Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thermostat or something else? TDi

• 08-12-2014 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 2001 A4 with the 115bhp TDi at just over 200,000 miles.

Recently I've noticed it's not holding temp very well. When driving and constantly moving the temp stays at 90. It gets up to 90 when on national roads and motorways however when I come off the motorway, at long mile road for example, and into stop start traffic, the temp falls around 50 and 70.

The fans are always giving good heat and the temp only seems to drop when the car is idle (something I always thought to be the opposite of a failing thermostat)

I replaced the coolant temp sensor and it made no difference. This was just the green plug part of the sensor.

The car takes a while to get warm in the mornings but these TDi's never seem to warm up fast in winter.

Anybody have any idea what to do next?

As said, temp only falls down when idle, and that's after blasting along the motorway for an hour with the water showing 90 degrees.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Are the fans kicking in when the temperature drops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

Most likely the thermostat alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I go with thermostat as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Could be thermo!?tho OEM bad thermo usually gauge won't register and with 'little' heat coming through.... If changing thermo make sure to get oemVAG and not spurious, may as well have a dodgy OEM as have new after market thermo.

Advertisement