Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre speed and index and insurance

• 08-12-2014 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

anyone know if you go above the speed index and load rating for your car , it will cause insurance issues ?

say the car is 91 h but you can only get 95 v or 95 w ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It will not, get any tyre speed rating you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

but don't go below it right ?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

As the lowest speed rating N is sufficient to exceed the speed limit of 120kph on the motorway then usually no, however, if you were involved in a crash and your speed was exceeding the rating of the tyre ( N = 140 ) I would expect you to be charged with dangerous driving rather than careless (IMO)

As a point of interest both V and W rated tyres are rated higher speed than the H
    H=210
    V=240
    W=270

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Looks like there is no law in Ireland requiring to have tyres with speed rating stated in cert of confirmity for the car prepared by manufacturer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but normally car requires tyres with higher speed rating than car maximum speed. So f.e. car which can do 220km/h will require V tyres, as H are only up to 210km/h. And pretty much anywhere in Europe it's illegal to drive at tyres with lower speed rating than specified in cert of conformity.

In Ireland though, looks like that tyres with speed rating grater than 120km/h are fine. That's fairly dangerous, as someone might get caught driving faster on not adequate tyres, and cause accident. And I strongly doubt every driver checks tyres speed rating everytime he drives the car he doesn't know.

To answer OP's question - you will be fine no problem using tyres with higher load and speed rating. However take note, than higher load rating (95 instead of 91) will cause harsher ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭pheelay

CiniO wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but normally car requires tyres with higher speed rating than car maximum speed. So f.e. car which can do 220km/h will require V tyres, as H are only up to 210km/h. And pretty much anywhere in Europe it's illegal to drive at tyres with lower speed rating than specified in cert of conformity.

yup, certainly my experience living in France. Tyre fitters refused to replace the ZR speed rated tyres (factory fitted by manufacturer), until he saw documentation that stated a lower rating is allowed on the car.

Not the same story in Ireland it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

pheelay wrote: »
    yup, certainly my experience living in France. Tyre fitters refused to replace the ZR speed rated tyres (factory fitted by manufacturer), until he saw documentation that stated a lower rating is allowed on the car.

Not the same story in Ireland it seems.

Yeah my local tyre place in limerick have no problem quoting for V rated but fitting T rated and hoping you don't notice.

Der black an der round shur.

Advertisement