Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] Apartment to rent that allows a dog - South Dublin

Options
  • 08-12-2014 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Looking into renting an apartment in Dublin south soon but want one that will allow me to have a dog do many places allow pets
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Looking into renting an apartment in Dublin south soon but want one that will allow me to have a dog do many places allow pets

Your best bet is an old apartment, almost everything built in the last 15 years doesn't allow dogs and rightly so, they are not built to cope with barking dogs in high density developments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) dogs are banned in most apt complexes.
    Just had a look on daft for you, 4 x1 beds apts in south dublin under 1k p.m allow pets.
    What breed is your dog?
    Who will mind him during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Most management companies forbid animals that can be a nuisance to others in the house rules , or the lease. This would include dogs, birds etc.

Also the fact that it won't have a garden to run around in makes it very un fair on the dog.

Your very unlikely to find a landlord that will allow it, and after that neighbours who are ok with it too, cos if the dog barks at all, they'll complain and then your out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most management companies forbid animals that can be a nuisance to others in the house rules , or the lease. This would include dogs, birds etc.

Also the fact that it won't have a garden to run around in makes it very un fair on the dog.

Your very unlikely to find a landlord that will allow it, and after that neighbours who are ok with it too, cos if the dog barks at all, they'll complain and then your out.

But yet NYC is one of the most dense cities in the world and has massive dog ownership. Certain breeds dont need a garden at all, if they are walked daily.

Most LL dont take dogs due to excessive wear and tear. Some dogs will wreck wood work and painting. In NYC management companies charge you having a dog to account for the extra cleaning and wear and tear. Also only quieter breeds like Boston Terriers and French Bulldogs are aloud, as they dont bark that much.

NYC has a law that if no one notices your dog for 30 days. You cant be evicted from having it in your apartment. It seems fair, as Dogs can be pretty quite, while others are a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

hfallada wrote: »
    But yet NYC is one of the most dense cities in the world and has massive dog ownership. Certain breeds dont need a garden at all, if they are walked daily.

Most LL dont take dogs due to excessive wear and tear. Some dogs will wreck wood work and painting. In NYC management companies charge you having a dog to account for the extra cleaning and wear and tear. Also only quieter breeds like Boston Terriers and French Bulldogs are aloud, as they dont bark that much.

NYC has a law that if no one notices your dog for 30 days. You cant be evicted from having it in your apartment. It seems fair, as Dogs can be pretty quite, while others are a nightmare.

This is not NYC. Apartment buildings here are not built like they are in NYC. My post relates to Dublin not NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

I disagree with some of the people on here who clearly have personal issues with dogs

I have a dog in an apt and the landlord allows it.

In the apt I am buying the mgmt co allows them, however if they get enough complaints from neighbors then I would have to remove the dog. I think most of the apts are rented out anyway so I will have more leverage being an owner occupier

athtrasna wrote: »
    This is not NYC. Apartment buildings here are not built like they are in NYC. My post relates to Dublin not NYC.

NYC has some of the most densely populated apartment complexes on earth, so it is a good example as Dublin does not have anywhere near the population density. If anyone would complain it would be in NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lima wrote: »
    NYC has some of the most densely populated apartment complexes on earth, so it is a good example as Dublin does not have anywhere near the population density. If anyone would complain it would be in NYC.

Building codes are completely different between here and NY. I doubt there are as many cardboard walls in NY as we have here. I can hear nearly every noise my neighbours make and luckily there dog only yaps incessantly when left on the balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I disagree with some of the people on here who clearly have personal issues with dogs

I have a dog in an apt and the landlord allows it.

In the apt I am buying the mgmt co allows them, however if they get enough complaints from neighbors then I would have to remove the dog. I think most of the apts are rented out anyway so I will have more leverage being an owner occupier

If I'm renting an apt next door to you I can still take an action against you if your dog is a noise nuisance. The fact that you own your apt has no bearing on it. TBH I think that's a rotten attitude.

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    If I'm renting an apt next door to you I can still take an action against you if your dog is a noise nuisance. The fact that you own your apt has no bearing on it. TBH I think that's a rotten attitude.

But you don't rent as your posts suggest you are a landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

But you don't rent as your posts suggest you are a landlord

As you well know I was speaking hypothetically. I said 'if'. Just ignore the rest of the post why don't you.

emeldc wrote: »
    As you well know I was speaking hypothetically. I said 'if'. Just ignore the rest of the post why don't you.

Ah sorry I missed the 'if'

So as an owner, does owning actually have any leverage?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Quit squabbling and get back ontopic guys.

Advertisement