Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mum on the Run

1525354555658»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Thursday 18th February

Rest day. Spent a freezing afternoon in St. Anne’s park and playground.

Friday 19th February

Lunchtime Pilates and an easy short run in the late afternoon. Debating whether or not to do a 5k TT now that I’m at the end of the plan. I wanted to do it in Santry on the same route as TTs in Oct/Nov to measure improvement (hopefully!) but that park is a no go area for runners attempting anything more than a jog at the moment as it seems to be always packed and there tends to be a lot of loose dogs about too. I’d be conscious also of nervous walkers who wouldn’t appreciate the heavy breathing that comes with a TT. I might try to map out a route in the port where it’s unlikely I’d come across anyone.

3 miles @ 9:29 min/mile, average HR 134

Saturday 20th February

A soggy and windy run in the afternoon, but very enjoyable. Made the decision to run the 5k TT towards the end of next week. I’ll start a new base building plan then the following week.

4 miles @ 9:25 min/mile, average HR 128

Sunday 21st February

Pilates in the morning and long run mid-afternoon through Tolka Valley Park which was relatively peaceful and back via the canal which was mobbed. Usual mix of jumpy dogs off the lead and rogue cyclists. Went splat half a mile from home after tripping on the pavement. Morto but uninjured :o.

10 miles @ 9:12 min/mile, average HR 133

Week: 29 miles

Monday 22nd

Morning yoga (< 10 mins), lunchtime Pilates and a slow plod before dinner
    3 miles @ 9:41 min/mile, average HR 133

Tuesday 23rd

Early morning S&C class, to the backdrop of rain and wind howling. Sometimes it is good to be indoors!

I invented a mini session to do today in advance of the TT: 5 x 300m @ 5k pace with 1 min recovery. Made a complete bags of setting it up on the watch but the session was more or less over before I realised I’d programmed the rest time to repeat but not the actual reps :o. This is what happens when I try to work in metric :rolleyes:. So the reps were .19 mile, .14 mile, .14 mile, .20 mile – this was the point I realised it had all gone pear-shaped - and .19 mile to finish.

It was so windy anyway I don’t think it was ever going to be a useful session.
    Paces for what it’s worth were 6:51/7:19/7:16/7:39/7:23 min mile, so all over the place.

3.8 miles @ 9:45 min/mile, average HR 129

Wednesday 24th

Early morning S&C class to kick start the day. It was the last thing I felt like doing when the alarm went off but felt good after.

Recovery run later on just as it was getting dark.

3 miles @ 9:34 min/mile, average HR 128

Thursday 25th

Rest day. Just a few mins of yoga in the morning and an afternoon exploring the ‘hood with BJ Jr.

Friday 26th

Morning ‘pre-run’ yoga and then out for a run to take advantage of the amazing weather and a welcome day off work.

The plan was to get the 5K TT done in the Port, but in retrospect it was a really bad choice of route. The risks posed by dogs and muggles in parks are nothing compared to the trucks and blocked footpaths in Dublin Port. Beforehand I was confident of beating November’s TT time (23:56) and expected to be closer to 23:30 this time, but it wasn’t to be. Ended up with a disappointing 24:04. I think I more or less gave up when I saw the split for the first mile. Also had a sudden stop mid-run when it became all too clear that a truck wasn’t going to stop at a zebra crossing – sure enough he sped right through even though he had seen me :mad:. On the plus side, it was nice to run in shorts and t-shirt for a change !

Splits : 7:48, 7:41, 7:49 (7:17).

6.1 miles total

Saturday 27th February

Spectacular morning. Cycled out to the Bull Wall and it seems like everyone else had the same idea. Even at 10 a.m. the traffic was insane and the parking chaotic. Was supposed to run today but ran out of time.

Sunday 28th February

Long run along Griffith Ave, through Tolka Valley Park and back along the canal. Amazing weather and blue sky.

8 miles @ 9:08 min/mile, average HR 141.

Week: 23.9 miles

Month: 116.9 miles

Base building starts on Monday with a 9 week plan to build mileage and hopefully improve endurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah, missed the TT on strava. Would you not have another go? That's one of the great things about 5k - quick recovery (maybe one of the only great things.)

Agree that the port isn't a great spot for this sort of thing - can have long stretches into the wind too, as well as the issues you mention. And eight laps of the relatively good Terminal 10 block might be a bit too soul destroying.

Plenty of other options though!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ah, missed the TT on strava. Would you not have another go? That's one of the great things about 5k - quick recovery (maybe one of the only great things.)

Agree that the port isn't a great spot for this sort of thing - can have long stretches into the wind too, as well as the issues you mention. And eight laps of the relatively good Terminal 10 block might be a bit too soul destroying.

Plenty of other options though!

I'm going to start a base building plan so no room there for TTs or racing (phew!). It wasn't just the route choice though, I think I must be really lacking in endurance as I've no problem with the sessions but just can't seem to put it all together in a race. Given that I did a half marathon quicker than that pace a few years ago, I really should be doing better :o.

I'll pick your brain again for a decent 5k route that avoids all the hazards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I'm going to start a base building plan so no room there for TTs or racing (phew!). It wasn't just the route choice though, I think I must be really lacking in endurance as I've no problem with the sessions but just can't seem to put it all together in a race. Given that I did a half marathon quicker than that pace a few years ago, I really should be doing better :o.

I'll pick your brain again for a decent 5k route that avoids all the hazards!

Do you think you are being a bit hard on yourself perhaps. I say because i think 5k pain is a special type of pain. I always need to plan to do 2-3 5ks close together - or a couple of park runs in the buildup - just to reacquaint myself with the lovely 5k pain cave. And then there is the whole big issue that you were running it solo in a TT. I know some people can run amazing times in TTs but there's nothing like the pre-race nerves, the adrenaline at the start, picking people off as you go, the crowd support near the end, the sight of the finish line ahead... I bet you'd pull out a big performance in a proper race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Also, don't underestimate what the S & C classes take out of you. Well done!

ariana` wrote: »
    Do you think you are being a bit hard on yourself perhaps. I say because i think 5k pain is a special type of pain. I always need to plan to do 2-3 5ks close together - or a couple of park runs in the buildup - just to reacquaint myself with the lovely 5k pain cave. And then there is the whole big issue that you were running it solo in a TT. I know some people can run amazing times in TTs but there's nothing like the pre-race nerves, the adrenaline at the start, picking people off as you go, the crowd support near the end, the sight of the finish line ahead... I bet you'd pull out a big performance in a proper race.

Ah, thank you :o. And no doubt all those things are factors. I really miss parkrun where you can race and then go again the next week if/when it goes pear-shaped :D.

I suppose the reason I was disappointed was because the only recent times I have to compare it to were also solo TTs and I really expected to improve on the last one given that training had done well.

Appreciate the input ; I'm sure most of the running community are chomping at the bit for a race!

Also, don't underestimate what the S & C classes take out of you. Well done!

Aren't they supposed to make us faster though :pac::pac: ? Or our money back :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Aren't they supposed to make us faster though :pac::pac: ? Or our money back :P

Hmm, stronger yes, so ultimately faster but I'd say a week off on race week might be required!

You missed a brilliant class this morning and by brilliant I mean hard :D

Hmm, stronger yes, so ultimately faster but I'd say a week off on race week might be required!

You missed a brilliant class this morning and by brilliant I mean hard :D

That's a good point. In the good old days I'd always have taken pre-race prep quite seriously, easing off the S&C, tapering, staying off the vino etc. I haven't been giving the TTs the same sort of focus at all so no surprise I'm not getting the results I want!

• Advertisement

Pre-Base Building Week

This started off as Week 1 of my Base Building Schedule but I didn’t have time on Friday to get out for a planned 7 miler so that was the end of that. I’ll try again next week.

Monday 1st March

Morning Yoga (5 mins!), lunchtime Pilates and a recovery run in the early evening. Oh, and an afternoon ramble with BG Jr.

4 miles @ 9:29 min/mile, average HR 129 (grass, trail, tarmac, concrete)

Tuesday 2nd March

Early morning S&C class with plenty of core, leg and arm work.

