Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to un-register from a module?

Options
  • 08-12-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Is it too late to un-register myself from a module and take an extra module next semester to make up for it? Or if I stay registered and don't sit the exam will it have a negative effect on my GPA?

Basically I'm registered to a Philosophy module that I haven't a notion about, despite attending the majority of lectures/tutorials I may as well be completely new to it and have no hope of passing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

beauty101 wrote: »
    Is it too late to un-register myself from a module and take an extra module next semester to make up for it? Or if I stay registered and don't sit the exam will it have a negative effect on my GPA?

Basically I'm registered to a Philosophy module that I haven't a notion about, despite attending the majority of lectures/tutorials I may as well be completely new to it and have no hope of passing.

If you withdraw after 6 weeks it's assigned a grade point of 0, so will have a negative effect. If you withdraw earlier it has a neutral GP.

Modular Grades Explained

Page 6 of that document.

If you can get extenuating circumstances you might still get a neutral grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

omicron wrote: »
    If you withdraw after 6 weeks it's assigned a grade point of 0, so will have a negative effect. If you withdraw earlier it has a neutral GP.

Modular Grades Explained

Page 6 of that document.

If you can get extenuating circumstances you might still get a neutral grade.

That's only if they choose to repeat the module in question. Which is not necessary unless it is a core. If substituting it with something else, it's treated it as a first time and there's no impact on GPA. It is expensive (€450 region) and it is not covered by free fees.

I have heard nothing but horror stories about philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    That's only if they choose to repeat the module in question. Which is not necessary unless it is a core. If substituting it with something else, it's treated it as a first time and there's no impact on GPA. It is expensive (€450 region) and it is not covered by free fees.

I have heard nothing but horror stories about philosophy.

My mistake, I took it up as the OP wanting to repeat the same module again next semester!

Advertisement