Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barber

Options
  • 08-12-2014 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

So know this has been done before. But cannot find a recent thread.

Barbers in Galway. Time for me to get another hair cut, cannot find somewhere I am happy with. Nothing too major. Just a decent smarting up.

All recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Cant beat One Step Ahead on Abbeygate St imo. Other than that theres a new one in the corner unit of the Cornstore, possibly called the Gentlemans Barber, looks a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

I'm a fan of Fat Tony's, particularly the one near Oranmore/Maldron Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Any update recommendations for Galway city barbers ? Will be around the city from time to time and would be useful to have a regular barber for the gruaig. I've had a few hair raising experiences to say the least at the hands of dodgy barbers, so thinking of searching out someone who knows hat their about. Any recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've had a few hair raising experiences to say the least at the hands of dodgy barbers

That's a miracle rather than an experience I think.
    I don't go to any myself, but most of my friends use the place opposite Tí Cóilí.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

House of Grafton. Ask for Conor or Dave!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mapaputsi

I would say that I have tried every barber in town at least once at this stage.

Recommendations would be:

1. Healys beside the Kings head. There’s a grey haired guy in here who gives a smashing haircut, avoid if he is not there. No harm in waiting for him to come available either, rude and all as it may seem.

2. Kozzy’s at the Headford Road shopping centre. There is an eastern European girl in here with a large tattoo on the back of her neck that always gave me a nice cut, haven’t been here in almost a year though so not sure if she is still there.

3. Edge Barbers upstairs in the Eyre Square shopping centre. There is an older woman in here who is great, and never takes loads off the top like most others when you ask for a ‘trim’.

What I have started doing these days is bringing in pictures of what I want done on my phone. Might seem a little odd to people but barbers enjoy it as far as I can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Thanks for the recommendations folks - will give em all a try over time. Although some of my friends wait for a specific barber that they like when the go for a haircut, I'd find it a bit rude to refuse the next available barber when my turn comes. This was what happened when I had a bad hair day experience referred to in my OP - went to a barber shop where I had good haircuts previously but on this occasion I didn't have the nerve to refuse the next available lad and wait until the one I wanted to cut my hair was free. Big mistake ! The guy I got made a mess of it , don't feel like going there again although there are 2 good barbers there - the others ( possibly part timers ?) I wouldn't trust again. It's not that I'm very fussy but it's one thing I like is to have a decent haircut, done by someone who knows what they're about !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Thanks for the recommendations folks - will give em all a try over time. Although some of my friends wait for a specific barber that they like when the go for a haircut, I'd find it a bit rude to refuse the next available barber when my turn comes. This was what happened when I had a bad hair day experience referred to in my OP - went to a barber shop where I had good haircuts previously but on this occasion I didn't have the nerve to refuse the next available lad and wait until the one I wanted to cut my hair was free. Big mistake ! The guy I got made a mess of it , don't feel like going there again although there are 2 good barbers there - the others ( possibly part timers ?) I wouldn't trust again. It's not that I'm very fussy but it's one thing I like is to have a decent haircut, done by someone who knows what they're about !

The better barbers always ask you if you want this or that done and give you a tissue at the end. Not all of them do that though.

Hair Republic in Westside Shopping Centre I find very good. Very professional, nice staff and quite thorough.

Hermans (I am not sure if that is its name) in the G Shopping Centre just beside Happy Days always do a too quick a job for me I am afraid so I don't go there anymore for that reason.

I would not return to any barber who continued to use a comb or scissors that fell to the floor while cutting my hair. The better, more professional ones put in in a jar of green something or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I recently went to the barbers beside Terryland Fruit & Veg, and they were bloody spot on. Very happy with the chop. Very happy with the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I recently went to the barbers beside Terryland Fruit & Veg, and they were bloody spot on. Very happy with the chop. Very happy with the price.

Did the highlights come out ok?

• Advertisement
Advertisement