Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GNIB Overnight Queues

• 08-12-2014 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

In order to obtain a visa to live in Ireland, non-EU citizens have to queue outside the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) building on Burgh Quay, Dublin. People are now *queueing overnight*, from 8 pm, until 8 am the next morning. This is unacceptable.
    It has now been a decade since the first consultation on an Immigration Residency and Protection Bill, but with no reform in sight. The GNIB and INIS have always been inefficient, but the recent scenes outside the GNIB are proof of the failure of successive governments to honor commitments to reform the immigration legislation.
    As non-citizens, we are unable to vote. Hence, politicians have been able to ignore this issue with impunity. However, this has turned into a human rights issue. There are pregnant women, mothers and fathers with their babies, their children, old people waiting on the streets for hours, in the cold. This is no way to treat honest, tax-paying residents. It is degrading and humiliating. The level of ignorance and inaction on this issue, is sickening.
    We understand that change and innovation in governmental organizations is slow all over the world. All we are asking for, is an online appointment system tool to be integrated into the re-entry visa system. Online Appointment System tools exist all over the world, we're not asking INIS to re-invent the wheel.
    The situation we find ourselves in is beyond contempt, and as tax-payers, we hope for an immediate action by the Irish government.

secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/GNIB_Overnight_Queues_We_call_on_the_Irish_government_to_bring_an_online_appointment_system/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭m_hunter

Yes.. this queue thing need to improve, a online booking system like NDSL should be introduced...

Non-EU can vote for local elections, but problem is, no one bother to register to VOTE!!!!

Do not pass on self estimate information please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ssgreen

Well, non-EU may vote for local elections. The point is non-EU may not vote if they are not in Ireland at the time of voting. They might be in different countries/or on their holidays etc. This is where the re-entry visa comes in

Well, non-EU may vote for local elections. The point is non-EU may not vote if they are not in Ireland at the time of voting. They might be in different countries/or on their holidays etc. This is where the re-entry visa comes in. May be the original author should have written that sentence more clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When it comes to queues and the public service often it descends into farce. I went for a 9am appointment in the Mater recently, showed up on time but wasn't seen till 12.45pm, almost four hours later. The admin staff had sent letters out to almost 20 people telling them their appointment for the one consultant was 9am. So 20 people had hours of their day unnecessarily wasted because the admin staff couldn't seem to care less.

ssgreen wrote: »
    Well, non-EU may vote for local elections. The point is non-EU may not vote if they are not in Ireland at the time of voting. They might be in different countries/or on their holidays etc. This is where the re-entry visa comes in

Actually, write a letter and signed by many then send on to some local TD will make it more noticeable. I will arrange on in my company(Mulhuddart one).

• Advertisement

Actually my first post was based on the awaaz petition made by some one recently. Here is the link to sign it:

secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/GNIB_Overnight_Queues_We_call_on_the_Irish_government_to_bring_an_online_appointment_system/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ssgreen wrote: »
    In order to obtain a visa to live in Ireland, non-EU citizens have to queue outside the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) building on Burgh Quay, Dublin. People are now *queueing overnight*, from 8 pm, until 8 am the next morning. This is unacceptable.
    It has now been a decade since the first consultation on an Immigration Residency and Protection Bill, but with no reform in sight. The GNIB and INIS have always been inefficient, but the recent scenes outside the GNIB are proof of the failure of successive governments to honor commitments to reform the immigration legislation.
    As non-citizens, we are unable to vote. Hence, politicians have been able to ignore this issue with impunity. However, this has turned into a human rights issue. There are pregnant women, mothers and fathers with their babies, their children, old people waiting on the streets for hours, in the cold. This is no way to treat honest, tax-paying residents. It is degrading and humiliating. The level of ignorance and inaction on this issue, is sickening.
    We understand that change and innovation in governmental organizations is slow all over the world. All we are asking for, is an online appointment system tool to be integrated into the re-entry visa system. Online Appointment System tools exist all over the world, we're not asking INIS to re-invent the wheel.
    The situation we find ourselves in is beyond contempt, and as tax-payers, we hope for an immediate action by the Irish government.

gnib says you don't have to queue cos you can do it by post http://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/immigration-service-to-introduce-online-appointment-system-for-visas-in-2015-1.2032592 how long does that take?

within 10 working days, that's 2 years ago. Not sure how long it take now, you can check GNIB website, they have the detail there.

I'm not sure why so many people queue for re-entry visa, unless you have to travel next week, post it is always the best way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

I'm sure there's room for improvement but there are limited resources and it's hardly a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beaner1 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's room for improvement but there are limited resources and it's hardly a priority.
    Well, we have a couple of sectors at the moment with a huge amount of job openings and difficulty filling them with Irish and even EU citizens.

If it becomes known that obtaining a visa or even doing simple registration things in Ireland as a non-EU citizen is difficult and painful, then you'll have difficulty encouraging non-EU people to come over, and as a result you will start seeing foreign companies drifting away to places where they can get staff in quickly.

We have the shield of EU membership there, but a relatively smooth immigration process needs to be part of the overall foreign investment strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Very similar thread from October in the Politics Café right here.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I recall some years back travelling by Burgh Quay early one morning seeing the queues for the GNIB at the time I didn't know what it was for until a foreign friend informed me. I felt so bad that for the people there no cead mile failite there, I suppose as with everything the legitimate candidates suffer due to the systems in place to identify those who are not entitled to be here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

petronius wrote: »
    I recall some years back travelling by Burgh Quay early one morning seeing the queues for the GNIB at the time I didn't know what it was for until a foreign friend informed me. I felt so bad that for the people there no cead mile failite there, I suppose as with everything the legitimate candidates suffer due to the systems in place to identify those who are not entitled to be here
    why in any system should people have to queue up like that?

Advertisement