Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlackBerry users?

Options
  • 08-12-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

I wonder if there are any BlackBerry users in Ireland, and I don't mean people that are forced to use a BlackBerry for work but choose to have one.

Me, meself owns a BlackBerry Passport, before the Passport I had a Q10 and Z10 before that one. And before that a 9320, 9900, 9780, 9700, 9500.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

A friend / guy I worked with had one (z10 I think). He moved back to Canada though. I presumed that the only people using them were Canadian.
    I used BBM on Android thanks to him, but as he was my only contact on it I have no use for it even though it functiond well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Idleater wrote: »
    A friend / guy I worked with had one (z10 I think). He moved back to Canada though. I presumed that the only people using them were Canadian.
    I used BBM on Android thanks to him, but as he was my only contact on it I have no use for it even though it functiond well.

Ahh okay cool :) I always used BBM and have kinda alot of contacts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I had a Z10 and gave it to my son as the apps I needed weren't available. He loved it, but the microphone was awful in it, and you couldn't hear him on a call. Then we found out just how awful BBs after sales is. Couldn't find an authorised repair centre in Ireland, no contact numbers, Amazon even gave up and told us to return it for a full refund, as they couldn't find the information either. Pity, great phone, but abysmal support

oh that's weird :o I also had a z10 but never had any issues with is, I love my new passport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

I had a curve 9320 but gave up on it due to a loose battery connection that is apparently a design flaw with it. I still have it stored away in a cupboard as a spare in case I need it. I'm tempted by the Passport as it will run a ton of Android apps and is receiving very good reviews - more even than the Q10 I was interested in.

I was also recently in South East Asia and looking at the Z3 but worried that it wouldn't work on the frequencies/bands here and would be stuck with it until I got back out there.

That Android app compatibility in BBos10.2 seems to be paying off for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...That Android app compatibility in BBos10.2 seems to be paying off for them.

Bit too late. Theres almost none of them in the shops, and almost no one is using them. If you can find them, they are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

BostonB wrote: »
    Bit too late. Theres almost none of them in the shops, and almost no one is using them. If you can find them, they are very expensive.

Its amazing to compare the attitude of Irish people towards the BB with that of the UK, where every second teenager has a BB.

Just back from Jakarta:
    Its amazing to compare the attitude of Irish people towards the BB with that of Indonesia, where every person has a BB.

This in addition to a Droid or iPhone. Everything happens on BBM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Its amazing to compare the attitude of Irish people towards the BB with that of the UK, where every second teenager has a BB.
    Maybe in the past, put even Windows Phone is overtaking BB in the UK: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/21/blackberry-uk-user-base-below-windows-phone. BB have dropped from 11% to 3.5% in the space of two years.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

28064212 wrote: »
    Maybe in the past, put even Windows Phone is overtaking BB in the UK: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/21/blackberry-uk-user-base-below-windows-phone. BB have dropped from 11% to 3.5% in the space of two years.

I'm going on the response of teenage members of my extended family in UK. I put your argument to them and got a swift retort that everyone in school had a BB:). Apparently the BBM app was the big influence.

• Advertisement

What has attitude got to do with it. Is any shop actually selling them here? Vodaphone maybe? Any of the networks here have a BB tariff that is attractive to the typical teenager/student.

For those of you with BB's where did you buy them? I don't think I've ever seen a Q10, Passport, any recent device. For a very short term there were a few Z10's. The only place I see them now is on O2 website for 430. Is that going to draw teenagers? Not on O2 plans anyway.

On the trains I commute on everyone has a smart phone, and to see a BB is very rare. I have family in the UK with teenagers and students and none of them have BB or ever had.

I expect in the UK they may have some mega cheap student plan that attracted them to it at some point.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What has attitude got to do with it. Is any shop actually selling them here? Vodaphone maybe? Any of the networks here have a BB tariff that is attractive to the typical teenager/student.

For those of you with BB's where did you buy them? I don't think I've ever seen a Q10, Passport, any recent device. For a very short term there were a few Z10's. The only place I see them now is on O2 website for 430. Is that going to draw teenagers? Not on O2 plans anyway.

On the trains I commute on everyone has a smart phone, and to see a BB is very rare. I have family in the UK with teenagers and students and none of them have BB or ever had.

I expect in the UK they may have some mega cheap student plan that attracted them to it at some point.

VF were selling BBs for €129 a while ago, but I don't think it took off. My son was 17 when he had it, and absolutely loved it, the way it kept all communications such as Twitter, FB, Instagram etc all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

I think bb need to look at their pricing to get people back on their system , don't know anyone that has a bb. Its mostly iphone or android with the odd one or two on windows.

I would consider blackberry and have been doing a bit of reading up on them lately but haven't seen one for 200 euro or less that compares to the lumia 735 or a moto g 2nd gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I hopefully be a new BB user over the next few days iv my eye on the new BB Classic. I be moving from a Galaxy note 2 to it.

Out of curiosity why?

Bb's system of forcing you to buy into their services was awkward I.e. if you were on payg you had to go through your network to get signed up to bbm etc and it was taken from your credit. If you didn't then you had no internet. At least I didn't on the curve 9320.

Has this changed. I'm somewhat interested in the passport (very good for getting things done by all accounts) but not interested in old awkward bb charges and want everything from network (calls, text, internet).

The q10 also appeals with its solid keyboard and battery.

As said before, their prices are very high new which is why they released the z3 in some countries after the z10 and z30.. Pity it hasn't dropped over here.

Out of curiosity why?

Friend of mine has the passport and after looking at it it seems like a solid device nice os etc but a little too wide for me so iv my eyes on the classic

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

I like this Blackberry Passport, had the Bold 9900 and miss it. Tell me if I buy the Passport do I need to get special contract to run it? Or is that finish?

DonFred wrote: »
    I like this Blackberry Passport, had the Bold 9900 and miss it. Tell me if I buy the Passport do I need to get special contract to run it? Or is that finish?

What's this special contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Being a while since I had my Bold 9900 thinik it was called a Blackberry plan? You needed it for BBM, internet, apps etc to work.

• Advertisement

thought that was gone now with the newer phones?

No special plan required with the new BBs, they work with ordinary 3/4G, WiFi etc.

since January all new blackberries don't require a special plan anymore :)

since January all new blackberries don't require a special plan anymore
    Well, I might just be tempted by a second-hand q10 before I splash out on a Passport then...thanks for the confirmation.

jonon9 wrote: »
    I hopefully be a new BB user over the next few days iv my eye on the new BB Classic. I be moving from a Galaxy note 2 to it.

Classic is a nice device, not a powerspec phone but if you don't play games and want a phone that is still a phone and used for phone things + business, the classic is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

jonon9 wrote: »
    Friend of mine has the passport and after looking at it it seems like a solid device nice os etc but a little too wide for me so iv my eyes on the classic

i meant from the note

Iv been to al the phone shops here where I live and not a blackberry in sight.

Wheres the best place to buy the classic? either online or store I guess.

beauf wrote: »
    i meant from the note

Had a go of the passport as well its a beautiful device but got to agree its too wide for me.

thats the problem here, no many places are selling bb so you nearly need to get it online these days.

• Advertisement

It's online for now if you want one.

Vodafone should have them on some sort of deal by the summer: they've got a huge loan from the Canadians (Export Dev Canada, iirc) to do a deal with BB so we should see some of that invested here, although businesses might get the best deals out of it ahead of consumers. Sauce.

I think I'll wait til then.

Advertisement