Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wasn't allowed to conduct my driving test today

• 08-12-2014 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

So I ace the oral part of the test, he asks to sit into the car to check my lights, etc. I roll down my window in case he is trying to tell me something and with rather convenient timing the window regulator decides it's time to die. Can't put my window back up so the tester would not allow me to complete the test.

Was fairly annoying.. now I have to fork out another €80 even though I did absolutely nothing wrong :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Danger781 wrote: »
    So I ace the oral part of the test, he asks to sit into the car to check my lights, etc. I roll down my window in case he is trying to tell me something and with rather convenient timing the window regulator decides it's time to die. Can't put my window back up so the tester would not allow me to complete the test.

Was fairly annoying.. now I have to fork out another €80 even though I did absolutely nothing wrong :mad:

You did !!!!!! You presented with a non fully functioning car;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dublinjen

they are absolute sticklers for this stuff. Wouldnt let me do mine before because the tax disk was in the post - I had a receipt of tax payment which I could present to a garda but not a driving examiner ? madness.

Condolences to you on the €80

On that point - I'm assuming you cant take it with a engine light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Banana republic. What kind of clowns make these rules. Seems like they are only looking for an excuse to charge for a retest. There is no hope for this little country when we hear stories like this.
    Worse still, there are even people that agree with it.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

You did !!!!!! You presented with a non fully functioning car;).

It was functioning when I got there :( Couldn't he just put on a jacket like.. :pac:

It was functioning when I got there :( Couldn't he just put on a jacket like.. :pac:

Probably couldn't because (a) his ego doesn't allow him and (b) he's a public servant, so heaven forbid he might get a slight chill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

I think you should drop a line to RSA, Ballina. Ask for credit for another test. The car was mechanically sound, filled all the requirements in.

See :-
    My checklist for the driving test
    . The only paragraph that would apply to your situation is the last catch-all one
    There may be other instances that would lead a tester to conclude on health and safety grounds that the test vehicle was not in a sufficiently roadworthy condition to conduct the test.

It was roadworthy and certainly healthy.

Few years back I had three pupils booked to do the test in the school car, each immediately following the other. Before the first lesson/test, cleaned polished the car, sat into the front passenger seat and pressed the button to lower the window and the window literally exploded. (Front left passenger)

Contacted the local garage, they had no replacement so dropped into the test center and explained the situation to an examiner. He said he would take the car out and would inform the other examiners.

As it happened the three pupils each had a different examiner, each examiner took the car out no problem.

However each at the car asked the pupil "Were they completely happy with doing the test in this car, in this condition"

All pupils said yes and all passed.

Contact Ballina its worth a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

I think you should drop a line to RSA, Ballina. Ask for credit for another test. The car was mechanically sound, filled all the requirements in.

It was roadworthy and certainly healthy.

Based on health and safety grounds - the tester was right to refuse the vehicle. A workplace must have a minimum temperature of 16C. A car with a non-functioning window which cannot be closed and ambient air temperatures of 4-10C is a hazard at work.

If you wouldn't work in that environment, don't expect a tester to either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What else on the car might not have been working? The rules are there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Based on health and safety grounds - the tester was right to refuse the vehicle. A workplace must have a minimum temperature of 16C. A car with a non-functioning window which cannot be closed and ambient air temperatures of 4-10C is a hazard at work.

Where did you pull that figure of 16C from?
    I have never heard this before and there are many working environments where temperatures are much lower.

On the other hand spending 45 minutes in an open car in cold, wind and maybe rain would not be too healthy so I can see why the examiner would not go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

A workplace must have a minimum temperature of 16C. A car with a non-functioning window which cannot be closed and ambient air temperatures of 4-10C is a hazard at work.

If you wouldn't work in that environment, don't expect a tester to either.[/QUOTE]

What a load of codswallop, Bucthers, labs etc etc etc

Just put on a jacket and suck it up. I do EVERYDAY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

A non functioning driver side window is an NCT fail. Hence the car was not roadworthy so the inspector couldn't continue the test.
    Very bad luck though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Did you want the man to freeze?

Ah here lads I'm not saying he had no reason not to bring me - Was more just having a rant than anything else since I was extremely unlucky. No need to bite my head off, or start claiming that it was anyones fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I did my test back in 2012. I was using my driving instructors car. However a few weeks before the test my instructor got a new car. By the time my test came around the insurance disc for the car was still in the post. My instructor explained the situation to the examiner 3 days before the test and he said he would still bring me out. So on the day, with the examiner fully aware of the situation, he did the oral test as normal brought me out, did the checks and told me you dont have an insurance disc.I even had done the wipers, and engine tests at this stage. Brought me back in and told me you will have to pay another 80e for a retest. What a pr!ck!

Anyway my instructor was kind enough to pay for the retest himself and I got my license in a car I never drove before (the insurance disc still hadnt arrived by the retest a week later). But just goes to show the d!ckheads that you deal with just for a driving test. Your man was one of these arrogant owld lads. Gave me some ridiculous marks on the final test as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i was in the middle of a test, when the heavens opened, put on the wipers, and one fell off, my man next to me asked me to stop the car and said the test was over, as i had said the car was roadworthy, having gone all that far and only about five minuets to go on our way back to the center thinking it will be all over in a few minutes, he did lose the head with me, i had to resit the test,
    but yes i do agree with him, car was not right with that happening,
    but the fcking thing had never shown any sign of falling off previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

My CV joint started clicking like a mad thing the night before the test.

The clicking happened to stop during the test. I was so scared to hear it click during the test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Pov06 wrote: »
    My CV joint started clicking like a mad thing the night before the test.

The clicking happened to stop during the test. I was so scared to hear it click during the test!

Hope you had it replaced soon afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I assume the test would be cancelled if your indicators weren't working ? Bit ironic then that you need to know the handsigns for the test

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Hard luck OP! It's a shame you have to pay for a re-test but the car was technically unfit for the road :( The whole process is a complete money racket though. Glad I have it all behind me as I don't know a year later after passing my test how I would afford it all now!

Best of luck anyways :) Keep at the lessons until your next test and hopefully you'll pass :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

This one is not about the temp, it's about your ability to give hand signals at junctions.

If it had stuck all the way down, you'd have prob been ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

probably a health and safety thing.
    based on how cold it is in my area, i wouldn't like to be driving around for 45 mins with a window open either.

just bad luck that it went when it did, maybe a sign you'll pass when you take it soon;)

Cu Baire wrote: »
    Where did you pull that figure of 16C from?
    I have never heard this before and there are many working environments where temperatures are much lower.

On the other hand spending 45 minutes in an open car in cold, wind and maybe rain would not be too healthy so I can see why the examiner would not go out.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2007/en/si/0299.html#article7

Please tell me you're making this up, because if you're serious then this country is definitely f####d.:confused:
    Just imagine the ESB guys refusing to work during those 2 cold winters because their workplace was below 16C
    There were days back when it was -16C....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Not sure why people keep saying to "man up" - that's the sort of attitude that get's people killed and injured every year in accidents.

Now I'm not saying this particular situation was that sinister, but say you did the test and half way through it buckets it down - you have rain flying into the car. That's a big H&S hazard for you driving the car and/or for the passenger. Chances of that happening might be low, but it could happen.

I agree it sucks that you have to pay again and wait in line, but I don't blame them for abandoning the test.

3DataModem wrote: »
    This one is not about the temp, it's about your ability to give hand signals at junctions.

If it had stuck all the way down, you'd have prob been ok.

It did go all the way down.. His explanation was to do with "extreme cold conditions".

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Does the test take more than 1 hr??

Because that states that... "A minimum temperature of 16c is, so far as is REASONABLY PRACTICABLE , achieved and maintained AFTER the FIRST hours work"

Stop talking nonsense- money making racquet bs from this banana republic.

barney 20v wrote: »
    Does the test take more than 1 hr??

Because that states that... "A minimum temperature of 16c is, so far as is REASONABLY PRACTICABLE , achieved and maintained AFTER the FIRST hours work"

Stop talking nonsense- money making racquet bs from this banana republic.

That's interesting if I'm interpreting it correctly. Might send them an email highlighting this tomorrow, as the reason he specifically said he was not taking me out was due to the cold. While I do understand his hesitation in bringing me out, I'm more annoyed about the money than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Hope you had it replaced soon afterwards.

Indeed, it was a duuurty DIY job :(

That's interesting if I'm interpreting it correctly. Might send them an email highlighting this tomorrow, as the reason he specifically said he was not taking me out was due to the cold. While I do understand his hesitation in bringing me out, I'm more annoyed about the money than anything else.

Hi,

as per my first reply, send an email, you have nothing to lose and a "Free" test to gain.

IF your window did not collapse in the test you were quite entitled to drive with your window fully open. It is your test, you paid the money, therefore you set the controls of the car to suit you, NOT the tester.

When the examiner leaves his office he is dressed appropriately for the weather. He must allow for the fact he will be standing outside the car for the technical checks, for checking the lights and there is also the possibility that he may have to abandon the test, walk back to the test center.

So, having a window open on your side of the car would have been no hardship to the tester. You could have offered to turn up the heating

Completely irrelevant and I worked in a lot worse conditions.

• Advertisement

J_R wrote: »
    Completely irrelevant and I worked in a lot worse conditions.

All that means is your employer or you didnt know your statutory rights, or didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

All that means is your employer or you didnt know your statutory rights, or didn't care.

"A minimum temperature of 16c is, so far as is REASONABLY PRACTICABLE , achieved and maintained AFTER the FIRST hours work"

Non applicable in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I think my front light went during the actual test, was grand leaving, when I got back and collected the cert I went out and the light was out. Perfect timing, headed straight to the motor way to test the 120 legally :D the little first clio shook like a little bish

Challengemaster
    At least read the Regulation before using it as evidence.
    The interpretation of "workplace" specifically excludes cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What if you work outdoors :rolleyes:

:D :rolleyes:

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What if you work outdoors :rolleyes:

Hi,

Or even indoors. My first summer job. Stacking boxes of iced lollies in a cold store in Walls Ice cream factory London. Temperature was of course below freezing.

My "real" job, at times would have eagerly traded for my cosy cold store in London

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://www.facebook.com/RSAIreland?fref=ts curse them out of it on there. Trust me they will back down very quickly and allow you to sit your test for free. Lot of trolls on their pages (its actually very funny at times) who will post abuse at them. Bad negative press.

This is all taken directly from RSA.ie, and the checklist PDF they supply regarding car condition for the test:
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/finalchecks.pdf
    There should be no leakage of exhaust fumes into the
    vehicle

As vehicles presented for a driving test are regarded
    as an enclosed workspace, all vehicles must be
    smoke-free in accordance with the Public Health
    (Tobacco) Act, 2004.
    As this Act also covers environmental tobacco smoke,
    test candidates are asked not to smoke in the vehicle
    before the driving test and to ensure that there is no
    residual smoke or smoke odour present for the test.

There may be other instances that would lead a
    tester to conclude on health and safety grounds that
    the test vehicle was not in a sufficiently roadworthy
    condition to conduct the test.

A broken window contravenes all of the above.

And as that document clarifies that a car does indeed count as an enclosed work space, the following part of theS.I. No. 299/2007 - Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007 statute also applies:
    Ventilation of enclosed places of work.

6. An employer shall ensure that—

(a) sufficient fresh air is provided in enclosed places of work, having regard to the working methods used and the physical demands placed on the employer's employees,

(b) if a forced ventilation system is used, it is maintained in working order and any breakdown is indicated by a control system if necessary for the safety and health of employees,

(c) if air-conditioning or mechanical ventilation installations are used, they operate in such a way that employees are not exposed to draughts which cause discomfort, and

(d) any deposit or dirt likely to create an immediate danger to the safety and health of employees by polluting the atmosphere is removed without delay.

You are ignoring the relevant interpretation in the Regs themselves. It could not be any clearer!!!!!!!

QUOTE: In this Chapter—

“place of work” means a place of work intended to house workstations on the premises of an undertaking and any other place within the area of the undertaking to which an employee has access in the course of his or her employment but does not include—

(a) means of transport used outside the undertaking or a place of work inside a means of transport,

(b) temporary or mobile work sites, including construction sites,

(c) extractive industries,

(d) fishing boats,

(e) fields, woods and land forming part of an agricultural or forestry undertaking but situated away from the undertaking's buildings.

END QUOTE

Therefore Section 6 on Ventilation does NOT apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

When I was doing my class C test was just waiting to go in a guy came out with a tester doing his car test he then noticed he had locked his keys in the car the tester myself and my instructor attempted to open it the chap them proceeded to pick up a stone and go for the window :) his examiner told him not to bother because he can't test him with a broken window!!!! Probably doesn't help you but this reminded me of that story could not believe my eyes the chap going for the window with a stone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

If legit, this 16c stuff in work is great. I won't have to work on my building site again until summer. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement