Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monksland Retail Park

• 08-12-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭

Mentioned in the odd other thread about development in the town, this area seems to be in a dreadful state. Other than places being redeveloped for fitness/yoga etc, there doesn't seem to be many retailers getting on the scene.

Im not sure why. The area has high foot/traffic numbers, is near a highly populated suburb of the town and Motorway adjacent - not to mention much cheaper rent than setting up in town. You'd think with Naughten's office nextdoor - he would be able to lure business in also.

In short, I'd like to figure out why the place hasn't taken off?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The place has gone to dirt. It would make a great retail area, but no one seems to interested. I see however, a link road is being built between the park and the Monksland area itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Mentioned in the odd other thread about development in the town, this area seems to be in a dreadful state. Other than places being redeveloped for fitness/yoga etc, there doesn't seem to be many retailers getting on the scene.

Im not sure why. The area has high foot/traffic numbers, is near a highly populated suburb of the town and Motorway adjacent - not to mention much cheaper rent than setting up in town. You'd think with Naughten's office nextdoor - he would be able to lure business in also.

In short, I'd like to figure out why the place hasn't taken off?

I think it's down to lack of consumer confidence. People are being taxed too much. The feel good factor is missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Itzy wrote: »
    The place has gone to dirt. It would make a great retail area, but no one seems to interested. I see however, a link road is being built between the park and the Monksland area itself.

Sorry can you go into more detail?
    The link road was being built and then they stopped at end of the boom or there is currently construction?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The rates and rent to lease a unit up there is beyond madness. Like the housing market, rates need to be a little more realistic if business is to be promoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Monksland is in Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Monksland is in Roscommon

Sigh...Most Athlonians don't like the Roscommon affiliation. Roscommon forum is a tumbleweed zone, so may as well post here.

Even the Bay posts it's address as Westmeath, so for me your sound as far as Bealnamulla.

Monksland may be a part of County Roscommon, but it's still heavily dependent on Athlone. I, myself, live on the Roscommon side of the Westmeath border and I've seen this side left behind. Yes there has been significant development in the area, in terms of a retail park, houses and so on, but it still needs further work.

that's cause Westmeath Council don't care about it, never have.
    It should be given back to Roscommon

I (sort of) agree with this. However, politics aside, its surely a good location for the likes of Heatons etc to set up - look at their places in Tullamore, Blanch etc - same sort of places. Do they really need a council to get them on board?

I (sort of) agree with this. However, politics aside, its surely a good location for the likes of Heatons etc to set up - look at their places in Tullamore, Blanch etc - same sort of places. Do they really need a council to get them on board?

Large retailers shouldn't need the coercion of the County Council. The area should speak for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Sorry can you go into more detail?
    The link road was being built and then they stopped at end of the boom or there is currently construction?

Sorry, meant to answer this awhile ago. They've started to complete the road in the last few weeks.

The thing is, if you come back in towards town and across from Alkermes, there are more than amble units that could cater for the businesses mentioned in the article and a considerable amount of unused office space. The area could do with a decent sized retailer like Aldi or Lidl, which I believe was vetoed be other local businesses in fear of losing custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I can't see that part of town ever reaching the potential that people expect it to. I drove down the old Tuam road the other day and needed to slow down to crawling speed and put on full beams because it's in absolute ****e condition with no lighting. When they were re-developing that roundabout outside of river village a few years ago, two of my friends blew out tyres and buckled wheels on the mess that was left there.

Denis Naughton has his constituency office there but he doesn't give a ****e, everyone that votes for him is in Roscommon town. Maybe he fixes their roads? Doesn't look like it from what I've seen in Roscommon town. I've seen him at several funerals of family members of mine, he's not a friend of the family and probably never met the deceased in each case. When the Roscommon crowd were standing on the town bridge in Athlone protesting about their hospital, I remember seeing several of them holding Denis Naughton posters with "Naughton for President" written on them.

That's Monkland's main problem, it's in Roscommon.

...That's Monkland's main problem, it's in Roscommon.

It wouldn't be any better if it were in Westmeath. I have seen the area improve some what over the last few years. Like the older Monksland area, the roads beyond the new Roundabout needs to resurfaced.

Itzy wrote: »
    It wouldn't be any better if it were in Westmeath. I have seen the area improve some what over the last few years. Like the older Monksland area, the roads beyond the new Roundabout needs to resurfaced.

I think it would tbh. I'm not a fan of the councillors running the Westmeath CC but I honestly a better job is done in Westmeath. Roscommon is always a long way behind.

Real wasted potential out there in Monkland, especially when the Roscommon council won't even surface the roads.

Not to go off on a tangent, but look at the state of the exits from the bypass on the Roscommon side. The main road from Dublin to Galway and once you cross the Shannon, you have to drive from 100 kmph into a spiral at every junction. It's the only part of the whole M6 where you have to do this. It's absolutely lethal.

Again, being inside the boundaries of Roscommon is the thing that will fail Monksland. There's massive potential there but it will never be fulfilled. People had high hopes for it because they built gigantic housing estates there, but you only have to look at the rest of that county to see how they run things. Roscommon town is a ****hole, Boyle is a ****hole, Castlerea is a ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Not to go off on a tangent, but look at the state of the exits from the bypass on the Roscommon side. The main road from Dublin to Galway and once you cross the Shannon, you have to drive from 100 kmph into a spiral at every junction. It's the only part of the whole M6 where you have to do this. It's absolutely lethal.

Again, being inside the boundaries of Roscommon is the thing that will fail Monksland. There's massive potential there but it will never be fulfilled. People had high hopes for it because they built gigantic housing estates there, but you only have to look at the rest of that county to see how they run things. Roscommon town is a ****hole, Boyle is a ****hole, Castlerea is a ****hole.

Was thinking of these spiral exits on the M6 and how many crashes into barriers if there is snow/ ice before it is gritted.

that is actually Westmeath County Council's fault.
    they designed the entire bypass at the time and made sure all the exits on the east side were of slip road design and the ones on the Ros side were spiral

you really have a chip on your shoulder.
    Roscommon is a very rural county compared to Westmeath and so the towns are different

The council (not sure which one) missed a golden opportunity to upgrade the junctions when the road was "refreshed" a few years ago, instead they only changed the median to concrete barriers. They should have upgraded the slip roads and installed street lights like the new junctions that were added when the motorways were built.

I can't see that part of town ever reaching the potential that people expect it to. I drove down the old Tuam road the other day and needed to slow down to crawling speed and put on full beams because it's in absolute ****e condition with no lighting. When they were re-developing that roundabout outside of river village a few years ago, two of my friends blew out tyres and buckled wheels on the mess that was left there.

Footpaths just been built and (i think) the poles for (unfinished as of yet) lights.
    Think its set for improvements. What you are seeing now is likely the halfway house between start and end of construction. As with most things, the "in progress" state of the infrastructure looks worse than the "before works" picture. The lads are probably on Xmas break. Hope im right. I do walk/cycle that lap a good bit and the unlit area can be a deathtrap this time of year.

• Advertisement

Westmeath county council have neglected the west side of Athlone for years

Westmeath county council have neglected the west side of Athlone for years

Sure look at Connaught Street. That street has been let waste away for years. The new Bastion development hasn't brought much to the area either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

http://www.shannonside.ie/news/office-and-retail-development-given-green-light-in-monksland/
    Donie Kenny has been given the go ahead for a discount supermarket and a fast food outlet(drive-thru?) amongst other outlets by Roscommon Coco

Tesco had an objection lodged out of "concern for the area". :rolleyes:

Makes me think its an Aldi opening. Hope so. The one in town getting to bursting point now that people are finally copping where the cheaper shopping is.

Tesco had an objection lodged out of "concern for the area". :rolleyes: ....

Ah yes, I've heard they and Supervalu objected to Aldi moving into the area as it wouldn't be conducive to competition. The area needs one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Tesco had an objection lodged out of "concern for the area". :rolleyes:

Makes me think its an Aldi opening. Hope so. The one in town getting to bursting point now that people are finally copping where the cheaper shopping is.

Lidl ?

Long Gone wrote: »
    Lidl ?
    From what I've read it's Aldi as the town centre shop is maxed out!

But it's one of them anyway and that'll upset the existing traders.

From what I've read it's Aldi as the town centre shop is maxed out!

But it's one of them anyway and that'll upset the existing traders.

Bit of competition never hurt anyone :D

Might get Tesco Baylough to up their game. Prices and service have hit an all time low there.

Supervalu have been excellent in recent years, even competing on price in some cases. Another place thats almost maxed out, but again good competition is a good thing.

A little bit of choice never hurt either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Planning has been refused for the proposed retail development in the area. That will be the third refusal for a development of this type in the area.

Advertisement