Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Aran Islands plant IDs please

• 08-12-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

Over on Inis Mór during summer, I saw quite a lot of both of these, if you could i.d. please. The first is more or less prostrate on the limsteone ground, while the second grows to over 1m high. Is the second some kind of escaped garlic?
    Thanks.
    Apologies if I'm in the wrong place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

First one looks like Burnet rose and the second looks like Babington's leek although the colour is deeper than the version I grow, it can be propagated by planting the bulbils produced in the flower head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The first is definitely a variety of rose the second looks like some kind of Allium.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Thanks folks,
    What surprises me about the Burnet Rose, which it certainly does look like now I've looked it up, is that I took the photos in mid summer when this should be flowering, but none had flowers.
    Babington's Leek certainly looks correct for the second. Commonish along tracks and byways on Inis Mór.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Burnet rose, yes, for the first one. The flowers are often sparse and occasional and the hips can be quite dark, too.

Second is either Babington's Leek - or possibly Crow Garlic - but the former is more typically very tall and coastal and a known inhabitant of the area.

http://www.wildflowersofireland.net/plant_detail.php?id_flower=508

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

Connacht wrote: »
    Thanks folks,
    What surprises me about the Burnet Rose, which it certainly does look like now I've looked it up, is that I took the photos in mid summer when this should be flowering, but none had flowers.

I have been to the Aran islands a number of times and find that the mild climate there from being close to the sea makes flowering season a bit different than other places.

• Advertisement
Advertisement