Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 27

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Actually on the subject of computers, I have a trivial annoyance.
    I was putting away clothes on Saturday and put a pile of clothes down on top of my keyboard, a few buttons were pressed and ultimately my screen turned upside down. No problem fixing it but WHO THE FOOK NEEDS THEIR COMPUTER SCREEN TO BE UPSIDE DOWN OR SIDEWAYS? EVER??

You can get monitors that pivot so that they're in portrait mode. Digital artists tend to use them.

For upside down, I can imagine if you had a projector or something that had to be mounted in a certain way, it can come in handy (although I'm sure projectors have options for that sort of thing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Actually on the subject of computers, I have a trivial annoyance.
    I was putting away clothes on Saturday and put a pile of clothes down on top of my keyboard, a few buttons were pressed and ultimately my screen turned upside down. No problem fixing it but WHO THE FOOK NEEDS THEIR COMPUTER SCREEN TO BE UPSIDE DOWN OR SIDEWAYS? EVER??

There are lots of situations where this can be useful. Remember that computers don't just connect to the standard desktop monitor like the one you generally have at home.

Projectors and digital artists, as above, are some good examples. Also, imagine you have the screen mounted on flat surface like a tabletop, for a meeting room, a museum display, a retro arcade machine etc. Or mounted on a swivel arm in a server room or factory. Basically anywhere that it might be useful to reorient the screen at times.

Granted, this seems like a pretty silly feature when you stumble upon it on your home computer. It's a great way to annoy co-workers though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Alpha Male bullies who like to use force and intimidation to reassure themselves they're top dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Alpha Male bullies who like to use force and intimidation to reassure themselves they're top dog

I suspect this is "street" usage of the term Alpha Male, i.e. an illiterate braying ass in desperate need of attention because Mammy never gave him the tit. You'll find that real Alpha Males never act disrespectfully like that. Unless the little bollix is looking for it! :D

Ugh just there's no words for him, someone who'd come and fling multiple pots of water over an open fire because the "effin house is too hot" or someone who throws your dinner out to the dogs because it "looks like slop" or someone who takes fuses out of electrical appliances because they don't want you to use it. The list is endless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Ugh just there's no words for him, someone who'd come and fling multiple pots of water over an open fire because the "effin house is too hot" or someone who throws your dinner out to the dogs because it "looks like slop" or someone who takes fuses out of electrical appliances because they don't want you to use it. The list is endless

Who is this horror of a human being? :(

Umm, here is the news - none of that stuff is normal, no-one does that! :pac:

My brother. I left my OH, staying back out at home and I think I've leaped from the frying pan into the Fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

My brother. I left my OH, staying back out at home and I think I've leaped from the frying pan into the Fire

Aw, sorry to hear that. About the break up....and the brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

grundie wrote: »
    The person who keeps cooking mackerel fillets in the shared microwave in our office. God that stuff stinks.

That should be a sackable offence :mad:, yeuch! Why do some people have no consideration for others?

• Advertisement

LynnGrace wrote: »
    That should be a sackable offence :mad:, yeuch! Why do some people have no consideration for others?

There is someone in our office who microwaves sickly buttery popcorn every so often.
    Absolutely minging smell. But fish is much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That type of relationship issue is unfortunately seldom trivial. That said, on balance, the brother may prove to be the more trivial of the two. Keep the faith!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

When someone leaves a door slightly ajar so that there's a cold breeze coming in and the door is tapping. ARGH!

That type of relationship issue is unfortunately seldom trivial. That said, on balance, the brother may prove to be the more trivial of the two. Keep the faith!

To be honest, the pair of them can Rev up and **** off. It's just those annoying mind games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

People who see something on a spoof news site, or hear a piece of urban myth, and cannot be persuaded that it is not true or that it is a leg pull.

That song uptown funk. It's a headwreck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Trying to figure out why one of my bras is on a chair in the kitchen. I have no clue how that got there.:confused:

Trying to figure out why one of my bras is on a chair in the kitchen. I have no clue how that got there.:confused:

Your man from the Fall has paid you a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Birds ****ting all over my car :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Young wan on the train hasn't stfu since we left Heuston.she doesn't have an 'indoor' voice either it seems. I moved at Salins

Your man from the Fall has paid you a visit.

Speaking of the Fall. We are going to watch the final episode tonight...but someone at work made a damned good attempt to tell me what happens.
    Why do people do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

That song uptown funk. It's a headwreck

It TA's me that I don't like Bruno Mars at all, but I love that song. I wish I could dance so I could git on dowwwn to it! Bruno Mars is very irritating though, so shiny and plastic looking. I bet he has no body hair whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flutterby80

Today has been riddled with TAs...Why do birds keep ****ting all over my black car? It's covered in crusty crap :( The hot water that I poured over windscreen this morning started to freeze as I drove down the road so I couldn't see properly. Ignorant bitch of a customer who made one of my part timers cry. God I hate the general public! And finally going to Tesco to get some Kellogs Mini Breaks for work and they were out of stock :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Today's TA: Buying what I thought was a touchscreen Kindle (as advertised and on display in the store at a reduced price). Grand.

So I get home, and open it only to discover it's actually the first, button thingy model. Sigh.

I'll take it back tomorrow for a refund/exchange but... effort.

Speaking of the Fall. We are going to watch the final episode tonight...but someone at work made a damned good attempt to tell me what happens.
    Why do people do that?

Because they're the worst kind of person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Trimming my fingernails only to find less that an hour later a longer fingernail would be a help opening the end of a roll of sellotape...

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Trimming my fingernails only to find less that an hour later a longer fingernail would be a help opening the end of a roll of sellotape...

TA gold!

When rotten people do nice things. Id much prefer somebody be consistently an asshole because then you know where you stand and you don't feel bad for thinking they're an asshole. So while you're out dogging the asshole into the ground, they're actually doing something nice for you so then of course you feel terrible, for telling everyone how much of an asshole they were in the first place.

So being nice ends up being more of an ASSSHOLE thing to do.

Also, it's unnatural how cold I am. In bed, electric blanket, pjs, massive hoodie, and I'm still glued to the bed with the cold. It can't be that cold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

People who see something on a spoof news site, or hear a piece of urban myth, and cannot be persuaded that it is not true or that it is a leg pull.

You should do the far away sketch from Father Ted to annoy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Literally doesn't mean literally for a lot of people. It's not even a new phenomenon.
    Some thing awful happens, if you use literally, people will assume you are exaggerating, but nod in acknowledgement. Don't say and they will think you are pulling your leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm trivially annoyed that I had very vivid and weird dreams before waking. I still feel disorientated and anxious, like something bad is going to happen and I just can't put my finger on it. Hate that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Poor 73Cat. I hate when that happens.

73Cat wrote: »
    I'm trivially annoyed that I had very vivid and weird dreams before waking. I still feel disorientated and anxious, like something bad is going to happen and I just can't put my finger on it. Hate that :(

I find that happens me when I miss my meds

On the way to the train this morning, this suv in front of us (a rant in itself) with a sign on the back window,

"Please slow down!!! Abbie on board".

The rage, it's real. Of course it didn't bother my friend at all but jesus. How about you take responsibility for "Abbie" and slow down yourself. Funny how it's always the cars pulling in and out of schools are the most erratic and unpredictable drivers and then they'll stick up a sign telling everyone else to slow down.

Lexie don't you realise that their child is the most important thing in the universe. *rolls eyes*

Exactly. So look after it. And while they're at it, restrain it in supermarkets so it's not bumping into me, please.

But you're supposed move out of their precious darling's way because the child is much more important than you Lexie.

I'm tall. It trivially annoys me when people ask me to get stuff for them from a high shelf. I mean, I'm not that f.ucking tall. I'm 5 9, hardly at eye level with the top shelf in a supermarket. And how do they know I don't have a back problem that prevents me from stretching? Or even just a general disdain for the human race that makes me not want to help anyone? Do I ask a short person to pick up stuff from the lower shelves since they're nearer the ground? B.astards.

I'm very jealous of your growing ability though

I feel slightly bad for initially misreading that as "growling" ability! :pac:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    I feel slightly bad for initially misreading that as "growling" ability! :pac:

You wouldn't be far wrong in that regard though, so don't feel bad :P

pffft, too much rich food when I was a kid. When I have kids I will starve them so they don't become oversized buffoons with big feet :P Another TA of mine is people commenting on my size. "Oh my God, the height of you." etc. Imagine if someone said that to a small person? Same goes for body weight. People feel they can comment if you lose weight, but wouldn't dream of saying something to a fat person. :(

jimgoose wrote: »
    Lately the local Centra shop is impossible. Anytime you go in there the poor chungwans on the tills are flat-out checking lottery tickets while the queue backs up out the door and back the road. I have root-caused this, and the issue is with the lottery ticket checking machine. Hitherto, one could check tickets merrily without bothering anyone at the till. But since the lottery was sold off to whoever it was, they promptly re-engineered the whole system such that the old checkers no longer work for some reason...

It seems that our all-knowing Fuggan Gummint have sold the National Lottery to the Elmer J. Delbert Memorial Bank, Buttfúck, Idaho* for a sack of magic beans. Also, I'm not the only one to notice issues with the supporting infrastructure:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/retailers-call-for-lotto-inquiry-over-new-ticket-terminals-1.2070476

I feel so... Trivially Validated! :D

*It's actually a group comprising An Post and something called the "Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan", but my version is funnier.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    pffft, too much rich food when I was a kid. When I have kids I will starve them so they don't become oversized buffoons with big feet :P Another TA of mine is people commenting on my size. "Oh my God, the height of you...

Don't be too hasty. When I see a six-foot stunna my lower-jaw tends to scrape along the ground like a front-loader while I make "Wubba-Wubba" noises. :pac:

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    pffft, too much rich food when I was a kid. When I have kids I will starve them so they don't become oversized buffoons with big feet :P Another TA of mine is people commenting on my size. "Oh my God, the height of you." etc. Imagine if someone said that to a small person? Same goes for body weight. People feel they can comment if you lose weight, but wouldn't dream of saying something to a fat person. :(

Meh, don't worry people do comment about short people too. I'm about 5'3, my brother and oh (well ex) are both about 6'2/6'3. My dads family are all super tall, when they were carrying the coffin my brother and his three nephews carried it and the undertaker was like "the two shortest at the front". I think that will be the only time in my brothers life he'll be ever "the shortest". Anyway, so many of my friends told me they didn't realise how small I was until that day, where I stood by a heap of men and didn't even reach to their shoulders.

Very TA considering both my parents were tall enough and one side of my family are Giants and I'm a glorified smurf

being 5ft 3 is TA because being short sucks

Also, those luas steps you know when you get off at the luas stop and have to cross the luas line? That drop with short legs, I always feel like I need a boost up, especially at heuston

Being sick :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

People who sniffle instead of just blowing their fooking nose.
    Sniff sniff sniff SNIFF sniff sniff sniff sniff SNIFF oh excuse me sniff sniff sniff...
    BLOW YOUR FOOKING NOSE YOU FILTHY ANIMAL.

I just offered her a tissue, "oh no thanks". PLEASE TAKE THE TISSUE!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

MsBubbles wrote: »
    being 5ft 3 is TA because being short sucks

The other side of that coin, being 5ft 11. 1 inch short of the 6 foot club :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement