Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 27

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

danrua01 wrote: »

My TA: my gf doesn't like the film Airplane!

Is her name Shirley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

That's actually a common reaction to a miscarriage I think. People telling you there'll be other times or that it wasn't the right time or that it's natures way of getting rid of something that wasn't perfect.

I know, but they don't need to say it to the faces of parents who are grieving the loss of their baby. They don't see the baby they lost as a non-viable foetus or an attempt that can be done again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Is her name Shirley?

No, but it looks like she chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think it's kind acute.

I find it obtuse myself

efb wrote: »
    I find it obtuse myself

Which reminds me of another TA. When people pronounce obtuse as "ob-toose" instead of "ob-chewss".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I missed you guys. I was happy to be back this morning.

TA: forming weird emotional bonds with online people I've never met :(

We should have a TA meet up. We can all sit around with faces liked slapped arses. We can play Guess Who the grumpy c**t beside you is. That would be fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I know, but they don't need to say it to the faces of parents who are grieving the loss of their baby. They don't see the baby they lost as a non-viable foetus or an attempt that can be done again :(

That's what I meant - it's a common reaction, saying it to someone as if it's some kind of comfort

That's what I meant - it's a common reaction, saying it to someone as if it's some kind of comfort

It's just so weird that people might think this is a comforting thing to say... "Oh, well you know, you could've given birth to the spawn of Satan!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

My trivial annoyance is this:
    Getting attached to something- for example, a favorite perfume or shade of lipstick, etc- only for said item to be discontinued.
    I have a tiny dribble of a gorgeous perfume my mother gifted me a few years ago and after searching everywhere to find a replacement bottle, I was dismayed and annoyed to find it had been discontinued.
    (It was this perfume FYI)
    I went onto the maker's Facebook and politely asked why they shelved it.
    "We discontinued this scent to make room for other fabulous products! Try something new from our extensive range!" was the reply I got.
    But I don't want something new! I liked the old one! Bring it back, I say! :(
    Incidently, I saw the perfume in question going for over €100 on eBay but it was already opened and used. :(
    Between this and the lovely range of Harajuku Lovers perfumes, all my favorite scents are becoming obsolete. I swear to the noodly one that if they stop making Lady Gaga's Fame perfume I'll lose all will to live.
    It's a first world problem, sure, but I do like to smell nice! :(

If ever Old Spice is scrapped, I am going to jump off a cliff....

• Advertisement

I have a bottle of that at home mc chubbin, I hate it so it's practically brand new. (Maybe used twice). I'll have a look and if I find it you can have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm using Mr Pumpkinseeds thigh as a mousemat and he keeps fidgeting so the pointer keeps jumping all over the screen.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I'm using Mr Pumpkinseeds thigh as a mousemat and he keeps fidgeting so the pointer keeps jumping all over the screen.:mad:

Get him to put his trousers on.....:D

Those crazy lunatics who call themselves Pro-Lifers. I would consider myself pro life. I personally wouldn't have an abortion. But that's just me and I wouldn't judge, or have much of an opinion on a woman who would have or have had an abortion. It's none of my business.

On Saturday, after the court (who should have no business deciding things like this) decided to let the doctors turn the dead lady's machine off, some pro life website popped up on my news feed berating ireland for not giving the baby a fair chance, berating the doctors but worst of all, berating the womans family for not wanting a grandchild and obviously not loving their daughter enough.

Most of these people commenting, being nasty, seemed to be American. Of course I posted, I wasn't rude, but I went against what they said. I was met with a barrage of abuse, calling me an idiot, stupid, heartless ect. That was grand, water off a ducks back.

Until Sunday when I received a private mail from this older gentleman, demanding to speak to me on the phone to "discuss" an offensive comment. I ignored it and got another message this afternoon, asking me for my phone number, I said no. And then he started saying he's going to find where I work and call my place of employment to talk to my manager. Wtf!!

Those crazy lunatics who call themselves Pro-Lifers. I would consider myself pro life. I personally wouldn't have an abortion. But that's just me and I wouldn't judge, or have much of an opinion on a woman who would have or have had an abortion. It's none of my business.

On Saturday, after the court (who should have no business deciding things like this) decided to let the doctors turn the dead lady's machine off, some pro life website popped up on my news feed berating ireland for not giving the baby a fair chance, berating the doctors but worst of all, berating the womans family for not wanting a grandchild and obviously not loving their daughter enough.

Most of these people commenting, being nasty, seemed to be American. Of course I posted, I wasn't rude, but I went against what they said. I was met with a barrage of abuse, calling me an idiot, stupid, heartless ect. That was grand, water off a ducks back.

Until Sunday when I received a private mail from this older gentleman, demanding to speak to me on the phone to "discuss" an offensive comment. I ignored it and got another message this afternoon, asking me for my phone number, I said no. And then he started saying he's going to find where I work and call my place of employment to talk to my manager. Wtf!!

Some people are absolute nutters, tell him I'll talk to him!

You get these kind of extremes on both sides. They are best left ignored. With any luck they'll burn themselves out with their own spite and hatred. Also, I too am pro-life but a read of the judgment sums it all up tbh - there is no way that baby would have survived and the media did not report all the harrowing details of that poor woman's condition. :( Reminds me of a similar TA wrt animal rights activists. Again, I support animal rights and attend peacefeul demonstrations and lobby politicians etc but there are some "activists" that really should be shot. The kind that spit on old ladies coming out of Barnardos furs and chain themselves to trees and accuse people who eat meat of being the spawn of satan. Morons :(

On the Cooking thread, there was a mention of extreme veggie types who would not eat figs, because fig pollination requires the death of a wasp.....now thats extreme.

That and the "I don't eat meat, except for burgers" brigade.

• Advertisement

Lol my bunch of happy saps family just accidentally video called me by mistake. Dad's the greatest technospa I know, yet he inadvertently video called me. Cue the both of them gawking into the screen and appearing like back of the spoon images. Then the, "hold on til we show your brother!", running down the hall to wake him up to show him what his sister of 30 years looks like. Then the dog, "look can you see her?!", they screech as the poor dumb animal backs away from the phone. "It's Mommy ONW!". Then the three of them gawking at me again, "are you in work? It doesn't look like you're in work! Show us your desk!" Ah ffs....

I love them really. There'll come a day when I'd love to get a video call from them all :(

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    On the Cooking thread, there was a mention of extreme veggie types who would not eat figs, because fig pollination requires the death of a wasp.....now thats extreme.

That and the "I don't eat meat, except for burgers" brigade.

"I'm a vegetarian...except for fish"

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

When someone gets on the bus and starts opening/closing windows before sitting themselves down. If they asked other passengers first I wouldn't mind, it just when they decide that they want the environment their particular way and don't care what other passengers think.

grundie wrote: »
    When someone gets on the bus and starts opening/closing windows before sitting themselves down. If they asked other passengers first I wouldn't mind, it just when they decide that they want the environment their particular way and don't care what other passengers think.

Yes! And also, opening a window beside them has f.uck all effect on them anyway. If the had to sit a few seats up or down from the window they just opened they'd know all about it :(

I have a bottle of that at home mc chubbin, I hate it so it's practically brand new. (Maybe used twice). I'll have a look and if I find it you can have it
    Fantastic! If you find it, fire off a PM so we can arrange postage. :D
    Don't understand why you'd hate it, though. It's lovely. Granted, everyone's entitled to have different tastes. :/

TA at the moment: I have too many books piling up, unread, on my desk. I swore to myself when I got my Kindle that my days of risking my bookcase collasping on top of me would be over but no- I simply can't resist a good bargain in Easons. It also doesn't help that one of my mother's friend's daughters works in the shop's warehouse and can get me virtually any book I want with her 25% staff discount. It's a blessing because I love to read but a curse when I can't decide what to read first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I hate procrastinating reading

I've got 11 books to read :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I love asking for the vegetarian breakfast, with two sausages. The puzzled look I get is priceless. The veggie breakfasts are lovely, lots of nice stuff that's not in the full Irish. It's the best of both worlds ;)

One of my kids got a book for my birthday, which I already have on my Kindle, so I thought I will take it back to the shop to change it. No receipt, and the aul one on the shop is a bit of a wagon, so I go in, all prepared for battle, and I explain the situation, the aul one pipes up with "No problem, swap for another one and if you don't see anything you like, we can give you a refund".....balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

czechlin wrote:
    People having their birthdays right before, during and after Christmas. I know it's not their fault but FECK!!!

same as feckers that choose to have their weddings around Xmas

• Advertisement

Same... got a good couple of books for Christmas, didn't know which to start first, now I want to read several all at once...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

same as feckers that choose to have their weddings around Xmas

Or that virtually everyone appears to have decided that this xmas is the one to get engaged on

I must have seriously missed the memo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Ugh, pro lifers like that are awful Lexie. What a dick! Why is it always old men as well? Why do they get to decide what happens to my body? I was at Galway cathedral the other day and there were two oul men in flat caps standing outside collecting money for a pro life charity. I'm standing there obviously pregnant and holding my toddlers hand so of course they make a beeline for me thinking I'd be on board. Had to tell them to feck off - my husband was not happy either.

I have so many more TAs from my charming father in law. I have turned into such an irritable, petty woman! Today he spread jam on toast, then covered it with scrambled eggs and ate it. Wtf? Also every sentence he says ends in man or eh. And today we went for a drive and for 2 hours he read out every sign and signpost as we drove past it.

I going out of my mind over ridiculous things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

*Sigh. We're Pescetarians, but if we describe ourselves as that people think we're pretentious, so we say we're vegetarians. Then the veggies hate us for eating fish and the carnivores take the piss because we eat fish but not meat or fowl. Sometimes ya just can't catch a break.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,225 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Fcuking footpaths like greasy floor tiles for the next two months! :mad:

I'm getting myself one of those zimmer frame wheelie things and I don't care how stupid I look, it has to be better than breaking my back when I slip or tripping out underneath a car when I'm getting ready at a zebra crossing to step off the footpath (fair play to the driver he'd his wits about him, unlike the two who had already gone bumper to bumper and were parked up inspecting the damage).

It's absolute mayhem on the roads in this weather and will be with frost and icy roads for the next two months anyway! :(

grundie wrote: »

I want to clam the windows on their fingers when they do that :mad::mad:

And yer man thats hasslin you Lexie, give him my number, Id be in right form for some coont like that now :) I'd streel him up an down the street like a fish wife

Im in a really crabby cranky mood today, like a bag of cats :(:o

• Advertisement

Woshy wrote: »

I have so many more TAs from my charming father in law. I have turned into such an irritable, petty woman! Today he spread jam on toast, then covered it with scrambled eggs and ate it. Wtf? Also every sentence he says ends in man or eh. And today we went for a drive and for 2 hours he read out every sign and signpost as we drove past it.

I going out of my mind over ridiculous things!

is he still wearing the Jerusalem cruisers with socks

*Sigh. We're Pescetarians, but if we describe ourselves as that people think we're pretentious, so we say we're vegetarians. Then the veggies hate us for eating fish and the carnivores take the piss because we eat fish but not meat or fowl. Sometimes ya just can't catch a break.:(

Pescerarians is it? Pesky varmints , more like !!

( Only Joking Pumpkinseeds)

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

A UPC outage is annoying me this evening. No internet (except 3G on the phone) so no netflix, no home phone and no TV.
    Back to DVDs it is!
    Edit: I suppose I could read a book, or even talk to Mrs. Elf...

Went to take a shower and discovered my mother has dipped into my tiny wee pot of scrubby exfoliating stuff.
    She has a metric feckton of her own stuff (posh too!) so why is she using my tiny travel/sample sized pot?
    "Oh, I just wanted to see if it was as good as my stuff. You always get the bargains!"
    Urrrgh.
    Stop using my stuff or at least have the common courtsey to ask first! Sheesh!

I left work early to go look in the sales and find something to wear for my big night out tomorrow night. Oh right. Do you think I could find anything? I picked up a jumper in river island. When I tried it on the jumper finished at the back of my knee. It looked more like a dress. Then I tried on this really nice orange dress, which would have been perfect if the horrid chiffon panels weren't draping down to the ground like a pair of curtains. It was also about 9 inches too long so even with heels Id likely trip myself up or rip the ends of it.

Could find absolutely nothing to wear except for this assemetrical black and white dress, that if I wear tomorrow night people will be expecting me to set up a table and start doing their taxes.

Even the bras in debenhams were rotten and my size has changed again. I've never been so wound up after a shopping trip. Everything was really ugly and everywhere looked like a bomb hit it.

• Advertisement

And whats with all the batwing short sleeved jumpers?

FFS, I want to keep my arms warm, not leap from buildings

I tried on a wonderbra, seriously how are they popular? I could rest my chin on them. I could motorboat myself. They looked photoshopped on my body. I tried on a top over it and it was a horrific sight. Either I'm getting old or wonderbra is better off left in the 90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I tried on a wonderbra, seriously how are they popular? I could rest my chin on them. I could motorboat myself. They looked photoshopped on my body. I tried on a top over it and it was a horrific sight. Either I'm getting old or wonderbra is better off left in the 90s

because bewbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

My O.H is a manager in a private place, 2nd to the owner, all the staff are told to keep 5 days annual leave to cover the two weeks over Christmas/New Year, BUT owner decided not to open on Friday 2nd, and DEDUCTED a days pay from everyone that didn't have 6 days left (no one did), Owner left on her holls on the Wednesday and left my O.H to face the flack, but she got shortshifted too, lost the days pay an has no explanation for the staff, Owner also didn't put the wages thru till after 6pm on Christmas Eve, So this in my O.H's T.A, Is this one a Grinch or just a Christmas Cnut??? I told her get the staff on Monday to stay outside until this is cleared up and/or staff is paid,

selous wrote: »
    My O.H is a manager in a private place, 2nd to the owner, all the staff are told to keep 5 days annual leave to cover the two weeks over Christmas/New Year, BUT owner decided not to open on Friday 2nd, and DEDUCTED a days pay from everyone that didn't have 6 days left (no one did), Owner left on her holls on the Wednesday and left my O.H to face the flack, but she got shortshifted too, lost the days pay an has no explanation for the staff, Owner also didn't put the wages thru till after 6pm on Christmas Eve, So this in my O.H's T.A, Is this one a Grinch or just a Christmas Cnut??? I told her get the staff on Monday to stay outside until this is cleared up and/or staff is paid,

She's the second option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

When you meet someone who you want to have a good stalk of on Facebook but they have a really common name and are impossible to find!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Vel wrote: »
    When you meet someone who you want to have a good stalk of on Facebook but they have a really common name and are impossible to find!

this is where mutual friends/nightclubs they go to come in;)

*ive a few awlful stalker relations///who tell me there methods

Just realised today that the book and stationary shop is called 'Eason' and not 'Easons'

It will always be Easons to me.

Having an interesting dream, someone's just about to tell you something when the alarm goes off and now you'll never know what was about to be said

When you wake up from a great dream, and you are reliving it in your head, and then suddenly, just like that, in a flash and for no apparent reason, you can't recall it anymore :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Vel wrote: »
    Just realised today that the book and stationary shop is called 'Eason' and not 'Easons'

It will always be Easons to me.

Eason & Sons so they're Easons

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement