Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 27

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭veryangryman

riclad wrote: »
    I go into a supermarket, last week
    there used to be 5 tellers there to serve you,
    now now there s 6 self service scan machines .
    And 1 person at 1 register,
    I wonder who is gonna buy all the goods in the shops,
    when there,s 1000.s of people who lose their jobs due to automation.
    Companys seem willing to spend any amount to devise ways to relace workers.

Its a persons fault that a machine can do their job. Using your noggin is thankfully, something that a machine can never replace. Doing mindless repetitive tasks is madness in fairness. We were not put on this earth for that. The staff should be trained to maintain and improve these auto checkouts. That will keep their job and then some.

But no, blame the machine. Its evil sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

riclad wrote: »
    Companys seem willing to spend any amount to devise ways to relace workers.

These are ways to save money, and make more business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Its a persons fault that a machine can do their job. Using your noggin is thankfully, something that a machine can never replace. Doing mindless repetitive tasks is madness in fairness. We were not put on this earth for that. The staff should be trained to maintain and improve these auto checkouts. That will keep their job and then some.

But no, blame the machine. Its evil sure...

Just you wait for the BoardsForumResponder5000!!!

People who ring me and explain their issue. I tell them the resolution. They explain their issue again, in more depth, with information that is irrelevant.

Stop wasting my time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Forgetting to bring my prompt cards on the day I have to make a presentation and having to cobble them together from notes I have lying around. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

It is a TA of mine that I have to share breathing space with people write the "word" gaurd (when referring to "Garda" or "guard")

When the hell did this become so common?

My tea keeps going too cold.
    Can you get a little under-cup heater thingie (like a hot plate) that keeps it warm all morning?
    Maybe it could plug into a usb?

/visits kickstarter...

hot dang!!
    http://www.amazon.com/Desktop-heated-coffee-tea-warmer/dp/B0046DNT4Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People on trains that bring a picnic on the train with them. You'd swear they were going to be on the train for the rest of the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,222 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Children staring!

Got up to give my seat to a woman here in the doctors surgery, she said she was grand, so I suggested the child could sit down instead...

She hasn't stopped staring at me since, like one of those village of the damned types! Please stop! :o

Children staring!

Got up to give my seat to a woman here in the doctors surgery, she said she was grand, so I suggested the child could sit down instead...

She hasn't stopped staring at me since, like one of those village of the damned types! Please stop! :o

People staring full stop, it's so rude! Being eyeballed by some creptile obviously hating on my good looks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

From LinkedIn this morning, one for some here - ONW, possibly?

"If you want to optimize your Twitter experience do what you do in real life: mute insane people."

LINKITUDE

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭veryangryman

People on trains that bring a picnic on the train with them. You'd swear they were going to be on the train for the rest of the month

Might have missed breakfast? Half hour extra sleep and your journey not slowed down.

My TA. How anyone is willing to pay the extra for the train over the bus. Almost every single annoyance (and some more re: drunk people, more packed carts etc) is on the train - the notion of comfort on this is long gone.

"A grand way to travel" GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Might have missed breakfast? Half hour extra sleep and your journey not slowed down.

My TA. How anyone is willing to pay the extra for the train over the bus. Almost every single annoyance (and some more re: drunk people, more packed carts etc) is on the train - the notion of comfort on this is long gone.

Guilty as charged. The only times I've ever been on trains in this country I've been pissed as a fart. The commuters probably weren't best pleased.

If you've time to make sandwiches, a flask of tea and pack crisps and other stuff I didn't see surely to god you'd have time to have a bowl of cornflakes.
    Train is great. I would hate to be stuck on the bus for an hour longer than it takes the train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Got stuck behind a complete dunce this morning who decided the experience of driving in the snow is greatly enhanced by not bothering their bollix to clean the snow off the windows. All back and side windows were covered and only a patch had been brushed off the front windscreen. I hope they ended up in a fcuking ditch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

gramar wrote: »
    Got stuck behind a complete dunce this morning who decided the experience of driving in the snow is greatly enhanced by not bothering their bollix to clean the snow off the windows. All back and side windows were covered and only a patch had been brushed off the front windscreen. I hope they ended up in a fcuking ditch.

