Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Ever Christmas Song?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the power of love - frankie goes to hollywood. YOU ARE NOT A XMAS SONG SO FCUK OFF ALREADY! possibly the most depressing song ever written. when i hear that "ayeeayeeayy" it makes my mood plummet in seconds.
    i've said my piece!

and just to think that their first hit earlier that year (84) was about gay sex (relax)

talk about a change in tone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

Driving Home for Christmas. Chris Rea's voice gets on my tits.

Got my feet on holy ground? Where's he from..Jerusalem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭cml387

fryup wrote: »
    and just to think that their first hit earlier that year (84) was about gay sex (relax)

talk about a change in tone

And the Power Of Love is not about gay sex??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Happy birthday to you. Worst Christmas song ever, only equalled perhaps by 'We are the champions'

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

the power of love - frankie goes to hollywood. YOU ARE NOT A XMAS SONG SO FCUK OFF ALREADY! possibly the most depressing song ever written. when i hear that "ayeeayeeayy" it makes my mood plummet in seconds.
    i've said my piece!

Actually I don't mind the song, I loved Frankie back in the day and bought the album it was on as soon as it was released. There was absolutely no suggestion of it being a Christmas song until it was released as a single with the accompanying nativity scene video. If it wasn't for the video we probably wouldn't have heard the song since the 80s.

However, if you want a real Christmas downer how about Stay Another Day by East 17. Again it's not a Christmas song, it's only considered one because of the video and a bell or two at the end. It was actually written by Tony Mortimer about his brother, who had recently committed suicide. Tbh, although I wouldn't be a boy band fan, it's a pretty decent song, but it's as far from Christmassy as you can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Christmas Shoes, Wizard, the country version of Baby its Cold Outside, East 17

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm loving all the christmas songs except for that poxy bleedin shoe song. I mute it every time! But I'm loving all the songs and can't stop singing I want a hippopotamus :D:D la la la laaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Way to many to list but I find 'Thank God Its Christmas' from Queen a highly underrated song and not a hugely known song either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Christmas Shoes. Talk about a way to kill the mood. Honourable mention for Power of Love. Not sure what fighting Vampires has to do with Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

+1 for christmas shoes.... what a load of ****!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hey guys just a friendly reminder of our forum charter, most of the posts on the thread are fine but any anti christmas posts won't be tolerated here. That's what's the ranting and raving thread is for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Scarinae wrote: »
    A Spaceman Came Travelling. For a start I absolutely hate Chris de Burgh, and also it is a really terrible song about an alien visiting baby Jesus!

It's actually my favourite Christmas song! :D I strategically start the christmas mix CDs on a track close enough to it that I'll hear it very close to the start of the CD, without everyone shouting to turn it off haha.
    Straylight wrote: »
    However, if you want a real Christmas downer how about Stay Another Day by East 17. Again it's not a Christmas song, it's only considered one because of the video and a bell or two at the end. It was actually written by Tony Mortimer about his brother, who had recently committed suicide. Tbh, although I wouldn't be a boy band fan, it's a pretty decent song, but it's as far from Christmassy as you can get.

I suppose it depends on what tack you take with it. Christmas is seen as a festival of joy and family and comfort and love and happiness. But all of that commercialized mandatory fun and family happiness would surely be torturous to someone who is emotionally in a bad place... Surely would crystallize their pain while in the depths and darkest part of the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Any spice girls so called christmas songs ( no 1's ) boils my blood

cml387 wrote: »

well if the video is anything to go by, no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Proper Crimbo-Selecta

here's one your not suppose to like for obvious reasons....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Mariah squirrel Carey and that fcuking song. "All I want for Christmas is YyyoooOOoOo.." ..(yes and a mansion and a butterfly room and minions)

I worked in a restaurant for 8 Christmases where hers was the first voice on every day on the ONE Christmas CD. I hate that song!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

mojesius wrote: »
    Mariah squirrel Carey and that fcuking song. "All I want for Christmas is YyyoooOOoOo.." ..(yes and a mansion and a butterfly room and minions)

I worked in a restaurant for 8 Christmases where hers was the first voice on every day on the ONE Christmas CD. I hate that song!

That's bad enough, but spare a thought for the people who work in Santa's grotto in Blanchardstown. Not sure about this year, I haven't been up there much recently, but for the last couple of years that was the only song they had playing at the grotto. All day long. Those people deserve a medal if they managed to make it to Christmas with their sanity intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

cml387 wrote: »

Well, it's a love song, but doesn't seem to be sexuality-specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

fryup wrote: »
    here's one your not suppose to like for obvious reasons....

Yes. And it is surprising that we still hear this one often? The below one not so much though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Ah most of them are atrocious but it's the one time of the year you can get away with total cheese and over-sentimentality.

I LOVE Driving Home for Christmas because it reminds me of my Dad finishing up work on the 23rd. He loves that song so he'd be singing along to it in the car or we'd be at home listening to it knowing he was on the way, and we'd be so excited waiting for him to come home. (I'm actually a little teary thinking about that!!)

Fairytale of New York is a great song but I HATE when it comes on in a pub or nightclub. It's beautifully written but it's very sad and dark, not exactly what you'd want at Christmas. Couple that with people off their faces blasting it out, totally out of tune in a big circle with their arms around each other at 2 in the morning... ugh!

I quite like a bit of Buble but his version of Its Cold Outside with Idina Menzel is bloody atrocious. Video is crap too.

I cannot understand why songs like Baby it's cold outside or I got my love to keep me warm are even regarded as Christmas songs. They are love songs in the swing jazz genre.

Meangadh wrote: »
    Ah most of them are atrocious but it's the one time of the year you can get away with total cheese and over-sentimentality.

I LOVE Driving Home for Christmas because it reminds me of my Dad finishing up work on the 23rd. He loves that song so he'd be singing along to it in the car or we'd be at home listening to it knowing he was on the way, and we'd be so excited waiting for him to come home. (I'm actually a little teary thinking about that!!)

Fairytale of New York is a great song but I HATE when it comes on in a pub or nightclub. It's beautifully written but it's very sad and dark, not exactly what you'd want at Christmas. Couple that with people off their faces blasting it out, totally out of tune in a big circle with their arms around each other at 2 in the morning... ugh!

I have to admit that no other lyrics can paint a picture as vidid as It was Christmas Eve babe in the DRUNK TANK. Definitely, one needs to be thankful they are not the protagonist in the song who sounds like one of the lower echelons in Love/Hate! Certainly, not a happy song by any means, it does show us that Christmas is a miserable time for homeless drunk drug addicts who spend their entire lives drinking, taking drugs and betting on horses. Pretty much the words of this song.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ronan Keating's cover of Fairytale of New York.

Brutal, just brutal.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ronan Keating's cover of Fairytale of New York.

Brutal, just brutal.

Did not know this existed!! If ever there was a case of a mismatch between singer and song, this is it! Ronan Keating has recorded some good and some bad songs over the course of his career but one associates him with MOR pop or pop-country and of course with Boyzone style music. Fairytale of NY is about the last song I could imagine him do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I think it is so bad it has collectively been deleted from all music collections and hence you don't hear it anymore.....thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

The spice girls one they all have hand cramp in. Wasn't a Christmas song, but was a Christmas release.. So still counts.

Meangadh wrote: »

The original of Driving home for Christmas is grand. But Mike Denver then recorded it and ruined it. Still, even Mike Denver cannot outdo that Grandma song even if he was to cover it: the original of it is as bad as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

This.............

Someone said that Driving home for christmas sounded like Chris rea made up the lyrics as he went. I reckon you can say the same for this song x 1000. Christmas fm play this a lot and every time it comes on I feel my life shortening just a little bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

this one is a bit lazy, its just a combo of jingle bells & we wish you a merry xmas to a rocked up accompaniment .....

btw - the greedies were a mish mash of thin lizzy and the sex pistols brought together in xmas 79

Advertisement