Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys

Options
  • 08-12-2014 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

I've three babies to buy Xmas presents for and no idea what to get or what's suitable.
    2 of them are 2. The other one is 4 months.
    I wanted to get one of the 2yr olds a leap pad. I have no idea about leap pads, I looked them up there seems to be a choice between two kinds. I'm just wondering could someone tell me what one would suit her best (she's literally turning two tomorrow) is she a bit young?

I was going to get the 4 month old a babog bear, again - is this too advanced for him? I'm at a loss as to what to buy. It's so hard when they can't ask for stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

We got a few toys for our little one last year - they were nine months so a musical toy and a small car and a book. This year they are getting a train and jigsaw...at this age they are so young you get away with small presents. the stocking will have crayons etc....I figure leave the pricey stuff until they ask for it, because they will :-)

Great advice given here last year: something to do (e.g. playdough, crayons etc), something to wear, something to read and something they want

So building/ stacking blocks or a shape sorter for the little one to pull apart and a 'that's not my book' etc could be an idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

They're not my kids, they're all belonging to my best friends, so I don't want to be a cheapskate either but don't want to buy something that they'll never use

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

DUplo is one of the best presents @2,my 4 love it and even the 5 year old still plays with it.
    Anything with wheels is good too,mine loved their scuttle bug bikes.
    Vtech and leap pad do loads of cool electrical toys.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My 2.5yo loves his leap pad, and has had it for about 6 months now. Especially when mam or dad are on their laptops he loves to copy us.

I wouldn't worry about a toy being too advanced for the 4mth old - the main problem with babies is that they advance so quickly its hard to keep them in toys suitable for their rapid progress, so if the child is too young initially, in a couple of months it will be used.

The main thing is to try not to outshine the parents or Santa's gifts when buying for children. ;) But at this young age they wont remember who got them what anyway so its fine.

I think the gifts you thought of are perfect- but do include a gift receipt, especially if there is wider family as there might be duplicates given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Neyite, could you advise which leap pad to get? And is there any accessories I should buy with it?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Neyite, could you advise which leap pad to get? And is there any accessories I should buy with it?

This is the one my son has, and while its basic, its enough for him at that age, plus indestructible which is very important. It doesn't need any accessories - we never got any and never needed any.

I think the tablets can come with headphones, but for most toddlers, getting anything on their head - whether its headphones, sunglasses hats or shampoo can be a challenge anyway so dunno if the child even needs them at that age.

I'm not familiar with the Leap tablets though, hopefully someone else can come along and give you their experience of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Neyite wrote: »
    This is the one my son has, and while its basic, its enough for him at that age, plus indestructible which is very important. It doesn't need any accessories - we never got any and never needed any.

I think the tablets can come with headphones, but for most toddlers, getting anything on their head - whether its headphones, sunglasses hats or shampoo can be a challenge anyway so dunno if the child even needs them at that age.

I'm not familiar with the Leap tablets though, hopefully someone else can come along and give you their experience of them.

My now 3 year old has the same one and she still loves to play with it, particularly in the car. It was a great gift to receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My son was 6 months old last Christmas and we bought him the Fisher Price stacking cups and the box thing you put shapes in. He liked them at the time and is still getting use out of them - no other toys have had as much use. Might be good for the 4 month old

My parents also bought him a ballcano for Xmas last year and again he still likes it. It helps them stand as they get older and even though he's running around now it still gets played with. He/she is a bit young for it now but it will be there as they grow

http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/brands/babytoys/products/Stand-Up-Ballcano

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aiden857

I have looked every where to find a hatchimal for my kids this Christmas and cant seem to find them anywhere. Can anyone please point me in the right direct, as I need to get them before they are all sold out.

Thanks
    Aiden

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

Imaginext fire station OMG my son 8had this when he was 2 best investment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭whattodo1

aiden857 wrote: »
    I have looked every where to find a hatchimal for my kids this Christmas and cant seem to find them anywhere. Can anyone please point me in the right direct, as I need to get them before they are all sold out.

Thanks
    Aiden
    I was looking everywhere aswell argos are hoping to get more in so keep a look out.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

whattodo1 wrote: »
    I was looking everywhere aswell argos are hoping to get more in so keep a look out.

I don't know if it's of any use, as I don't know if these things talk or not, but they are available on Amazon.es

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

They are coming into smyths again between 27th and 3rd of November, was in there today and asked for a friend. (I already got one, pre ordered it from smyths when they first came out, it arrived in post last week). I would suggest getting to your local smyths early those days, or check for pre order online or in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As an oul auntie with no young kids, could some kind soul tell me what the rage is now for five yr old girls and three yr old boys please.

And where to buy!

thanks.

Edit, I think Hatchimo might be ok for the girl, but the boy???

As an oul auntie with no young kids, could some kind soul tell me what the rage is now for five yr old girls and three yr old boys please.

And where to buy!

thanks.

Well my son who is 3 this January is obsessed with blaze and the monster machines (they've a huge range of toys for them in smyths) and also paw patrol is a huge hit with him. He is 100% the biggest disney cars fan, and loves all the cars from the movie, so I guess anything like that. Boys that age are quite easy. Lego duplo is always a good bet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Well my son who is 3 this January is obsessed with blaze and the monster machines (they've a huge range of toys for them in smyths) and also paw patrol is a huge hit with him. He is 100% the biggest disney cars fan, and loves all the cars from the movie, so I guess anything like that. Boys that age are quite easy. Lego duplo is always a good bet too.

Thanks so much!

I did ask the parents, but their answer is always "ah anything will do, no bother", which is kind of them but no help either!

Thanks so much!

I did ask the parents, but their answer is always "ah anything will do, no bother", which is kind of them but no help either!

Oh I like to be specific, and I love when people ask what the child wants/likes/needs, not every child is the same, they may already have it, have too much stuff, want clothes or books instead, or even a voucher. So yeah, those toys in my opinion are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I have a nearly 5yo boy, Aldi have wooden market stalls this Thursday, and I'm tempted to buy it because I know he would get a great kick out of it, even though he's probably a foot too tall for it by now. He loves any imaginative play like that, he got a toy shop a couple of years ago, and it went down a storm!
    Train sets are also popular with the smallies!
    He also loves blaze at the moment, but I findtv related stuff like that very transient- by February he might never look it it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

And where to buy!

thanks.

Depending I how much you want to spend my son absolutely ADORES the imaginext stuff from fisher price. He will be 4 next month but we started getting it for him a year ago. His nana got him the fire station from smyths which is always played with whenever he visits nana (we go there every second day and he just loves taking it out!). I got him the boat from Argos which was a big hit aswell. There's a lot of things they can do with them and he likes opening all the trap doors and putting all the fire men in their beds etc. We have a few of the sets and they are great! There's a few half price on toys r us at the minute aswell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

And where to buy!

thanks.

My 3 year old boy is in to trains,trucks and play doh and lego.
    My 5 year old girl loves my little pony,playdoh and lego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Splishsplash

Thanks
    Aiden

Ken blacks in Kilkenny had a good few there in a corner if that's any good not sure what part of the country youre in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I see there's assholes on adverts.ie selling Hatchimals for €120 and upwards. If anyone is looking for one keep an eye on the Smyths website, they occasionally appear as being available to pre-order and you can nab one then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭appledrop

Our little boy is 5mths +adores his playmat + also his Laurie the lamb that you can lie him in + he plays with the toys. Now the baby may already have these if so I'd go with the stacking cups as suggested or mothercare have a little ball pit from 6mths + that Santa will be bring our little guy for Christmas.

My 3 year old nephew is spiderman mad + so were our other nephews around this age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Thanks
    Aiden

I got a couple for the kids here. Still in stock and only took 4 days to deliver. Think delivery was about 15 euro. And No its not German speaking :D they only have one language.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004P66CA2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭DaisyDLady

There available for pre order @€;79.99 on smyths right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

Hi, did they deliver direct to Ireland or did you have to use a Parcel Motel type service?
    0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I got a couple for the kids here. Still in stock and only took 4 days to deliver. Think delivery was about 15 euro. And No its not German speaking :D they only have one language.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004P66CA2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Advertisement