With every hoor's ghosht flogging ice-scrapers and 500ml of Holts de-icer for a couple of shillings there's no excuse for this sort of thickness. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

gramar wrote: »

Worse when they are on the motorway and all the roof snow slides off nearly killing the poor fcker driving behind them at 100kmh. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If you've time to make sandwiches, a flask of tea and pack crisps and other stuff I didn't see surely to god you'd have time to have a bowl of cornflakes.
    Train is great. I would hate to be stuck on the bus for an hour longer than it takes the train

Picture the scene - it's 19:30 on Wednesday evening and you've Coronation Street on the tele and a nice cup of tea beside you, but you're not curled up on the couch.

You're in the kitchen, with a sliced pan and a butter knife.

You carefully assemble your sandwiches, tenderly wrapping them in foil, while taking in the latest events from da street (I presume that's how they refer to it). You pop the sandwiches in the fridge, wash and dry your flask and pop a tea bag in, stick some crisps in a bag. You put the bag beside the fridge and the flask beside the kettle.

Roll on to Thursday morning. It's 7:00. Would you rather:

- Your alarm starts blaring and you jump out of bed, organising a hurried breakfast before making a break for the train station, your mouth still scalded from the cup of tea you guzzled down far too quickly.

- You sleep for another 30 minutes. Pop the kettle on, take the sandwiched from the fridge and pop them in the bag with the crisps, fill your Thermos and get out the gap in five minutes - with a nice leisurely breakfast to enjoy on the journey.

?

I envy the shit out of these organised types personally. In fact, you're right, it is trivially annoying how much better at life they are than me. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I have just got the same Super Valu special offers magazine through the door with the post for the 4th time this week FFS. I'll see the offers if I'm in there thanks very much. Time for a No Junk Mail sign I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Simple really - it takes up to an hour to cover just under 6km on the bus to work during rush hour, it takes 10-15 minutes on a bike (if you have a death wish), 20 minutes on the train, 30-35 minutes running, or roughly one hour walking. The bus is the "but I like the misery" option.

73Cat wrote: »
    I have just got the same Super Valu special offers magazine through the door with the post for the 4th time this week FFS. I'll see the offers if I'm in there thanks very much. Time for a No Junk Mail sign I think.

We have one of those signs and in our case they have dramatically cut down on the junk mail.
    But TA is those junk mail depositors who ignore the sign. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

. Time for a No Junk Mail sign I think.

Not worth the effort of making one and putting one up as you will still get the same amount of sh1te in the letter box. The worst part is the amount of junk mail filling up the bin and costing more to have it lifted. These junk mail companies are costing us money by advertising stuff you don't care about or can find out if we want.

^^^^ :(

It's so irritating , I glance at the first one , and thereafter they are straight into the recycling bin. Some days 2 will come in the door at once :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

etc = et cetera. Meaning : and so on and so forth, and other things, and the like, etc.

ECT = Electro Convulsive Therapy. Meaning : a procedure in which currents of electricity are passed through the brain, intentionally triggering a brief seizure with the idea that it will cause changes in brain chemistry that can quickly reverse symptoms of certain mental illnesses.

There is a very significant difference here. I've been seeing ect used instead of etc way too much lately. Annoying this is!

Doing something nice (bringing hot chocolate and cupcakes into work) and having one girl complain she "really shouldn't" because shes gluten intolerant and watching her weight. After a few minutes of complaining she horsed into it. Ffs make up your mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

TA 3 of us were close friends. Girl A falls out with Girl B because I refused to take sides Girl A will no longer speak to me.
    FFS ! It's pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

We have one of those signs and in our case they have dramatically cut down on the junk mail.
    But TA is those junk mail depositors who ignore the sign. :(
    Not worth the effort of making one and putting one up as you will still get the same amount of sh1te in the letter box. The worst part is the amount of junk mail filling up the bin and costing more to have it lifted. These junk mail companies are costing us money by advertising stuff you don't care about or can find out if we want.

I put one up, and I have to say, it worked a treat ( I did not make on it though, I just bought one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I put one up, and I have to say, it worked a treat ( I did not make on it though, I just bought one).

Same here. It definitely cut down the rubbish almost completely.

eisenberg1 wrote: »

I have a bought one too. I think that a bought one gets taken more seriously for some bizarre reason. Like a home made one is only pretend.

I have a bought one too. I think that a bought one gets taken more seriously for some bizarre reason. Like a home made one is only pretend.

I'm going into business making 'No junk mail' signs.
    Just printing off the leaflets now...

• Advertisement

Lexie I love a train picnic :) Mine usually are later in the day and involve booze
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

TA : my no junk mail only cut down the amount of junk mail by a bit.
    I then printed an "Addressed mail only" label and now I get practically none!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'm babysitting here, so I literally have someone sitting watching what I am doing all day. Miss hangin out with my TTTAY gang :(

Aw how old is the little one OldNotWise ?

