Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccines and autism

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Listening to the BBC World Service at the moment. She's talking about her auto-immune situation, hep B and 'mercury toxicity'. She didn't really answer the interviewer's question, though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldserviceradio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Jerrica wrote: »
    What's she "not convinced" about?? It confers immunity to a newborn and is low risk, not sure what more convincing she might need tbh :confused: I got it and didn't think twice.

Yeah I was a little surprised - she told me to get the flu vaccine asap but would leave it up to me about the whooping cough one as it wasn't used very long in pregnant women and she referenced the swine flu/narcolepsy thing. I still plan to get it I was just wondering if most here did

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fairly robust exchange on air now..mercury.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Yeah I was a little surprised - she told me to get the flu vaccine asap but would leave it up to me about the whooping cough one as it wasn't used very long in pregnant women and she referenced the swine flu/narcolepsy thing. I still plan to get it I was just wondering if most here did

Newborn babies have died due to an outbreak of whooping cough in irish hospitals in the last couple of years. It's a total no brainer to me that a quick and easy vaccine for the mother that confers immunity to her baby is a better option than risking not bringing that baby home at all??

• Advertisement

On a more positive note.
    Once A Vaccine Skeptic, This Mom Changed Her Mind - Source

I know what it's like to be scared and just want to protect your children, and make the wrong decisions," Russo says.

When her daughter Vivian was born, "I was really adamant that she not get vaccines," Russo says. "I thought that she was going to be safe without them and they would unnecessarily introduce chemicals into her body that could hurt her."

"I had a lot of online acquaintances who claimed that their kids had become autistic because of vaccines," Russo says. "I got kind of swept up in that."

Her daughter's pediatrician, though, kept talking to Russo about vaccines. And, over the next couple of years, she began to reconsider her position.

She also began to worry about Vivian. At 16 months old, her daughter still wasn't walking and her speech was odd.

Over the next year or so, Russo allowed the pediatrician to give her daughter a few shots — though not the vaccine against measles, mumps and rubella.

Then, when Vivian was nearly 3, Russo decided her daughter should get all her vaccines. By that time, Russo says, it was pretty clear that Vivian had autism, caused by something other than a vaccination.

Her daughter is 6 now and has grown into a quirky kid who loves Pokemon and reading and writing and cats, Russo says.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/6661014?ir=Parents&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000037

Written by Jennifer Hibben-White in Toronto, Canada
    On February 9, I received a phone call from York Region Public Health, informing me that Griffin, alongside my mother and I, was potentially exposed to the measles virus while attending a newborn weigh-in appointment at my doctor's office in Markham on January 27.

Griffin was 15 days old at the time.

I was informed that someone who later developed measles sat in the doctor's waiting room between 1 hour before and 30 minutes before we arrived. I was also informed that measles is regarded as "airborne" and can stay in the air and on surfaces up to 2 hours after the infected person has left.

I was then asked if I had had the measles vaccine. I had.

Griffin. Griffin had not. Can not.

I was advised to not be around small children. If I worked in such an environment I would be written off work. I do work in such an environment; my home. Where I now sit with Griffin and my three year old, Aurelia, who has only been able to get one MMR vaccine so far. She is now, technically, exposed too. We are to sit tight and watch for symptoms: fever, cough, runny nose. If we develop any of these we are to call my doctor and arrange to come in under official medical precautions. We are to wait at home, in isolation, until February 17, after which the 21 days of possible incubation will have passed and we are clear.

You know what vaccines protect your children from? Pain. Suffering. Irreparable harm. Death.

And you would be the first to line up if you had an inkling of what the death of a child feels like.

You would be crawling through the streets on your hands and knees, begging, begging to get that vaccine into your precious babies because that is what I would have done, if I could, to save my daughter.

The fact is, there was no vaccine for her. Not for her illness. And she died. She died at age five and a half, and she is gone.

So, Griffin is now Schrödinger's baby. Simultaneously with measles, and without it. Until he develops symptoms, or until a further 7 days pass. One or other.

And I'm angry. Angry as hell.

I won't get angry at or blame the person in the waiting room. I would have likely done the same thing... you get sick, you go to the doctor. I have no idea what their story is and I will never know. But I do know one thing:

If you have chosen to not vaccinate yourself or your child, I blame you. I blame you.

You have stood on the shoulders of our collective protection for too long. From that high height, we have given you the privilege of our protection, for free. And in return, you gave me this week. A week from hell. Wherein I don't know if my baby will develop something that has death as a potential outcome.

Death.

Now, let's unpack this shall we. All out on the table.

You have no idea what this "potential outcome" means. No idea. I do. Unfortunately, I do.

You think you are protecting your children from thimerosal? You aren't. It's not in their vaccine.

You think you are protecting them from autism? You aren't. There is no, none, nada, nothing in science that proves this. If you want to use google instead of science to "prove me wrong" then I am happy to call you an imbecile as well as misinformed.

You think you are protecting them through extracts and homeopathy and positive thoughts and Laws of Attraction and dancing by candlelight on a full moon? You aren't. I PROTECT YOUR CHILD. We protect your child. By being concerned world citizens who care about ourselves, our fellow man, and our most vulnerable. So we vaccinate ourselves and our children.

You think you are protecting them by letting them eat their shovel full of dirt and reducing antibiotics and eating organic? You aren't. As an unvaccinated person you are only protected by our good graces. We let you be so privileged thanks to our willingness to vaccinate ourselves and our children.

I watch these arguments trotted out on Facebook and Twitter citing false science and long discredited "studies" that just won't stop and Jenny McCarthy quotes and "it's my choice" to not vaccinate... and I think... what would you have done if your child lay dying? Would you give them a scientifically proven, safe and effective vaccine and risk the minuscule likelihood of a side effect? Or would you let them go, knowing that at least they won't develop autism (which they wouldn't even develop anyway because science)?

And don't you dare tell me that you wouldn't vaccinate them then. Don't you dare. You have no idea what it feels like to go through what we went through.

So, look at Griffin. Tell me why he gets to bear the brunt of your stupidity and reckless abuse of our protection? Tell me.

Seven more days until I know that my baby is safe. Seven more days.

How is your week going, anti-vaxxers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

tinkerbell wrote: »

Wow. Very well written. I'm sitting here looking at my two week old and I can't imagine what the wait would be like praying he didn't develop measles

These anti vaxxers make my blood boil :mad: Measels could've been eradicated by now if it wasn't for their stupidity. The poor lady who wrote that article already has lost a daughter (aged 5) due to a bacterial infection in her blood, and now she has to go through this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

A toddler has died in Germany from measles: http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31585047 There's been 574 cases since October which is so scary to me. He was only 18 months old: it just doesn't bear thinking about :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Can you get a vaccine against the vomiting bug/ Norovirus? i thought i read something maybe here but cant anything really on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Suucee wrote: »
    Can you get a vaccine against the vomiting bug/ Norovirus? i thought i read something maybe here but cant anything really on it.

I don't believe so for norovirus suucee. It is possible to get a vaccine for rotavirus however.

ok whats the difference ir which is which

mmm im still a little confused. so far this winter my 2 have had the "vomiting bug" twice. first time was bad but was ok after about 24-48hrs.
    second time was terrible, severe vomiting and toddler got it so bad. vomiting in her sleep by times (luckily had her in bed beside us)
    poor divil was even sitting on the toilet with diarrhoea and i had to grab the bin as she started vomiting too.
    Myself and my husband got it the first time but only i got it second time but not too bad.

A few family members have it again and we have been in contact with them so im dreading my 2 getting it again.

So what is it they had then.

I obviously can't say for sure suucee. But I would hazard a guess and say it's norovirus. In our hospital the norovirus is usually called "the winter vomiting bug" or "vomiting and diarrhoea" and it's rampant in the hospitals and in the community at this time of year. Easily caught from play groups etc. I've had it a couple times and so have the kids. It's so so easy to pick up. Funny thing is, I never caught it working (where I dealt with it constantly (for years) during the winter months)... Yet I've had it numerous times since T was born and we've been going to play cafes etc.

The main preventative measure is thorough hand hygiene. I must wash my hands about 100 times per day, the skin is falling off them. But there is no vaccine or treatment. Just keep hydrated and disinfect things after use.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I obviously can't say for sure suucee. But I would hazard a guess and say it's norovirus. In our hospital the norovirus is usually called "the winter vomiting bug" or "vomiting and diarrhoea" and it's rampant in the hospitals and in the community at this time of year. Easily caught from play groups etc. I've had it a couple times and so have the kids. It's so so easy to pick up. Funny thing is, I never caught it working (where I dealt with it constantly (for years) during the winter months)... Yet I've had it numerous times since T was born and we've been going to play cafes etc.

The main preventative measure is thorough hand hygiene. I must wash my hands about 100 times per day, the skin is falling off them. But there is no vaccine or treatment. Just keep hydrated and disinfect things after use.

Oh well. Yea we were a bit more prepared this time round but they got it so bad. L wasnt too bad. had it 5-6 times first day and less second day when diarrhea started. but poor A was vomiting nearly every hour or more. was literally lying down asleep and would vomit then have a drink go back asleep for about and hour and then repeat. i ran out of bed sheets and had to put towels in the bed then had to go to pennys the next day and grab some sheets and towels as i couldnt keep up with the washing.
    My sis had it and my niece and her son in the past few days and we were around them. A wasnt herself today so terrified she may be brewing it again.

I bloody steam cleaned the whole house after last time. ill crack if they get it again.

Oh and yea my hands are terribly cracked from all the washing.

• Advertisement

Suucee wrote: »
    Oh well. Yea we were a bit more prepared this time round but they got it so bad. L wasnt too bad. had it 5-6 times first day and less second day when diarrhea started. but poor A was vomiting nearly every hour or more. was literally lying down asleep and would vomit then have a drink go back asleep for about and hour and then repeat. i ran out of bed sheets and had to put towels in the bed then had to go to pennys the next day and grab some sheets and towels as i couldnt keep up with the washing.
    My sis had it and my niece and her son in the past few days and we were around them. A wasnt herself today so terrified she may be brewing it again.

I bloody steam cleaned the whole house after last time. ill crack if they get it again.

Oh and yea my hands are terribly cracked from all the washing.

Suucee it's just so awful. L had a really bad dose of it all over Xmas. It's horrible seeing them so sick. If baba gets it Just remember to make sure he stays adequately hydrated. If baba is vomitinrg every hour he's at high risk of becoming dehydrated and if he doesn't take enough fluids may need a hospital visit and drip. I HATE norovirus. It's absolutely horrible!

Has anyone gotten the MenB vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

tinkerbell wrote:

Yes, well first of 3 doses is done and second one in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No, not on the schedule yet here. Got the men c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Yes. One child done and a second getting it this month. It's two jabs for us, gp does it after scheduled ones.

Any ill effects after? Planning on getting it this month. What price did you both pay for it also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

tinkerbell wrote:
    Any ill effects after? Planning on getting it this month. What price did you both pay for it also?

Baby slept for a good bit that day afterwards. Highish temp that night but didn't get to 38. Baby was fine the day after.

GP's surgery couldn't order the vaccine in for me so I got it from tesco pharmacy with a prescription for 130e and had to pay adminstration costs for the nurse giving it.

Ask for or keep the leaflet in the vaccine box. it lists all the known possible side effects and the risk of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Paid more than €130 for each jab. I can't remember exactly. And then gp fees for the two shots. No ill effects apart from sleeping it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I have a brother living in Belfast - I wonder is it any cheaper to buy it up north? And do you need a prescription for it - and if so, would they accept one from ROI up north?

• Advertisement

Definitely need a prescription, and yes Irish prescriptions are valid in other EU countries

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement