Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car stolen from driveway - keys in ignition

• 08-12-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

So this morning I went out to the car, started it up to defrost it and went back into the house for 30 seconds and looked out the window and this scumbag hops in the car and drives off.

Insurance has told me there is no cover for this, just wondering if anybody has ever been in the same situation?

I know what I have done was stupid and always taught I should stop this as it'll get robbed someday, well there you go!

Comments

Should have said that they took the keys from your hall.

Have heard of this before and the chap got nothing, hoping that there is a different result for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Hard to see why they would cover you, crazy thing to do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What kind of car was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

I know, I taught that after but I had rang the Gardai about 10 seconds after it happened and told them every details. I was a bit shaken so couldn't even think properly.

Black 07 VW Golf. Possibly one of the most popular cars on the road so it doesn't even stand out.

• Advertisement

Because sh1t happens and was not intentional

Cant disagree with you, but in fairness I would say every second person does it.

Bit scary to think I was being watched as I had put the key in and closed the door with no lights on.

They wait on street for people to do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Hard luck OP but I think your only hope now is that the car is recovered.
    What sort of insurance do you have? You could try begging the insurance company but this will fall under their negligence clause.
    Is there anything special about the Golf? Do you have a picture of it? You have Swords as your location so I'd be going around looking for cctv footage. Wouldn't surprise me if it was abandoned at the airport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Though luck OP, but make sure your mates are well aware of this, as embarrasing as it is, it happens all the time around this time of the year.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    Hard luck OP but I think your only hope now is that the car is recovered.
    What sort of insurance do you have? You could try begging the insurance company but this will fall under their negligence clause.
    Is there anything special about the Golf? Do you have a picture of it? You have Swords as your location so I'd be going around looking for cctv footage. Wouldn't surprise me if it was abandoned at the airport.

Nope she is your run of the mill Golf I'm afraid. But loved it as I saved up and bought it outright a few years back. Kept her in good nick too.

Only thing would be for people viewing that it has a Kenwood radio as opposed to the generic factory versions, plus one of the struts is gone in the boot.

Can you believe I rang the M1 toll boot to see if it had driven through towards the north and they wouldn't tell me due to the Data Protection Laws, looking after the criminals again. As far as I am aware Gardai can only access CCTV?

They said it would be most likely stripped for parts.

Because sh1t happens and was not intentional

I'm no defender of insurance companies and feel bad for the OP, but it wasn't an accident or mistake, the OP left his car running and went inside. You couldn't expect cover in those circumstances. Crappy lesson to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

PCros wrote: »
    Nope she is your run of the mill Golf I'm afraid. But loved it as I saved up and bought it outright a few years back. Kept her in good nick too.

Only thing would be for people viewing that it has a Kenwood radio as opposed to the generic factory versions, plus one of the struts is gone in the boot.

Can you believe I rang the M1 toll boot to see if it had driven through towards the north and they wouldn't tell me due to the Data Protection Laws, looking after the criminals again. As far as I am aware Gardai can only access CCTV?

They said it would be most likely stripped for parts.

Must depend on whom you get, wifes Micra stolen in Jan and they checked for me ( at least they said they checked! )

Have you tried the M50 toll as well? Could also chance the Port Tunnel too.
    I think you may be right concerning the CCTV footage.
    If it is such a basic common model then I'd doubt it was planned, just the average scum saw what you did and decided to try and make a quick profit.
    Scour donedeal as well to see if it pops up.

Did they come on to your private property of was it parked in the street?

You might have a case if they was trespassing and committing the crime (wild speculation here). Could be argued that it would be equivalent to them stealing the keys from your hall, if your door was open.

OP you should pop up the reg, colour, 3/5dr or generally a picture of it.
    You may get lucky.

You might have a case if they was trespassing and committing the crime (wild speculation here). Could be argued that it would be equivalent to them stealing the keys from your hall, if your door was open.

Was in the driveway.

Was also taking to a family member who used to work in insurance and they said a few years ago a family let the kids out to the garden to play and left front door of house open, guys walked in and took the keys and stole 2 jeeps. Insurance would not pay, went to court and the family lost.

bear1 wrote: »
    OP you should pop up the reg, colour, 3/5dr or generally a picture of it.
    You may get lucky.

Long shot as I'm sure plates are swapped. No photos I'm afraid.

5 Door Black Golf

5 door
    5 spoke alloys

Also there was a second car involved that pulled off at the same time. It was a silver Skoda Octavia, early 2000's model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sorry to hear it, and of course it can easily happen. I'd imagine many people done similar this morning.

Have a read here http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/38/keys-in-car-38.htm
    Mr A parked his car opposite a letterbox and jumped out to post a letter, leaving the key in the ignition. While he was crossing the road to reach the letterbox, someone stole his car.

Mr A was horrified when the firm rejected his subsequent claim on the grounds of its "keys in car" exclusion clause. He said that the firm had never told him the policy included such a clause and, eventually, he complained to us.

complaint upheld
    By turning his back on the car and walking away from it, Mr A had fallen foul of the "keys in car" clause in the policy. In legal terms, he had left the car "unattended" - in other words he was not close enough to the car to make prevention of the theft likely, as established in Starfire Diamond Rings Ltd v Angel, (reported in 1962 in Volume 3 of the Lloyd's Law Reports, page 217); and in Hayward v Norwich Union Insurance Ltd, (reported in 2001 in the Road Traffic Reports, page 530).

Mr A accepted that he had left the car unattended. But he claimed that none of the policy documents that the firm had sent him (such as the policy schedule and certificate) referred to the "keys in car" exclusion. The firm had set out the exclusion in the policy booklet but had done nothing to draw Mr A's attention to it when it sold him the policy, as it should have done in accordance with industry guidelines. We therefore felt it was fair and reasonable to assume that Mr A had been prejudiced by the firm's failure to highlight the clause. If the firm had clearly referred to the clause on the policy certificate or schedule, Mr A might well have acted differently.

And we were satisfied that Mr A had not acted "recklessly". Applying the test of "recklessness" as set out in Sofi v Prudential Assurance (1993) - he had not even recognised that there was a risk, let alone deliberately courted it. We therefore required the firm to pay Mr A's claim.

Does your policy contain this exclusion?

You can of course contact the Financial Ombudsman here to make a complaint if you feel the insurance company aren't playing ball https://www.financialombudsman.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

What company are you insured with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Rainbow Kitty

Sorry to hear this OP, I do this all the time too, i usually start the car and put on the heat a few mins before I'm ready to go especially this time of year. I did it this morning also but usually have my gates closed but I'm sure that wouldn't stop someone set on taking the car. Not sure if it will help but I'm in Swords too so i'll keep my eyes out for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I don't think you will be covered to be honest. Our local Garda Station but out warning every year for people not to leave keys in the car when they are defrosting it. Apparantly it is quite a common crime and most insurance policies do not cover you in this instance.

Sorry to hear this OP, I do this all the time too, i usually start the car and put on the heat a few mins before I'm ready to go especially this time of year. I did it this morning also but usually have my gates closed but I'm sure that wouldn't stop someone set on taking the car. Not sure if it will help but I'm in Swords too so i'll keep my eyes out for it.

It's not good for the car mechanically to be left idling in cold weather anyway, start and drive is the best method. De-icer, jug of warm (not too warm!) water is always the best option. Or a Ford with a heated screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Rainbow Kitty

It's not good for the car mechanically to be left idling in cold weather anyway, start and drive is the best method. De-icer, jug of warm (not too warm!) water is always the best option. Or a Ford with a heated screen.

You're right because the car doesn't heat up until I'm driving it anyway. I'll have to stop doing it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Aye. Cold-start and idle for about fifteen seconds is fine, then move off and drive gently until it gets some decent heat into it. These Winters Oi arrr mostly using Ye Olde Holts de-icer and a pair of driving gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

If you're on Facebook, you could spread the word very quickly.

Years ago a friend of mine had a ****e box saxo with a fart cannon.
    he used to leave the the nosey bastard running for 10/15 minutes in the mornings ,
    one day he came out of the house and the keys were gone.
    a neighbour had nicked them to teach the fool a lesson.
    he couldnt drive it for 2 weeks until the keys showed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Happening all the time in Swords at the moment OP. I heard of one similar last week. I am in Swords as well and my own car was stolen 2 weeks ago from my driveway. They fished my keys through the letterbox at around 3 in the morning. I know of 5 other people in our and surrounding estates that the same thing has happened to in the last 4 weeks.
    Like I said it is rampant at the moment.
    A couple of things also, make sure you apply to the Motor Tax office for a refund of any motor tax left although you must have over 3 months and cancel your toll tag if you have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Of course they can't tell you. It's nothing to do with "looking after the criminals". Anyone can ring up with a story, and while your one may be genuine most aren't. Believe it or not, such laws protect everyone.

The Gardai can request information and CCTV if needed to investigate the theft.

As for the insurance side, I can't imagine them doing much for you on this. As pointed out, they may well fall back on it being down to your negligence..which was obviously unintentional..but insurance companies generally don't work on good intentions :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

So this morning I went out to the car, started it up to defrost it and went back into the house for 30 seconds and looked out the window and this scumbag hops in the car and drives off.

Insurance has told me there is no cover for this, just wondering if anybody has ever been in the same situation?

I know what I have done was stupid and always taught I should stop this as it'll get robbed someday, well there you go!

OP if you don't mind me asking what county are you in?

TheNog wrote: »
    OP if you don't mind me asking what county are you in?

North Co Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Of course they can't tell you. It's nothing to do with "looking after the criminals". Anyone can ring up with a story, and while your one may be genuine most aren't. Believe it or not, such laws protect everyone.

As for the insurance side, I can't imagine them doing much for you on this. As pointed out, they may well fall back on it being down to your negligence..which was obviously unintentional..but insurance companies generally don't work on good intentions :/

Yes, as far fetched as this sounds, imagine if you're a crazy possessive man who thinks his wife is having an affair the other side of the city. Do you really think it's right that they should tell you if the car went through a toll or not. (A data protection case similar to this but with a pharmacy was up in court recently).

But overall a real bummer of a situation op. I know somebody last year who had a zero 13 car stolen in the same situation.

BuffyBot wrote: »

Yes, as far fetched as this sounds, imagine if you're a crazy possessive man who thinks his wife is having an affair the other side of the city. Do you really think it's right that they should tell you if the car went through a toll or not. (A data protection case similar to this but with a pharmacy was up in court recently).

But overall a real bummer of a situation op. I know somebody last year who had a zero 13 car stolen in the same situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

amdublin wrote: »
    I know somebody last year who had a zero 13 car stolen in the same situation.

Our new registrations are long enough with adding a zero in front of the 131/132! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

FYP
    Yes, as far fetched as this sounds, imagine if you're a crazy possessive man who thinks his wife is having an affair the other side of the city. Do you really think it's right that they should tell you if the car went through a toll or not. (A data protection case similar to this but with a pharmacy was up in court recently). he will track that tramps phone. :D

Sorry to hear that OP, hope you get the car back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

In lots of countries you can be fined if you leave your keys in the ignition unattended.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-504888/Driver-fined-leaving-engine-running-car-defrosted-outside-home.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Off Topic: Surely if you wanted to know that, you'd just buy a tag and check the invoice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ring every shopping centre in Dublin OP..just on the off chance it might be there or abandoned.

Ring Apoca and ask them to keep an eye out on the private estates they patrol.

It really is a sh*tty thing to happen OP...I hope you get it back.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Off Topic: Surely if you wanted to know that, you'd just buy a tag and check the invoice?

Not really off topic. Can the op not do that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

I'd assume that the thief would detach the tag and fire it out the window. Nevertheless, it's worth a try.

• Advertisement

Don't have a tag...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Should have said that they took the keys from your hall.

Have heard of this before and the chap got nothing, hoping that there is a different result for you

This happened my brother and he tried to tell same story to guards but guard informed him that if he went down that route then it is deemed as burglary, house needs to be fingerprinted and if they ever got the person who stole car then they would be charged with car theft and burglary. If brother was found out to be lyng then he would be in serious bother too.
    No harm I hear you all say but scumbags usually know other scumbags and you could be bringing a whole heap of trouble to your door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

hi5 wrote: »
    In lots of countries you can be fined if you leave your keys in the ignition unattended.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-504888/Driver-fined-leaving-engine-running-car-defrosted-outside-home.html

And they chop the hands off theifes in some countries too but that doesn't apply here either

Yeah thats great.

Getting up to do a honest days work, cars an ice cube, I think I'll heat it up and some pr!ck comes along and steals it.

I should be fined though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Getting up to do a honest days work, cars an ice cube, I think I'll heat it up and some pr!ck comes along and steals it.

If you can't tolerate the, at most, 10 minutes it takes for a car to warm up while you drive it either pay the €5 in Penny's for a pair of gloves to go with a coat, or fit a remote start kit. Boggles the mind how anyone would leave a car running with the keys in it in a publicly accessible place. Also, I sincerely doubt this is opportunistic crime.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buy a car with a heated front screen. A real god send.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Hard luck OP :(

Sticking with the slight deviation from the original question, once started, a car left warming in the driveway can be locked with the spare key while the owner goes back in for tay etc..

Helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Plenty of know-it-alls here who never made a mistake in their life before. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Tresspass is not a crime

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement