Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something slowing laptop

Options
  • 07-12-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi folks
    There seems to be something slowing my laptop, I'm just guessing that it's a program running in the background. The anti-virus or Windows update aren't running and I have switched off Backup as I thought it might have been the problem. This machine will operate fine sometimes but 2 or 3 times during the day whatever is happening slows it insanely.
    The machine is a Toshiba C660, Windows 7 SP1
    What can I do to find out what's happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select Task Manager, then click the 'Processes' tab and click the header in the CPU column to see who is chewing up the processor. That's for Win7, not sure about Win8, might be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

Bagenal wrote: »
    Hi folks
    There seems to be something slowing my laptop, I'm just guessing that it's a program running in the background. The anti-virus or Windows update aren't running and I have switched off Backup as I thought it might have been the problem. This machine will operate fine sometimes but 2 or 3 times during the day whatever is happening slows it insanely.
    The machine is a Toshiba C660, Windows 7 SP1
    What can I do to find out what's happening?

Download, install and update malwarebytes. Run a scan and see if that removes anything.

Advertisement