?

Thank you for the descriptive report, it's interesting to find out exactly what it's like to be in the thick of things during a track event. Kudos on the silver medal, it was very well earned and as you said, it's a shame that you don't get to do more of these to hone your experience and skills - it would most likely get more people to try indoor track.

Hope the knees are recovering well, can only imagine what a head f**k that race was. As always, you're an inspiration to the rest of us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Some great racing G and congrats on getting a National medal. Definitely something to be proud about.

It sounds like a whole different set of tactics are required for indoor track vs the mucky fields, particularly on a short track. Well done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Very well done G, congrats on the medal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Wow, serious stuff there. You are brave!

Well done on the silver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Your 1500 looked extremely tough so you should congratulate yourself for getting in there and not bailing out. Just think - if you can race that 1500 you can do anything!

I don't know why people are put off the 60 - it's all over in 9 or 10 seconds so what can go wrong! On the other hand - 1500 meters? Way too tough! What with the bends and the boxing in and the heels and the elbows and the lapping from the young wans and the heat. Very, very tough.

It's great to get this tough race practice in so early in the year, all that'll come are improvements - or so they tell me! Congratulations on your national silver medal, and roll on the outdoors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the National Silver medal BG. Not too many of them floating around these parts.

The indoors sounds like a whole different experience and well done for getting stuck in. I was tempted to try the track(outdoors) last year but I wasn't brave enough:o, I will be braver this year!! Great report too, I could feel the tension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Congrats on medalling and great reports to read. Fantastic performance in both races, they sound really tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great report and again, well done! Fwiw, I've got really good at ignoring the splits as I go around. They tend to throw me and I've found I race better if I'm concentrating on just the race.

Re your time, I definitely saw 5:46 (may have been :48) as you gracefully soared across the line (hope your knees are ok!). Mine is on as 5:08 on the official results but it was definitely 5:06 turning to :07 as I stopped. A fellow Sli Cualann coach also timed me at 5:06xx and he's quite an exact type. I fkeep thinking I must email AI about it but haven't yet/not that bothered.

I definitely want to try a 400 too! And can't wait to give the 800 a lash at gradeds. Sort of sorry I didn't double up. An old running friend of mine, Dónal, has moved down from longer stuff to 400/800 and is absolutely flying it. His finish in the 400 was the most thrilling race of the day! So yeah, I think some of us as we age, should give moving down in distance a try.

Recover well! (Are you feeling like the indoor season was over too soon?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great report! Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great running and report. Were you running in the 1500 with the silver medal on? That might've made things tougher... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great honest report. Fair play to you G for giving the 1500 a bash and great to come away with the silver in the 800. Long may your success continue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent report and congrats on your medal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Congrats on the silver. Enjoyed the reports, interesting to get an insight into something different. Always good to keep on the learning curve, more experience to build on for the next time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Just catching up on the report BG... in awe of your guts and determination (and speed too of course). Sounds like race experience would make a difference in the 800 for sure... the silver medal is a great result. But I'm even more proud of you for the 1500... true grit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great report as always, congrats. Nice of the announcer to distract you and contribute to your 'dip' finish. :)

You worked hard for this so enjoy the result. Gwan the Cru. Another result to be read out at the AGM. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Congrats on your silverware a great report

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done G and the report is as enjoyable as ever to read. You have a great attitude to running. Keep experimenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Thanks all for the kind comments. We've had 'The Pox' in the house since Tuesday :rolleyes: so while I've been reading I haven't had time to reply. I also think the smell of Calamine lotion will never leave the house...

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done G, some more great racing experience, it's really brave to take on an event like 1500m especially when you know your out of your debth, hard to keep
    yourself focused right to the end, not even a tinge of shame in the result, I would have pride in having the cahonas to take it on. Really well done on the silver, sounds like you have good day.

Thanks, G. Always good to have some bling to show for a tough event. Can't help thinking I should've called it a day after that, but I suppose the experience counts for something (mainly, knowing I won't be doing that again :rolleyes:)
    Congrats on the silver G! Very hard to take on two of those races in the one day (he says, never having run indoors!) especially with the very high standard of runners there.

Thanks J. Yeah, with the benefit of hindsight I might have been better off calling it quits after the 800m and saved myself the red face and the skinned kness!
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Hats off to you, big style!!!! You have more balls than most of us for taking both on. Sorry to hear about the fall. You poor thing. Hope no damage done.
    Fab report and great that you have learned so much to bring into your next onslaught.
    Massive well done on silver!!

Thanks so much, A. No damage done (except to my pride :o). Knee is healing nicely. In a way I wish the season was a bit longer, so I could actually race again indoors. At my advanced age I'll probably have forgotten all the learning by next year :D.
    Brilliant report!! Congrats on the national bling too :D It's all a learning curve. Hats off for taking the challenge on in your usual inimitable style :cool:

Cheers AM. It's not often writing the report takes longer than the actual race :D.
    #BGNailedTheNatsAgain

Not sure about nailing it. But 'participated in' doesn't really have the same ring to it :pac::pac::pac:

dna_leri wrote: »
    Well done on putting yourself out there and trying the indoors. It is a different experience to the road or XC.
    It is very hard to double up - nothing wrong with targeting just one event well.
    In the 800m, if you went through half-way in 1:20 feeling "too comfortable", you can realistically aim for 2:40 which would put you in the mix with the leader.

Thank you dna_leri, and massive congrats to you on your own performance. I suppose it seemed like a long way to go for just one event, and I had managed to double up last year outdoors without any adverse effects, but it seems like that might not work so well for indoors!
    My target for the year is to go sub 2:40, so that half way split has given me a bit of confidence at least that it's not completely unrealistic :).

Neady83 wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't the European Champs you were at?

Thank you for the descriptive report, it's interesting to find out exactly what it's like to be in the thick of things during a track event. Kudos on the silver medal, it was very well earned and as you said, it's a shame that you don't get to do more of these to hone your experience and skills - it would most likely get more people to try indoor track.

Hope the knees are recovering well, can only imagine what a head f**k that race was. As always, you're an inspiration to the rest of us :)

Thanks so much, Neady. I hope you're fast asleep now after your epic adventure - now THAT was inspiration! Puts my paltry few laps into perspective :o.
    Ferris B wrote: »
    Some great racing G and congrats on getting a National medal. Definitely something to be proud about.

It sounds like a whole different set of tactics are required for indoor track vs the mucky fields, particularly on a short track. Well done.

Thanks, C. It is a completely different ball game! I had a great (solo) training session a few weeks ago at Abbottstown and felt prepared but that all went out the window when another 10 runners were added on to the track!
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Very well done G, congrats on the medal!

Thanks, A. Any track racing planned yourself ?
    Wow, serious stuff there. You are brave!

Well done on the silver :)

Cheers, Hilly. Not sure about brave - foolhardy a better description perhaps ?

• Advertisement

Mulberry wrote: »
    Your 1500 looked extremely tough so you should congratulate yourself for getting in there and not bailing out. Just think - if you can race that 1500 you can do anything!

I don't know why people are put off the 60 - it's all over in 9 or 10 seconds so what can go wrong! On the other hand - 1500 meters? Way too tough! What with the bends and the boxing in and the heels and the elbows and the lapping from the young wans and the heat. Very, very tough.

It's great to get this tough race practice in so early in the year, all that'll come are improvements - or so they tell me! Congratulations on your national silver medal, and roll on the outdoors!

Thanks, R. Hopefully this will make the outdoors seem a bit easier all right! Do you have any idea what the temp would have been indoors in Athlone ? Chances are it'll be a bit cooler outdoors in the summer :D.

I think what terrifies me most about the 60m would be being stuck in my blocks while everyone else is crossing the finish line :o

What's next for you ? Graded ?
    Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on the National Silver medal BG. Not too many of them floating around these parts.

The indoors sounds like a whole different experience and well done for getting stuck in. I was tempted to try the track(outdoors) last year but I wasn't brave enough:o, I will be braver this year!! Great report too, I could feel the tension.

I will hold you to that! What distance do you think ?
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    Congrats on medalling and great reports to read. Fantastic performance in both races, they sound really tough.

Thank you :). I guess races are always tough if you're pushing yourself, but the 1500m was a different level of hurt I must say. Glad to have got through it relatively unscathed :D.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Great report and again, well done! Fwiw, I've got really good at ignoring the splits as I go around. They tend to throw me and I've found I race better if I'm concentrating on just the race.

Re your time, I definitely saw 5:46 (may have been :48) as you gracefully soared across the line (hope your knees are ok!). Mine is on as 5:08 on the official results but it was definitely 5:06 turning to :07 as I stopped. A fellow Sli Cualann coach also timed me at 5:06xx and he's quite an exact type. I fkeep thinking I must email AI about it but haven't yet/not that bothered.

I definitely want to try a 400 too! And can't wait to give the 800 a lash at gradeds. Sort of sorry I didn't double up. An old running friend of mine, Dónal, has moved down from longer stuff to 400/800 and is absolutely flying it. His finish in the 400 was the most thrilling race of the day! So yeah, I think some of us as we age, should give moving down in distance a try.

Recover well! (Are you feeling like the indoor season was over too soon?!)

Thanks, DG. Yup, I'm all for those races now that give you your own lane for more than 5 seconds :D. Interesting re. the clock, because I did see 5:00 clearly starting the last lap and I really don't think I could have taken 51+ secs to get around, even with the state of me at that point. Unfortunately I was too busy going splat to pay attention to the clock as I finished :o.

What's next for you ? Road Relays ?
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Great report! Well done!

Thanks C! Good to hear from you, hope all well with you. Log's a bit quiet, just sayin'....

Singer wrote: »
    Great running and report. Were you running in the 1500 with the silver medal on? That might've made things tougher... :D

Ha ha, yes. It was that weighing me down caused all the trouble :D.
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Great honest report. Fair play to you G for giving the 1500 a bash and great to come away with the silver in the 800. Long may your success continue!

Thanks, R. 1500m never seemed so long :eek:.
    diego_b wrote: »
    Excellent report and congrats on your medal!

Cheers, D. BG Jr has appropriated the medal and added it to her collection :rolleyes:.
    laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Congrats on the silver. Enjoyed the reports, interesting to get an insight into something different. Always good to keep on the learning curve, more experience to build on for the next time around.

Next time ? :eek:
    annapr wrote: »
    Just catching up on the report BG... in awe of your guts and determination (and speed too of course). Sounds like race experience would make a difference in the 800 for sure... the silver medal is a great result. But I'm even more proud of you for the 1500... true grit!

Thanks, Anna. I would have thought XC racing might be a transferable skill but oddly enough while I've no problem using my elbows in XC I didn't feel right about it indoors. Nobody else seemed to have the same problem though :rolleyes:.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great report as always, congrats. Nice of the announcer to distract you and contribute to your 'dip' finish. :)

You worked hard for this so enjoy the result. Gwan the Cru. Another result to be read out at the AGM. ;)

I wanted the ground (track?) to open up and swallow me at that point :o. Something about Indoors that makes you feel like a gladiator in an arena :eek:
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Congrats on your silverware a great report

Thanks, Mrs Mc. Looking forward to reading your report shortly enough. Not long til kick off now, hope you smash it !
    denis b wrote: »
    Well done G and the report is as enjoyable as ever to read. You have a great attitude to running. Keep experimenting.

Thanks, D. I will for sure. Great to have all these events to try at masters level. I don't think I would have had the nerve when I was younger!

Monday – REST

No running, despite taking the morning off work. Got loads of errands done instead :rolleyes:.

Tuesday – Club Session

Ran to the club. Legs felt heavy and I was in two minds about doing the session. Decided to hang off the back of the group anyway and cut it short if necessary. 6 x 800m was the plan, and managed to complete them, albeit conservatively, more like 5 mile pace instead of 5K pace. Didn’t kill myself and felt fine afterwards so job done. Weather was manky so didn’t delay and just ran home.

06:49 06:39 06:53
    06:50 07:05 07:08 06:54Average min/mile

• 8.6 miles total (track, path)

Wednesday – S&C, Easy

Ran to Pilates then up to the Wooden Bridge and back after the class. Lovely mild clear night. Legs still heavy so kept it very easy.
    • 5.3 miles total (grass, path)

Thursday – REST

Unscheduled due to The Pox mentioned above.

Friday – Easy

Chomping at the bit to get out after a day of nursing BG Jr. who – of course – is in flying form for the most part but can’t go to school.
    • 6.5 miles @ 9:15 (grass, path)

Saturday – Tempo (of sorts)

Missed the club hills session so tried to recreate it (without the hills :rolleyes:) in St.Anne’s in the afternoon. Used the Dublin Masters XC loop and after a longish warm up, a dynamic and some strides, I did 4 x 1 mile reps with 90 secs recovery. Went by effort as the GPS goes wonky on part of this route due to the trees. Pace was slow though, even allowing for the loss of GPS, but at least it was consistently slow :rolleyes:, and I was happy with the effort on a muddy loop (8:11, 8:09, 8:11, 8:15). Couldn’t help giggling to myself every time I hurdled the log, recalling “Log!”, “Log!”, “Log”, which will be familiar to anyone who saw the online video of the masters back in January. Also, I am easily amused :D.
    • 9.3 miles total (grass, mud, trail, path, log)

Sunday – LSR, + Day 1, 30 Day Challenge

Time to give myself a kick up there arse when it comes to S&C. One Pilates class per week isn’t going to cut it, so I’m hoping to jump start my way back into the gym by making sure to stick to JD’s 30 Day Challenge for the next month.

But first, while a bunch of intrepid boardsies were racing 10 miles in Ballycotton, I did 11 easy miles around the ‘hood including the old Raheny 5 route.

Before I could change my mind, I did the Day 1 routine as soon as I got home. Just 4 simple enough moves for today. My balance leaves a lot to be desired but I felt good after the stretches.
    • 11.0 miles @ 9:15 (path)

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 40.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Is that log a permanent feature or will they ever move it? :confused:

I challenge you to get to day 21. Think that's where I got stuck. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is that log a permanent feature or will they ever move it? :confused:

You can't move the log! :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, A. Any track racing planned yourself ?

No, not really. Maybe Trinity in June!

Is that log a permanent feature or will they ever move it?:confused:

I'd like to see them try! Something else to chain myself to :rolleyes:.
    RayCun wrote: »
    You can't move the log! :eek:

Agreed ! There'd be a public outcry ;) (well from the XC running public anyway!). They can take our trails....but not our log *shakes fist* :pac::pac:

I challenge you to get to day 21. Think that's where I got stuck. ;)

I accept! Although I probably should have checked ahead to see what's in store before committing :rolleyes:. I'm brimming with confidence and optimism having completed Day 2 :D

• Advertisement

I'd like to see them try! Something else to chain myself to :rolleyes:.

They can take our trails....but not our log *shakes fist* :pac::pac:

File%2013-03-2017%2C%2023%2037%2054.jpeg

Monday – REST

Went to physio. Ouch. Got work done on glutes, QLs and quads.

Tuesday - Club Session

Ran over to club. Some of the track was under repair so coaches had devised sessions for all the groups based on a 350m lap and a walk recovery. My group were to do 10 x 350m with 80 seconds recovery. Coach said 3K pace but it ended up being more like mile pace. I was with a bunch of speedsters so didn’t even bother trying to keep up with them and ran on my own. This was tough and it took every ounce of discipline I had to complete the set. Very happy with the paces though, and fairly consistent for the most part.

05:49 05:45 05:52 05:40
    05:41 05:55 05:45 05:53
    05:54 06:04

Plodded home after that.
    • 7.7 miles total (track, path)

Wednesday – S&C, Easy

Ran to Pilates. Good class. Ran to meeting. Took notes. Ran home.
    • 4.8 miles total (path)

Thursday - Easy

Short loop through the ‘hood up to Donnycarney and back down via Gracepark.
    • 4.2 miles @ 9:10 (path)

Friday - Easy

Had an errand to run – literally – up to Artane to deliver a package and back home. Very windy on the way back and pace reflects this. Was also sluggish after eating a big lunch.
    • 5.5 miles @ 9:27 (path)

Saturday - Tempo

Couldn’t make club training so repeated the session I did last week by myself in St.Anne’s on the log loop: 4 x 1 mile with 90 seconds recovery. It was wet, windy and mucky and I had to force myself to keep pushing on the miles and not just jog it out. Splits much better than last week as a result (7:38, 7:42, 7:45, 7:53). Times still don’t reflect the effort though - pesky tree cover :rolleyes:.
    • 9.2 miles total (grass, trail, path)

Sunday - LSR

Wore my fancy new Garmin 235 as well as my trusty Forerunner 10. Some discrepancies between the 2 watches (the new one tells me I’m slower :rolleyes: ). I now have cadence and HR data to add to my stats (177 spm, and avg HR 140 for this run) Otherwise an uneventful run up to Raheny, around the (old) 5 mile route and back home.
    • 10 miles @ 8:54 (path)

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 41.4

Reduced mileage next week, and a bash at Dunboyne 4 miler. PB is 28:05 from 2014 so I'd hope to get under 28 anyway.

Hope you shouted "Log!"

Hope you shouted "Log!"

Every time ;)!

Monday – Easy

Had the morning off (no choice about it, BG Jr’s school had a random day off :rolleyes:) but didn’t get out until lunchtime. Breezed along the coast in fab sunshine then turned into a headwind and slowed to a plod. Then I was attacked by giant hailstones and had to stop completely as it was like being pelted with mini frozen bullets. Slunk home very cold and wet. Meh.
    • 5.0 miles @ 9:51 (grass, path)

Tuesday – Club Session

Same session as last week on the 350m currently available of the track. Coach said we only had to do 9 reps this week. I ended up missing one completely due to having a complete brain freeze with my watch and didn’t get a time for another one having pressed the wrong button :rolleyes:.

8 x 350m (80 secs rec)
    05:39 05:42 05:50
    05:52 05:54 05:49
    05:39 05:46
    average

Happy with the paces which are all quicker than mile pace
    • 3.8 miles total (track)

Wednesday – S&C, Easy

Ran a few miles before Pilates. Spent half the class in agony with cramping in my right foot, calf and hamstring but was grand on the run home. Not sure what that was about but seem to remember the same thing happening last year around speedy time.
    • 4.0 miles total (path)

Thursday – REST

Scheduled. No chance of getting out anyway.

Friday – Easy

Out and back along the promenade. Noticed a twinge around my ankle and remembered I’d gone over on it last Sunday during my long run but thought I’d got away with it. I was aware of it for a couple of miles but then it seemed to ease off. Odd that it’s only making its presence felt now, especially after a rest day.
    • 5.0 miles @ 8:56 (grass, path) Avg HR 132 bpm, Cadence 175 spm

Saturday – Easy

Loops of the local park in the glorious sunshine finishing with some strides at around 6:30 min/mile pace. Ankle bothering me again so I’ve made an appointment with the physio. Should be okay for tomorrow with any luck, especially as it’s road and not xc.
    • 4.1 miles @ 9:02 (grass, path)

Sunday – Dunboyne 4

A decent effort today, but no PB. Was on target until the last mile with nice even 7 min/mile splits but the last mile (plus change) was slow; probably the heat getting to me and also a touch of the FlAbs which I didn’t want to aggravate by pushing hard. The afters were amazing (coffee cake, nom!) and BG Jr. got to bring home some bling and a goodie bag after the kids’ race so all in all a very enjoyable outing. Well done Mulberry, Annie GYR and clubmates for a great event. And of course big congrats to Laura_AC3 on another PB!

Stats:
    28:27 official time
    41st F (of 631), 7th in AG, 6th Team (4th scorer)
    129% of F winner
    • 6.3 miles total (path, road)

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 28.2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Fairly big session Tues G, do you think may have affected Sunday effort. Would have thought sub 28 for sure.

Interesting about the ankle - you described that LR of previous week as uneventful yet had gone over on it. Reminder I suppose that any little incident, insignificant as it seems at the time, can dwell longer. Only mention this because I have a slight ankle discomfort myself occasionally, but can't remember any particular likely cause.

Anyhoo - didn't sound like Dunboyne loomed large in your race calendar, but the FlAbs thing can't be fun, especially if had previously disappeared (still think you're talking about a stitch, FWIW). Unlucky.

What's next?

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Fairly big session Tues G, do you think may have affected Sunday effort. Would have thought sub 28 for sure.

Thanks, G! It may have contributed all right, and for sure this wasn't a target race. I'm not disappointed, just resigned to the fact that there's no such thing as an easy PB anymore :rolleyes::o.

Interesting about the ankle - you described that LR of previous week as uneventful yet had gone over on it. Reminder I suppose that any little incident, insignificant as it seems at the time, can dwell longer. Only mention this because I have a slight ankle discomfort myself occasionally, but can't remember any particular likely cause.

Anyhoo - didn't sound like Dunboyne loomed large in your race calendar, but the FlAbs thing can't be fun, especially if had previously disappeared (still think you're talking about a stitch, FWIW). Unlucky.

What's next?

Yeah, I didn't even mentioned the ankle at the time because it hurt for about 2 seconds then it was fine until the Friday, 5 days later :confused:. Fine now as well so who knows.
    (still think you're talking about a stitch, FWIW).

I wish! I know it sounds like a traditional stitch but the difference between this and a normal stitch is that I can have considerable pain and discomfort for at least a week, sometimes longer. It will affect my breathing and my sleep and I wouldn't be able to race or do a session without it flaring up again. Several highly paid experts haven't been able to shed any light on it :rolleyes:. I have a couple of theories, but what seems to work in terms of prevention is keeping the abs strong,and maintaining a healthy diet and keeping my weight in check. Most instances of this have been post-festive periods such as Xmas, Holidays, Birthdays etc. so I can't help thinking there's a gastro element to this too.

• Advertisement

Monday – Easy

No recollection of this until I looked at Garmin Connect. Loops of the local park at an easy pace apparently .
    • 4.0 miles @ 9:27 (path, grass)

Tuesday – Club Session

3 sets of 4 x 200m @ 800m pace with 45 secs rec and 6 mins between sets.

04:56 05:05 05:35 05:07
    05:11 04:54 05:30 05:16
    05:28 05:12 05:54 05:16

Average 5:17 min/mile

I remember this session *fondly* from last year. It’s hell, but in a good way, and you look forward to those 6 minutes like they’re an afternoon nap. Coach had said it’s the third one in each set that’s the killer and sure enough, my pace dropped significantly on the 3rd rep every time. Happy with the average which is better than my 800m PB.

Ran to the track and back to add to the mileage.
    • 7.3 miles total (track)

Wednesday – S&C, Easy

Great Pilates class tonight, with no recurrence of the cramping from last week. Ran there, then ran the long way home at recovery pace.
    • 5.0 miles total (path, grass)

Thursday – REST

Visit to the physio where she hammered my hammys, crunched my calves and quashed my quads. Also did a bit of work on my ankle but said it was healing by itself.

Friday – Easy

A nice relaxed run on the trails in St.Anne’s
    • 4.3 miles easy (trail)

STATS FOR THE MONTH

MILES: 151. Happy with that.

S&C: 5 Pilates, 2 days of the 30 Day Challenge :o. Must start it again :rolleyes:.

DAYS RUNNING: 25 out of 31

RACES: 2. This time last year I had clocked up 12 races by the end of March!

Month 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
    January 154 141 101 86 0
    February 127 134 109 75 0
    March 151 114 124 109 0
    April 127 129 101 24
    May 127 133 95 81
    June 110 110 86 72
    July 139 181 2 101
    August 91 208 31 37
    September 136 133 83 43
    October 144 155 93 64
    November 147 170 107 69
    December 105 113 119 94
    432 1515 1666 987 585

Hi BG,

Mind me asking why the 3rd rep is the killer one each set? and particularly so when you are flying on the next, and final, rep each time. I know there must be something obvious that I am probably missing. Reason I ask is that I have a series of these type of sessions on my training block (but just 2 sets) and I have not noticed this effect.

Yours,

Always Learning:)

Hi BG,

Mind me asking why the 3rd rep is the killer one each set? and particularly so when you are flying on the next, and final, rep each time. I know there must be something obvious that I am probably missing. Reason I ask is that I have a series of these type of sessions on my training block (but just 2 sets) and I have not noticed this effect.

Yours,

Always Learning:)

Hey Denis, it's gas, I probably wouldn't have noticed only for coach said it and sure enough when I looked at the paces afterwards there's a big slump all right. Coach said reps 1 and 2 feel easy because you're on fresh legs or at least you have a long break behind you. The last rep you know you've got a rest coming so psychologically it's easier. The third has neither the benefit of fresh legs or an imminent break and so feels, and probably is, much tougher. I think it's the exact same in a 800m race, and the reason why most 800m races are run as a negative split - the first 400m is easy and the last 200m you're almost home, but that 200m in between is torture because you're exhausted and still far from the finish. Does that make sense ? In this particular session you're doing 3 times race distance at race pace. Even with the long recoveries this is a tough session. And coach said to me before about this session - anyone can do 2 sets, it's the last set that's the important one and it's where the training benefit really kicks in.

Does that make sense ? Good to see you the other morning. The picture of freedom while I was stuck in traffic heading to work :rolleyes:

Hey Denis, it's gas, I probably wouldn't have noticed only for coach said it and sure enough when I looked at the paces afterwards there's a big slump all right. Coach said reps 1 and 2 feel easy because you're on fresh legs or at least you have a long break behind you. The last rep you know you've got a rest coming so psychologically it's easier. The third has neither the benefit of fresh legs or an imminent break and so feels, and probably is, much tougher. I think it's the exact same in a 800m race, and the reason why most 800m races are run as a negative split - the first 400m is easy and the last 200m you're almost home, but that 200m in between is torture because you're exhausted and still far from the finish. Does that make sense ? In this particular session you're doing 3 times race distance at race pace. Even with the long recoveries this is a tough session. And coach said to me before about this session - anyone can do 2 sets, it's the last set that's the important one and it's where the training benefit really kicks in.

Does that make sense ? Good to see you the other morning. The picture of freedom while I was stuck in traffic heading to work :rolleyes:

Makes absolute sense G, and I am always fairly wiped after 2 sets. Would be on all fours home after 3. Can definitely understand the psychological implications of the running order so thanks for the explanation.

I though it was you driving but wasn't absolutely sure so hedged my bets with a muffled "howaya G" :o. It was a "clear the head" recovery run so the concentration was not quite there.

Onwards and upwards.

I though it was you driving but wasn't absolutely sure so hedged my bets with a muffled "howaya G" :o. It was a "clear the head" recovery run so the concentration was not quite there.

Ha ha, I was disguised in civilian clothes and not my customary running gear :D

I'm having to work to translate your paces into rep times to compare with mine but I see I have work to do elsewhere also. Great session.

• Advertisement

I'm having to work to translate your paces into rep times to compare with mine but I see I have work to do elsewhere also. Great session.

Ha ha, thanks, but there's a big difference between running on a track with the benefit of a 'group effect' and doing a solo session on the tarmac in Albo!

Saturday – Club Session

The session is a closely guarded secret until you actually turn up (probably to make sure we actually do turn up :pac::pac:). Today was 4 sets of 2 x 400m with 100m jog (in 30 secs, so not a jog at all really :rolleyes:) recovery and 2 mins between sets. We were doing this on the grass in an L shape with half of each rep wind assisted and the other half into a headwind. The first rep of each set was the easier of the 2 as it seemed to be more wind assisted. Target pace was 1500m pace (6 min/mile) but after going too fast on the first rep I didn’t get near that pace again and just focussed on the effort. The grass was a bit soft so that may have contributed to the slower pace (excuses, excuses :o). This was tough. First time doing this session and the recovery is so short (and fast!) that you may as well be doing an 800m straight.

05:39 06:37
    06:20 06:46
    06:19 06:36
    06:28 06:33

Found this very tough but glad I dug in and gave it my best shot. Had to head home immediately after but got to do my cool down in the local park.
    • 6.9 miles total (grass, tarmac)

Sunday - LSR

Late enough getting out for this. Did my current preferred 10 mile route which is up to St.Anne’s via Killester, the old Raheny 5 route and back the same way. Did this in shorts and t-shirt. A few weeks ago, half of this run would have been in the dark and I’d have been wearing my thermals!
    • 10.3 miles @ 8:53 (path) HR 133, Cadence 177.

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 37.8

Monday - REST

Unscheduled. Wasn't in the humour and said I'd do a run on Thursday instead. Then realised too late that I wouldn't have any free time on Thursday :rolleyes:.

Tuesday - Club Session

Good session! 4 x 400m @ 1500m pace (6 min/mile) and 4 x 200m @ 800m pace (5:20 min/mile). 90 secs recoveries across the board.

05:37 05:53 05:47 05:49 05:46 average
    05:07 05:28 05:14 05:22 05:17 average

Ran there and back. Dynamic warm up included too.
    • 6.9 miles total (path, track)

Wednesday - S&C, Easy

Pilates and a run along the promenade. Bumped into Annapr and so had company for a some of this.
    • 5.1 miles total (path, grass)

Thursday - REST

Nada. A busy day including work, ferrying BG Jr around various activities and a night out at the theatre. Proper cultured, me ;).

Friday - Easy

A few loops of the local park with some strides thrown in. Fab evening for it .
    • 3.2 miles @ 9:21 (grass)

Saturday - BHAA DCC 2 miles (St.Anne's)

This was prescribed by coach in place of a session. Would have preferred a session but no harm to see where I'm at. PB is 13:16 from the same race last year which was run in far cooler conditions. Stunning day today, just a bit hot for me for racing but it was glorious to bask in it later when watching the men's race. Course had changed slightly due to the works just after the tennis courts, which meant the run to the finish instead of being 250m was about 650m. Longest 650m I've ever ran :rolleyes:.Very lucky to get some enthusiastic shouts on this stretch from Annapr, Laura and FBOT. I know I got a shout from Red Runner too but I can't remember which point in the race that was (thanks, RR!). I was on target for a slight PB after 1 mile (6:37) and feeling fine at that point, although working hard. The second mile is tougher though with one or two slight drags and even though I wasn't losing much ground on those ahead I wasn't really gaining either. I did get a boost from the cheerleaders on the avenue, but couldn't muster up any sprint finish. If I'd known how close I was to the PB (I thought I was way off) I might have worked a bit harder but I was fairly close to being maxed out as it was. Happy with it all things considered. Good to see Nop before the race, over from the southside with Nop Jr for a match. Met Wubble Wubble afterwards too, on volunteering duty (so he said but he was very close the brack table :D).

Stats:
    13:19 official time
    4th in AG (but got prize for 3rd as 1st in AG was in Top 3)
    24th F of 250+
    1st Team
    Avg HR 165, Avg Cadence 189
    • 7.1 miles total (path)

Sunday - LSR

Volunteering duty at junior parkrun while BG Jr and some of her schoolmates ran. Got out soon after for my run. Up to St.Anne's, did 2 x 3 mile loops on the path/trail then back towards home for a total of 11 miles.
    • 11 miles @ 9:07 (path, trail)

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 33.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Hope 3rd prize was money and not another kettle:D well done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement