Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 27

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    "Can I speak freely?"

.....braces self :D
    "With all due respect...." means the exact opposite.
    "In fairness..."

"Far be it from me to say, but..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    "Far be it from me to say, but..."

lol

Sleepy time now.....

:)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

"In fairness..."
    "With all due respect...." means the exact opposite.
    "Can I speak freely?"

.....braces self :D

"No offence, but...."

:pac:

Wake up Eisenberg! :)

Now that we've moved onto phrases:

"You're having a laugh" when they simply don't want to accept the truth of your statement :(

"At the end of the day"

Also "literally" and "practically" and "ironically" used out of context.

I worked with a guy who would say

"I think we should put that on the back boiler for now"

I worked with a guy who would say

"I think we should put that on the back boiler for now"

That's used an awful lot around here too!

I'm tempting to say 'we should put that in the hotpress for now' and see if anyone notices...

whiskeyman wrote: »
    That's used an awful lot around here too!

I'm tempting to say 'we should put that in the hotpress for now' and see if anyone notices...

They'll all assume it's a phrase they haven't heard yet and will be too ashamed to question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

couple of TAs from today, mostly to do with my car- was in the mechanics in november, new gears box in, past week or so had to stop a few times cos it wouldnt go into any gear. jesus!

anyway, this here cheers me up anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I am raging!!
    The one good thing about working in the town I work in is that they have one really good shoe shop. They have a sale on at the moment so I went in yesterday and saw a lovely pair of black wedge ankle boots. I need them in my life. I don't have enough money for them until Friday so I went home last night and my husband said he'd give me the money. I went back into the shop today, the boots have been reduced by another €15 but my size is gone :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

danrua01 wrote: »
    couple of TAs from today, mostly to do with my car- was in the mechanics in november, new gears box in, past week or so had to stop a few times cos it wouldnt go into any gear. jesus!

anyway, this here cheers me up anyway

"Snow on the ground, on the bush, oh look at the berries" :pac:

"The little buddha in the garden has snow on his little hand" :pac:

I am raging!!
    The one good thing about working in the town I work in is that they have one really good shoe shop. They have a sale on at the moment so I went in yesterday and saw a lovely pair of black wedge ankle boots. I need them in my life. I don't have enough money for them until Friday so I went home last night and my husband said he'd give me the money. I went back into the shop today, the boots have been reduced by another €15 but my size is gone :mad:

That makes me want to cry! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

"Snow on the ground, on the bush, oh look at the berries" :pac:

"The little buddha in the garden has snow on his little hand" :pac:

It's only f***in' snow, Alan!

Anyway, I'll tell ye... every Thursday before payday we get an email sayin "Your payslip is available", etc. Got this email two minutes ago and heard a colleague say, "why does this email say your payslip is available?" I have no words for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

It TA's me when I am planning something, texting around to tell people about it, love to see them there etc. and no reply. If you can't make it, you can't make it, no big deal. But since I'm planning food, it would be really good to know if you are coming or not. It's only common decency anyway. I'm damned if I'm texting them back again :(. The same people every time, and you don't know till they show up or don't. Grrrrrrr!

I am raging!!

Reverse happened for me :pac:

Saw a deadly pair of runners online last week only for half price... didn't have my size.
    Bought a pair similar, but just not the same (they were also half price, so still all good).

Checked the site today, and the first pair I really wanted now have my size (wtf? That never happens in sales!).

So... I had to buy them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

People who are perpetually late.
    We agreed to meet at 1.30. They arrive at 2.05 without a mention of being late. Every time! I'll bet if I arrived late, expecting them to not be there yet, they'd be sitting waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

People who are perpetually late.
    We agreed to meet at 1.30. They arrive at 2.05 without a mention of being late. Every time! I'll bet if I arrived late, expecting them to not be there yet, they'd be sitting waiting.

People who carry on like that have no respect whatsoever, never think about anyone aside from themselves, probably display some psychopathy indicators, and they are gone from my social and business circles quaaare lively.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

^^^
    On the late issue, a particular annoyance of mine. I'm ridiculously punctual. I used to work with a small team where the boss was ALWAYS late, so when we were arranging nights out or anything, people would book restaurants for 8, but tell everyone else 7:30. The problem is, this included me, who would turn up at 7:25 and sit there like a spare prick waiting for the rest of the ****ers to arrive.
    I may have gotten a bit thick the last time this happened and sent a somewhat sarky text on viber that I had to subsequently delete!

I'm not too bothered by the actual content but I was reading this on RTE news and there is something so off about the way it flows (or doesn't) that trivially annoys me...

"European Lehman Brothers and the Government would have been pilloried and become pariahs internationally. He said Ireland got a bad rap for the bank guarantee but it would have been worse if Anglo was liquidated and Ireland said to hell with bondholders. He said the financial regulator should have known it was bust.It should have been wound down but it would have been clearer if they knew the size of the problem, he said. Mr Honohan had the greatest sympathy for the political people in the room on the night of the guarantee. In the context of the advice they were given, the decisions were "quite understandable", he told the committee."

Is it the over use of the word "said"? I can't put my finger on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I'm not too bothered by the actual content but I was reading this on RTE news and there is something so off about the way it flows (or doesn't) that trivially annoys me...

"European Lehman Brothers and the Government would have been pilloried and become pariahs internationally. He said Ireland got a bad rap for the bank guarantee but it would have been worse if Anglo was liquidated and Ireland said to hell with bondholders. He said the financial regulator should have known it was bust.It should have been wound down but it would have been clearer if they knew the size of the problem, he said. Mr Honohan had the greatest sympathy for the political people in the room on the night of the guarantee. In the context of the advice they were given, the decisions were "quite understandable", he told the committee."

Is it the over use of the word "said"? I can't put my finger on it...

Punctuation disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Is it the over use of the word "said"? I can't put my finger on it...[/LEFT]

It needs more tabloid-style description of the protagonists, e.g: The amiable-old-duffer-like ex-financier said that "The Americans were like, literally rolling around on the floor trying not to wet themselves. They couldn't believe it - 'You mean they're actually going to get the taxpayers over there to pay for all this shít? And they'll, like, actually put up with it??" "Anyway, the Irish Central Bank were a shower of illiterate bottom-feeding ex-school inspectors", the balding, spectacle-wearing Dad-of-two growled menacingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People who don't wash themselves yet come into someone's place of work, expose parts of themselves and expect others to actually touch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

People who don't wash themselves yet come into someone's place of work, expose parts of themselves and expect others to actually touch them

Where the fck do you work? :eek:

There'd be less smell in a pig sty, that's where

Has to be The Dail:D

Marty Morrissey having his own radio show.

Crushes.

What the actual f.uck? Am I still 16 or something?? :rolleyes:

There'd be less smell in a pig sty, that's where

Hey! That's a bit mean. I like pigs :D

Crushes.

What the actual f.uck? Am I still 16 or something?? :rolleyes:

Who have you a crush on? Its me isn't it?!!!! :o

Who have you a crush on? Its me isn't it?!!!! :o

Oh Gawd who told you? Like, sooooooooooo embarrassed right now :P Actually one of my lecturers. Pfffft how much of a f.ucking cliche am I? :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭seablue

riclad wrote: »
    People that use a lot of american slang , eg awesome,cool ,dude,in everday conversation .
    We irish have our own native slang,
    there,s no need to pretend to be an american .
    unless you have an american accent you just sound like a idiot.

Agreed. I work in the tech sector and get this most days. None of my friends talk like this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i went into the local shop this morning and noticed a bang of horrible B to the O as soon as I walked in the door. There was one lad behind the counter doing some sort of stock boy work, and another member of staff quite the distance away. The one far away roared to the stock boy to serve me, she obviously didnt want to get close to him. I did. The fooking reek off him when I approached. It was a tough transaction to complete.

The worst part, I think some of his odour cloud attached itself to me as well, at times today I've been able to get the waft again.

The shop had just opened, so he had just strted his shift. It couldnt have gotten any better through the day.

Oh Gawd who told you? Like, sooooooooooo embarrassed right now :P Actually one of my lecturers. Pfffft how much of a f.ucking cliche am I? :o:o

Forbidden fruit is always tastiest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Lexie please tell me it wasn't a hoo haa :O Boom_Bap yuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Waiting for phone call centres to call you back regarding a complaint

MsBubbles wrote: »

She had bad breath too

Lexie gross ! dirty cow

MsBubbles wrote: »

A lady garden in need of prunage, perhaps. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

When you go to turn on a light and the bulb blows. Just frightened the **** out of me! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I cut my finger on a tin awhile ago. I am never going to stop bleeding. I think I might bleed to death :(

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    i went into the local shop this morning and noticed a bang of horrible B to the O as soon as I walked in the door. There was one lad behind the counter doing some sort of stock boy work, and another member of staff quite the distance away. The one far away roared to the stock boy to serve me, she obviously didnt want to get close to him. I did. The fooking reek off him when I approached. It was a tough transaction to complete.

The worst part, I think some of his odour cloud attached itself to me as well, at times today I've been able to get the waft again.

The shop had just opened, so he had just strted his shift. It couldnt have gotten any better through the day.

B to the O, lol

Forbidden fruit is always tastiest!

I wouldn't know! I haven't tasted it...er....yet :o :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Marty Morrissey having his own radio show.

Him and Brenda Loudmouth together.... turn the dial instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

My mother came over for a cuppa today and while she was sitting at the kitchen table she was picking at her nail varnish until she had a nice little pile in front of her. Then she brushed what she had onto her hand and threw it on the floor. If I did that in her house she would ball me out of it. trivially annoyed.

73Cat wrote: »
    I cut my finger on a tin awhile ago. I am never going to stop bleeding. I think I might bleed to death :(

Don,t expect any sympathy around here:)

• Advertisement

I've been in a horrid good mood all day. Like just smiling away to myself happy out. Two people commented. This annoys me because I must look like smiling is an alien thing for me to do. An old lady on the bus told me I had beautiful dimples and one of the girls I work with asked me what's wrong with me. I'll have to do more of this smiling business

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

The usage of the Americanism 'Mom' for your mother in Ireland. When the f**k did Ireland become part of America? It's MAMMY!

Next person says it to me I am going to slap them across the face, hard...

Ow! Just walloped my leg off the oven door :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

1. Smacking your big toe off the leg of the bed - oh the pain.
    2. Also hate when I wash a black shirt in the washing machine, there are always white marks left in it from the washing power.
    3. People who complain about everything knowing there will be no chance of change - just accept it. It's cold - get over it.
    4. The wayUTV never used to show the weather forecast for Dublin - they do now!
    So many more - so little time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

The weather girl on the news on TV. She ends every single one of her broadcasts with "that's your forecast" with a tone of voice like she's squaring up for a fight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement