Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

:) + :rolleyes:
    35:06 by my watch. No official chip times yet but it's asking for a miracle to claw 7 seconds back. So so happy with this time though. It's a massive PB and I know I can go sub 35 now which is something I wouldn't have ever thought possible. Have sent Mr.B off to buy wine (it was going to be bubbles if I broke 35 but after 25 days off the vino I'd say I'll be asleep after a glass)

Report to follow. Can't wait to hear how y'all got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    35:06 by my watch. No official chip times yet but it's asking for a miracle to claw 7 seconds back. So so happy with this time though. It's a massive PB and I know I can go sub 35 now which is something I wouldn't have ever thought possible. Have sent Mr.B off to buy wine (it was going to be bubbles if I broke 35 but after 25 days off the vino I'd say I'll be asleep after a glass)

Wow! Fantastic time! Sub 35 is a given for the next one! Congrats and enjoy the pb wine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

wow that's a fantastic time Bungy! Well bloomin done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Ouch on the 6secs. A brilliant time though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brilliant running BG :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Tough luck on the 7 seconds, I'm sure it feels like a kick in the manly proverbials. Well done on the PB though and I'm sure you'll nail it next time, especially with the benefit of extra training under your belt. Enjoy the wine! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hey, so near....any official time yet? But huuuuge congratulations on the PB BG !! Hope you're well into that well-earned bottle :D and not sleeping yet. Really sorry I missed you, it was pretty jammers everywhere afterwards. We'll definitely have to arrange something more concrete at the next one.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hey, so near....any official time yet? But huuuuge congratulations on the PB BG !! Hope you're well into that well-earned bottle :D and not sleeping yet. Really sorry I missed you, it was pretty jammers everywhere afterwards. We'll definitely have to arrange something more concrete at the next one.

On my second glass (hic!). Official chip time (there's a link to the results on the event thread) is...........

35:06, lol :)

Some lessons learned but I couldn't be happier really. Deffo see you at the next one. Thinking Dunboyne 4, K-Club 10K and then the Terenure 5 mile if you're up for any of those ?

Well done you on a fab time. Go get your name on that table!

And double hic from me. Having a chat with the club schedulers this week, will drop these into the chat :D Hehe well done for being awake still! Looking forward to your race report, lessons to be learned strikes a chord with me too from today. Tomorrow.....no report writing tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well done, super stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Well done BG, super time, dont worry about the 6 sec's, hope the wine went down well!!

PB 35:06 (6:52, 6:57, 6:57, 7:03, 7:17)

I suppose I should be slightly disappointed with this but I’m actually surprised and delighted with a PB and to have got this close to a sub 35. Now I know I can do it and hopefully I’ll make the grade at the Terenure 5 Mile in May.

I had an early start on Sunday with a call for MommmmmmmmmmmmY at 06:xx when she informed me she was full of ‘energy up to her ears’. No chance of a snooze then :rolleyes: I thought I’d get some foam rolling done if I put on Cbeebies but no, the roller was appropriated for a pirate game as a plank for all her toys to walk off...

One breakfast and two lunches later (never know how to time meals for this race) and it’s time to go. Felt very sluggish on the warm up and didn’t even feel like doing strides but threw a few in anyway. I think it’s just nerves but I never feel good before a big race.

I met a friend and lined up. In retrospect we were too far back (22 seconds to get to the mat). It’s difficult to judge and as other people have pointed out in their reports there will always be people starting too far up the field for their ability. I ran the first mile a bit too fast and with all the zig zagging I’d say the pace was even faster than the recorded split. Miles 2 and 3 were grand, I felt good and the pace was bang on. I’ve no Garmin, just a stopwatch, so have to rely on feel between the mile markers. Once we hit the coast road things started to unravel a little. I was feeling the fast first mile in my legs and was also running more or less on my own having lost the group I was hanging on to. Turned the corner and up that blasted hill to the 4 mile marker (a new 4 mile PB, yay!) and I was still on target but the body was starting to crumble. There was so much fantastic support and that kept me going but all I wanted to do was stop running. I’m so glad I’m pig-headed or I’d never finish a race, lol. I could feel the pace slipping but still hoped there were enough seconds in the bank to make it even with a slow last mile. About 200m to go I realised there was a slight chance if I legged it. Gave it absolutely everything in a sprint finish but it wasn’t enough.

It’s gas, if I hadn’t committed to the Ten Round Numbers Table, I wouldn’t have set my sights this high and probably have come in a lot closer to 36 minutes and been perfectly happy about it. So aim high, peeps!

Had to rush off home as had (running) guests coming over for tea. It was PB central around the table, everyone delighted with their times.
      5 miles + 15 mins w/up + 4 strides (half-hearted it must be said ) and approx. 5 mins cool down (was in a rush to get home!)

Plan for the week ahead is a complete break from running for 4-5 days to give the body a rest. I’ll keep ticking over with some S&C, stretching and walking. Then a 5K time trial (parkrun) on Saturday to see where I am before starting the 5K specific training next week. I’ve picked the Tallaght AC 5K on the May Bank Holiday as the goal race so the next 3 months will be focussed on that. Not 100% sure of the target yet but I would like to go sub 21 (on an accurate course so I can count it without reservation!)

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 20

Great report...so tantalisingly close but I totally agree with you about aiming high. Years ago (decades actually, but it has always stayed with me), I read a lovely piece of advice by the father of the 'golden girl of British athletics', Lillian Board: in an interview he stated that he always set their targets ( he was her coach also) 'higher than the moon so at least if they fell short, they still landed on the moon'...
    Well done and fwiw, I think you should aim sub 20:30. You've already come close in the FT 10k, so you know you have the strength and leg speed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done BG. Very well paced. Looks like you just got a bit tired towards the end and going up the hill. I'd say you'll be fairly close to sub 34 in Terenure :D

Well done and fwiw, I think you should aim sub 20:30. You've already come close in the FT 10k, so you know you have the strength and leg speed :)

Thanks Dubgal. I've just ran the numbers by McMillan, vDot and Co. and based on Raheny they give me somewhere between 21:10 and 21:28 for 5K. So I'm thinking even sub 21 might be aiming above the moon :D But I've never trained specifically for 5K before so I might revise the target depending on how things go over the next while. Main thing, as always, will be to stay in one piece so no slacking off the S&C for me!

Thanks Dubgal. I've just ran the numbers by McMillan, vDot and Co. and based on Raheny they give me somewhere between 21:10 and 21:28 for 5K. So I'm thinking even sub 21 might be aiming above the moon :D But I've never trained specifically for 5K before so I might revise the target depending on how things go over the next while. Main thing, as always, will be to stay in one piece so no slacking off the S&C for me!
    Hmmm, I recommend you tell the nice Mr McMillan et al to prepare to be proven wrong. Your PB is already 21:05! With specific training for 5k, you will definitely nail it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 yantz

This is a great log!

Well done BG. Very well paced. Looks like you just got a bit tired towards the end and going up the hill. I'd say you'll be fairly close to sub 34 in Terenure :D

Thanks CM. That pesky hill! Not sure if you know the course but it's actually a fairly puny hill taken out of context :o. I was at my absolute limit by then so I think even a speed bump would have defeated me :rolleyes:
    I believe they have sub 35 pacers in Terenure - and no hills. 34:59 would do me nicely :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

You're gas with your entertaining guests afterwards... I didn't even cook dinner for us four...we got a take away :o. That's really bad isn't it? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Thanks CM. That pesky hill! Not sure if you know the course but it's actually a fairly puny hill taken out of context :o. I was at my absolute limit by then so I think even a speed bump would have defeated me :rolleyes:
    I believe they have sub 35 pacers in Terenure - and no hills. 34:59 would do me nicely :pac::pac:
    Ha I know all about the last two miles in Raheny from bitter experience :D

• Advertisement

You're gas with your entertaining guests afterwards... I didn't even cook dinner for us four...we got a take away :o. That's really bad isn't it? :o

No, that sounds about right - you can't bask in PB glory and cook at the same time :D I only served tea and biscuits, no hostess of the year award for me.

I had the idea this year to give myself breaks from running before they are forced upon me to see if that helps avoid injury as I have tended to literally run myself into the ground in the past. So running and any other high impact exercise is banned for the next 4-5 days and hopefully that’ll see me refreshed and ready for the next training phase which will be focussed on improving my 5K time.

So tonight consisted of walk, Pilates (I got promoted to the next level, yay!, but that will require some schedule juggling as the new class is on a different day), walk, gym, Body Balance, walk. I do not like to walk, it makes me fidgety :(. It’s going to be a tough few days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done on Sunday, BG!!! great result and even better to come :)

annapr wrote: »
    Well done on Sunday, BG!!! great result and even better to come :)

Thanks a million Anna, still buzzing! And eating my way through the goody bag. Have you any races coming up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Thanks a million Anna, still buzzing! And eating my way through the goody bag. Have you any races coming up ?

You've earned that goody bag!! Would have done Raheny but was away for the weekend, thinking about the Bundoran 10 mile in March (close to 'home'). But need to get my ass in gear and get some proper training done.

annapr wrote: »
    You've earned that goody bag!! Would have done Raheny but was away for the weekend, thinking about the Bundoran 10 mile in March (close to 'home'). But need to get my ass in gear and get some proper training done.

Fair play, 10 miles still a bridge too far for me :o

This is hard. I hate not running. Even when it’s not enforced and entirely voluntary. Especially when it’s not enforced and entirely voluntary. I haven’t even been for a decent walk, just the usual crèche/work/crèche/home routine which wouldn’t even add up to 30 minutes. To cheer myself up I signed up for the Terenure 5 mile in May. 15 weeks to improve by 6 seconds. I couldn’t think of a witty slogan for my race number and my name has more than the maximum 8 characters allowed, d’oh.

Tuesday
    Zero exercise (unless chasing after a kamikaze 3 year old on a balance bike counts)

Wednesday
    Bodyweight exercises in front of the TV. Yawn!

One more day of this self-inflicted rest and then I’ll be back in action. Just as well because I’ve been eating non-stop since Sunday :eek:

I feel for you!! It's a major motivation though isn't it, keeping yourself in one piece so you can run. The past year of getting back running has been so amazing and I am enjoying it so much I would be devastated if I had to have any long-term lay off. So I completely understand your short term lay off for the long term gain :) What was that injury that had you off and for how long?

I feel for you!! It's a major motivation though isn't it, keeping yourself in one piece so you can run. The past year of getting back running has been so amazing and I am enjoying it so much I would be devastated if I had to have any long-term lay off. So I completely understand your short term lay off for the long term gain :)

Thanks Dubgal, I really have nothing to complain about and I honestly feel lucky every day that I wake up pain-free. The voluntary lay-offs are an experiment and part of the whole being more sensible process.
    What was that injury that had you off and for how long?

Ha, you'll be sorry you asked. My injuries deserve a log of their own :rolleyes: Short answer is a slipped disc which had me off for 5 months but it was a blessing in disguise as it uncovered some older issues which were then fixed and I came out of the whole thing feeling balanced for the first time :D I hadn't actually realised before then that it wasn't the norm to be sore after every run!

• Advertisement

Ouch! How long ago was this and have you had any problems since? I really admire your approach to injury prevention. Yourself and Ososlo are shining examples :)

Advertisement