Medium long easy run in the late afternoon taking in Griffith Avenue, Tolka Valley Park and the canal.

7 miles @ 9:12 min/mile, average HR 138 (concrete, tarmac)

Wednesday 3rd March

Early morning S&C class. Was supposed to run today but got a call from a now retired former colleague and the window of opportunity was gone when I got off the phone 90 minutes later!

Thursday 4th March

Easy run on a local loop.

4 miles @ 9:32 min/mile, average HR 127 (grass, trail, tarmac, concrete)

Friday 5th March

Just Pilates today. Too tired to get up for early S&C class and then couldn’t run as it was too late by the time the lesser parent had finished work :rolleyes:.

Saturday 6th March

Short run in the local park. HR went a bit wonky on the watch and has me doing the first mile at 170+ :eek: but it was an easy run.

3 miles @ 9:25 min/mile, average HR 145 (grass, tarmac, concrete)

Sunday 7th March

Pilates followed by LSR. Didn’t fancy the canal today so route was an out and back along Griffith Ave and through Tolka Valley Park.

10 miles @ 9:10 min/mile, average HR 137 (tarmac, concrete)

Week: 28 miles

Monday 8th

Short yoga session first thing then a scheduled physio appointment at lunchtime to ease out my back. Prevention is a whole lot easier than cure so getting in early with some prehab! Easy cycle with BG Jr in the afternoon up and back to the playground at Albo. Recovery run later in the local park.

4 miles @ 9:35 min/mile, average HR 128 (grass, tarmac, concrete)

Tuesday 9th

Early S&C class which was mostly core work. Ramble in the park during the afternoon while BG Jr was on a socially distanced skate date (it’s a thing, who knew?) with a pal.

Easy run later on. HRM wonky again, showing an average HR of 190!

7 miles @ 9:31 min/mile, average HR 190 (:pac::pac:), (grass/trail, concrete, tarmac)

Wednesday 10th

Early S&C, similar to yesterday focusing on core again.

Got out for a run during the afternoon while there was a break in the rain but it was windy and warm, so this felt more like a plod than an easy run.

4 miles @ 9:44 min/mile, average HR 136 (grass, concrete, tarmac, trail)

Thursday 11th

Rest day. 10 mins of yoga before work and a short walk with BJ Jr in the afternoon between hail showers.

Friday 12th

Early morning S&C / HIIT / Plyo class. Whatever it was there were lots of lunge
    and squat variations. Pilates at lunchtime. Made it out for a run this week even if it was a bit later than I’d like. Once BG Jr’s back in school (Monday cannot come soon enough !!) I’ll have a window for running around lunchtime which will make a big difference. Ran a loop along the coast, down the main avenue in St. Anne’s and back via the Howth Road. Cold and a bit damp. HRM still not quite right as a portion of this run showed as being in the 180’s.

7 miles @ 9:32 min/mile, average HR 141 (concrete, grass, tarmac)

Saturday 13th

Oh the doms !! Curse those squats and lunges !!

A Nursing Home Special, as TbL would say, around the local park. HR nice and low simply because I couldn’t haul my poor body around any faster .

3 miles @ 10:18 min/mile, average HR 119 (grass/trail)

Sunday 14th

Massive breakfast in bed followed by Pilates and then a long slow run. Wind and (fading) Doms made this less enjoyable than it should have been but it’s done and I’ve made it to the end of Week 1 on target.

HRM was giving silly numbers again, so gave it a clean and did a hard reset. Hopefully that’ll do the trick as I’ll probably have to wait for my birthday to get a replacement.

10 miles @ 9:37 min/mile, average HR 90 (:pac::pac:) (tarmac, concrete)

Week: 35 miles

Is the HRM a strap or watch sensor? It's very annoying alright when they refuse to work. I'm finding the current chest strap much more reliable than previous versions.

Is the HRM a strap or watch sensor? It's very annoying alright when they refuse to work. I'm finding the current chest strap much more reliable than previous versions.

It's the watch sensor (Garmin FR 235). Not a fan of chest straps at all so happy with this one generally. I've done the hard reset now so fingers crossed. TBH I don't pay any attention to the HR while I'm running so it's not a huge inconvenience.

15th – 28th March

Both the watch and myself got a hard reset in the last 2 weeks :pac::pac:. I was in a heap with my back so decided to take a complete break from running. Booked a physio appointment and did nothing the first week bar a couple of Pilates classes. Didn’t enjoy them much as felt like I wasn’t moving properly. Felt much better towards the end of the week after all the rest and by the time the physio appointment rolled around I was fine, but went nonetheless and got loosened up.

Monday evening found out that there was a positive case in BG Jr’s class . So after returning to school for a grand total of 5 days the entire class is back out again :eek:. Didn’t even attempt to homeschool this time and just left her to her own devices (literally ;)) while I was at work. Of course work has never been busier :eek:. Couldn’t get out for runs as I’d normally go after work when she’s in school. Or negotiate with Mr. Bungy but he's up to his eyeballs as well. And now it’s the Easter holidays ……. and she’s still on restricted movement until the 2nd test comes back negative (the 1st was negative – phew!).

All in all a challenging couple of weeks. I’m going to be short on time for the next 2 weeks for sure and after that it will depend on whether the schools reopen so I’ve abandoned the base building for now and have chosen a low mileage 5k plan from the NYRR website.

NYRR 5K Plan – Week 1

Finally, some consistent running to report! The previous few weeks had not been conducive to running between one thing and another but hopefully things will go a bit more smoothly from now on. I started a new 12 week 5k programme which I downloaded from the New York Road Runners website. The mileage is moderate and there’s a good bit of variety in terms of pace, but it’s all measured by RPE which suits me as I don’t really pay attention to the watch while running if I can help it. There’s also a couple of time trials which might push me out of my laziness comfort zone.

Monday 5th

Easy run on my default grass/trail local loop which is conveniently exactly 1 mile and generally quiet.

3 miles @ 9:43, average HR 131

Tuesday 6th

Speeds! The plan includes drills and strides for session days, something I had been neglecting, so it’s good to get back in to the habit of doing these.

6 x 400m with 200m jog recoveries all done on grass and pace ranged from 7:07 min/mile on the first one (exuberance!) to 7:30 - 7:40 min/mile for the rest which is about current 5k pace or slightly faster.

Tired after this – was a shock to the system :eek:.

5 miles @ 9:53 min mile, average HR 141

Wednesday 7th

Short easy run, accompanied by BG Jr on her bike.

2 miles @ 9:48 min mile, average HR 121

Thursday 8th

Only realised afterwards that I should have included drills & strides, oops. Target effort for the tempo section was 6.5-7 out of 10 RPE and these ended up as fairly even splits of 8:48/8:41/8:41 on the grass/trail loop.

5 miles incl. 3 tempo @ 9:12 min mile, average HR 144

Friday 9th

Rest day. Just an online Pilates class and a bit of a walk.

Saturday 10th

Short run including drills and 4 x 100m strides with 100m jog recoveries on grass. A blink and you miss it run.

3.2 miles @ 10:14 min/mile, average HR 137

Sunday 11th

A not so long LSR. I think the long run peaks at about 8 miles on this plan. Tried to run a good bit of this off road so included the park, the trail along the coast and the new greenway section from Docklands to North Strand. Got stopped by a vigilant security guard at East Point who eventually waved me through on the condition that I exit at the far side :confused:.

5 miles @ 9:25 min/mile, average HR 140

WEEKLY TOTAL: 23.2 miles

The local security WhatsApp groups must be launching a runner aggravation campaign. ;)

The local security WhatsApp groups must be launching a runner aggravation campaign. ;)

Yes, indeed, it's a conspiracy :D!

NYRR 5K Plan – Week 2

Another week completed according to plan ! If this keeps up I might actually see some improvement :o.

Monday 12th

School’s back, not sure who was more excited about that this morning….

Easy run. Should have been 3 miles but stopped at the bakery on the way home for a freshly baked croissant and walked the rest :D.

Lunchtime Pilates, then back out on the bike for the school run.

2.7 miles @ 9:37, average HR 133

Tuesday 13th

4 x 600m on grass after some drills and strides. Paces were reasonably consistent: 7:26/7:43/7:33/7:33 min/mile. Jogged the 400m recoveries.

5.2 miles @9:30 min/mile, average HR 143

Wednesday 14th

Pilates and an easy 2.

2 miles @ 9:18 min/mile, average HR 133

Thursday 15th

Enjoyed Murph’s company for the first mile or so and slowed him down dramatically :o.

Drills and strides before a 3 mile tempo with the splits coming in at 8:39/8:34/8:33 min/mile, so a bit quicker than last week for the same effort.

Easy jog home.

5.5 miles @ 9:30 min/mile, average HR 146

Friday 16th

Rest day, just Pilates and a wander in St. Anne’s in the afternoon.

Saturday 17th

Short run including drills and strides (on grass). The strides are 100m with 100m recovery. Pretty sure I’m doing them too fast but it’s hard to rein it in when they’re so short.

3.2 miles @10:10 min/mile, average HR 140

Sunday 18th

Local run (I think I’ve been deeply and irrevocably conditioned to stay within my 5k zone :eek:) with a Murph-inspired diversion into the nearby golf club for a change of scenery. Enjoyed the peace and quiet of the 2 mile loop and withstood a couple of frosty stares of disapproval from members :D. Was ready to seek forgiveness at any point but wasn’t challenged. Elevated HR probably the result of this transgression :pac::pac:

5 miles @ 9:14 min/mile, average HR 146

Week: 23.6 miles

Definitely not slowing me down. And heroic work on the golf raid!

• Advertisement

NYRR 5K Plan – Week 3

I’m really enjoying this plan. I think having more workouts and less mileage suits me. The body is definitely less creaky and I suspect my running form is better when I’m not plodding so much.

Monday 19th

Easy run on my go-to local loop and lunchtime Pilates.

3 miles @ 9:35 min/mile, average HR 139

Tuesday 20th

Busy day and no chance to get a run in so the plan just shifted forward by one day.

Wednesday 21st

Early Pilates class, then 5 x 400m hill repeats with jog back recoveries. Also did some drills and strides, attracting some bemused glances on Griffith Ave. Target for the hill reps was 5k pace and I suppose they were – on average.
    (7:28/7:43/7:30/7:44/7:43)

5.2 miles @ 10:06 min/mile, average HR 144

Thursday 22nd

Made the most of today’s amazing weather with a trip to Howth. Don’t think I’ve been out here in over a year! Followed the Green loop for a warm-up ramble (approx. 4 miles) then did a short out and back run along the cliff path. Stunning views and generally quiet, although it was getting busier as I was leaving.

2 miles @ 9:48 min/mile, average HR 139

Friday 23rd

2 mile Tempo on the trail loop after drills and strides. Enjoyed this although it was almost a car crash as I had the wrong pace in my head and thought I was aiming for 7:35 min/mile pace instead of 8:35 min/mile :o Realised after about 600m that I was in the wrong session and was able to salvage it for respectable 8:25 and 8:24 splits at an average HR of 153.

Lunchtime Pilates with half an eye on the live European Gymnastics Champs where Ireland’s Emma Slevin was making history by being the first Irish woman to qualify for the finals. Amazing performances from her to finish in the top 20 in Europe.

4.5 miles @ 9:25 min/mile, average HR 140

Saturday 24th

Another stunning day. Short run including drills and strides. Paces for the strides varied hugely but I suppose the terrain and the elevation did too. Still doing them too fast, d’oh.

3.5 miles @ 9:47 min/mile, average HR 136

Sunday 25th

Long run at lunchtime, having got up early to bring BG Jr for a walk along the cliffs at Howth. Even at 9am it was busy and by the time we were leaving around 10:30am it was mobbed :eek:.

Had enough of crowds/people by then so ran to and around the port for my run and barely saw another person.

6 miles @ 9:05 min/mile, average HR 140

Week: 24.2 miles

Can you do strides too fast? Wasn’t aware of this - not that it’s ever been something I’ve had to worry about! As in, as long as you’re thinking of form, maybe any speedy pace is OK?

Can you do strides too fast? Wasn’t aware of this - not that it’s ever been something I’ve had to worry about! As in, as long as you’re thinking of form, maybe any speedy pace is OK?

Yeah I aspire to fast, flowing, relaxed gazelle-like strides :o:o, but generally end up straining too hard I think and then the form disintegrates. So I'll try to focus more on form and see does that help. Thanks!

NYRR 5K Plan – Week 4

Monday 26th

Easy 3 on a slight variation of the local loop. Very warm out!

3 miles @ 9:25 min/mile, average HR 139

Tuesday 27th

Supposed to be speeds today but we all slept it out this morning and I was on the back foot all day trying to catch up. Did get to play tennis though :D.

Wednesday 28th

Yesterday’s speeds: 4 x 600m (300m jog rec) and 4 x 300m (200m jog rec) on grass, with drills and strides beforehand. Tough in parts due to the wind but managed the 600s in approx. 5k pace (7:37, 7:33, 7:37, 7:33) with the 300s a bit faster (7:14, 7:18, 7:26, 7:24).

5.5 miles @ 9:21 min/mile, average HR 144

Thursday 29th

A hike along part of the Red Loop in Howth including some paths I hadn’t been on before. Spectacular views! Finished with an out and back jog along the upper cliff path.

2 miles @ 10:05 min/mile, average HR 131

Friday 30th

3 miles tempo on the usual circuit after drills and strides. I’m hoping that by training on this loop which is mixed terrain and has a bit of a climb that the actual pace will seem easier when I (eventually) do a race on the road or tarmac. That’s the plan anyway. Today’s tempo splits were 8:24, 8:21, 8:17 at average HR 157. Last mile was tough so possibly a bit fast for tempo, but the average has got faster over the last few weeks for more or less the same effort, yay :D.

5.8 miles @ 9:11 min/mile, average HR 144

April: 90.3 miles

Saturday 1st

In Alsaa this afternoon as BG Jr’s outdoor activities kick off again, happy days! A short session of 4 x 200m with 200m jog rec after some drills and strides. The track was busy enough but not crowded. Paces (which can be taken with a pinch of salt on the track I think), came in at 6:05, 6:25, 6:20, 6:23.

3.4 miles @ 9:21 min/mile, average HR 136

Sunday 2nd

Didn’t get to run today. Spent the morning zip-lining :cool: and then played a tennis match in the afternoon.

Week: 19.7 miles

A belated update. Couldn’t remember any of it so scrolled back through Garmin to jog the memory (how I know I am getting old, part 56 :o).

Monday 3rd

Easy run on the inside perimeter of St. Anne’s which is mainly grass/trail with a bit of tarmac. It rained down like the apocalypse which was grand because only the truly dedicated were out and it was nice and quiet.

4 miles @ 9:14, average HR 134

Tuesday 4th

This was a session I’ve never done before. Warm up etc. then a mile at faster than tempo, 800m jog and then another mile faster than the previous one but not eyeballs out. Splits came in at 8:09 and 7:54 which I was happy with as the loop is grass/trail/tarmac with a bit of a climb.

5.2 miles @ 9:37, average HR 143

Wednesday 5th

Pilates followed by an easy short run, mainly off road.

3 miles @ 9:53, average HR 138

Thursday 6th

No running but did play tennis.

Friday 7th

Tempo run (3 miles) on the usual loop with splits of 8:22, 8:24 and 8:13. HR is creeping up a little on these tempos so I need to keep an eye on the effort levels.

Lunchtime Pilates.

5.3 miles @ 9:22, average HR 145

Saturday 8th

Strides with equal recoveries. Paces all over the place, mainly due to mixed terrain and elevation I’d say.

2.9 miles @ 9:22, average HR 137

Sunday 9th

First long-ish run in a while. Really enjoyed this out and back along the canal. Bumped into aquinn as an added bonus while she was on her Wings for Life run.

7 miles @ 9:09, average HR 139

Week: 27.4 miles

Competitive tennis? Is it a good workout?

Advertisement