Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oceanfree pop mail

Options
  • 08-12-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I have an old email address i still use regularly. it is an old oceanfree one. i can access enails via web but since yesterday the pop mail seems to be down.
    I have nit heard that the service was being shut down so i assume a technical issue.
    Where do i start who owns the domain now so i can at least contact them
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bodder1

Very same problem here since yesterday afternoon...will let you know what I discover....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

https://www.whois.net/
    Domain Name: OCEANFREE.NET
    Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
    Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
    Referral URL: http://networksolutions.com
    Name Server: NS.ESATCLEAR.IE
    Name Server: PIXIE.ESATCLEAR.IE
    Updated Date: 09-jun-2009
    Creation Date: 03-may-1999
    Expiration Date: 03-may-2015

So at a guess.... owned by o2 and thus by three now

When you log in to your email account online click on HELP and there is a FAQ for Oceanfree with some info. Importantly there is a phone number for tech assistance: 1890 923 111

By the way its BT who ran it so that's O2 or even Three now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Mailwasher showing socket error 10051 although god knows what that means

• Advertisement

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Mailwasher showing socket error 10051 although god knows what that means

Don't worry about the mailwasher error. And whatever you do don't change any settings. This is soley an Oceanfree server issue that they have to resolve. Ring the number i gave you!

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Just for the record I also have an oceanfree address and I also have the same problem.

what did they tell you when you rang?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Solution: if you don't already have a gmail account, create one and add your oceanfree.net email address to your gmail account. I still use my oceanfree.net email this way :)

unkel wrote: »
    Solution: if you don't already have a gmail account, create one and add your oceanfree.net email address to your gmail account. I still use my oceanfree.net email this way :)

I'm afraid that doesn't seem to work. Get a "no route to host" error

• Advertisement

Rang them. They have had a few calls so are looking at it as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Rang them. They have had a few calls so are looking at it as we speak
    As soon as its back up, start migrating to a proper email provider. Most of those old ISP mail hosts are being kept up by the skin of their teeth. As soon as they're uneconomical to run, they'll be shut down, and if you're not prepared, you'll lose all access to your emails

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Man...oceanfree. I'm amazed that those email addresses are still going. I'd seriously suggest starting to migrate people to a new one. The gmail with oceanfree pop suggested earlier in thread is probably a good option.

All fixed and working well this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

unkel wrote: »

It's back now but that solution did not work while the service was down. I know because that's the set-up I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

I think its time as Khannie says to start migrating. Especially as the domain has an expiry date of 03-may-2015. I have been using my oceanfree.net email for over 10 years but you would never know when they will drop support for it, the oceanfree.net website has not been update in many years looking at it. Also I would not think there are too many of us still using it so I also am amazed it is still working. I for one will miss my @oceanfree.net address.

Advertisement