Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 27

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    In fairness, I was talking about the boots and bags from a functional point of view. As I said, my boots are at home caked in mud. Very much function over form. I could go to Dunnes and buy a pair for twenty but I have done that many times in the past and it's a false economy because they simply do not last. I am not a label whore, I simply recognise when something suits my needs and is actually cheaper in the long run.

Ah, I know! I've got some Timberland and North Face stuff too, but that is good hiking gear - Small logos! - and is splattered in mud most of the time!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Aglomerado wrote: »
    They do, all right. Probably from damp wardrobe clearouts.

I used to get great stuff out of them when I was in college, sometimes unworn, with labels still attached, but since the recession everyone's going into them. These days, if you're prepared to rummage, you can get good stuff, but I don't have the patience any more!

I am planning an out-day on Saturday and factoring in as many charity shops as I can.. three so far! I have a good relationship with one small V de P; I take them books and any oddments that come my way and they save old towels and blankets not good enough to sell for the dogs. All part of a grand day out for me but I am easily pleased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

jimgoose wrote: »
    'Cept most of those shops smell funny. :pac:

I'm reminded of another TA: the way that shop on College Green sprays out geansai loads of lynx africa and practically smothers the poor f.uckers on Dame street waiting for their buses. What is it called? Abercrombie and crotch or something. Morons.

In fairness, I was talking about the boots and bags from a functional point of view. As I said, my boots are at home caked in mud. Very much function over form. I could go to Dunnes and buy a pair for twenty but I have done that many times in the past and it's a false economy because they simply do not last. I am not a label whore, I simply recognise when something suits my needs and is actually cheaper in the long run.

Absolutely re cheap boots. Wellies are grand! Dunnes etc would be a sheer waste of money.

I'm reminded of another TA: the way that shop on College Green sprays out geansai loads of lynx africa and practically smothers the poor f.uckers on Dame street waiting for their buses. What is it called? Abercrombie and crotch or something. Morons.

yukk....I was in the Golf club ay Waterford when I needed free wifi a while ago and their air conditioning emits some stinky stuff.. made me wheeze and took days to get my clothes clean from it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I spin my clothes in Lenor and use those lenor unstoppables in the wash too. Now I'm TA that people think I stink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Graces7 wrote: »
    yukk....I was in the Golf club ay Waterford when I needed free wifi a while ago and their air conditioning emits some stinky stuff.. made me wheeze and took days to get my clothes clean from it..

Anyone who puts anything into a HVAC besides fresh air deserves to be murdered slowly and painfully, twice. Talk about missing the sodding point!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I spin my clothes in Lenor and use those lenor unstoppables in the wash too. Now I'm TA that people think I stink

Lenor smells nice though! It's not overbearing at all. So you're NOT an TA! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

OldNotWise Sweet jebus I had the misfortune a couple of years ago to go into Hollister or Abercomie (all the same to me) to buy the teenage nephew a present.
    It was so dark I needed a torch to see anything and after a 30 minute wait in the queue my eyes were streaming from godawful stench of their cheapass perfume.

MsBubbles wrote: »
    OldNotWise Sweet jebus I had the misfortune a couple of years ago to go into Hollister or Abercomie (all the same to me) to buy the teenage nephew a present.
    It was so dark I needed a torch to see anything and after a 30 minute wait in the queue my eyes were streaming from godawful stench of their cheapass perfume.

Are they spraying it into the aircon? I'd sue the fcukers! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,225 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

:D

*makes mental note to buy new deodorant while I'm at it* :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Same here. I have 2 pairs of Hunter wellies and they were worth every penny. I had to buy a second pair because the first pair were bought pre-leg break and the left one can't accommodate my swollen leg now. They are really comfortable, really hard wearing, waterproof and very supportive.

When I see poser types out wearing Hunter wellies with jeans on a shopping trip I always have a giggle, mine are at home caked in ****. Definitely not a fashion statement.

...When I see poser types out wearing Hunter wellies with jeans on a shopping trip I always have a giggle, mine are at home caked in ****. Definitely not a fashion statement.

Those Ugg boots are still the giddy limit for me. I still ask the odd chungwan where her team of huskies and sled made out of a walrus rib-cage are. Mush!! :pac:

Jimgoose I have no idea I couldn't get out of the place quick enough.
    I love my Uggs :( My feet are always cold in the winter and they keep my feet cosy

Well to me you would! Sorry....MCS here... I avoid any crowded places because of perfumes and conditioners. Many folk would not notice if they use conditioner etc. All I use here is fragrance free non bio powder and simple plain soap so I notice the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Jimgoose I have no idea I couldn't get out of the place quick enough.
    I love my Uggs :( My feet are always cold in the winter and they keep my feet cosy

I love my uggs too. I bought a pair of Sorel boots for myself for Christmas so I could avoid wearing my uggs outside and they are fab. My feet are toasty warm and they're so supportive and comfy

Edit: and I have hunter wellies and they were worth every penny too!

Anyone who puts anything into a HVAC besides fresh air deserves to be murdered slowly and painfully, twice. Talk about missing the sodding point!! :mad:

Probably to hide the stench of good honest sweat when they came in from golf.... oh sorry...." Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glow.." Must go and light the range as almost noon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Sitting on the couch having breakfast this morning. What ever move I made, the corner of the cushion beside me jabbed me straight in the eye. My eye has been blood shot all morning like a Cyclops. It happened hours ago, now I know it's concern but could you please stop asking what happened, give me an upturned plug instead anyday!!

Are they spraying it into the aircon? I'd sue the fcukers! :mad:

If you walk past the store you can smell it outside. I think I might develope an allergic reaction, and get very stressed and then maybe have some PTSD too...hmmmm look at that ch-ching! :P

If you walk past the store you can smell it outside. I think I might develope an allergic reaction, and get very stressed and then maybe have some PTSD too...hmmmm look at that ch-ching! :P

And good enough for them! :D

• Advertisement

Same here. I have 2 pairs of Hunter wellies and they were worth every penny. I had to buy a second pair because the first pair were bought pre-leg break and the left one can't accommodate my swollen leg now. They are really comfortable, really hard wearing, waterproof and very supportive.

When I see poser types out wearing Hunter wellies with jeans on a shopping trip I always have a giggle, mine are at home caked in ****. Definitely not a fashion statement.

Idiots :rolleyes: The only time I wear mine to the shops is if I am out with the dogs and I decide to drive down the shops on the way and too lazy to change. Usually get some odd looks too. Weird mountain girl coming in with mucky boots boy! :) Friend of mine bought a pair in a shop on O'Connell Street (where they are, of course, more expensive) and she got ones with a "nice soft satiny leg" - why?) She gets excited when it rains now because she has an excuse to wear them to work :o I do remember wearing them to exams before. I'd no time for shoe shopping before and as I was walking to the exam hall I wasn't going to wear heels. Got a few strange looks but you know, they were comfy and warm! (and they got me a pass with flying colours!)

...Weird mountain girl coming in with mucky boots boy!...

Heh. I was doing a bit of heavy-ish yard work on New Year's Eve morning and decided to nip out and get my hair cut. The only place open was a salon run by a bloke who does the odd bit of barbering. So there I was, muddy engineer's boots, old britches reeking of diesel and earth, ripped scruffy jumper and about three days stubble, in the middle of all these Dorises waiting for their whatever-it-is-they-have-in-those-places. That was fun - I think most of them thought I was the Yeti! :pac:

Jimgoose I'm surprised you didn't get chatted up by the posh ones looking for a real man ;D

Jimgoose I'm surprised you didn't get chatted up by the posh ones looking for a real man ;D

Only truly posh people don't give a fiddler's about goin' ta town looking like a Kodiak bear. I scrub up reasonably well when appropriate! ;)

When you said Dorises I pictured the man mad wan from Birds of a feather :D

When the f.uck will I get confirmation of my good news? It's just damn well taking the good out of it now!

I used to have a manager with that name. Wagon, she was. Looked like a toothpick with oversized glasses.

Mmm. Mostly late-middle-age wans burning oil. You could see it was costing a few bob to keep them on the road! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that! You can pick up some great quality stuff in there for next to nothing, often good as new.

Absolutely, and most buying are neither old nor on social welfare. Its just normal shopping nowadays. A bargain is a bargain to anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

On the wellie front, Hunter wellies are excellent, try Shuperb UK, you may be surprised at the prices. A good tip for cold feet in wellies is buy them a size larger than normal and use a template to cut a piece of carper to insert in the "foot".

The 20 quid jobs from Pennies etc are ****e and wont last the winter. The likes of Hunter will last years, and will be comfortable.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Probably to hide the stench of good honest sweat when they came in from golf.... oh sorry...." Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glow....

No they stink! Anybody who goes to the public area of a golf club after a round without showering and changing is an disgrace.
    I know of no golfer who doesn't shower after a game and before going to the clubhouse. That's why they have the facilities!

Good honest sweat refers to honest hard work, not to the smell of the bacteria that quickly forms in that sweat afterwards. Yuck!

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    On the wellie front, Hunter wellies are excellent, try Shuperb UK, you may be surprised at the prices. A good tip for cold feet in wellies is buy them a size larger than normal and use a template to cut a piece of carper to insert in the "foot".

The 20 quid jobs from Pennies etc are ****e and wont last the winter. The likes of Hunter will last years, and will be comfortable.

I think I'll just get them. I always go to pennies for mine but they split so easy. I'm on the farm a lot so I need a pair that don't get my feet wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I was walking towards someone this morning on the street and we both moved towards the same spot in order to pass each other by and ended up doing that little dance you do in those situations. To me it's no ones fault and a little smile to acknowledge the situation is usually warranted and is generally what happens. Except this sour faced wagon wasn't one bit impressed and rather than a smile I got a 'fcuk sake get out of my way' and then she shouldered me! Pedestrian rage

Vel wrote: »
    I was walking towards someone this morning on the street and we both moved towards the same spot in order to pass each other by and ended up doing that little dance you do in those situations. To me it's no ones fault and a little smile to acknowledge the situation is usually warranted and is generally what happens. Except this sour faced wagon wasn't one bit impressed and rather than a smile I got a 'fcuk sake get out of my way' and then she shouldered me! Pedestrian rage
    The auld Bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

When you are walking behind someone and attempt to pass them by and they speed up and you end up walking along beside each other. I NEVER give in in those situations. They are either dropping back or we are going to be wandering around town side by side, happy as larry for as long as our journey coincides

• Advertisement

I think I'll just get them. I always go to pennies for mine but they split so easy. I'm on the farm a lot so I need a pair that don't get my feet wet.

Hunters are definitely the way to go then imo. I got three years of hard wearing out of my last ones. I've pm'd you with details of a shop running a promotion with them at the moment (not sure about Boards rules wrt advertising etc.

Sorry about that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

Staff in cafés (and shops) who ask 'Are you okay there?'. I always reply 'Yes, I'm okay..... but I'd like a coffee'
    Whatever happened 'can I help you?'

When you are walking behind someone and attempt to pass them by and they speed up and you end up walking along beside each other. I NEVER give in in those situations. They are either dropping back or we are going to be wandering around town side by side, happy as larry for as long as our journey coincides

Those f.uckers who are walking slowly ahead and then start to veer in a diagonal direction as you speed up to overtake. Then they stop and you have to walk around them. I get furious even typing this.

Staff in cafés (and shops) who ask 'Are you okay there?'. I always reply 'Yes, I'm okay..... but I'd like a coffee'
    Whatever happened 'can I help you?'

I don't know which is more anoying, the question or the answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Hamadeusentman

I don't know which is more anoying, the question or the answer!

Ha, yeah well you catch my drift. I don't always say this but I let it be known that it's sloppy and lazy. Customer service can be very slack in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The fecking child 'huffing' behind me in the shop the other day because the shop assistant was taking too long serving me. I assumed it was an adult doing it so I turned to give the 'glare of death', but it was a child so I just ignored it. Jaysus, the kid was only about 7 but going on 35, no fecking manners these days.

range lit.. played with wee dog a while. She is moody these days, playing poor me and not coming when called. the bassett in her. she knows the collie is failing and wants to stay with her even though all the 8 years they have been together she has never let collie play with her. Poor collie will stand by her yipping and whining to no avail. Strange critters, dogs

Ha, yeah well you catch my drift. I don't always say this but I let it be known that it's sloppy and lazy. Customer service can be very slack in Ireland.

True enough, but customers can be even worse. Is it just Ireland that has the "customer is always right" thing? I hate when staff say this to me in clothes shops, "are you ok?" or "is there anything I can help you with?" - they might as well just say, "I'm bored and I want to annoy you" or "you look like someone who doesn't know what they want" or "the security guard sent me over to ask you this because we don't like your kind around here" to which I give the same response. Look them up and down once so fast they may not even notice, give a curt "no" and smile and walk away. Or, reply with, "actually yes. I'm trying to find something for an elderly neighbour. Preferably a cerise pink onesie with a front opening. Nothing too OTT though..."

When you are walking through two sets of doors and someone holds the first for you. Not wanting to look like a knob standing there waiting for them to open the second, I usually open the second and then gesture for them to go through and....and!!! I always say the same stupid f.ucking thing - "huh, might as well return the favour!" - God damn. I hate saying that. I say it every time. I can't open the door and not say it. I am weak and repeptitive. I bet there is someone out there trivially annoyed - "you know what I hate? When you hold a door for someone and then they rush through and shout "might as well return the favour!" as they open the second for you" - The self loathing.... :(

TA is my own stupidly. Just finished washing the windows. Last window complete and I alight from the step - foot straight in to the bucket of soapy water. Stumble back and fall backwards over the dog. Apologies to the dog are now complete. Socks shoes and trousers are changed but still annoyed.
    At least nobody but the dog saw it. Mrs S just laughs; which helps relieve the annoyance somewhat.

Having no money. Or no grown up savings. Starting on new year I have a direct debit going from my wages account to my saving account taking 1/3 of my wages to go into savings. Now only two weeks in, my puppy needs extensive treatment for his eye, I'm looking into a dog equivalent to the eye and ear hospital and I think I need to go to my doctor because it hurts to walk with a pain in my chest and feels like my heart is sore I think it's a chest infection. 50 euro for a stupid diagnosis I know myself and more money for more anti biotics that make me so run down ill have another infection next week.
    I might as well not bother saving, it's jinxing bad things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

When you are walking through two sets of doors and someone holds the first for you. Not wanting to look like a knob standing there waiting for them to open the second, I usually open the second and then gesture for them to go through and....and!!! I always say the same stupid f.ucking thing - "huh, might as well return the favour!" - God damn. I hate saying that. I say it every time. I can't open the door and not say it. I am weak and repeptitive. I bet there is someone out there trivially annoyed - "you know what I hate? When you hold a door for someone and then they rush through and shout "might as well return the favour!" as they open the second for you" - The self loathing.... :(

Is that you? FFS!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

TA is my own stupidly. Just finished washing the windows. Last window complete and I alight from the step - foot straight in to the bucket of soapy water. Stumble back and fall backwards over the dog. Apologies to the dog are now complete. Socks shoes and trousers are changed but still annoyed.
    At least nobody but the dog saw it. Mrs S just laughs; which helps relieve the annoyance somewhat.

Ah yes, a really good sense of humour is vitally important in a marriage.

Having no money. Or no grown up savings. Starting on new year I have a direct debit going from my wages account to my saving account taking 1/3 of my wages to go into savings. Now only two weeks in, my puppy needs extensive treatment for his eye, I'm looking into a dog equivalent to the eye and ear hospital and I think I need to go to my doctor because it hurts to walk with a pain in my chest and feels like my heart is sore I think it's a chest infection. 50 euro for a stupid diagnosis I know myself and more money for more anti biotics that make me so run down ill have another infection next week.
    I might as well not bother saving, it's jinxing bad things

When I got the chest virus a lady told me she had had the same thing five times and blamed the repetition on taking anti biotics the first time. If it is a virus they wont help. I have them here on stand by but waited and it has cleared now without them. Glad i did that!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement