Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 27

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I got a magnificent 1940s-style haircut over the Christmas, and now it is at that peculiar stage of re-growth where bits of it insist on standing up. I look like Tom from Killinaskully. What is trivially annoying is that I'm not sure whether I'm trivially annoyed or trivially amused by this. BIRD! <BANG!!> :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

My height related TA: I'm 5'8 and a bit (the bit is very important ;)) - my 3 little brothers - all 6ft+ - most irritating.

My height related TA: I'm 5'8 and a bit (the bit is very important ;)) - my 3 little brothers - all 6ft+ - most irritating.

Yeah. I'm 6' 2'' and I thought I was doing great until my younger brother extended to 6' 4''. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

fizzypish wrote: »
    The other side of that coin, being 5ft 11. 1 inch short of the 6 foot club :(

Think that's bad? I'm 5.11 and 1/2. I always feel dishonest if I say I'm 6ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

efb wrote: »
    Being sick :(

Same! The flu finally caught up with me. And there I was boasting about my "superior immune system" . SNIFF. Vertigo on top of that is - interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I'm tall. It trivially annoys me when people ask me to get stuff for them from a high shelf. I mean, I'm not that f.ucking tall. I'm 5 9, hardly at eye level with the top shelf in a supermarket. And how do they know I don't have a back problem that prevents me from stretching? Or even just a general disdain for the human race that makes me not want to help anyone? Do I ask a short person to pick up stuff from the lower shelves since they're nearer the ground? B.astards.

I must confess to being a bastard !! There is nothing worse than not being able to reach stuff off the top shelves! I have broken bread sticks, held up children, or in sheer desparation asked someone to reach it for me. The most annoying thing is just as your fingers scrape something, you actually start pushing it back further. 5'3" is tall to me, I wish I was a little bit taller :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm 6' 2'' and I thought I was doing great until my younger brother extended to 6' 4''. :pac:

I'm also 6'2" and my younger brother (nearly 10 years younger, the little fecker) took a massive stretch at the age of 15. He was all set to race past me, which would have been TA. But now he's nearly 20 and has stopped just shy of me by about a quarter of an inch.

Chuffed. :D

I've got about a stone on him too so I can still give him nuggies.

I'm also 6'2" and my younger brother (nearly 10 years younger, the little fecker) took a massive stretch at the age of 15. He was all set to race past me, which would have been TA. But now he's nearly 20 and has stopped just shy of me by about a quarter of an inch.

Chuffed. :D

I've got about a stone on him too so I can still give him nuggies.

That all wore out a good while back. My fella has over two stone on me and a black belt in Taekwon-Do. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's so annoying when you know what you want but can't find the exact thing. I need a pair of black over the knee suede boots with a stiletto heel, not that horrible block heel and do you think there's a pair to be found?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

It's so annoying when you know what you want but can't find the exact thing. I need a pair of black over the knee suede boots with a stiletto heel, not that horrible block heel and do you think there's a pair to be found?

You can have mine, but they are a size 10, any good to ya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Doing the grocery shopping yesterday, and there was a guy going around with one leg of his jeans rolled up.
    Not trivially annoyed at him, in the slightest, but at me for vaguely wondering why :D

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    You can have mine, but they are a size 10, any good to ya?

I could fit two feet into a 10 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

On height rants - I am a relatively normal height at 5'6", but my legs are so short I can wear short leg jeans from quite a few stores...

Also, being a size 10-12 and shoe size 6 means I never ever ever get any sale bargains :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When I've been out drinking, I always end up with loads of coins in my purse. It's like I can't get it together enough when I drink to actually count, so I have to use all my notes :(

I work with this crazy Russian girl. I love her, she's very funny but she's way too direct. We are talking about my weekend and the end of my relationship.
    "You're an emotional terrorist" because I walk away from an arguement.
    "You're eating his brain with a teaspoon" because I prefer the silent treatment to a shouting match.
    "I wouldn't date you, if I were a dude." Thanks! That makes me feel so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Think that's bad? I'm 5.11 and 1/2. I always feel dishonest if I say I'm 6ft.
    O I feel your pain and you are correct. It is dishonest to say 6 foot. Better to say 5ft 11.5" and hang your head in shame.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm training a guy at the moment, he's come over from one of our international offices, and let's just say that he's full of confusing compliments.

For example, when we were having smalltalk when we first me, he said 'You look like a Hollywood actor'.

Now depending on how you view this statement, it can be good or bad.

The good - I have the looks to be an actor in Hollywood.
    I resemble a decent looking guy popular in movies

The Bad - I resemble a not so good looking token friend style guy that is in movies.

Driving into work today, a van pulled out of a petrol station and I had to jam on a little as the f*cker just darted out. That was TA.

Then, the van errupt into a plume of smoke, that got thicker and thicker and thicker. Haha karma me thinks, the fooker has put petrol in his diesel or vice versa, or blown a turbo or something bad all to cut me off. Haha fooker. Not TA.

The smoke got so thick, I had to stop dead and blast on the hazards, luckily the car behind done the same. Everything disappeared around me. 0 visibilty. I eventually was able to get past him when smoke started clearing. The reek of exploded engine had filled up my car, so had to drive along in the bejayzusin cold with the windows down to try clear out the stonk. TA.

Mr Bap, how did you little "probe" go?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mr Bap, how did you little "probe" go?

Hasn't been rescheduled yet. I'm putting it on the long finger (multiple puns intended).

I just used the word 'traction' in an email.

I'm officially a d*ckhead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I just used the word 'traction' in an email.

I'm officially a d*ckhead.

Its ok to try a new word out. Raise it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes.

Oh sh1t...its catching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The Euro to Sterling exchange rate. I feel like I've been mugged.:mad:

The Euro to Sterling exchange rate. I feel like I've been mugged.:mad:

That's my not-so-trivial happy, given that I'm paid in sterling and have a wedding to pay for in euro! :D

Parents sending their kids to a catholic school then complaining about them having to do religion and them not being facilitated elsewhere when they're learning religion, and having their kids excluded from communion that it should be opt in rather than opt out? For serious?? Lord help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

I'm tall. It trivially annoys me when people ask me to get stuff for them from a high shelf. I mean, I'm not that f.ucking tall. I'm 5 9, hardly at eye level with the top shelf in a supermarket. And how do they know I don't have a back problem that prevents me from stretching? Or even just a general disdain for the human race that makes me not want to help anyone? Do I ask a short person to pick up stuff from the lower shelves since they're nearer the ground? B.astards.
    I'm often asked to do this, invariably by little elderly (and sometimes not so elderly i.e the wife) ladies and I'm happy to do it, probably the only good thing I get to do for anybody.

Parents sending their kids to a catholic school then complaining about them having to do religion and them not being facilitated elsewhere when they're learning religion, and having their kids excluded from communion that it should be opt in rather than opt out? For serious?? Lord help us.

More-than-TA that there is no choice in that matter in a lot of areas. If you're in a very rural area and there is one (RC) school within a reasonable driving distance then what are non-religious parents supposed to do?

More-than-TA that there is no choice in that matter in a lot of areas. If you're in a very rural area and there is one (RC) school within a reasonable driving distance then what are non-religious parents supposed to do?

Drive further if it's such an issue?

There's usually school buses going to larger areas? Not to equate religious beliefs with an illness but my little cousin has severe autism and has to go to a special school that will help her with her needs. Her mom drives her to school (quite the distance!) because the local school does not meet her needs.

A catholic school isn't going to meet agnostic beliefs so deciding to send a child to a religious school, and then getting offended their child has to sit in (not participate in) a class when the other kids are learning about religion is ridiculous. If it offends so much that you expect the school to change the rules, then send your child somewhere else

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Hasn't been rescheduled yet. I'm putting it on the long finger (multiple puns intended).
    Reminds me of one of the better lines in the Big Bang Theory - "I'd rather have a prostrate probe from a leper who walks away with nine fingers!

• Advertisement

Sorry, wrong thread!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

When the abnormal becomes the normal, as demonstrated by the last last few "just suck it up" posts re the abnormal school patronage cluster **** situation in this country.

My TA is I still have a black eye, nearly 4 bleedin weeks now (

tried Dermablend to over it, nothing works. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Drive further if it's such an issue?

Where I grew up, it's a 40+ minute drive to the closest one. That's more than trivial tbh

Jake1 wrote: »
    My TA is I still have a black eye, nearly 4 bleedin weeks now (

tried Dermablend to over it, nothing works. :(

Sounds like a long time to be healing, have you had it checked? I bruise very easily so I buy Arnica cream in Holland and Barrett. It speeds up the healing time and fades the bruise faster.

curioser wrote: »
    I'm often asked to do this, invariably by little elderly (and sometimes not so elderly i.e the wife) ladies and I'm happy to do it, probably the only good thing I get to do for anybody.

Well hopefully you're around the next time I'm asked because I'll never be happy to do it.

• Advertisement

Thanks to many black eyes and broken noses, I find that colour corrector works best for concealing bruises? Purple/lilac corrector will cover up yellow/green bruises.

Sounds like a long time to be healing, have you had it checked? I bruise very easily so I buy Arnica cream in Holland and Barrett. It speeds up the healing time and fades the bruise faster.

Ive been using Arnica cream hasnt really helped though. Its still really dark along my cheek bone. I tried all sorts of makeup but the bastard still shines through

I'll be taking to Doctor later today, doubt there is anything to help the bruising though.
    still have hard lump too :(

Woe is me

(kicks own arse ):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Jake1 wrote: »
    Ive been using Arnica cream hasnt really helped though. Its still really dark along my cheek bone. I tried all sorts of makeup but the bastard still shines through

I'll be taking to Doctor later today, doubt there is anything to help the bruising though.
    still have hard lump too :(

Woe is me

(kicks own arse ):)

Don't do that! Your bum will be bruised along with your eye!

curioser wrote: »

May I thank you on behalf of short arses everywhere:)
    In fairness I have yet to meet anyone who minded reaching me something. Or at least they had the grace to hide it well. I am usually mortified asking though.

73Cat wrote: »
    May I thank you on behalf of short arses everywhere:)
    In fairness I have never met anyone who, at least outwardly, didn't mind reaching me something. I am usually mortified asking though.

I'm 5'4 ish, my husband is 6'3, so reaching high shelfs isn't a problem when he's around, but it still makes me feel like a shortarse when he easily picks something off a shelf that I've been struggling to reach.:D

• Advertisement

I'm 5'4 ish, my husband is 6'3, so reaching high shelfs isn't a problem when he's around, but it still makes me feel like a shortarse when he easily picks something off a shelf that I've been struggling to reach.:D

Do you ever feel like when ye are out in public walking and he's holding your hand, that he looks like he's bringing you for a walk or kidnapping you?

I have a date tonight, with a guy who lets me wax him for fun. He's lovely and all but I don't think he has very high expectations or standards. We are only going to the cinema but I'm texting him saying you know I'm in work all day so I'll look a bit rough, and he's basically said he's not expecting me to look good. Oh right that's nice. Now I have to make more of an effort.

He likes pain and doesn't get the concept of complimenting a lady. Run, run away very fast, he's weird.

...I'm texting him saying you know I'm in work all day so I'll look a bit rough, and he's basically said he's not expecting me to look good...

Cheeses wept! :pac::pac::pac:

Tried to take a brisk 40 minute walk this morning. Met the postman, who talked for 20 minutes about the weather. Then met a neighbour who stood and talked about the weather for 15 minutes. A third neighbour pulls up in her car and starts another conversation about the weather. After 10 minutes I had to excuse myself with the excuse that I was getting chilled standing.

A good walk ruined.

I just say I am 5', and be done with it. The last time I was measured officially was when pregnant, I told the nurse I was 5', but she sniggered, asked was I sure, and said she'd better check. Oh well, what's a half inch or so, here or there? If I could fit a folding step into my bag I'd be sorted :)

jimgoose wrote: »
    Cheeses wept! :pac::pac::pac:

It reminds of "You don't sweat much, for a fat bird":D

I have a date tonight, with a guy who lets me wax him for fun. He's lovely and all but I don't think he has very high expectations or standards. We are only going to the cinema but I'm texting him saying you know I'm in work all day so I'll look a bit rough, and he's basically said he's not expecting me to look good. Oh right that's nice. Now I have to make more of an effort.

Just take it that he's happy to be with you no matter what you think you look like. Maybe he sees the inner beauty.;)

I'm at a stage with someone where I could walk away with only the emotional equivalent of a bruise but kissing him is like a drug that I know is so bad for me but I keep doing it. I can already hear my inner chatterbox saying, "I told you so" in a couple of weeks or month's time :(

I'm at a stage with someone where I could walk away with only the emotional equivalent of a bruise but kissing him is like a drug that I know is so bad for me but I keep doing it. I can already hear my inner chatterbox saying, "I told you so" in a couple of weeks or month's time :(

TA. I have a wife, my only children are 3 girls, I have 3 granddaughters and I still just don't understand how the mind of a woman works.

It reminds of "You don't sweat much, for a fat bird":D

"Does my arse look big in this??"

"It is with great verisimilitude that I find myself in the happy position to be able to inform you that nothing you own makes your arse look any bigger or smaller than it is!"

Hiiiiii-YA!! <THWACK>

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement