Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault in Rathmines

Options
  • 07-12-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have been living in Rathmines for 5.5 years now, and have always felt safe walking around at night. This unfortunately changed last Friday night when just after 1am I was assaulted by two scumbags on Leinster Road. I crossed the road as they were approaching, but one of them followed me, asked me for a smoke and immediately delivered a violent punch to my head. Another one of them joined in (there were four in total, only two got involved), and demanded my wallet and phone. After three more punches in the head, they gave up and walked away empty-handed (I screamed and shouted a lot). The gardai have identified them and are doing their work, hoping to charge them.

This has significantly changed my perception of the safety of the area at night, and I thought other people might want to be aware of this also. Apparently the above individuals are known to the gardai, so it may not be the last time they do something like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

sorru to hear this man......been living in the area for 12 years....never had an ounce of trouble.
    Don't let it get ya down...I know....easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Really sorry to hear this .. I can understand how you will feel for a long time to come. But it won't last forever. Time will help. I love in Ranelagh and walk around late at night all the time. I won't change my habits because it could happen absolutely anywhere.

Please don't stop going out. Of course be more careful than before but try try try not to allow it to restrict your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

That is really terrible. I am afraid bad things happen everywhere. It is easy for us to say forget a out it but you know how you feel. The Guards can probably point you in the way of a support organisation or medical support. If it feels bad and is effecting your life get help somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

I hope you are feeling better !! little scum bags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

The toe rags are probably in and out of court regularly. Take solace in the fact that their lives are really **** and the'll be dead way before you will. Dying in misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 greenhib

If you have had any headaches as a consequence, please could you get a face scan done to check if there are no fractures and also an mri of the brain. And then get their insurance to cover it even if you have the insurance. That is just not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sorry to hear that.

Nowhere in the city is 100% safe unfortunately and in my experience (lived there and have had friends there for around 25 years), there's always been the odd issue in Rathmines. It's a focal area with a lot of nightlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Sorry to here that OP, hope you recover quickly.

I lived on Leinster Road for a good few years now. While I do think its safe for the most part I do find that at night is a quiet, isolated place with a few dodgy looking characters passing though.

I think the lack of retailer such as Spar on such a long residential road makes it a bit desolate / eerie.

Just my thoughts, different for everyone I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Has happened quite a few times in the Leinster Road, Grosvenor Road, Kenilworth Road area in the past few years from my experience.

Local school kids getting jumped on by delinquents of similar age.

Advertisement