It TA's me how some women see fit to, ahem, sprinkle all over a toilet seat and leave it there. Disgusting!! Do ya not look behind ya and check before exiting?? These are probably the same women who bitch about men doing it. Some women are just animals when it comes to public toilets. I'm still traumatised from about a year back, when I went to use the ladies in a local book shop. Let's just say the problem wasn't of the sprinkling variety, and all over the back of the seat. There is a special place reserved in Hell for whatever did that !

73 Cat Ew. Minging. I'm going to start carrying sanitising gel in my handbag

MsBubbles wrote: »
    73 Cat Ew. Minging. I'm going to start carrying sanitising gel in my handbag

I know :(. My heart went out to whoever had to clean it up.

I know :(. My heart went out to whoever had to clean it up.

When I was a student I had this little side job of putting up anti-aids posters in the mens and ladies jacks of various universities and collages.
    Without a doubt the ladies toilets were always the grossest, consistently. It was a real eye opener.

I'm still traumatised from about a year back, when I went to use the ladies in a local book shop. Let's just say the problem wasn't of the sprinkling variety, and all over the back of the seat. There is a special place reserved in Hell for whatever did that !

Not just restricted to toilets unfortunately. I once had to clean up non "sprinkling variety" in a changing room of a clothes shop I used to work in. This "lady" had asked to use the bathroom but was refused because it was only for staff. She went and looked around for a bit and brought something into the changing room with her. After a few minutes she came out, put the item back and left. I went in a while later and saw that the seat of the changing room was covered in - eh - brown stuff and that the "lady" had used the curtain to wipe. Thankfully the thing she brought in with her was spared. I have a fairly strong stomach so I told the (already sick) manager that I would clean it up. But the image still gives me the horrors. ... :O

OMG Rosie Rant, that is sick:(.

• Advertisement

Did the scatlady ever come back? You'd wonder what's wrong with people

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It TA's me how some women see fit to, ahem, sprinkle all over a toilet seat and leave it there. Disgusting!! Do ya not look behind ya and check before exiting?? These are probably the same women who bitch about men doing it. Some women are just animals when it comes to public toilets. I'm still traumatised from about a year back, when I went to use the ladies in a local book shop. Let's just say the problem wasn't of the sprinkling variety, and all over the back of the seat. There is a special place reserved in Hell for whatever did that !

I used to work in a few hostels around Dublin many years ago. Part of the job was to checkup on the toilets around the reception area and give them a tidy if they are out of shape.

Mens toilet - the odd blockage.

Womens toilet - piss and **** and blood and tissue and hair and makeup residue and many a blockage and hair bobbins everywhere. And those hair clip things too, the noise they make when being hoovered up.

Savages, women are savages in the jacks.

Still love yiz all.

Never saw her again, thank God. Haha scatlady :p. I know, it's absolutely inhuman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

With the service Iarnród Éireann provide, you probably could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    Not just restricted to toilets unfortunately. I once had to clean up non "sprinkling variety" in a changing room of a clothes shop I used to work in. This "lady" had asked to use the bathroom but was refused because it was only for staff. She went and looked around for a bit and brought something into the changing room with her. After a few minutes she came out, put the item back and left. I went in a while later and saw that the seat of the changing room was covered in - eh - brown stuff and that the "lady" had used the curtain to wipe. Thankfully the thing she brought in with her was spared. I have a fairly strong stomach so I told the (already sick) manager that I would clean it up. But the image still gives me the horrors. ... :O

Oh my god that is disgusting! You poor thing having to clean that up, I have awful images in my mind now.

Lexie the name scat lady is so funny:)

A girl here is sick. Instead of going home like a normal person she's walking around complaining to people that she's sick. F*ck off!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

danrua01 wrote: »
    A girl here is sick. Instead of going home like a normal person she's walking around complaining to people that she's sick. F*ck off!

God only knows what she is doing in the toilet

Zanablue wrote: »
    Oh my god that is disgusting! You poor thing having to clean that up, I have awful images in my mind now.

Lexie the name scat lady is so funny:)

I'm sorry for the images!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

Oh dear its going to be **** and toilet talk for the rest of today:)

• Advertisement

I'm changing the topic ! TA at my cat, Tiger he strolls into my bedroom at 4.30am climbs up on the bed and starts purring.
    I couldn't get back to sleep :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement