Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoccerManager.com (#4) The Boards.ie World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

Fair play to arsenal, doing a great job and fully deserved his win tonight away to Atletico. Let's hope the wheels don't fall have the cart for Atleti.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

SL Benfica beat SSC Napoli 3 - 2 in their Division 1 fixture.

Džeko scored all 3 goals for SL Benfica and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Picking up a minor injury didn't stop Dzeko completing his hattrick in the 89th minute to win the game :cool:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Beat inter 4-1 and all players stayed on the pitch, only 15pts behind first gonna have to start reeling them in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

AS Roma dominated much of the play against Bayern München but could only manage a 0 - 0 draw in their Division 1 fixture.

We "dominated" the match, had more impressive statistics in all areas, yet still most of the Bayern Munich players manage to get better ratings than ours. Figure that one out. :confused:

P.S. I'm not complaining about the result by the way. I mean, yes, we should have won, but we just couldn't take any of our catalogue of chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

The match ended 1 - 1 between Panathinaikos and Valencia CF in their Division 3 fixture.
    Koo scored the only goal for Panathinaikos and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Scrappy draw keeps us plugging away

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Wow! I know they're unmanaged but look at Valencia's league position. Are they going to be the first team to go from Division 1 to Division 4?

Unless of course there's another team that has already 'achieved' that, but I'm not aware of any myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Forgot to change my team, lost 1-0 to villa, deserved winners, had the team set up for anti football :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

A brace from Pedro secures a 2-1 away win at Newcastle to put us joint top at the halfway stage, if only this had an Argentinian league type format!

37 points from first half of the season, I will be bloody annoyed if we don't secure 3 points from the next 19 games to reach theoretical safety and meet Mr Chairman's objectives!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

US Palermo slumped to a 3 - 2 defeat against Juventus in their Division 1 fixture.
    Pato and Trashorras were amongst the goalscorers.

An 88th minute goal Ghoulam was our undoer XD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Wilberto wrote: »
    We "dominated" the match, had more impressive statistics in all areas, yet still most of the Bayern Munich players manage to get better ratings than ours. Figure that one out. :confused:

P.S. I'm not complaining about the result by the way. I mean, yes, we should have won, but we just couldn't take any of our catalogue of chances.

Game engine...

Next question :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

5-2 win against Division 2 superpower Man City...... Where did that come from!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭modo85

Wilberto wrote: »
    Wow! I know they're unmanaged but look at Valencia's league position. Are they going to be the first team to go from Division 1 to Division 4?

Unless of course there's another team that has already 'achieved' that, but I'm not aware of any myself.

not surprised one bit, i remember when they were in the top division and some manager took over and got rid of all their star players and low and behold the inevitable has happened

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gerp99

Colemania wrote: »
    5-2 win against Division 2 superpower Man City...... Where did that come from!!

Tupac answered your question in the above post :p

Seriously though congrats, hopefully we both make it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

gerp99 wrote: »
    Tupac answered your question in the above post :p

Seriously though congrats, hopefully we both make it up :D

tk374.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gerp99

tk374.jpg

hopefully being the key word:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Wilberto wrote:
    Unkymo (Boards username) I think. He's not massively active on here but does pop over now and again!!

I'm still here! In the play-off positions so that's a good start to the season so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

27 free teams, Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Mourinho wrote: »
    27 free teams, Christ.

Something we are actively trying too sort BUT we have too be careful not too open it up too much or it'll be abused with duplicate accounts selling players etc.

Filling teams is one thing, retaining new players long-term is another. How many of the last round of new lads stayed? I think Comic Book Guy and ScienceNerd are the only two I can think of?

Actually would the new player concern rules lead to a more welcomed buying from unmanged? From what I remember hoarding 89s and above would be nearly impossible.

Anyone have the text on the changes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Mourinho wrote: »
    Filling teams is one thing, retaining new players long-term is another. How many of the last round of new lads stayed? I think Comic Book Guy and ScienceNerd are the only two I can think of?
    Any ideas on sorting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Any ideas on sorting this?
    Get managers to sell players and make the 'GAME' fun! Then new managers will stick around. And long term players won't get bored and quit.

Squad caps!! Unlimited amount of players under 21 and 33 maximum over 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

mackeire wrote: »
    Get managers to sell players and make the 'GAME' fun! Then new managers will stick around. And long term players won't get bored and quit.

Squad caps!! Unlimited amount of players under 21 and 33 maximum over 21.

Squad caps is a decent shout but I don't think its a game rule parameter that can be set by Mac?
    Out of interest when this GW originally started was it fully subscribed and if so did it hang onto say 70+ managers for long?

As a relative newbie, in my experience the main problem is unless you're taking over a decent team it's very difficult to make much headway because the market is so static. If you have a mediocre squad it's difficult to improve it much as everyone is only interested in player swaps. Only real tactic is to go down the youth route but that naturally can take some time to bear fruit and means new players get bored.

Doesn't help that there's people happy to rip off newbies, I think of some of the offers I got when I originally joined as FC Twente.

Squad caps need to be enforced somehow, I mean Madrid has 240 players, Dortmund nearly 200. There's a couple of clubs around the 150 mark. It's depressing trying to find any sort of talent when they're inevitably already at one of the bigger clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

While it can be done at smaller clubs, the guy who was at Rangers being a prime example, there is no remit to build a competitive team when starting with a lower club - best you can hope for is to upgrade as jobs become available

I think a squad cap is the way to go, while it is not enforceable by Mac I'm sure we can reach a gentleman's agreement policy all round - if someone breaks the agreement then would have to agree not to do transfers with them or could Mac kick them from the GW? I know Mac doesn't want to be "that guy" but it's just an idea to ensure that the policy is maintained a across the board, I'm sure some of ye will have better suggestions for enforcing it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I suggested squad caps a long time ago. Can't see it happening now. Even I have close to 100 players now. Think the gw will slowly die with only a few hard-core players left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

squad caps would be great. When I think I have unearthed a potential player i search only to find out he already signed by someone with 100+ players

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

There was a(n unenforceable btw, but mainly adhered to) squad cap in the Copa world ...

it, along with 'not buying from unmanaged' got removed as the GW was dying ....

Draw your own conclusions

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    There was a(n unenforceable btw, but mainly adhered to) squad cap in the Copa world ...

it, along with 'not buying from unmanaged' got removed as the GW was dying ....

Draw your own conclusions

I'd like to keep no buying from unmanaged for the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Let ye not start leaving now when my youth set up is starting to make headway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement