Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that annoy you Part 27

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Those Baby on board signs are ridiculous.

Can you imagine the emergency services NOT checking a car fully to make sure they had rescued all passengers?
    "No boss, we did not see the kid - did not bother looking in the back seat as there was no BOB sign".

Does. Not. Happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

It's just a way for pain in the arse parents to send a mass message to the population informing them they have a crotch goblin

Bravo...the phrase "crotch goblin" is just fantastic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

It's just a way for pain in the arse parents to send a mass message to the population informing them they have a crotch goblin

And you're upset that somebody called you a baby-hater?

Hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

dub_skav wrote: »
    And you're upset that somebody called you a baby-hater?

Hmmmm

I think "overbearing parent hater" is more apt. It's not a babies fault it's the spawn of morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Crotch goblin :pac: I don't even really know what it means but it just sounds funny to say :D Everyone who annoys me shall be a crotch goblin from now on.

• Advertisement

I'm going away this weekend and going to a gig next week so I was putting away money so that I'd be all set. I've just had to dip into my "just in case" money for an emergency and now I don't have any "just in case" money :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I'm going away this weekend and going to a gig next week so I was putting away money so that I'd be all set. I've just had to dip into my "just in case" money for an emergency and now I don't have any "just in case" money :(

Are you packing everything in a bag with Justin Bieber on it?

Edit: Sorry about Justin case, that's dreadful, even for me

That really was dreadful *shakes head sadly*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,216 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Could have been worse dub, I was initially thinking "who doesn't enjoy a bit of crotch gobblin'?"

>_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I have relatives on FB that are driving me pure mad at the moment with a constant stream of drivel about their kids/grandkids. I mean, they're lovely and all and it's nice to see a cute photo and see how big they've got and all that but...EVERY time I log on there is what can only be described as a Hallmark binge and purge on my feed. The grandmother is the worst. Keeps referring to her kids as "daughter 1" and "daughter 2" and her grandkids as (you guessed it) "granddaughter 1" etc. So a typical post might read:

"I am so proud of my beautiful daughter 1 who turned 25 today. She is an amazing woman and I am so proud of the mother she has become. Grandson 1 is ten months and 6 days and fourteen hours old and he is the light of our lives"

...and the next day

"I am feeling so lucky. I have two beautiful daughters (1 and 2) and the most amazing grandchildren. They are the best grandchildren in the world and I feel so lucky to have them. My daughter is the best daughter and the best mother in the world. Feeling lucky"

etc.....

And her daughter (daughter 1, lest we forget!) is the one who documented her entire pregnancy and birth and first two years of her baby's life on FB. First, there were half naked "bump" photos, then every "milestone" had to be documented. There were constant smart árse posts about breastfeeding and one liners about cows in fields wearing blankets and Rihanna not being asked to cover up or something... plus updates about baby yoga and baby sign language, why you shouldn't give your child sugar, why you shouldn't give out to your child if he has a tantrum, why you should keep them strapped to you until they are 14 years of age..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Do these people lose their own identity once the kids come along? It's not the kids faults either. I like kids, I can't wait to have my own. I'd be devastated if I couldn't. But I'm not going to lose my identity and start living vicariously through my children's daily achievements...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I have relatives on FB that are driving me pure mad at the moment with a constant stream of drivel about their kids/grandkids. I mean, they're lovely and all and it's nice to see a cute photo and see how big they've got and all that but...EVERY time I log on there is what can only be described as a Hallmark binge and purge on my feed. The grandmother is the worst. Keeps referring to her kids as "daughter 1" and "daughter 2" and her grandkids as (you guessed it) "granddaughter 1" etc. So a typical post might read:

"I am so proud of my beautiful daughter 1 who turned 25 today. She is an amazing woman and I am so proud of the mother she has become. Grandson 1 is ten months and 6 days and fourteen hours old and he is the light of our lives"

...and the next day

"I am feeling so lucky. I have two beautiful daughters (1 and 2) and the most amazing grandchildren. They are the best grandchildren in the world and I feel so lucky to have them. My daughter is the best daughter and the best mother in the world. Feeling lucky"

etc.....

And her daughter (daughter 1, lest we forget!) is the one who documented her entire pregnancy and birth and first two years of her baby's life on FB. First, there were half naked "bump" photos, then every "milestone" had to be documented. There were constant smart árse posts about breastfeeding and one liners about cows in fields wearing blankets and Rihanna not being asked to cover up or something... plus updates about baby yoga and baby sign language, why you shouldn't give your child sugar, why you shouldn't give out to your child if he has a tantrum, why you should keep them strapped to you until they are 14 years of age..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Do these people lose their own identity once the kids come along? It's not the kids faults either. I like kids, I can't wait to have my own. I'd be devastated if I couldn't. But I'm not going to lose my identity and start living vicariously through my children's daily achievements...

Go to Facebook post, click the little arrow (or V-like symbol) on top right, click "Unfollow [person]". That way you don't de-friend them, but you don't see their bullsh!t either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

ONW A Disciple of The Cult of Motherhood. Gimme strength

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Do you have any 'oh f*%K, now I'm screwed' money at hand?

Or people who use their kids as an excuse for everything. My best friend is terrible for it. Me and her are both firey, so when it blows up, take cover. But I'll be at her for something, and she'll worm the fact she has a child, thus making her time more precious, into it.
    Doesn't want to do something? "Baby has to take a nap"
    Doesn't want to answer her phone? "Just had baby in bath/baby had my phone/just trying to get baby to bed"

And that's all fine, perfectly fine, if the baby is in a routine and she doesn't want to disturb the routine, but if she decides to go somewhere or do something it doesn't matter about her nap, or if she has something to tell you, she can call. And she gets so mad when her calls aren't answered because what would I be busy at, I don't have a child.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Do you have any 'oh f*%K, now I'm screwed' money at hand?

No :(
    Or people who use their kids as an excuse for everything. My best friend is terrible for it. Me and her are both firey, so when it blows up, take cover. But I'll be at her for something, and she'll worm the fact she has a child, thus making her time more precious, into it.
    Doesn't want to do something? "Baby has to take a nap"
    Doesn't want to answer her phone? "Just had baby in bath/baby had my phone/just trying to get baby to bed"

And that's all fine, perfectly fine, if the baby is in a routine and she doesn't want to disturb the routine, but if she decides to go somewhere or do something it doesn't matter about her nap, or if she has something to tell you, she can call. And she gets so mad when her calls aren't answered because what would I be busy at, I don't have a child.

Ah you wait until you have kids Lexie, it'll all make sense to you then ;) :P :pac:

In sure there's people on this thread calling social services at the thoughts of such a thing 26!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Crotch goblin, love it!! +1 on the baby on board signs, hate em ! I've never had one, I hope people don't want to crash into me regardless whether or not my crotch goblin is in the car.

To the person driving the car in and out of the school with a red nose still attached... There are no words .....

73Cat wrote: »
    ...To the person driving the car in and out of the school with a red nose still attached... There are no words .....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93469486&postcount=697

:D

To the person driving the car in and out of the school with a red nose still attached... There are no words .....

The species of Car Reindeer you mention (Automobilus Ownerus Lazyassus) is still common in Ireland this time of year.
    They are known to first shed their antlers in mid January (often found strewn on roads with high crosswinds), but have been known to keep their red nose well into the summer.
    They often also adopt newer types of antlers, such as Leinster or Munster flags, which can extend well past the rugby season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Oh jeez yes, I saw someone yesterday with one of those red nose yokes still on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Our youngest is due to have surgery on her hip later in the year (no date yet) She requires a small procedure under general aneasthetic. which was due to take place yesterday. Leave booked, childcare for other kids, sorted and when get a call on Monday, with less than 24 hours to the operation to tell us its been cancelled because the surgeon has a 'long list and he is unlikely to get around to her'. So frustrating.

In short: The HSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm sorry now but I will never put them on the car. Even if in years to come the crotch goblin begs me to. I'm just going to have to be a grinch about it.

Stuffy noses. And then even when you blow it, it still feels stuffy.

Little shít-arse single-spindle computers - particularly laptops - that go off to Muppetland for half-an-hour whenever they're asked to do something substantial-ish, such as shunt a couple of gig of crap from hither to yon. Productivity. We've Heard Of It! :pac:

Stuffy noses. And then even when you blow it, it still feels stuffy.

Lash on some vicks vaporub!
    Great for clearing noses.

it may make you crazy though....

it's fupping menthol!!

Aw man, is that the stick you wedge up your nose? Love it!

Leo Varadkar.

Nobody cares if you're gay. I know you just came out to buy some votes for the Yes campaign.

You're going to take away all the nice cheap wine too.

I hate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

If you are going to push onto the Luas when there is clearly no room, you will certainly not be using my body to help you keep yourself upright and nor will you be brazenly pushing your arm across me, with part of you resting on my shoulder in order that you can place your hand on the rail that myself and others are using because we have placed ourselves in a place where it is accessible to us.

OldNotWise I nearly cried when I heard that on the radio. Why should I be punished cos some little scrote wants to drink till she/he falls over.

• Advertisement

Wait what's this about no cheap wine??

Lexie The government are trying to bring a law that will give alcohol a minimum price per unit.
    So a bottle of wine will cost a minimum of €8 and beer will cost €1.50 per can.
    Fecking ridiculous

Ban on below-cost selling of alcohol in supermarkets, apparently. There's been rumblings about it for a while.

I am appalled and disgusted

I live in the North. I can start some sort of cross-border, Pablo Escobar, type deal..

I am appalled and disgusted

So am I. I agree with a ban on below-cost selling, and a general ban on supermarkets selling alcohol (and mobile phone services, and motor insurance, and petrol, and annoying me generally, but anyway...) but this minimum pricing malarkey is ridiculous. In other words, it is more-or-less exactly the kind of nonsense I would expect in this uncivilised little backwater. What now is there to distinguish a cheap little €4 dinner-plonk from a middle-of-the-road Chilean, for example??

• Advertisement

danrua01 wrote: »
    I live in the North. I can start some sort of cross-border, Pablo Escobar, type deal..

They'll stamp that out too. They feckin leave us with nothing. A bottle of wine will be a minimum of eight euro! :(

What about that commotion lotion that is buckfast? Are kids not drinking that anymore?? That was what we used to drink as chungwans and it was more than 8 euro too.

They'll stamp that out too. They feckin leave us with nothing. A bottle of wine will be a minimum of eight euro! :(

Mate of mine pulls a trailer over to France with a huge Mercedes every year for shed-loads a' de vino. I've ridden shotgun a couple times, great craic. Just t'Good Ol' Boys... :pac:

C'mon, a bottle of Black Tower, €2.50... It'll be €3 if you're after Blossom Hill though...

What about that commotion lotion that is buckfast? Are kids not drinking that anymore?? That was what we used to drink as chungwans and it was more than 8 euro too.

As far as I know they're drinking oddly-coloured vodka, possibly with kerosene in it. And spare a thought for those great scruffy souls who walk abroad and take sup at any and all hours of the day, and call no-one master. What of them?? :pac:

• Advertisement

jimgoose a bottle of cremant in France €1.99 the same bottle here €11.99.
    Anyone have a van I can borrow ?

I was walking through temple bar this morning and there was three chungwans drinking neat vodka from a 75cl bottle of Smirnoff. I won't lie. I was a little jealous.

MsBubbles wrote: »
    OldNotWise I nearly cried when I heard that on the radio. Why should I be punished cos some little scrote wants to drink till she/he falls over.

Never mind that, the "health benefit" thing is just a smoke screen! They don't actually care if we drink ourselves to death. In fact they would popbably like that as it would be less pensions to pay out. The real reason is they have publican friends that they want to line the pockets of - and they can't do that if we are able to sit at home and drink. They also know that people who do binge drink at home are going to continue doing so, regardless of the cost. And for people affected by alcoholism? Well there'll be even less money left over for food and school books :( Why has nobody said this out loud? Am I the only one who can see through it? Of course if you say anything, you're an alcoholic. If you say you're not, you're in denial.

Never mind that, the "health benefit" thing is just a smoke screen! They don't actually care if we drink ourselves to death. In fact they would popbably like that as it would be less pensions to pay out. The real reason is they have publican friends that they want to line the pockets of - and they can't do that if we are able to sit at home and drink. They also know that people who do binge drink at home are going to continue doing so, regardless of the cost. And for people affected by alcoholism? Well there'll be even less money left over for food and school books :( Why has nobody said this out loud? Am I the only one who can see through it? Of course if you say anything, you're an alcoholic. If you say you're not, you're in denial.

We have a huge problem with drink in this country, and that problem is the Government and their clodhopper mates. As an aside, I'd nearly bet a day's pay that publicans will finagle an excuse out of this to raise the price of my pint of Plain as well. :mad:

jimgoose a bottle of cremant in France €1.99 the same bottle here €11.99.
    Anyone have a van I can borrow ?

We should all chip in and get a fleet of vans going. The TTTAY booze cruise! Imagine all the fun we'd have being TA'd by everything going over...and being merry as a fart coming back :P

jimgoose wrote: »
    We have a huge problem with drink in this country, and that problem is the Government and their clodhopper mates. As an aside, I'd nearly bet a day's pay that publicans will finagle an excuse out of this to raise the price of my pint of Plain as well. :mad:

I have no doubt that they will :(

A TTTAY booze cruise sounds brilliant. Curmugdeons United :D

A TTTAY booze cruise sounds brilliant. Curmugdeons United :D

Do we all post in the TTTMYH thread once we're boozed up and happy though? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,216 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You're not ONW, not by a long shot. The number of times I've seen children start school in September with no uniform and even worse no school books because their parents spent the back to school allowance on hiked up alcohol and cigarettes... absolutely infuriating.

Price hikes didn't work for cigarettes, they're not going to work for alcohol, because the people that suffer aren't the selfish fcuks that are lining their own pockets and killing their own livers, it's the next generation that comes after them will take the hit for their parents' ineptitude and the politicians pandering to special interest lobby groups and vintners' groups with vested interests.

whiskeyman hell no ! we start posting about the free range children and mouth breathers on the ferry.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement