Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Meet & Train XC Race Swords 8.2.15

Turns out the speedies were in Tuam (or otherwise occupied) this morning :D There was a lower than usual turnout for this league race (maybe 80 runners vs. 120-140 in recent races) so points wise it was always going to be a good one for our team. The course is flat with a nice section through the trees by the river and it wasn’t mucky (much). I was testing my new spikes for the first time too (a bit reluctant to get them mucky because they are soooooh pretty) and have to say they are the business (Brooks Mach, very very pink and super light). I lined up in the front row with the aim of getting into the top 15 or so and trying to hold position. Very surprised to find myself in the top 5 :eek: and was half way round the first lap before a couple of girls passed me. Still felt absolutely fine but didn’t trust myself to be that far up in a race and was convinced I must have been overcooking it even though I felt fine and fairly relaxed. I kept on expecting a stampede from behind but it never came and with about half a lap to go I overtook those same two girls and still felt strong. Not strong enough to catch anyone ahead of me as the gap was too big. But managed to finish in 5th. Me! Can’t believe it. I know the field was depleted but STILL! I’m so happy with this result. Team did great and we were all delighted with ourselves.

I love XC racing but always worry that it might be counterproductive doing so many races but I think because they’re so short it doesn’t have the same impact as racing say 5Ks or 10Ks every week on the road, and you recover fairly quickly from a 2 miler. So, first week of the new training programme completed and I really like it. It’s more ‘work’ than I’m used to but so long as I can keep injuries at bay I think it’ll allow me build up the mileage slowly while keeping a bit of sharpness for the shorter stuff.

Now, to see about the MAIN event of the weekend and see how the horses got on in Enniscorthy!
      2 miles XC + .75 mile w/up + .75 mile c/d

TOTAL WEEKLY MILES: 27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Absolutely frickin delighted for you! Well done! Now give that confidence a kick up the a&se and tell yourself you deserve to be up there (I preach, not practice ;) ) :D

Thanks a million Dubgal, it must've been the shoes ;). I've no idea if I actually ran well or if it was just the usual suspects weren't there but I'll take it :D. Massive congrats to you on your PB. I doubt McMillan factors in hills and freezing temps into his calculations so well done, I'd say you weren't far off anyway ? Looking forward to reading your report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Nice one ladies, good day out for you both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great to read this BG! That's a great placing and sounds like you enjoyed it too. Lovely report. Looking forward to reading all about your new training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done BG!!!! Sounds like you really enjoyed it too.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great to read this BG! That's a great placing and sounds like you enjoyed it too. Lovely report. Looking forward to reading all about your new training.

Thanks Ososlo, I loved every minute of it and - of course - now that it's over I'm scolding myself for not getting closer to 4th!

annapr wrote: »
    Well done BG!!!! Sounds like you really enjoyed it too.

I did! Which is very strange. Normally it's torture and you only get the endorphins afterwards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Well done BG, brilliant running finishing 5th, just wow!!! Many congrats :-)

Mimojo wrote: »
    Well done BG, brilliant running finishing 5th, just wow!!! Many congrats :-)

Thanks so much Mimojo, still on a high :)

• Advertisement

Monday: Rest

Zip. Nada. Null points.

Tuesday: 5K effort repeats

Hmmmm, I suspect I could have done better this morning. I might have to repeat this session next week instead of moving up to the 5 x 3 minutes. Although I was half thinking of doing a mile race on the track in Alsaa next Tuesday evening instead. Decisions, decisions. I just felt this morning I could have given it a bit more welly – 3 minutes is a lot of recovery. I also covered less ground overall than the 10 x 1 minute session last week in the same timeframe (43 mins). I guess last week I didn’t have a race still in the legs so maybe that’s something got to do with it. Oh well, it’s a learning curve, no point in doing all this stuff and not trying to improve on it.
      4.8 miles incl 5 x 2 mins @ 5K effort (3 mins rec) (43:00)

Strength & Conditioning day. Glad that’s over. The extra difficulty in Pilates plus the additional set in the gym is making this a tough evening. By the time I get home it’s 10 o’clock and there’s no chance of making it an early night because I’m wired :pac::pac::pac:

Pilates was tough. The new class moves at a much quicker pace so there’s a lot more exercises packed in and less of the frilly stuff. Then I hit the gym and did this routine which is comprised of various exercises I’ve learned or been given over the years to cure or prevent certain injuries. I use puny weights or body weight, I am a weakling :o:o. I stick to these because, fingers crossed, they seem to work but I need to investigate some new ones I think, glutes and hips definitely need more work. Any and all suggestions welcome!

2 sets (Biceps curls x 12, Lateral raises x 12, Tricep kickback x 12, Side lying hip raises x 12)
    2 sets (Superman x 12, Press Up knees/full x 9/3, Plank 50 secs, Side Plank 30 secs, Oblique crunches x 12)
    2 sets (Lat Pulldown x 12, Seated Row x 12)
    2 sets (Rollups x 12, Bridge x 12, Back Extension x 12)

Glute stretching and foam rolling concluded the gym bit. Body Balance class next which was grand, didn’t kill myself on the harder sections and got some nice stretching in. Followed by a recovery run home. Pesky water meter installations all over the place which made it a bit hairy in the dark.
      2.5 miles recovery (24:15)

That is some serious strength work, puny weakling or no :D
    Just looking at your previous session, fwiw if it was me, I wouldn't stress too much comparing. The tendency would be to take the shorter reps at a faster pace so that could be why you didn't cover as much ground. Plus, you nay have been having a down day. Drop in to the graduate thread, Clearlier will give you great advice re next week's session/mile race.

Thanks Dubgal. Wise words. I think I just underestimated the 3 mins recovery and was a bit easy on myself!

If I go in to the Graduates thread will they laugh and point because I'm not a real graduate? Will I ever come out again ? And most importantly will I be told not to do the mile ;-) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Thanks Dubgal. Wise words. I think I just underestimated the 3 mins recovery and was a bit easy on myself!

If I go in to the Graduates thread will they laugh and point because I'm not a real graduate? Will I ever come out again ? And most importantly will I be told not to do the mile ;-) ??

I was hanging out there a little bit (not so much lately 'cos I'm in careful mode & not doing sessions), Clearlier even gave me a bit of feedback on a future marathon plan. In my case I didn't even get to the start of DCM (injury 4 weeks out) so I think the door would be open for you :)

+1 to Hilly :) No one will laugh at you, you'll be let out again (well, if you know the secret code :D ) and I very much doubt Clearlier will tell you what to do, he will most likely present the advantages and disadvantages of each choice. It sounds like you really want to do the mile so make sure you let him know that is the preferred option!

I was hanging out there a little bit (not so much lately 'cos I'm in careful mode & not doing sessions), Clearlier even gave me a bit of feedback on a future marathon plan. In my case I didn't even get to the start of DCM (injury 4 weeks out) so I think the door would be open for you :)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    +1 to Hilly :) No one will laugh at you, you'll be let out again (well, if you know the secret code :D ) and I very much doubt Clearlier will tell you what to do, he will most likely present the advantages and disadvantages of each choice. It sounds like you really want to do the mile so make sure you let him know that is the preferred option!

Thanks girls. Ok, I'm going in. If I'm not out in a couple of days or if I start talking about DCM 2015 alert the authorities.

Hill Sprints today. Did 6 of these on 'Fairview Mountain'. I might start alternating these each week with some drills once I get to 8 reps. I've never really done drills so it's about time I started. Annapr maybe you can join me on these and we can get a rep for ourselves as the Crazy Drill Ladies of Fairview or some such moniker ;) ?

Feeling a bit bleurgh now as I think I've finally caught the cold/man flu that has been in our house for the last week. Probably nothing a decent sleep won't cure so I'll aim for an early night tonight to hopefully nip it in the bud.
    • 2.5 miles approx running incl 6 x 8-10 sec hill sprints off 3 mins rec

Hill Sprints today. Did 6 of these on 'Fairview Mountain'. I might start alternating these each week with some drills once I get to 8 reps. I've never really done drills so it's about time I started. Annapr maybe you can join me on these and we can get a rep for ourselves as the Crazy Drill Ladies of Fairview or some such moniker ;) ?

Feeling a bit bleurgh now as I think I've finally caught the cold/man flu that has been in our house for the last week. Probably nothing a decent sleep won't cure so I'll aim for an early night tonight to hopefully nip it in the bud.
    • 2.5 miles approx running incl 6 x 8-10 sec hill sprints off 3 mins rec
    http://youtu.be/EhzzpZVMtl4 These are warm up drills recommended by Clearlier, is that what you meant? You can incorporate them straight away (not all, start with four or five)...they don't use up energy, promise, in fact they really boost and open up your system, ready for the pain you are about to inflict on your body :)

Bad luck about the lurgy, definitely early night for you young lady :)

And just to show James there are no hard feelings, I came across these too when getting that link for you :D

http://youtu.be/OgpMyuILYFg

• Advertisement

How you feeling BG? Hope that lurgy hasn't taken hold :(

How you feeling BG? Hope that lurgy hasn't taken hold :(
    Thanks Dubgal, but it got me. It got me good :(

Spent the morning in bed yesterday (I can remember the last time that happened which was never :rolleyes:) and got a lie-on this morning so think it's on the way out. Had to miss the BHAA xc and will probably give the Mile a miss now too. Need to be tip top for the final race of the XC league on Sunday week as team pride at stake!

How's prep for Ballycotton going? Only ever did that race once. Would love another crack at it, such a fab location.

Aw, shame but y'know the complete rest yesterday and lie-in this morning will speed it on its way. We were talking about that on our lsr this morning, how mammies never/rarely get the 'two day lie on the sofa sickness crash', instead we plough on...and the lurgy lingers on at a low level. So hopefully that will have you "all better" :D soon.
    Prep going well thanks, gorgeous lsr this morning, incorporating a bit of trail running and two long, fierce gradient hills. Looks like the mid-week cobwebs have been blown away for me, happy days.
    Take it easy now y'hear?! *wags finger* :)

Aw, shame but y'know the complete rest yesterday and lie-in this morning will speed it on its way. We were talking about that on our lsr this morning, how mammies never/rarely get the 'two day lie on the sofa sickness crash', instead we plough on...and the lurgy lingers on at a low level. So hopefully that will have you "all better" :D soon.
    Prep going well thanks, gorgeous lsr this morning, incorporating a bit of trail running and two long, fierce gradient hills. Looks like the mid-week cobwebs have been blown away for me, happy days.

Are you suggesting Dads get to lie in more??? Shocked at the thought. ;)

Hope you feel better soon, BG

Naw, just that they get the luxury of wallowing in their man flu :D

Thanks a million, girls. Feeling much better now and if this keeps up I'll attempt an easy run tomorrow. I'm actually surprised by how sensible I have been. The old me would have kept training, raced today and ended up in a heap taking twice as long to get better :rolleyes:.

Thanks a million, girls. Feeling much better now and if this keeps up I'll attempt an easy run tomorrow. I'm actually surprised by how sensible I have been. The old me would have kept training, raced today and ended up in a heap taking twice as long to get better :rolleyes:.

Maturity making you sensible? ;)

Maturity making you sensible? ;)

I was going to say old age, but yes....maturity brings with it a certain wisdom :D
    And of course you just don't get away with as much any more :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Feel better BG. Sounds like you're taking the sensible approach.

• Advertisement

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Feel better BG. Sounds like you're taking the sensible approach.

I hardly recognise myself I'm being so sensible ! Thanks Laura, almost there now .

Advertisement