Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccines and autism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I happened upon an American parenting forum recently where there was a big thread of parents boasting about how they weren't vaccinating and their kids were going to be super strong and healthier because of it :eek: It's shocking that people in this day and age have this warped mentality and are willing to risk their own childrens lives and the lives of other immunosuppressed people just to suit their own pig ironied ignorance :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No harm in passing that along, even though it should be common knowledge.

I even encountered a locum GP who refused to vaccinate my eldest daughter for MMR. Thank feck my normal GP is a bit more clued in, and when she came back she was mortified at what the other one had said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Mrspostman... The mentality of some people is just so bizarre!! I can't fathom their thought processes at all! It's awful for their children, and just terrible that they are putting other kids at risk because of their own negligence.

Pwurple, that is ridiculous about that GP!!?? I would have thought all medical practitioners (who "should" be up to date with their practice) should stand by health promotion and prevention of illness.

I read about this docs fabricated research years ago. Just thought this link was a nice little synopsis for parents of some of the research that has been carried out since and really easy to read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Nothing makes my blood boil and gets my back up more than anti vaccine parents. They are relying on those of us who are responsible to protect their children. I know of enough horror stories of children left with lifelong conditions because of 'normal' childhood illnesses that could have been eliminated by now to make me not hesitate for a moment about vaccinating. I firmly believe school enrolment should require all vaccines to be up to date unless there is a medical reason to not vaccinate. There are immuno suppressed people at risk every day because of this crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's funny how these morons make snap decisions at the behest of celebrities yet ask for evidence when someone says that MMR is completely safe. The mind boggles.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

It's funny how these morons make snap decisions at the behest of celebrities yet ask for evidence when someone says that MMR is completely safe. The mind boggles.

If I got my hands on Jennie McCarthy......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

lazygal wrote: »
    If I got my hands on Jennie McCarthy......

Yupp. A playboy bunny. People are making medical decisions on their offspring's behalf based on the advice of a playboy bunny. It's almost a parody of itself.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Both my kids have autism, both vaccinated. I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked if I think their vaccinations were to blame. That doctor did a lot of damage and its going to take years to undo. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had to have my little girls immune system tested at 6 months to see if she was immuno compromised. Thankfully she wasn't but she gets sick all the time. She also gets sick after her vaccinations. She still gets them because picking up a viral infection/getting pneumonia is nothing compared to getting meningitis c for example. The amount of people who think I'm irresponsible for giving vaccinations shocks me. Absolutely shocks me. I just cannot understand it at all to be honest.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Both my kids have autism, both vaccinated. I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked if I think their vaccinations were to blame. That doctor did a lot of damage and its going to take years to undo. :mad:

Not only that it makes parents think "what if" and feel guilty for something that is not linked to autism if their children are diagnosed as being on the spectrum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

I've read that the majority of parents who decide against vaccines are highly educated!
    I can't imagine anyone who chooses not to vaccinate basing their decision on what a celebrity says.

sari wrote: »
    I've read that the majority of parents who decide against vaccines are highly educated!

You can be educated and an inconsiderate gob****e at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.

Relevant:

bdc9f6cbb2d0ea27dd1cf81434509887529e9417d2641417f626e6b365543e46.jpg

Also, there's an excellent page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/RtAVM?fref=ts

That was in response to other comments saying people who choose not to vaccinate do so based on the opinions of playboy bunnys and that they made snap decisions. The fact the majority of people who choose not to are highly educated would seem to cast doubt on that assumption.
    There is many reasons why someone doesn't vaccinte one reason may be an allergy to vaccine components or reactions to previous vaccines. So making sweeping statements like not doing so because of a playboy bunny could be very hurtful much in the same way that poster cyning now feels judged as irresponsible for vaccinating. My point is that we should be mindful of what we say and how it can hurt others before we make sweeping, negative statements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

That was in response to other comments saying people who choose not to vaccinate do so based on the opinions of playboy bunnys and that they made snap decisions. The fact the majority of people who choose not to are highly educated would seem to cast doubt on that assumption.
    There is many reasons why someone doesn't vaccinte one reason may be an allergy to vaccine components or reactions to previous reactions. So making sweeping statements like not doing so because of a playboy bunny could be very hurtful much in the same way that poster cyning now feels judged as irresponsible for vaccinating. My point is that we should be mindful of what we say and how it can hurt others before we make sweeping, negative statement

I'll very happily hurt someone's feelings before I'll consciously make the decision to risk babies' lives by not vaccinating my own baby.

Vaccinations can safely be given to babies with allergies under controlled conditions.

Even if your own child is unwell, it's no excuse to put other healthy babies at risk.

There is many reasons why someone doesn't vaccinte one reason may be an allergy to vaccine components or reactions to previous reactions. So making sweeping statements like not doing so because of a playboy bunny could be very hurtful much in the same way that poster cyning now feels judged as irresponsible for vaccinating. My point is that we should be mindful of what we say and how it can hurt others before we make sweeping, negative statement

Such allergies are usually quite rare and unfortunately, only discovered upon contact with the allergen, ie the vaccine. Of course there are legitimate reasons but they're in the minority.

There are a lot of people who've bought into the conspiracy theory that big Pharma tried to silence Wakefield and I have no problem labeling people like that as morons. Being highly educated means diddly squat in my experience. I'm an academic and I spend most of my time around such people. I know people with PhDs who come out with all sorts of nonsense.

I think it's more like the complete opposite to what cyning has experienced.

A lot of the reason to vaccinate is to protect those who cannot get vaccines. I know immunosuppressed children, and you have never encountered the level of hurt/fear/anger their parents experience when they meet someone who 'chooses' not to vaccinate for fuzzy reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Has anyone ever actually come across an anti-vaccine parent here? Just wondering how common it is in Ireland. I know it's very prevalent in the States but I've never come across any parents here who do not vaccinate by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have a cousin who caught the measles at 11 months days before she was due her MMR. She was so ill with them I cannot believe that people take the risk of not giving the MMR or waiting until the child can talk before giving it

• Advertisement

Woshy wrote: »
    Has anyone ever actually come across an anti-vaccine parent here? Just wondering how common it is in Ireland. I know it's very prevalent in the States but I've never come across any parents here who do not vaccinate by choice.

Closest I've come is meeting a fashion designer at a coffee shop in Brighton who said they were a form of mind control to get people spending before Christmas. Her "evidence" was a youtube video she saw once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would know of five or six parents. Most are anti the MMR only or else give the vaccines in dribs and drabs so the child it around 6 before they get all their baby vaccines.

I know of one mother who is anti all vaccines. She feels God has made her child perfect so he does not need them.

Closest I've come is meeting a fashion designer at a coffee shop in Brighton who said they were a form of mind control to get people spending before Christmas. Her "evidence" was a youtube video she saw once.

Jaysus!

I know a father that won't let his daughter swim because of the chlorine and turns the wifi off unless he needs it as he thinks it will damage her brain ( but uses a video baby monitor in her cot!) but that's the closest for me!

It's the exact same thing judgement is judgement. She is being labelled as irresponsible and those who choose not too are also being labelled irresponsible, that will feel the same and hurt in the same way.
    Everyone is entitled to have their own opinions be they positive or negative, everyone is also entitled to voice those opinions. I believe that we should just do it in a respectful way rather than nasty jibes and petty put downs.

Jaysus!

I know a father that won't let his daughter swim because of the chlorine and turns the wifi off unless he needs it as he thinks it will damage her brain ( but uses a video baby monitor in her cot!) but that's the closest for me!

Yupp. I won't speak about wifi but there are standards and legislation in place for exactly this reason.

The idiot I met came out with all sorts of stuff including how Sandy Hook didn't happen, AIDS was an attempt to eradicate homosexuality, etc.. while citing youtube videos. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

For the record I'm about as pro vaccine as you can get. It beyond irritates me when people don't vaccinate because they think there's a link with autism. My fil is immuno compromised post transplant so someone who chooses not to vaccinate their kids could potentially kill someone like that if there's an outbreak of measles etc. Someone's dad or grandad.

I get annoyed with people who think I'm mad to vaccinate when my child reacts to them. The reason I have to vaccinate her is because thanks to them I can't rely on herd immunity.

And in real life I know people who don't vaccinate. And I don't doubt for a second they think they are doing right by their children. Problem is their decisions affect me.

Oh gosh LOADS! I've an aunt who is into homeopathy, and encourages her children to not-vaccinate her grandchildren. They are all anti-vacc now.

I'd get about in the food sector as well, and am in a few gardening groups, the hippy force is strong in those social circles, so it's all herbal remedies and healing crystals instead of vaccines. I'm fairly hippy-leaning myself, we do our best to live relatively green and eco. But I cannot condone endangering children's lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

One of those 'anonymous' questions on the irish mummypages facebook page a few weeks ago was from a woman considering not vaccinating. There was a load of people telling her to cop on but I'd say 1 in 5 comments were egging her on, bleating on about poisoning the baby and causing autism etc etc :(

I mentioned it afterwards to my 89 year old retired nurse grandmother who said that if the anti vaccine crowd had been around in her time and seen the amount of deaths and horrific lifelong conditions children were left with because of these diseases, they might think twice about refusing something that is freely available to prevent them.

Interesting! I cloth nappy and a lot of parents that do that are pretty hippy-ish but I still haven't had any anti-vaccine views popping up in any of them I've met/spoken to.

In saying that, I now actively avoid online mummy Facebook groups/fora/websites etc (except boards!) because they were just pissing me off too much (oh the judging that goes on!) so maybe that's why it's passed me by :)

• Advertisement

It's the exact same thing judgement is judgement. She is being labelled as irresponsible and those who choose not too are also being labelled irresponsible, that will feel the same and hurt in the same way.
    Everyone is entitled to have their own opinions be they positive or negative, everyone is also entitled to voice those opinions. I believe that we should just do it in a respectful way rather than nasty jibes and petty put downs.

You're entitled to.opinions but not to endanger the population by refusing to vaccinate children who'll pay the price if they contract illnesses. Some illnesses cause sterility, some threaten pregnant women etc. Opinions not backed up by facts or formed because of a liar like Wakefield are not worthy of respect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement