Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 Plus screen replacement

• 07-12-2014 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, unfortunately dropped my shiney new 6 plus and the screen is cracked. I've tried all the usuals but nobody seems to be doing replacement of screens just yet. Other than apple care does someone know someone in Dublin that could do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You're better off going the apple route. Yes it's slightly more expensive but you're guaranteed a genuine screen and your warranty is still intact.
    For the sake of maybe saving 40-50 euro I'd go the apple way every time for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tommy100

apple phones are useless, the screens constantly break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Samsungs are even worse...drop your samsung s3 from 2-3 feet and you're guaranteed it will break. Way weaker than iphone's despite what the fanboys tell you.
    On the other hand the S2s was fantastic and a lot more robust than the S3.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

tommy100 wrote: »

My wife has an apple phone. With a screen. And it's not broken. Your argument is invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

For €141.30 Apple will fix it, keep your warranty and original/best quality screen. Also even if you find a shop that can fix it for you they'll probably charge you more than that (and lose your warranty).
    http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=Ireland&product=iphone
    Replacement screens for new iPhones are hard to get even for the shops, I remember when the iPhone 5/5s was just launched shops were charging €200-250 for screen repairs, I expect similar now for the 6/6+. It's will take a while for the price to drop so no point looking elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

i dropped my 6. I brought it into the Apple store and they replaced the front glass part on it for 79 pound the whole thing took about 1.5 hours. Advice to everyone get a case for them they break very easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

i dropped my 6. I brought it into the Apple store

Where's this? Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Where's this? Cheers.

Well the only Apple Store on this island is Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Well the only Apple Store on this island is Belfast.

Sound, was half hoping he meant a reseller..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Sound, was half hoping he meant a reseller..

Unfortunately, there are no AASP's in ROI. Only place would be go to Belfast or see if your carrier could help - but that would probably take two weeks. You could also ring AppleCare and mail it in but once again, you would be without it for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

mine fell out a 2 story window and was grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Hi, unfortunately dropped my shiney new 6 plus and the screen is cracked. I've tried all the usuals but nobody seems to be doing replacement of screens just yet. Other than apple care does someone know someone in Dublin that could do this?

Hi OP,

I have the same problem. Freak accident and mine smashed in my hand. Didn't even drop it :mad:

Can you let me know what route you went to sort this and what it cost? I'm in Dublin. Have insurance and bought from Apple Stateside but don't have Applecare...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

Does Applecare not also have some sort of accidental damage ... "up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling"!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

And no other brand of phone does ?

That's funny, I have my iPhone 15 months, have dropped it several times, and the screen is perfect.. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you damaged your screen OP, and unfortunately it will cost a bit but the official apple route is the best, their aftercare is second to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

pudzey101 wrote: »
    mine fell out a 2 story window and was grand :)

If that was a Nokia 3210 the pavement would have to be replaced :P

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

I must say the iPhone 6 is incredibly slippy in the hand without a case, dropped it twice shortly after buying it with a little dent resulting. Needless to say it's in a case now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

i dropped my 6. I brought it into the Apple store and they replaced the front glass part on it for 79 pound the whole thing took about 1.5 hours. Advice to everyone get a case for them they break very easy.

Sorry to rise an old thread, just about obliterated my 6+ screen

I could take a spin to Belfast. Did you need to book an appointment or just turn up?

Apparently apple online will charge me €330 out of warranty fee upfront but then will refund 330 minus 140 if only the screen is broken

Sorry to rise an old thread, just about obliterated my 6+ screen

I could take a spin to Belfast. Did you need to book an appointment or just turn up?

Apparently apple online will charge me €330 out of warranty fee upfront but then will refund 330 minus 140 if only the screen is broken

Best to make an appt to make sure you'll be seen - walk ins aren't guaranteed.

• Advertisement

Depends.

If your iPhone was bought in the EU then you can courier it to Apple for a fix. They'll collect it from you at your home/place of work.

If your iPhone was purchased OUTSIDE of the EU, then you must go to Belfast for a fix. You need to call ahead to make sure that they can order in a replacement OUTSIDE of the EU iPhone model if necessary, otherwise you may have to make a second trip if they decide its more than just the screen (or they opt at their discretion to swap the handset - which they've been known to do).

If its only the screen that's smashed (which includes the LCD), then you're looking at 99GBP (in Belfast) to replace a 6 PLUS screen (€141 I think if you courier it to them). I've been through this a couple of times already.... good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Is there a specific difference between EU and NON-EU hardware? I didn't know there was?

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Is there a specific difference between EU and NON-EU hardware? I didn't know there was?

From Apple's point of view; yes. Each continent's iPhone has a different model number. Basically the only difference is the 4G bands that the phone can pick up. So if you got your iPhone outside of the EU, Apple will only deal with it at an Apple Store (so, Belfast) which can order in the exact model.

Their courier repair service in Ireland won't deal with non-EU iPhones - they'll just tell you that they cannot process the serial number attached to a non-EU handset over the phone and you'll have to go to Belfast.

Which is why you need to call the Belfast store beforehand on the off-chance that the repaired handset doesn't pass their quality check. They'll need to have another non-EU one ordered in for you.

thanks!

upgraded from meteor so its 100% EU model :)

my wife is heading to manchester next week and returning same day. Anyone used mainland UK apple stores for repair? I'll book a genius bar appointment

Would it be possible to get this done same day? I mean leave it with apple at say 1 or 2pm and come back around 6/7pm for collection or how does it work?

thanks!

upgraded from meteor so its 100% EU model :)

my wife is heading to manchester next week and returning same day. Anyone used mainland UK apple stores for repair? I'll book a genius bar appointment

Would it be possible to get this done same day? I mean leave it with apple at say 1 or 2pm and come back around 6/7pm for collection or how does it work?

If you post it off you'll have it back in about 3-4 working days.

If your wife goes in then she'll need an appointment. And you'll have to tell them in advance she's not the owner because they'll ask for your Apple ID etc (plus it'll need to be wiped before they'll accept it so do a full iTunes backup first).

It only takes them 45 mins tops to swap out the screen in an Apple Store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Should add that they won't necessarily wipe it unless they have to, but they will check that you've done an iCloud backup. I've had my screen replaced on my 6 twice and they haven't wiped it.

Zcott wrote: »
    Should add that they won't necessarily wipe it unless they have to, but they will check that you've done an iCloud backup. I've had my screen replaced on my 6 twice and they haven't wiped it.

Jaysus! Twice?! :) gorilla glass my arse!

Jaysus! Twice?! :) gorilla glass my arse!

Also twice, on my 6 plus. The rounded edges of the glass seem to be a serious design flaw. The first time they didn't even charge me.

Advertisement