Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asafa Powell and Mutaz Essa Barshim to compete at AIT Athlone Grand Prix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Can't say I would be rushing down to watch Powell in AIT, but it is a big catch for AI. Maybe his profile was damaged by the doping scandal and he is having to go for smaller meets like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

pconn062 wrote: »
    Can't say I would be rushing down to watch Powell in AIT, but it is a big catch for AI. Maybe his profile was damaged by the doping scandal and he is having to go for smaller meets like this?

I really believe this meet is an up and comer. Sure, Powell's reputation is damaged but so are Gaitlin and Gay(American, I know) and they don't seem to have the same problem.

Last year, they got Ashton and Brianne Eaton and there was strong competition in the mile. Barshim is a huge pull, one of the hottest properties in athletics right now. I think we are seeing a start of the return of top-class athletes to Ireland

I suppose it's a case of "If you build it, they will come"

I really believe this meet is an up and comer. Sure, Powell's reputation is damaged but so are Gaitlin and Gay(American, I know) and they don't seem to have the same problem.

Last year, they got Ashton and Brianne Eaton and there was strong competition in the mile. Barshim is a huge pull, one of the hottest properties in athletics right now. I think we are seeing a start of the return of top-class athletes to Ireland

I suppose it's a case of "If you build it, they will come"

I agree, and don't get me wrong, I would love to see this meet grow and I will be heading down to watch Barshim alone. Powell can run and jump though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

When do tickets go on sale for this or how does it work. Would sort out my last remaining xmas present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Great news. Asafa was my favourite sprinter before he got caught for doping. I would still love to see him sprint. Doper or not he's one of the fastest people ever to walk the planet.

Barshim is a revelation. His explosiveness is incredible, and he has great ability to perform under pressure for someone so young. The World Record will go in 2015 if he stays healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Great news. Asafa was my favourite sprinter before he got caught for doping. I would still love to see him sprint. Doper or not he's one of the fastest people ever to walk the planet.
    I though it would hurt more when a hero of yours cheats , He was one of my fav's too but not now lost all respect for him now, one of the fastest men or not nothing but a cheat now. How about meets only inviting clean runner that would be something we should aspire to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Cheat or not I'd still pay to see him cover 100 meters in sub 10 seconds.

Like it or not, a fair share of the top guys now are skating the edges between doping and taking approved supplements. TUEs for asthma diagnoses that are done soon after an athlete joins up with certain training groups being one example of this.

Yes, Asafa has gone down a lot in my estimations, but it doesn't change the fact that he's ridiculously quick, and I'm willing to pay to see that in the flesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

walshb wrote: »
    Cheat or not I'd still pay to see him cover 100 meters in sub 10 seconds.

Good luck seeing him do that on an indoor track!

I've experience of the hype surrounding Asafa coming to run when I lived in Melbourne. He was down to run the Stawell Gift, and then the 100m at the Melbourne Track Classic a week later. So much hype, and it was a complete let down. Supposedly he had an injury, but given it was only a couple of months later he got busted, I'd have my doubts. Tons of people came to Stawell to watch him, and he wasn't going to run. The race organisor basically dragged him out and almost forced him into running his heat, to satisfy the sponsors, crowd etc. He ran it in the end, cruising along, and then pulled out of the semi-final. He didn't run in Melbourne a week later. Instead he just hung about doing a few uninsightful interviews, signed a few autographs, that kind of thing. He came across as a pretty flakey character, so drugs aside, I wouldn't be surprised if he flaked out of Athlone at the last minute also.

Agree with certain posters though. It doesn't send a good message to kids and aspiring athletes to be inviting convicted dopers to such events. There's so many athletes they could have chosen.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Good luck seeing him do that on an indoor track!

Forgot that. It's 60 meters. Even better. Real raw explosion. Sub 6.4 would be nice.....

Like it or not, a fair share of the top guys now are skating the edges between doping and taking approved supplements. TUEs for asthma diagnoses that are done soon after an athlete joins up with certain training groups being one example of this.

Yes, Asafa has gone down a lot in my estimations, but it doesn't change the fact that he's ridiculously quick, and I'm willing to pay to see that in the flesh.

Agreed. These dudes are the fastest men in history. It's a spectacle that is worth a few bob IMO. He got caught for drugs. He is still a hell of a fast man. I want to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

Agree with certain posters though. It doesn't send a good message to kids and aspiring athletes to be inviting convicted dopers to such events. There's so many athletes they could have chosen.

+10000000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I'd pay to see a man fly , but if he's using an aeroplane I'm not bothered.
    Powells a cheat ,simples , can't abide cheats in any walk of life.

Oops69 wrote: »
    I'd pay to see a man fly , but if he's using an aeroplane I'm not bothered.
    Powells a cheat ,simples , can't abide cheats in any walk of life.

No offence, but a terrible analogy!

walshb wrote: »
    No offence, but a terrible analogy!

Disagree. The analogy makes perfect sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Tickets booked as of an hour ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

To have Mutaz Essa Barshim competing in Athlone in Febuary is amazing(he could jump a world record) but why bring Powell a former drug cheat.We are trying to inspire the younger generation.
    Coupld of friends of mine went to a golden league during the summer and disgusted to see Gatlin get applauded.
    I won't be going for sure....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Shaping up to be a top class meet (opinions aside)

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/carmelita-jeter-confirmed-for-ait-international-arena-grand-prix

Looks like a well stacked mile race. Great to see O Lionaird come back from this with training partner Blakenship. Going by the Flotrack stuff seem to both be going well

Carmalita Jeter has been added to this meet. Impressive that they are landing such big names but their choice of sprinters leaves a lot to be desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Barshim just jumped 2:40 - Asian indoor record

http://www.iaaf.org/news/report/banska-bystrica-high-jump

dna_leri wrote: »
    Barshim just jumped 2:40 - Asian indoor record

http://www.iaaf.org/news/report/banska-bystrica-high-jump
    There were still five men in the competition on Wednesday when the bar was raised to what was then a world-leading height of 2.35m, which makes it the deepest competition by far this year and a statistic that might possibly survive to the end of the indoor season.

Great jumping. I wouldn't expect the same in Athlone though. He had strong competition in this event, which he wont have here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Real pity rte is not showing highlights of this.

Real pity rte is showing highlights of this.

Is there a word missing in this sentence? e.g. not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I would expect it will probably be covered live by the Jumping the Gun crew anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

So is everyone going?

A host of other top quality talent added to the meet also

Yvette Lewis (World Indoor 60mh Champion)
    Nigel Levine (European u23 400m champion)
    Dwight Thomas (World Championship finalist)
    Adam Harris (sub 10 100m sprinter)
    Manteo Mitchell (The guy who helped US get silver in Olympics on a broken leg)
    Tianna Bartoletta (formerly Madison) (4th in London 2012 100m)
    Gesa Krause (1500m finalist in London 2012)
    Eric Sowinski (sub 1.45 twice US 800m indoor champion)

What ever peoples opinion about certain athletes running this has probably assembled one of the deepest (talent wise) meets in recent memory and I would emplore people to show support to the organisers if they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

anyone know what time it all starts, what time you have to be down there for?

RayCun wrote: »
    anyone know what time it all starts, what time you have to be down there for?

Open to correction but I think the main meet starts at 7 however unsure as to whether or not there is a pre event programe (I would imagine not)

• Advertisement

If this was a Saturday I'd be all over this, but 7pm on a Wednesday in the middle of Ireland is too difficult to get to from work, and with Nationals just 3 days away, not willing to throw away a training session for it.

If this was a Saturday I'd be all over this, but 7pm on a Wednesday in the middle of Ireland is too difficult to get to from work, and with Nationals just 3 days away, not willing to throw away a training session for it.

I have work otherwise would have given you a lift ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Going to head up to it. Stand tickets only 10 bucks, an absolute steal to see athletes of that quality.

ECOLII wrote: »
    I have work otherwise would have given you a lift ;)

LOL, took me awhile to cop that.

I'm the same unfortunately, would love to head down but not finished work until 6 which means the earliest I could be down is 8. Shame it's not on over a weekend, a Friday night would be perfect. The Morton Games last year was on a Friday and there was a much bigger crowd there than they used to get on a Wednesday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Live coverage tonight on Sky Channel 191.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Mos Eisley

Does anyone have a running order of events?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

details posted on Jumping the Gun, first race is a 60m heat at 7pm, last event is a mile at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Mos Eisley

Thanks RayCun, very helpful. Should be a great evening :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anybody finding it difficult to watch the athletics through the link on Jumping the Gun?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anybody finding it difficult to watch the athletics through the link on Jumping the Gun?

Yep looks like the Irishtv streaming can't support,

Looks like Powell out in the warm up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Disaster lol.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I'm the same unfortunately, would love to head down but not finished work until 6 which means the earliest I could be down is 8. Shame it's not on over a weekend, a Friday night would be perfect. The Morton Games last year was on a Friday and there was a much bigger crowd there than they used to get on a Wednesday evening.

Sat evening better IMO, or at least ensure the best athletes are at the end of the programme. I missed Thomas Barr beating the world champion at Morton Games because I was stuck on a bus from work which was barely moving faster than a pedestrian!

ECOLII wrote: »
    Yep looks like the Irishtv streaming can't support,

Looks like Powell out in the warm up

I hate to say it but I told you so!
    I've experience of the hype surrounding Asafa coming to run when I lived in Melbourne. He was down to run the Stawell Gift, and then the 100m at the Melbourne Track Classic a week later. So much hype, and it was a complete let down. Supposedly he had an injury, but given it was only a couple of months later he got busted, I'd have my doubts. Tons of people came to Stawell to watch him, and he wasn't going to run. The race organisor basically dragged him out and almost forced him into running his heat, to satisfy the sponsors, crowd etc. He ran it in the end, cruising along, and then pulled out of the semi-final. He didn't run in Melbourne a week later. Instead he just hung about doing a few uninsightful interviews, signed a few autographs, that kind of thing. He came across as a pretty flakey character, so drugs aside, I wouldn't be surprised if he flaked out of Athlone at the last minute also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Barshim just flew over 2:41, going for an indoor WR next!!

YFlyer wrote: »
    Disaster lol.

disappointing coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Farcical in fairness.
    Both 60m finals have to be rerun due to timing failures, then to top it off the TV coverage switches off at 800m of the mile race :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

3:56.75 win in the Mile Benjamin Blankenship

God that was awful from the off. First the stream doesn't work, then I manage to find it on the telly, only for mediocre commentary, poor production quality, problems with the timing, and the icing on the cake with the well-publicised first sub 4 mile indoors in Ireland to be cut-off from broadcast half way through. Typical that the event didn't run to schedule either. The whole thing leaves a sour taste when it should and could have been so much better. I'm not too bothered about Powell; he's a flakey character at the best of times.

God that was awful from the off. First the stream doesn't work, then I manage to find it on the telly, only for mediocre commentary, poor production quality, problems with the timing, and the icing on the cake with the well-publicised first sub 4 mile indoors in Ireland to be cut-off from broadcast half way through. Typical that the event didn't run to schedule either. The whole thing leaves a sour taste when it should and could have been so much better. I'm not too bothered about Powell; he's a flakey character at the best of times.

Have to agree, hate to be negative but it struck me as being slightly amateur all over. A lot of the issues are fixable, but some a very basic like a functioning timing system. Imagine what the top athletes think when something as basic as a timing system doesn't work. Barshim stole the show though, that was awesome to watch.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Kelly Proper wasn't happy about it at all

⭐️Kelly Proper⭐️ @Kelly_Kangaroo · 46m 46 minutes ago
    Tonight was an absolute joke from start to finish, total waste of time!

Not just the clock, treatment of Irish athletes was shocking

• Advertisement
Advertisement