Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccines and autism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deedless

Good to know, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I never knew about the chickenpox vac. My guys are 8.5mnths and 2.5yrs so think i will look into that.
    How much does it cost out of interest.

On a side note there was an issue with my lil mans name on all his hospital records . (Myself and OH not married. Kids have daddys surname but were recorded as "baby mysurname" at birth, so he got a bit lost in tge system) And this meant it didnt come up that he had started his vaccines. I got a letter out when he was 3 mnths with loads of info about the importance etc etc. A help line number to ring with queries.
    I rang to say we were up to date. But then got another letter out and then a phone call.
    They obviously try hard to get anyone who can to vaccinate.

Also its funny most schools will ask for a bloody christening cert but not vaccine passport. Madness. Utter madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wouldn't take the letters personally. I've gotten them too and our children have both our surnames. The chicken pox vaccine price varies, so call a couple of pharmacists. I think it cost us about €250 for each child including two gp visits. When we put that against them having to suffer and our needing to take time off and the other problems it was an easy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

lazygal wrote: »
    I wouldn't take the letters personally. I've gotten them too and our children have both our surnames. The chicken pox vaccine price varies, so call a couple of pharmacists. I think it cost us about €250 for each child including two gp visits. When we put that against them having to suffer and our needing to take time off and the other problems it was an easy decision.

Oh no the letters didnt bother me i only mentioned as in they try hard to get people to vaccinate providing loads of info .
    It is annoying that his name has still to be sorted. I had to fill out a change of name form twice as they lost the first provide birth cert . Didnt have this with no 1 but thats another matter.

yea i think i will look in to that. Baba will probably need scheduled ones first but i can chevk it out for 2.5yr old. Im at home full time so she hasnt gone to creche but will probably start montessori next year . I remembering having them in the middle of a heat wave. I was so uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Suucee wrote: »
    Oh no the letters didnt bother me i only mentioned as in they try hard to get people to vaccinate providing loads of info .
    It is annoying that his name has still to be sorted. I had to fill out a change of name form twice as they lost the first provide birth cert . Didnt have this with no 1 but thats another matter.

yea i think i will look in to that. Baba will probably need scheduled ones first but i can chevk it out for 2.5yr old. Im at home full time so she hasnt gone to creche but will probably start montessori next year . I remembering having them in the middle of a heat wave. I was so uncomfortable.

We decided to get the vaccine as my daughter was in creche and I was pregnant, and my husband has never had chickenpox. Even though my second won't go to creche we are definitely going to get it for her and are now going to look into Menb vaccine, didn't realise it was available.

Anything I can do to reduce the amount of illness and pain they may suffer I will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I cannot believe that parents are not informed about these extra vaccines in Ireland. My daughter's paediatrician told me about all the additional ones and set them into the scheduled ones for me. I opted to go for all of them so on top of the usual ones, my daughter was also vaccinated for pneumonia (only covers 13 strains though), rotavirus, chickenpox and men b.
    I really think people should be informed of these additional ones right from the baby's first checkup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We do the extra vaccines here too. My daughter has been through 4 chicken pox creche/playschool outbreaks so far unscathed. Not having to lose the workdays alone has paid for it, so financially I can justify it that way. It's great to be able to avoid the distress of it. They get so miserable and upset when they are sick.

We got the rotavirus drop as well. Any avoidance of tummy bugs is beyond brilliant. The less puke and diarrhea in our lives the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

How much is the rotavirus one and how long does it last? I might consider that one for all of us as 4 people getting the vomiting bug would be beyond miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

How much is the rotavirus one and how long does it last? I might consider that one for all of us as 4 people getting the vomiting bug would be beyond miserable.

I don't know about back home, but her I think I paid 68€ per dose and there were 3 of them (Rotateq at 2, 4 and 6 months). I think it lasts 3 years (if I remember correctly)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Xdancer wrote: »
    I cannot believe that parents are not informed about these extra vaccines in Ireland. My daughter's paediatrician told me about all the additional ones and set them into the scheduled ones for me. I opted to go for all of them so on top of the usual ones, my daughter was also vaccinated for pneumonia (only covers 13 strains though), rotavirus, chickenpox and men b.
    I really think people should be informed of these additional ones right from the baby's first checkup.

The pneumococcal vaccine is part of the primary immunisation schedule here (prevenar 13) so is given to all children as standard.

For those interested in MenB vaccination at a younger age (and small babies are at risk) it can be given at 2, 4 and 6 months with a booster after they turn 1 year. This is the schedule being used in those countries that have introduced it into their primary immunisation schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Can anyone tell me why they recommend all pregnant women get the whooping cough jab nowadays? IIRC up until a few years ago, they only recommended it to women who wouldn't have previously been immunised against it but now they recommend it to all pregnant women. Would you not be passing on some level of immunity to the baby if you had gotten the vaccine as a child yourself?

Can anyone tell me why they recommend all pregnant women get the whooping cough jab nowadays? IIRC up until a few years ago, they only recommended it to women who wouldn't have previously been immunised against it but now they recommend it to all pregnant women. Would you not be passing on some level of immunity to the baby if you had gotten the vaccine as a child yourself?
    The vaccine only lasts ten years so while your immune system is lower during pregnancy it's recommended you get it and also to protect the baby. Because of lower vaccine rates there have been more outbreaks in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I didn't think they did a blanket one. They did a blood test for me and said i didn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I was advised to get it due to recent outbreaks and the fact that the baby would be unprotected until it's first set of vaccines. I didn't get it on my first as there was no major outbreak and similarly, my first was a summer baby so I didn't need to get the flu vaccine either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Do any of the pro vaccination people have kids on the spectrum? I do and if I had my time over again I would never get him vaccinated. The day I brought him in to get the last shots a voice in my head was screaming at me not to do it but I was a sheep. I don't trust pharmaceutical companies. There is something doing serious damage to our children. Our HSE psychologist told me that the new thinking on autism is that 1 in 20 boys are somewhere on the spectrum.

It's easy for for parents who don't have to deal with autism every minute of every day to want all kids to be vaccinated but guess what - you won the lottery and it didn't damage your child but I firmly believe we don't know the half of it and anyone who is adamant that vaccines don't cause autism is being very naive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

CaraMay wrote: »
    Do any of the pro vaccination people have kids on the spectrum? I do and if I had my time over again I would never get him vaccinated. The day I brought him in to get the last shots a voice in my head was screaming at me not to do it but I was a sheep. I don't trust pharmaceutical companies. There is something doing serious damage to our children. Our HSE psychologist told me that the new thinking on autism is that 1 in 20 boys are somewhere on the spectrum.

It's easy for for parents who don't have to deal with autism every minute of every day to want all kids to be vaccinated but guess what - you won the lottery and it didn't damage your child but I firmly believe we don't know the half of it and anyone who is adamant that vaccines don't cause autism is being very naive

My son is 6 and has classic autism. I vaccinated him and if I could go back in time I would vaccinate again. I'm pregnant with my second and will also vaccinate this child..why?

Because while autism is a difficult journey, at least I'm more assured my child is protected from illness that has the potential to be deadly.

There are absolutely no credible studies to show a correlation or causation of vaccines and autism. My son was born with autism, it's in his DNA.

I don't agree it's just DNA. Explain the explosion of autism....

It's an increase in diagnosed ASD cases. In the past children were written off as odd or were sent to institutions rather than being properly diagnosed. Going back over our families there's many "mentally challenging" people who today would have been diagnosed and treated differently. The only explosion is in cases of measles and other preventable illnesses that do serious damage and should have been eliminated by now.

1 in 20 is not down to diagnosis only. My point is that people fret over giving E numbers in their kids good yet let these vaccines be pumped into them without thinking twice. People were told for 40 years that cigarettes didn't cause cancer. Look how that turned out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Both my children have high functioning autism but I wouldn't change the fact that I had them vaccinated.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Both my children have high functioning autism but I wouldn't change the fact that I had them vaccinated.

I would...

1 in 20 is not down to diagnosis only. My point is that people fret over giving E numbers in their kids good yet let these vaccines be pumped into them without thinking twice. People were told for 40 years that cigarettes didn't cause cancer. Look how that turned out

There are immune system issues in my family and thanks to vaccines people are alive today. Vaccines do not cause autism and never have. There are children who die because of preventable diseases like measles. They are the ones being damaged by the anti vaccine conspiracy theories. People were told by Wakefield that there was a link. There isn't.

But my point is that you cannot know that for sure. You are relying on information being provided by an industry who have no qualms about lying in order to make money.

But my point is that you cannot know that for sure. You are relying on information being provided by an industry who have no qualms about lying in order to make money.

You obviously have views on pharmaceutical companies I don't share. That doesn't mean you can claim vaccines are linked to autism. They aren't. That's not me saying it that's the evidence from more than "big pharmaceutical". I love modern medicine. Thanks to big pharma my family has people alive who would've died a generation ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

I think the countless peer reviewed papers supporting the benefits of vaccination outway the utter tripe spouted by the anti vaccination websites and idiotic supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

This really gets to me.

I underwent chemo which wiped my immune system and now I am on immunosuppressive medication. If I came into contact with a child with no vaccines I can catch illnesses which could quite easily kill me!

They think they are doing good by their child but they're not a and they're harming other people with their warped views!!

A lot of preventable illnesses are on the rise because of these people! I don't like the thoughts of a nanny state myself but some vaccines should be mandatory!

chocksaway wrote: »
    I think the countless peer reviewed papers supporting the benefits of vaccination outway the utter tripe spouted by the anti vaccination websites and idiotic supporters.

The same tripe was spouted for years about cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Yeah but im pretty sure everyone at the time knew healing thoughts and magic crystals wouldnt cure anything

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

The same tripe was spouted for years about cigarettes

No. Tobacco companies were saying this. Not doctors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

There was a 50% increase in childhood leukaemia between 1975 and 2005 and I'm sure that if Wakefield had chosen leukaemia over autism, there would be parents here now blaming the vaccines for their kids leukaemia. Fact of the matter is that Wakefield lied and there is no evidence that links childhood vaccinations with either autism or leukaemia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement