Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheres the best place to shop for D.I.Y. tools

Options
  • 08-12-2014 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Where would be the best place to buy D.I.Y. stuff like tools etc at a good price better than the big places like B&Q etc

I'm looking for an adjustable spanner that you can add socket things onto for doing work on my bicycle , lawnmower etc

any recommendations

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A good motor factors should have what your looking for but for cheep tools at a cheep price it would be hard to get better price than the big shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭mrskinner

screwfix.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Pikey.com

Usually have a site at any market/boot sale....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

dunner515 wrote: »

McQuillantools is great if you want to pay top dollar for everything, a very expensive shop. I would Defo check the web, Google it, compare the online price + delivery to the high street store first but you will also come across stores that carry the products. Most decent shops have some sort of online presence. And stay well clear of pikey.com, it if looks to cheap ect ect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

lidl/aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Pataman wrote: »
    lidl/aldi

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

+ 1 also for Lidl Aldi. Hand Tools are very good. electric tools not so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Any hardware shop ( not woodies or b&q)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Good tools aren't cheap, don't buy crap, cheap drills , Chinese knockoffs etc just are that , junk. By the best tools you can afford.

Research what you want. Then comparison shop, I find the internet works out cheapest in general

Ps don't ignore any shop, be it woodies or B & Q, I got two fabulous Makita battery drills in b& q in a end of line sale some years ago. ( after I had gone through 3 Won Hun Lo drills)

For example for rachet sets , or adjustable spinners , look for Teng tools , life time guarantee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You've got to shop around and the internet has made doing this so much easier, even if you do buy from a bricks and mortar shop at least you'll have your research done and know a bargain when you see one. I recently bought two Bahco wide capacity adjustable wrenches from Homebase (I'd never usually buy much from them, they are bloody expensive for pretty much everything). These particular wrenches are prized by plumbers due to their small size but large capacity and they aren't cheap, Homebase had them for €13 less than the cheapest online supplier I normally buy from! I placed and received my first order from Screwfix this week and I was impressed with their pricing and quick delivery. Axminster would be another favourite of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Drills, sanders, routers etc you can't beat B&Q for price. For hand tools like adjustables, spanners etc there is no difference between anyone anymore. Cheaper the better. They all last fine now. I'd wouldn't be a fan of lidl/aldi for electrical as sk6 said as they just don't last. Drill bits break and dull after 1 or 2 uses, batteries die on drills very quickly (no of charges). It'd be cheaper buy a decent set.

for power tools, try and buy a good brand, Makita , Hitachi, Dewalt , Bosch ( Blue). You can get them all fixed. Ive had very poor results from ryobi , so I can't recommend them

For manual tools, avoid very cheap chinnese stuff, the metal is usually very inferior

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

I found caulfield industrial very good.
    No affiliation.

Free next day delivery with orders over €49 quid too.
    I bought a good few bits from them and found them great to deal with for queries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Anyone know where i could buy Channellock pliers in Dublin.

TIA

stanley1 wrote: »
    Anyone know where i could buy Channellock pliers in Dublin.

TIA

The aforementioned Cauflields are the agents

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com

Caulfields have everything but wow do they know how to charge. Makita drill over twice the price in caulfields as B&Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭dodzy

Zadkiel wrote: »
    I found caulfield industrial very good.
    No affiliation.

Free next day delivery with orders over €49 quid too.
    I bought a good few bits from them and found them great to deal with for queries too.
    maybe they're very good on customer service/free delivery. But there is no way they can compare to other online retailers in relation to price.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

ebay.Co.uk or else ebay.com for stuff from America. you can buy good or cheap but I never bother searching single shop websites as it always seems to be cheaper on ebay for same brand plus more choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Is that tool small tool shop in little mary st still open, used to buy there years ago, I think they sold channellock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

I buy a lot of items from my local hardware (family run country store) but when I've time to research, I usually buy online.

So in no particular order

www.ffx.co.uk
    www.toolstop.co.uk
    www.screwfix.ie
    www.axminster.co.uk
    www.amazon.co.uk

There's no one shop that beats all others...you just have to be prepared to do the leg work and search around.
    Some post free to UK so use ParcelMotel with an NI address etc.

Been in and out of Caulfields shops when I'm in a rush. Just don't bother checking the price of what you've just bought against other online stores, because it's a given that you'll find it cheaper elsewhere...but for convenience, there's not much Caulfields don't have.

In the past I've found Amazon expensive, but lately I've found some items cheaper there than anywhere else, so I always have a quick scan there. Ebay, gone off it. Depends what you look for, but I find it hard to find bargains.

Don't be afraid to hop on google.de to search for electronic items. Some online merchants ship to Ireland and still beat local and UK prices. Shop local and all that, but not when you're being fleeced.

Just bought off HERE. Very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

stanley1 wrote: »
    Is that tool small tool shop in little mary st still open, used to buy there years ago, I think they sold channellock.

Yeah, Goughs is still there and I've bought Channellock tools there in the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

amaon uk

or you could buy used tools at markets or donedeal just stay away from china made

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Screwfix is good,and theres discount codes to get 10-20 euro off.Free shipping to Ireland once over 75 euro.
    BnQ can be better value sometimes when they have their 20% off weekends.so it pays to keep an eye open.
    Caulfields are just too overpriced for alot of their stuff.

Advertisement