Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccines and autism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I have a brother living in Belfast - I wonder is it any cheaper to buy it up north? And do you need a prescription for it - and if so, would they accept one from ROI up north?

You can, but I think it has a very short shelf life, so you'd want to be sure of the time line for administering it. I'm lazy (hence the name:D) so I went to the pharmacy that's right next door to my GP practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I have a brother living in Belfast - I wonder is it any cheaper to buy it up north? And do you need a prescription for it - and if so, would they accept one from ROI up north?

You definitely need a prescription in ROI for it. No idea about your other questions sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

lazygal wrote:
    You can, but I think it has a very short shelf life, so you'd want to be sure of the time line for administering it. I'm lazy (hence the name) so I went to the pharmacy that's right next door to my GP practice.

I don't think it's that short a shelf life. Tesco pharmacy ordered all three doses for me at once and are keeping the 2nd and 3rd until I need them. The vaccine does need to be kept refrigerated though. I had to collect it with a picnic bag with ice pack and then bring it to the GP like that too. Handy that you have a pharmacy beside your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Just awful :(.

My son (2y4m) started Playschool last week. On the application form I filled out that day there was an immunisation tick box to check whether children are up to date etc. (not sure if this is standard in all play schools or montessoris?). But anyway I told the owner he was up to date and asked her was there anyone in the Playschool that wasn't up to date or what happens if they aren't. She told me she hadn't actually come accross this situation as all kids there have all been ticked off as up to date. So that was reassuring I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Martx

People and children could get a whooping cough from vaccinated people as well as from any other people: " This research suggests that although individuals immunized with an acellular pertussis vaccine MAY be protected from disease, they MAY still become infected with the bacteria without always getting sick and are able to spread infection to others, including young infants who are susceptible to pertussis disease."

Martx wrote: »
    People and children could get a whooping cough from vaccinated people as well as from any other people: " This research suggests that although individuals immunized with an acellular pertussis vaccine MAY be protected from disease, they MAY still become infected with the bacteria without always getting sick and are able to spread infection to others, including young infants who are susceptible to pertussis disease."

This is true. But it's also true for every vaccine and vaccine related illness. What's your point? No vaccine is absolutely 100% fullproof. That is a known fact. But this is about risk reduction.

My son is 6 and has classic autism. I vaccinated him and if I could go back in time I would vaccinate again. I'm pregnant with my second and will also vaccinate this child..why?

Because while autism is a difficult journey, at least I'm more assured my child is protected from illness that has the potential to be deadly.

There are absolutely no credible studies to show a correlation or causation of vaccines and autism. My son was born with autism, it's in his DNA.

Sadly, I can't post direct link to credible studies, because I'm a new member here. But if you google this "30 Scientific Studies Showing the Link between Vaccines and Autism" or "Fourteenstudies", you will find articles with links to peer reviewed study's which suggests a possible link.

Sadly, I can't post direct link to credible studies, because I'm a new member here. But if you google this "30 Scientific Studies Showing the Link between Vaccines and Autism" or "Fourteenstudies", you will find articles with links to peer reviewed study's which suggests a possible link.

Suggesting a possible link is not giving evidence of probable causative factors. Absolute tripe.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    This is true. But it's also true for every vaccine and vaccine related illness. What's your point? No vaccine is absolutely 100% fullproof. That is a known fact. But this is about risk reduction.

Risk reduction comes with price. And doctors don't tell parents that. The reason for that is that they know very little about vaccines and immunology. If you disagree, just ask your GP: how do you report adverse events or what are the chances for newborn to contract disease which is transmitted through sexual intercourse, junkies sharing dirty needles and blood transfusion? I can ensure you that 90% won't give you a straight answer.Whooping cough vaccine is known to be little effective. And it causes more problems, because bacteria is mutating and becoming resistant to treatment. There are outbreaks even in highly vaccinated populations. Pubmed article no. 8195607 is just one example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

And the second article in the google search (for me) with this query is entitled "75 studies that show no link between vaccines and autism"

No mainstream/credible/recognized source claims a link, most/all of them deny any link.

When we got our third child vaccinated, we already had autism diagnoses for his two older siblings, and we still got him vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Risk reduction comes with price. And doctors don't tell parents that. The reason for that is that they know very little about vaccines and immunology. If you disagree, just ask your GP: how do you report adverse events or what are the chances for newborn to contract disease which is transmitted through sexual intercourse, junkies sharing dirty needles and blood transfusion? I can ensure you that 90% won't give you a straight answer.Whooping cough vaccine is known to be little effective. And it causes more problems, because bacteria is mutating and becoming resistant to treatment. There are outbreaks even in highly vaccinated populations. Pubmed article no. 8195607 is just one example.

There are multiple credible articles on the net and elsewhere about the death of children from preventable conditions, but few (if any) proven cases about deaths causes by vaccination.

I don't know what doctor you are seeing, but my practice has fully informed me of the benefits and risks associated with vaccination. And I chose to vaccinate as the benefits far far far outweigh the risks to my babies and to other babies, elderly and vulnerable people in the community. Also, it's not just up to the medical professionals to inform people. It is also up to people to inform themselves if they are anyway able. This is why you will find no articles (peer reviewed) giving anything thing other than suggestive links as you call them. Suggestions are opinions. And to be frank, opinions mean sweet fu*k all in medicine if you can't back them up with research and evidence.

There are multiple credible articles on the net and elsewhere about the death of children from preventable conditions, but few (if any) proven cases about deaths causes by vaccination.

Clearly you haven't read enough to make this conclusion. Example: Since 2003 there's 0 related deaths from measles, but there was over a 100 deaths caused by MMR vaccine. Have you ever seen or heard about this on media? :) And they don't report what was health condition of those who died because of "preventable" disease.

I don't know what doctor you are seeing, but my practice has fully informed me of the benefits and risks associated with vaccination. And I chose to vaccinate as the benefits far far far outweigh the risks to my babies and to other babies, elderly and vulnerable people in the community. Also, it's not just up to the medical professionals to inform people. It is also up to people to inform themselves if they are anyway able. This is why you will find no articles (peer reviewed) giving anything thing other than suggestive links as you call them. Suggestions are opinions. And to be frank, opinions mean sweet fu*k all in medicine if you can't back them up with research and evidence.

And what peer reviewed independent study's you were show by your doctor? I highly doubt that you were told that your baby could die because of vaccines or become permanently ill.

I'm actually too tired to even get into this ridiculous discussion tonight ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Clearly you haven't read enough to make this conclusion. Example: Since 2003 there's 0 related deaths from measles, but there was over a 100 deaths caused by MMR vaccine. Have you ever seen or heard about this on media? :) And they don't report what was health condition of those who died because of "preventable" disease.

96,000 deaths alone in 2013. Thats a bit more than 0. Down from 545,000 in 1990. Before the vaccine it was in the millions.

And what peer reviewed independent study's you were show by your doctor? I highly doubt that you were told that your baby could die because of vaccines or become permanently ill.

My doc didn't show me any peer reviewed studies. I'm a healthcare professional and previous university lecturer. I'm quite capable of finding these studies myself on the various medical databases. Most people would be able to do this also if they were anyway inclined.

And the second article in the google search (for me) with this query is entitled "75 studies that show no link between vaccines and autism[/URL]"

No mainstream/credible/recognized source claims a link, most/all of them deny any link.

When we got our third child vaccinated, we already had autism diagnoses for his two older siblings, and we still got him vaccinated.

I'm not saying that 100% cases of autism are caused by vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭worded

I'm actually too tired to even get into this ridiculous discussion tonight ....

Tired - poss caused by an injection years ago ?

• Advertisement

And also

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/mmrdeaths.asp

For a vaccine to be a bad thing it needs to cause more harm than the disease it prevents.

worded wrote: »
    Tired - poss caused by an injection years ago ?

Rofl...

My doc didn't show me any peer reviewed studies. I'm a healthcare professional and previous university lecturer. I'm quite capable of finding these studies myself on the various medical databases. Most people would be able to do this also if they were anyway inclined.

Very good. Could you provide me a link to a peer reviewed, independent,double-blinded placebo controlled safety study to DTaP or MMR vaccine? Or any other vaccine which are recommended for newborns ? Study conducted by manufacturer or funded by manufacturer is not "independent" or reliable.

Why are you asking me to do the work for you? It's not my job to educate you. Go educate yourself....

Fwiw, I only educate students who are open minded and willing to learn from evidence based practice and scientific research. Not those who make up
    Ridiculous unfounded statements (like "there has been 0 deaths from measles") And plaster them all over the Internet....

Why are you asking me to do the work for you? It's not my job to educate you. Go educate yourself....

I'm asking you as "healthcare professional and previous university lecturer" because so far I didn't find any (trained healthcare professionals didn't find any either) and I would be glad to see any evidence.

I'm asking you as "healthcare professional and previous university lecturer" because so far I didn't find any (trained healthcare professionals didn't find any either) and I would be glad to see any evidence.

Whats your source for the 0 measles deaths and 100 MMR vaccines deaths?(The one that has been proven wrong) Maybe they can check there.

Fwiw, I only educate students who are open minded and willing to learn from evidence based practice and scientific research. Not those who make up
    Ridiculous unfounded statements (like "there has been 0 deaths from measles") And plaster them all over the Internet....

Don't be lazy and email CDC, would be great if you could post here the reply you will get.
    0 deaths was stated by Dr. Anne Schuchat, the director of CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

Whats your source for the 0 measles deaths and 100 MMR vaccines deaths?(The one that has been proven wrong) Maybe they can check there.

The figure came from VAERS, you can check yourself there.

• Advertisement

Don't be lazy and email CDC, would be great if you could post here the reply you will get.
    0 deaths was stated by Dr. Anne Schuchat, the director of CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

Where did she say that. Was it around the time she came out with this?
    http://www.livescience.com/49637-measles-cases-us-vaccination.html
    The figure came from VAERS, you can check yourself there.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/data/index

"A report to VAERS generally does not prove that the identified vaccine(s) caused the adverse event described. It only confirms that the reported event occurred sometime after vaccine was given. No proof that the event was caused by the vaccine is required in order for VAERS to accept the report. VAERS accepts all reports without judging whether the event was caused by the vaccine."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement