Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 27

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Going downstairs in the dark to see a ghostly shape.... my semi feral has somehow got in.. waiting for my depleted sense of smell to wake up but I fear the worst..:( He went straight to the back door to exit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Friend meant to be bringing me to train station cause OH had to stay with his parents last night and I can't drive because of the fits. Friend is like yeah yeah don't worry I'll bring you, he's 15 mins late and my train leaves in like 4 minutes and were about 10 mins from station

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Friend meant to be bringing me to train station cause OH had to stay with his parents last night and I can't drive because of the fits. Friend is like yeah yeah don't worry I'll bring you, he's 15 mins late and my train leaves in like 4 minutes and were about 10 mins from station

I hate that. I gave my friend a lift to work a few times, told him to be ready at a specific time and no go. He made us two late, and in turn, my girlfriend.

Nothing worse than a late girlfriend! :D

Let's hope that doesn't happen in the near future......................:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

I went to Aldi and came back with a puppy. She was wandering around the shop with staff and security trying to get her out. She was soaking wet, dirty and shaking. She's really underweight too.

I asked staff did they know who owned her and they said she's been in before for the heat and shelter. Then the owner comes in days later knowing she goes there. But they just put her outside again and she wanders around the carpark overnight and everything. They said the owner got her for Christmas and is a bit rough, I left my number to give to the owner if he comes in, but they said I should just keep her because she's going to starve/freeze to death otherwise.

So now I have another dog, and I feel like a thief but I don't want to give her back :( she's so gentle and sweet!!

Good luck with the new puppy and fair play to you for taking her in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The thoughts of which made many a young man shudder.

Filth in a house! I called to a house last night and on entering the hall was met by filth. Not dusty or untidy but filthy. Floors stained from pet doings. Kitchen units piled with encrusted saucepans and you'd stick to the floor. Apologies all round as things got out of hand over Christmas! This dirt was older than Christmas. The householder is in their late 60s and has a daughter living next door.
    How can people live like this? The same person is well fit to keep the place clean.

Scrameen I used to live in a house with 5 boys, and there was a guy I was knocking about with at the time who would absolutely refuse to get into the shower, because the house was so filthy, and the bathroom so manky. We had a hot tub that people rode in, vomitted in and washed the dog in. We had a jacuzzi that one housemate dumped horse **** in, pots that the landlord fed the dogs (on rare occasions) out of. Valium, bags of coke, weed littered all over the place, they never washed the floor but would "tidy up" after a house party. And by tidy up, I mean, move the bottles from inside to outside the back door.

They also had an empty bottle of grey goose vodka that they filled up with water from the hot tub, so that some drunk strangers at the house parties would steal and drink. I'm not sure how they didn't all die from E. coli.

I cleaned the oven when I lived there because you couldn't put anything into it it was so filthy, took me two days and then the landlord told me he didn't know you could clean ovens. Microwave plate had blue mould on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

This may be controversial and/or mean, but I am so sick of sitting beside fat people on the Luas who spill out of their seats and encroach into mine. I was pressed against the window for most of my journey home yesterday because some massive guy was too big to fit into the confines of the seat. If you don't fit the seat, stand, or else position yourself so that a huge proportion of your body is not touching off a stranger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Zemuppet wrote: »
    People who don't have their change ready for the bus, mostly women. Christ people, either have the change ready or get a leap card. These are the same twats who take ages in the quene at the shops

*twitch*

Jake1 wrote: »
    Have to be honest, Im not too keen on BIg Branded ' Luxury Goods'
    Logos, hate Logos.

In particular,I hate those Godawful Brown Louis Vuitton bags. They look like old lino FSS, dont go with any outfit, ( unless it was brown or beige )

Dont get me wrong I love luxury as mush as the next, ( cant afford it tho :( ), but I like it to whisper, rather than shout

Id be damned me paying money to advertise some firms name.

They should be paying me;):p

Me too. Bought some DKNY stuff a few years back when I was going to Brazil (much to OH's dismay - "you're asking to be robbed!") but anyway, the stuff fell off. Rags is all they were :rolleyes: I hate designer goods that have the name in big letters too. Crass. Much better to have a sense of style. There's nothing worse than seeing idiots shuffling around with Uggs that have worn away at the heel :( I have a couple of designer things but because I know them to be good brands. Hunter wellies for example. Can't live without them! Got a shiny new pair for Christmas and mum looked at me like I had two heads when I wore them out walking with the dogs. "They're only new!" she said in dismay. But they are for wearing. They're not a fashion statement. I know someone who fell in love with them when she saw mine so she ran out and bought a pair. For what? She doesn't go hill-walking or walking in the forest/with dogs. Why would she need a pair of wellies? She teams them with little skirts and wears them to the city centre. Ffs :rolleyes: My wellies are at home caked in mud, because they are wellies :o Same with bags. Usually buy Fossil because they stand the test of time.

I know a real tight fisted b.itch (the kind who drinks tap water when she's out and comes over for dinner bearing a can of coke for herself), who spends a fortune on designer stuff. She bough a LV bag a while ago and I (genuinely not trying to be b.itchy!) commented on how real looking it was and asked her which stall she got it on! oops :P

I went to Aldi and came back with a puppy. She was wandering around the shop with staff and security trying to get her out. She was soaking wet, dirty and shaking. She's really underweight too.

I asked staff did they know who owned her and they said she's been in before for the heat and shelter. Then the owner comes in days later knowing she goes there. But they just put her outside again and she wanders around the carpark overnight and everything. They said the owner got her for Christmas and is a bit rough, I left my number to give to the owner if he comes in, but they said I should just keep her because she's going to starve/freeze to death otherwise.

So now I have another dog, and I feel like a thief but I don't want to give her back :( she's so gentle and sweet!!

You're my hero! Ps please don't give her back! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,225 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Hunter wellies for example. Can't live without them! Got a shiny new pair for Christmas and mum looked at me like I had two heads when I wore them out walking with the dogs. "They're only new!" she said in dismay. But they are for wearing. They're not a fashion statement. I know someone who fell in love with them when she saw mine so she ran out and bought a pair. For what? She doesn't go hill-walking or walking in the forest/with dogs. Why would she need a pair of wellies? She teams them with little skirts and wears them to the city centre. Ffs :rolleyes: My wellies are at home caked in mud, because they are wellies :o Same with bags. Usually buy Fossil because they stand the test of time.

Had a quick google there (who knew one could be so discerning about, ahem... wellies! :p), they do look a bit "posh totty" alroysh, I guess when something is designer quality, you just "know" :D

I know a real tight fisted b.itch (the kind who drinks tap water when she's out and comes over for dinner bearing a can of coke for herself), who spends a fortune on designer stuff. She bough a LV bag a while ago and I (genuinely not trying to be b.itchy!) commented on how real looking it was and asked her which stall she got it on! oops :P

Awkward! :pac:

ONW what do you think of hunter? I'm thinking about getting a pair because my other ones are knackered, but I'm a bit "eh" about spending that kind of money on them. Do they keep your feet warm or are they typical wellies that would have your feet frozen? My dad had a pair that were fleece lined inside, and I'm wondering if those were better? The pair I have now are really pretty but the heel cracked so when I wear them my feet are frozen.

On designer stuff, I love Christian louboutin shoes. I have a couple of really special pairs of shoes, and I honestly have no problem spending that much on them because they are amazing. I don't smoke or go out much or have expensive hobbies so feck it. I think shoes are an art, and art is an investment. But, I don't discriminate. I have well over 100 pairs of heels, and I have 6 pairs of designers. The rest of them would be a mix of Aldo, office, barretts (RIP) and pennies, river island, and dune/faith. I get a lot of my shoes in sales.

I don't care much for designer bags or bags in general. I don't have many handbags, maybe 20 at most. Any designer (Chanel (1) coach (2) juicy couture (cringe) Michael kors (2) ) I have been given as presents. I bought one juicy couture back in 09 but the rest were presents.

I own no designer clothes. unless my hangover pants are designer, (Nike fat man pants). Most of my clothes are either asos river Island or pennies

ONW what do you think of hunter? I'm thinking about getting a pair because my other ones are knackered, but I'm a bit "eh" about spending that kind of money on them. Do they keep your feet warm or are they typical wellies that would have your feet frozen? My dad had a pair that were fleece lined inside, and I'm wondering if those were better? The pair I have now are really pretty but the heel cracked so when I wear them my feet are frozen.

I love them. As designer goes, they're no prohibitively expensive. Around €130, although I think BT had them reduced before Christmas. What I love about them is that they are so lightweight while still being hard wearing. I had my last pair for 3 years. And I used them a lot in that time. Don't feel the cold in them at all. They're made a little bigger to allow for the addition of Hunter socks (cute little fleece/wool socks that turn down over the top of the boot). Though I've never had to wear special socks with them. The new ones I got have an an adjustable buckle on the back for differing calf sizes. I don't feel bad spending money on them. I went through so many cheap pairs before I decided to bite the bullet!

Vel wrote: »
    This may be controversial and/or mean, but I am so sick of sitting beside fat people on the Luas who spill out of their seats and encroach into mine. I was pressed against the window for most of my journey home yesterday because some massive guy was too big to fit into the confines of the seat. If you don't fit the seat, stand, or else position yourself so that a huge proportion of your body is not touching off a stranger

What really gets me is the mould that flies out from their fat crevices when they phlump onto the seats. They should pay for every seat or part thereof that they occupy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

What really gets me is the mould that flies out from their fat crevices when they phlump onto the seats. They should pay for every seat or part thereof that they occupy.

That so describes it!

It's even worse when they are the busy type. The guy yesterday was faffing around with bags, on his phone, taking coats on and off so not only was I being forced to give over 1/4 of my seat while squashed into the window, he was also flapping around and elbowing me every few minutes. I was seriously about to lose it but managed to stop myself. And then he made no effort whatsoever to move even a inch for me when I wanted by get off, so I was forced to make yet more bodily contact with him. I hope he chokes on his next XXXXL Big Mac meal:pac:

Vel wrote: »
    That so describes it!

It's even worse when they are the busy type. The guy yesterday was faffing around with bags, on his phone, taking coats on and off so not only was I being forced to give over 1/4 of my seat while squashed into the window, he was also flapping around and elbowing me every few minutes. I was seriously about to lose it but managed to stop myself. And then he made no effort whatsoever to move even a inch for me when I wanted by get off, so I was forced to make yet more bodily contact with him. I hope he chokes on his next XXXXL Big Mac meal:pac:

He probably has big bones, or it's glandular or or or ....um.... :rolleyes::rolleyes: I saw what can only be described as a truck of a woman in Lidl last night pushing around a trolley full of tomatoes, low fat yoghurts and lettuce. The big self-righteous look on her face as I skurried past with a bottle of wine and a frozen dessert and a bumper pack of ham for my cats :P

• Advertisement

Love seeing that in supermarkets. They take out their lettuce, their low fat milk, their low low cheese, their weight watchers ready meals, their low fat yogurts, their multipack of walkers, two pringles, 2 litre of diet coke, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I'm not one to be judging anyone's diet but at least mine is consistently ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Love seeing that in supermarkets. They take out their lettuce, their low fat milk, their low low cheese, their weight watchers ready meals, their low fat yogurts, their multipack of walkers, two pringles, 2 litre of diet coke, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I'm not one to be judging anyone's diet but at least mine is consistently ****

I'd rather live on crisps and coke than on reduced fat additive-saturated gloop and WW ready meals full of salt!!
    Full fat versions are better, just have less of them!
    (Source: I may be trying to reverse the Christmas Waist Expansion)

I twisted my thumb today in the gym. Feels slightly sprained.

Sometimes I like being bendy (;)), other times it's a pain in the everything because I can get injured so frickin' easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I twisted my thumb today in the gym. Feels slightly sprained.

Sometimes I like being bendy (;)), other times it's a pain in the everything because I can get injured so frickin' easily.

Doing full-body press-ups on your thumbs, like some crazy Shaolin dudette, were ya?? :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Been there a few times, only 2 reported cases where the lateness lasted :D

My TA. Females that tell you they are late, but the insist that they are ALWAYS regular as clockwork.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Doing full-body press-ups on your thumbs, like some crazy Shaolin dudette, were ya?? :D

Yep, got to 719 before the thumb gave up.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Been there a few times, only 2 reported cases where the lateness lasted :D

My TA. Females that tell you they are late, but the insist that they are ALWAYS regular as clockwork.

My OH knows my cycle better than I do. He would realise I was late before I would. That's fair creepy now that I mention it

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My OH knows my cycle better than I do. He would realise I was late before I would. That's fair creepy now that I mention it

I know when Mrs. Baps is coming as well, it's the very minor subtle shift in personality from being awesome to f*cking batsh*t and demands of pizza.
    Hardly noticible at all to the untrained.

I love them. As designer goes, they're no prohibitively expensive. Around €130, although I think BT had them reduced before Christmas. What I love about them is that they are so lightweight while still being hard wearing. I had my last pair for 3 years. And I used them a lot in that time. Don't feel the cold in them at all. They're made a little bigger to allow for the addition of Hunter socks (cute little fleece/wool socks that turn down over the top of the boot). Though I've never had to wear special socks with them. The new ones I got have an an adjustable buckle on the back for differing calf sizes. I don't feel bad spending money on them. I went through so many cheap pairs before I decided to bite the bullet!

You are all talking a foreign language... the only foot wear I own are green garden clogs... I am only away from home maybe once a week and the lane is deep in mud so I gave up on shoes after ruining several pairs...no bags either...

Am reminded of a market trader who boasted in a loud voice of selling "a genuine chanel copy!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I know when Mrs. Baps is coming as well, it's the very minor subtle shift in personality from being awesome to f*cking batsh*t and demands of pizza.
    Hardly noticible at all to the untrained.

Do you indeed, what gives it away? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Is he a bike mechanic?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    You are all talking a foreign language... the only foot wear I own are green garden clogs... I am only away from home maybe once a week and the lane is deep in mud so I gave up on shoes after ruining several pairs...no bags either...

Am reminded of a market trader who boasted in a loud voice of selling "a genuine chanel copy!"

Decent footwear, and plenty of it, is essential. I don't really take a blind bit of notice of all this "designer" malarkey, but the last few years I've been wearing Kinsale and DuBarry boat-shoes. The latter are bowel-evacuatingly expensive but they really are things of beauty. For heavy 'dozing I have a pair of Heuger engineer's boots with more steel in them than the Forth Bridge. Outstanding value at €50 from a builder's providers. I demonstrated these to Mrs. Goose's horror last year by repeatedly dropping a 10lb. sledgehammer on the toe and seeing it bounce harmlessly off. :pac:

Is he a bike mechanic?

Depends on what sort of "bike" you mean!

Been there when our family was growing. It stems from pure fear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

And now having listened to her talking BULL**** about her "healthy snack" she's wolfing down a chocolate bar. FOOKING KNACKER.

Decent footwear, and plenty of it, is essential. I don't really take a blind bit of notice of all this "designer" malarkey, but the last few years I've been wearing Kinsale and DuBarry boat-shoes. The latter are bowel-evacuatingly expensive but they really are things of beauty. For heavy 'dozing I have a pair of Heuger engineer's boots with more steel in them than the Forth Bridge. Outstanding value at €50 from a builder's providers. I demonstrated these to Mrs. Goose's horror last year by repeatedly dropping a 10lb. sledgehammer on the toe and seeing it bounce harmlessly off. :pac:

Well I do fine with what I have! Which given the prices of shoes is just as well.. I keep an eye on any Thrift Shops I am in. I look at eg boots in Dunnes but they are not waterproof so no use to me. Oh and I do have a pair of wellies. My feet are happy and comfortable and so am I

It's foreign to me too! I've no interest in shoes and bags or fancy labels. I buy the best quality stuff I can afford and look after it so it lasts. I hate things with logos on them.

I've a "Russell Athletic" hoodie and a "NUI Galway" one and that's about as logo-y as I get... :pac:

I'm not really a "dressy" person so I seldom have reason to wear "nice" shoes, so I live in ankle boots or trainers.

Dratted cat.. just sat on the modem as it is lovely and warm and of course disconnected it ..the world went dark!

Depends on what sort of "bike" you mean!

<SNORK> :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

And now having listened to her talking BULL**** about her "healthy snack" she's wolfing down a chocolate bar. FOOKING KNACKER.

If someone said to you "man you are eating so loudly", don't you think you would be sufficiently embarrassed to SHUT YOUR MOUTH? Apparently not.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    It's foreign to me too! I've no interest in shoes and bags or fancy labels. I buy the best quality stuff I can afford and look after it so it lasts. I hate things with logos on them.

I've a "Russell Athletic" hoodie and a "NUI Galway" one and that's about as logo-y as I get... :pac:

I'm not really a "dressy" person so I seldom have reason to wear "nice" shoes, so I live in ankle boots or trainers.

Like many old wans or on welfare I shop at Vincent de Paul or similar...grand choice and it helps their work. Got three fleece tops at E1 each

• Advertisement

This is the only "branded" item of clothing I own:

https://flic.kr/p/8Ar33S

:pac:

Good footwear, and footwear suited to the occasion, is crital. It's not rocket science to have boots in the car for muddy conditions and decent shoes for town. Going a journey I'll wear driving shoes so as not to damage the dress shoes. Dress shoes for town or mass, walking shoes for the road, hiking boots for the mountain, wellies for the garden or the bog road etc.
    Clogs lead to tripping. Safer to have the appropriate footwear and it doesn't have to be designer or expensive gear.

Like many old wans or on welfare I shop at Vincent de Paul or similar...grand choice and it helps their work. Got three fleece tops at E1 each

Nothing wrong with that! You can pick up some great quality stuff in there for next to nothing, often good as new.

Hollister are the worst ones for that kinda craic.

Sorry I meant H O L L I S T E R

Nothing wrong with that! You can pick up some great quality stuff in there for next to nothing, often good as new.

'Cept most of those shops smell funny. :pac:

Green garden clogs would not be much good to me walking uphills, through forests with the dogs, mucking out in neighbour's farm etc. My boots are an investment. :)

Is that not true! partly old clothes and partly that the good ladies who volunteer and wash the clothes dunk them in stinky conditioner. One sniff starts me wheezing and I have to wash and wash everything and then leave it out out he line in the rain. It is the coats that smell so bad

They do, all right. Probably from damp wardrobe clearouts.

I used to get great stuff out of them when I was in college, sometimes unworn, with labels still attached, but since the recession everyone's going into them. These days, if you're prepared to rummage, you can get good stuff, but I don't have the patience any more!

Green garden clogs would not be much good to me walking uphills, thorugh forests with the dogs, mucking out in neighbour's farm etc. My boots are an investment. :)

Well I don't do any of those things. Which is;) as well as I could not afford more than wellies ;) The clogs are fine for town and when I manage a short walk on a beach etc.

• Advertisement

Well I do fine with what I have! Which given the prices of shoes is just as well.. I keep an eye on any Thrift Shops I am in. I look at eg boots in Dunnes but they are not waterproof so no use to me. Oh and I do have a pair of wellies. My feet are happy and comfortable and so am I

In fairness, I was talking about the boots and bags from a functional point of view. As I said, my boots are at home caked in mud. Very much function over form. I could go to Dunnes and buy a pair for twenty but I have done that many times in the past and it's a false economy because they simply do not last. I am not a label whore, I simply recognise when something suits my needs and is actually cheaper in the long run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement