Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Penalty Point offences effective today

• 08-12-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭

So it's all over the news that the new penalty point offences/changes come into effect today. These include:
    New offences
    The new offences that will now draw penalty points include:
    Failure by learner or novice drivers to display L plates or N plates respectively on their cars;
    Drivers breaking a ban on U-turns;
    Breaking rules on the use of mini roundabouts;
    Offences relating to the size and weight of larger vehicles;
    Going beyond no-entry to vehicles signs;
    Disobeying traffic control signs;
    and driving without a licence plate or with one that has been altered inaccurately.

Offences that will now face a change to the number of penalty points they now carry will include:
    Driving without a test certificate;
    Dangerous parking;
    Failure to keep to the left-hand side of the road;
    Dangerous overtaking;
    Driving across the road’s middle line;
    Failure to stop for a stop sign;
    Failure to yield at a yield sign or yield line;
    Not following traffic signs at junctions;
    Breaking traffic light rules;
    and breaking of speed restrictions.

The big one seems to be the NCT change. With ridiculous waiting times for tests now the norm in most centres, this one seems harsh - yes I know you can ring up looking for a cancellation but we're coming into the busiest time of the year for tests so is this enough?

The mini-roundabout one seems ridiculous too. There's many of these that it's virtually impossible to drive around (especially if you're driving a bigger vehicle like a bus) so how will this one work?

Or should we worry at all? The usual blitz for the first few weeks but then we'll be back to normal in terms of AGS enforcement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

The potential biggest one for a lot of people could be the license plate one. It's totally open to interpretation and we could be seeing a German plate crackdown for those lovely 0's with the gap in them.

The felt uproar will be magical. :pac:

I also think the roudabout one isn't about having to go around the actual roundabout, probably more the people on the main road actually giving way to traffic from the right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

dar83 wrote: »
    The potential biggest one for a lot of people could be the license plate one. It's totally open to interpretation and we could be seeing a German plate crackdown for those lovely 0's with the gap in them.

I also think the roudabout one isn't about having to go around the actual roundabout, probably more the people on the main road actually giving way to traffic from the right...
    I have no idea why people feel the need to modify licence plates anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

I don't think the German style plates should be a problem in that they are actually designed to be easily read by ANPR systems ( why people want to fit them I've no idea but each to his own).
    It's the dirt covered number plates that can't be read at all should be the target.
    Coincidentally I've seen an increased number of filthy cars recently with the rear number plate having been hurriedly cleaned;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So it's all over the news that the new penalty point offences/changes come into effect today. These include:

The big one seems to be the NCT change. With ridiculous waiting times for tests now the norm in most centres, this one seems harsh - yes I know you can ring up looking for a cancellation but we're coming into the busiest time of the year for tests so is this enough?

The mini-roundabout one seems ridiculous too. There's many of these that it's virtually impossible to drive around (especially if you're driving a bigger vehicle like a bus) so how will this one work?

Or should we worry at all? The usual blitz for the first few weeks but then we'll be back to normal in terms of AGS enforcement?

You can book in upto 90 days in advance and even if the centre is booked up when calling mentioning that it's free if they can't
    fit you in after 4 weeks they always find a
    space, the only reason to get done for no NCT these days is laziness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

People looking for abit of glammer lol.

I'm glad the reg plate penalty system is coming in. I'm sick of people sticking a fecking 'D' and 'pretend' German nct sticker thingys on their plates. This is Ireland not Germany! Don't be so silly....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

People looking for abit of glammer lol.

I'm glad the reg plate penalty system is coming in. I'm sick of people sticking a fecking 'D' and 'pretend' German nct sticker thingys on their plates. This is Ireland not Germany! Don't be so silly....

But sure we're all but run by Merkel and Co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can book in upto 90 days in advance and even if the centre is booked up when calling mentioning that it's free if they can't

No so. Yes, they are obliged to give you a test withing 28 days, but not in the centre of your choosing, just in the locality. For instance, I was away for a period of time and asked a family member to NCT my car. Its quite a big deal the difference between going to say Deansgrange or Fonthill from where I live. But its within their charter and you can whistle all you like about it. Eventually, seeing as the car was off the road anyway,they gave me a day exactly one day earlier than I had been given. Didn't bother us really, but the cancellation charter rule doesn't always work in your favor and is ludicrous anyway that you have to go to that extent to get a test.

As for 90 days, that's just a cop out on their behalf as it theoretically gives them 118 days to get you a test, as opposed to having an easily achievable goal of a test within two weeks. There should be an option of electing to get a last minute cancellation or no show on the form when you book.

Either way, you should have a period of grace given the shambles that is the NCT service.
    Failure to keep to the left-hand side of the road;
    Dangerous overtaking;
    Driving across the road’s middle line;
    Failure to stop for a stop sign;
    Failure to yield at a yield sign or yield line;
    Not following traffic signs at junctions;
    Breaking traffic light rules;

Someone really should be banned for them to be honest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's points for vehicle modifications too, but I can't find details of what it based on. Can anyone throw some light on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

What's all this about German number plates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Just trying to access the list of NCT centres on ncts.ie and it's asking for a password- anyone else getting this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

tradhead wrote: »
    Just trying to access the list of NCT centres on ncts.ie and it's asking for a password- anyone else getting this?

This one you mean? http://www.ncts.ie/locations.html

no password prompt here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

That's so strange, I tried 7 or 8 times earlier and it wouldn't let me in without a password! Thanks anyway :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Since AGS don't bother their hole enforcing current rules of the road, I would say this is all the usual empty noise to show the government is "doing something".
    Case in point: when is the last time anyone has seen the Gards pull over anyone for incorrect roundabout usage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

longshanks wrote: »
    What's all this about German number plates?

Bad taste aside, I was under the impression they were in fact legal given the letter spacing, width etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Haxelrm

more money for the big boys ripoff lreland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

ironclaw wrote: »
    Bad taste aside, I was under the impression they were in fact legal given the letter spacing, width etc?

I would have thought so too apart unless there is a D instead of an IRL on it. Or maybe the fake TUV symbols.

If that's the worst motoring crime that's going on I think we are all safe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Haxelrm wrote: »
    more money for the big boys ripoff lreland

How is it more money? The offences have already been on the books for a long time. It's just that you now get points for the offence, rather than having to go to court. :rolleyes:

It will really be about enforcement, rather than what the offence is.

• Site Banned Posts: 34 Max Carr

We really do live in a nanny state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

There's a mini roundabout in monaghan town that's physically impossible to navigate correctly in a lorry or bus - probably lots more examples aroud the country as well. Already uproar over some fines handed out, be interesting to see what happens when they start doling out penalty points as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Paulw wrote: »
    How is it more money? The offences have already been on the books for a long time. It's just that you now get points for the offence, rather than having to go to court. :rolleyes:

It will really be about enforcement, rather than what the offence is.

And it's hardly likely the rate of enforcement will rise just because points have been introduced or increased as the case may be.

Nothing to see here, move along!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Have to laugh at people getting uppity about the NCT one. They've actually made it a smaller deal than it was before. It used to be a mandatory court appearance + five points + conviction.

Now it's a fixed penalty of 3 points + fine. Sounds like a good thing to me. Unless people were taking the gamble that Gardai wouldn't be bothered taking them to court. In which case I've no sympathy.

The mini-roundabout one is actually pretty simple, as far as I know the only rule you have to obey is the one in general for roundabouts - a person must enter a roundabout by turning left. So if you make even the vaguest of attempts to go "around" the roundabout, even if you end up driving across it, you won't fall foul of it. The penalty is designed to stop people treating it as a junction rather than a roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

There's points for vehicle modifications too, but I can't find details of what it based on. Can anyone throw some light on this?

I was just reading the new offence and spotted this,

Using vehicle in a public place that has been modified or altered such that authorisation plate is inaccurate

There are a lot of the new offences related only to commercial vehicles, this is another one I think, an authorisation plate is only for vehicles over 3.5ton, i had to google authorisation plate as I had never heard it before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I've mine booked for the week its due. By right you need to book 3 months in advance to guarantee a test date. I was a bit last minute last year but managed to get it on a date the week it was due. I didn't book till two weeks before hand. I got a Friday evening time so they can fit you in depends where you do it.
    I was looking at the test dates available on the online booking calendar and I was very limited with dates/times.

The mini roundabouts one I don't know but I think everyone makes a mistake with that one and it can be easy to break lights sometimes. How can they penalise you for dangerous over taking/near the middle line? They have to have cameras all over Ireland not just the M50? With the exception of the speeding vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

IMO, Forget about the German plates, crack down is needed on the blue blinding lights on cars (TDI mostly) that the're not made for.!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

doovdela wrote: »
    How can they penalise you for dangerous over taking/near the middle line? They have to have cameras all over Ireland not just the M50? With the exception of the speeding vans.

Nah, it'll be the usual situation of you'll have to be seen doing it and have a Garda who's willing to do the paperwork to bother. Same as everything else - it'll depend who you get on the day.

I've seen crazy manoeuvres in front of AGS cars that didn't budge an inch to deal with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I tried to get an appointment today(current test is out in Jan) the earliest date they could give me was late February. I ended up being put on a priority list as I don't want to wait that long.

It's ridiculous to say someone should of booked 3 months in advance and if they don't they are lazy and it's their own fault!!. By right 2 weeks should be plenty of time for an nct booking, or even a month. I've given them a bit more time than that and they still can't give me a date, which is ridiculous tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

The 3 month's prior booking for an NCT is all well and good but what about in the case of an import? My car arrived last month, was VRT'd within a day and I was able to book in for an Nct a few day's later once it was on the system. That's all great, but the nearest date given for a test was the 23d January.

I've knocked a bit off that by checking the site a few times a day for cancellations but it's going to come down to how the guard who may stop you is feeling and if they'll be lenient if you show them your waiting on the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

dar83 wrote: »

Most german plates are actually legal
    Once they have the IRL, the dashes and the county name

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

ironclaw wrote: »

Once you have the irl, dashes and the county name on them, You're 100% grand, I got brought to court over having square jap plates on a jap import, got 4 summons for the 2 plates, 2 for the front and 2 for the back, And they met requirements and got struck out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

job seeker wrote: »
    IMO, Forget about the German plates, crack down is needed on the blue blinding lights on cars (TDI mostly) that they're not made for.!!!

What about the Range Rover Sports - they may be factory fitted but they are still blinding.

*being:)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

More laws piled on top of more laws that wont be enforced,the usual government nonsense.

seamus wrote: »
    Have to laugh at people getting uppity about the NCT one. They've actually made it a smaller deal than it was before. It used to be a mandatory court appearance + five points + conviction.

Now it's a fixed penalty of 3 points + fine. Sounds like a good thing to me. Unless people were taking the gamble that Gardai wouldn't be bothered taking them to court. In which case I've no sympathy..

Gardai didnt enforce the previous NCT rule as it was not possible to bring people to court,
    No enforcement means no laws. I saw a golf in navan yesterday with an NCT disk from 2003 !! 2003! The first format of disc and all. Parked up with in date tax and insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Since AGS don't bother their hole enforcing current rules of the road, I would say this is all the usual empty noise to show the government is "doing something".
    Case in point: when is the last time anyone has seen the Gards pull over anyone for incorrect roundabout usage?

Hope you are right.nct is a load of bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

People are a little confused here. There is no fixed charge penalty for number plates. People are confusing what is a licence/registration plate with an authorisation plate that hgvs must use to display the maximum load it may carry.

As listed on RSA.ie the offence is 'Using vehicle in a public place without an authorisation plate'.

All that said I do believe there should be a ticket for dodgy number plates as well as tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Garda have their work cut out if they enforce drive on the left between nass and Newlands cross.

• Advertisement

visual wrote: »
    Garda have their work cut out if they enforce drive on the left between nass and Newlands cross.

Theres a first time for everything I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I tried to get an appointment today(current test is out in Jan) the earliest date they could give me was late February. I ended up being put on a priority list as I don't want to wait that long.

It's ridiculous to say someone should of booked 3 months in advance and if they don't they are lazy and it's their own fault!!. By right 2 weeks should be plenty of time for an nct booking, or even a month. I've given them a bit more time than that and they still can't give me a date, which is ridiculous tbh.

SNAP..... Booked my car last week and was given the 23rd of February!

So, if we all booked our cars 3 months early, then the back log would grow and we'd be told we have to book 6 months in advance - there is clearly a lack of capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

FGR wrote: »
    People are a little confused here. There is no fixed charge penalty for number plates. People are confusing what is a licence/registration plate with an authorisation plate that hgvs must use to display the maximum load it may carry.

As listed on RSA.ie the offence is 'Using vehicle in a public place without an authorisation plate'.

All that said I do believe there should be a ticket for dodgy number plates as well as tyres.

I was wondering where all the number plate comments came from, in the first post it mentions licence plate but not on the RSA website!
    I just did my rigid test and we were told it was called a VIN plate no mention of authorisation plate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

SNAP..... Booked my car last week and was given the 23rd of February!

So, if we all booked our cars 3 months early, then the back log would grow and we'd be told we have to book 6 months in advance - there is clearly a lack of capacity.
    They should fix the system before introducing these new laws and penalties for the nct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Max Carr wrote: »
    We really do live in a nanny state.

Because we, the Irish people, have shown total disregard for the law of the land. We bring these things on ourselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

More penalties, more sanctions. Still not enough gardai.

More bolloxology

dgt wrote: »
    More penalties, more sanctions. Still not enough gardai.

More bolloxology

shhh
    If they start enforcing the rules I cant drive me zed lol

Oh and it says no U turns but what about O turns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

can I point out that the NCT penalties are now less than they were...they were: mandatory Court appearance, 5 points and up to €1500 fine on conviction

corktina wrote: »
    can I point out that the NCT penalties are now less than they were...they were: mandatory Court appearance, 5 points and up to €1500 fine on conviction

less points
    but more points in reality because the previous points were unenforceable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Nothing about cabinet ministers refusing to take a breathe test and driving off?

How many points does that get?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They're telling people to ring the nct call centre to book a test as the website is booking dates far into the future.

Jesus Christ like. Fix the f*cking website. Not that f*cking difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

All these 'new' offences most of them already accounted for in the trusted ever expanding scope of 'driving without due care & attention.
    I don't think the right questions are being asked

Is there a shred of proof required by the Gardai to to impose ANY of these offences? Should there be?
    For eg in a case of a garda dash cam actually capturing an 'alledged' offence ,should a normal joe not be allowed this footage as proof in a court that its, perhaps a completely fictitious 'alledged' offence or at the very least dubious?

People are actually worried these 'new' offences won't be enforced, lets hope their not approached by some power trippin gimp who's having a slow week and decides he wants a bit of action simply because he can.No proof, no comeback....no problem. Afterall If a gard says it happened ..it happened.

For me thats the real problem here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Can someone explain what "contravention of ban on U-turns" actually means? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

woody33 wrote: »
    Can someone explain what "contravention of ban on U-turns" actually means? Thanks.
    You turning where u been told not to.

Eg some traffic light junctions and many dual carriageways have "no u-turn" signs for good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Grand, I was hoping it wasn't a complete ban on u-turns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement