Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill Murray will win an Oscar in his lifetime. Who else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

check_six wrote: »
    Matt Damon has an Oscar already, doesn't he? And Brad Pitt? Sylvester Stallone has two!

Fair enough, none are for acting, but ya still have a wee gold fella on your mantelpiece.

Stallone had two nominations.

I remember feeling gutted when Bill Murray didn't win.
    I felt that the Academy voters played it safe and went with Sean Penn's shouty and surly turn in Mystic River.

To make a prediction of who will win an oscar in future, then look at who in the past few years or so has been deemed to have been robbed with the benefit of hindsight. It could be argued that Sean Penn would have been a shoe in for a win in any other year for Dead Man Walking, however Nicolas Cage had the edge that year. Was his win for Mystic River, a phone it in performance for an actor of his calibre, really an oscar for Dead Man Walking? :D

It's almost like an oscar tradition now. Judi Dench, for example.
    Her performance in Mrs Brown was fantastic and could and should have won for Best Actress. She lost out to Helen Hunt.

Fast Forward a year and she bags a win for 8 minutes screentime in Shakespeare in Love. I'm sure the other nominees, looking at you Kathy Bates, who stole Primary Colors, was thrilled about that.

That year, Gwyneth Paltrow won after a heavy promotional campaign from Mirimax. The consensus was that Cate Blanchett deserved it. Fast forward a few years and she wins for a Katherine Hepburn impression.

The bubble burst with the acting oscars when Russell Crowe didn't win for A Beautiful Mind. He was sweeping the board but a tiff at the Baftas and he didn't win. His 'campaign' was ruined. The voting bloc decided he shouldn't win. The merit of the performance is thus muted in what is essentially a schmoozing campaign of the academy voters for the most part.

It almost feels like an apology from the academy voters.
    Unless there is a truly standout performance in the acting categories which is unique and universally praised then the winners are typically those who have produced powerhouse and memorable performances in the past but have been oddly overlooked come Oscar season.

The opposite is also true. Previous winners who get nominated rarely win. I don't think Tom Hanks, Kevin Spacey or someone like Jack Nicholson are going to win any year soon. They would have to produce a specatacular performance as mentioned to win again. Adrien Brody won in a five man field where he was the only non-winner.

Perhaps a similar thread title could be;

Will Tom Hanks ever win another Oscar?

I think DiCaprio will eventually win for either category.
    He has the edge now and angle of being the Oscar's nearly man.
    The studio campaigns will focus on this relentlessly in future.
    One solid, unique and memorable performance will bring home the gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

valoren wrote: »
    Stallone had two nominations.

I remember feeling gutted when Bill Murray didn't win.
    I felt that the Academy voters played it safe and went with Sean Penn's shouty and surly turn in Mystic River.

To make a prediction of who will win an oscar in future, then look at who in the past few years or so has been deemed to have been robbed with the benefit of hindsight. It could be argued that Sean Penn would have been a shoe in for a win in any other year for Dead Man Walking, however Nicolas Cage had the edge that year. Was his win for Mystic River, a phone it in performance for an actor of his calibre, really an oscar for Dead Man Walking? :D

It's almost like an oscar tradition now. Judi Dench, for example.
    Her performance in Mrs Brown was fantastic and could and should have won for Best Actress. She lost out to Helen Hunt.

Fast Forward a year and she bags a win for 8 minutes screentime in Shakespeare in Love. I'm sure the other nominees, looking at you Kathy Bates, who stole Primary Colors, was thrilled about that.

That year, Gwyneth Paltrow won after a heavy promotional campaign from Mirimax. The consensus was that Cate Blanchett deserved it. Fast forward a few years and she wins for a Katherine Hepburn impression.

The bubble burst with the acting oscars when Russell Crowe didn't win for A Beautiful Mind. He was sweeping the board but a tiff at the Baftas and he didn't win. His 'campaign' was ruined. The voting bloc decided he shouldn't win. The merit of the performance is thus muted in what is essentially a schmoozing campaign of the academy voters for the most part.

It almost feels like an apology from the academy voters.
    Unless there is a truly standout performance in the acting categories which is unique and universally praised then the winners are typically those who have produced powerhouse and memorable performances in the past but have been oddly overlooked come Oscar season.

The opposite is also true. Previous winners who get nominated rarely win. I don't think Tom Hanks, Kevin Spacey or someone like Jack Nicholson are going to win any year soon. They would have to produce a specatacular performance as mentioned to win again. Adrien Brody won in a five man field where he was the only non-winner.

I think DiCaprio will eventually win for either category.
    He has the edge now and angle of being the Oscar's nearly man.
    One solid, unique and memorable performance will bring home the gold.

Thank God he didn't win for his showing in 'A Crap Film'. IMHO his turn in The Insider was his best performance of a fairly modest career. Granted though, Denzel Washington got the nod that year for his over-ripe turn in Training Day, another ordinary enough pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Amy Adams and Julianne Moore have been multiple nominated but no wins. Both are incredibly deserving.

Feel bad for Annette Benning who lost both times to Hilary Swank.

Absolutely he will win. Was never a massive fan, always found him a bit 'sincere' but he was so heartbreakingly good in Captain Philips, in my opinion he deserved it for the last scene alone. Completely floored me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

xalot wrote: »
    Amy Adams and Julianne Moore have been multiple nominated but no wins. Both are incredibly deserving.

Feel bad for Annette Benning who lost both times to Hilary Swank.

Good call on Amy Adams. 5 nominations in the past decade.

Good call on Amy Adams. 5 nominations in the past decade.

Angela Bassett always reliable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sorry are we talking about the same do caprio here? Have you never seen shutter island???

Yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Should a comedy award be added to the Oscars or does it cheapen the awards? John c Reilly came from serious roles to comedy and hr is wonderful as a comedian

When was the last time a comedy performance won an Oscar, would it be Whoopi for Ghost or Marisa Tomei for My Cousin Vinny, they seem to come from the supporting categories

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

check_six wrote: »
    Matt Damon has an Oscar already, doesn't he? And Brad Pitt? Sylvester Stallone has two!

Fair enough, none are for acting, but ya still have a wee gold fella on your mantelpiece.

Yeah, if I was an actor who was considered among the best I don't think I'd fully feel accomplished until I won an Oscar at least for a supporting role...to be honest even that wouldn't be enough lol, I'd have to get a best actor award.

I think this would be similar to how Leonardo DiCaprio feels, but if he'd just cop on and try to keep the playboy lifestyle on the quiet side and out of the public press and played more mature and Oscar bait parts he'd win.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭gene_slackman

Liam Neeson is still owed one for Schindlers List. So if he'll just stop misplacing his family for cash and reads a script for once.

anthony hopkins should have won that year for remains of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

anthony hopkins should have won that year for remains of the day

Amazed you didn't pick Laurence Fishburne as Ike Turner in Whats Love Gotta Do With It. Violent wifebeater vs. lonely butler (both men could play those parts in their sleep and they did). But the Academy was right - it gave Schindler's a sweep apart from a gong for Tom Hanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I still don't know how Murray didn't get one for caddy shack.

I still don't know how Murray didn't get one for caddy shack.

...and Chevy Chase was robbed for Best Supporting. When we inherit the great big growhouse in the sky, these things will be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

we could list over 100 people who should and really have deserved an oscar, i think its all bull**** run by the weinsteins, its far to political,

the final straw for me was when Melissa McCarthy got nominated a few years ago for taking a **** in a sink in bridesmaids, utterly ridiculous, i actually liked her in mike and molly but went off her after that, she just started trying to hard, playing the stereotype through the stratosphere,

i like awards season mainly to find a few films that truly deserve my attention, the outsider lists always read better than the insiders,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

don ramo wrote: »
    the final straw for me was when Melissa McCarthy got nominated a few years ago for taking a **** in a sink in bridesmaids, utterly ridiculous, i actually liked her in mike and molly but went off her after that, she just started trying to hard, playing the stereotype through the stratosphere,

I thought she was pretty damn good in St Vincent. Would love to see her getting some more serious roles.

Anyways, I'll shout for Guy Peirce and (gulp!) Christian Bale. :D I still cant get enough of him in American Psycho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ciaranlong

Dan Aykroyd for My Girl :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I thought she was pretty damn good in St Vincent. Would love to see her getting some more serious roles.

Anyways, I'll shout for Guy Peirce and (gulp!) Christian Bale. :D I still cant get enough of him in American Psycho.

Christian Bale already won an Oscar for The Fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Edward Norton,.had to check wiki and hes never won one.Hes an amazing actor and has starred in some of my favorite films 25th hour,american history x and the illusionist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Edward Norton,.had to check wiki and hes never won one.Hes an amazing actor and has starred in some of my favorite films 25th hour,american history x and the illusionist.

I thought he seemed a little lazy in The Illusionist, but his performance is AHX is fantastic. It pretty much knocked me over.
    25th Hour is very good, as is Primal Fear. Dont forget Death To Smoochy!!!
    It's been a while since I've seen him hit his previous form (although Moonrise was really enjoyable) but I'm hoping for a good return to that in The Birdman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

I thought he seemed a little lazy in The Illusionist, but his performance is AHX is fantastic. It pretty much knocked me over.
    25th Hour is very good, as is Primal Fear. Dont forget Death To Smoochy!!!
    It's been a while since I've seen him hit his previous form (although Moonrise was really enjoyable) but I'm hoping for a good return to that in The Birdman

'Death To Smoochy,Moonrise'

Haven't seen those yet.Agreed AHX would be high on everyone's list I imagine .Loved the illusionist as a film,dont understand why it got less than universal acclaim,everything was perfect imo,the cast,the acting sets,the ending.Yip Ed is definitely due alot more recognition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I kind of assumed Norton had an oscar. Great actor! He was amazing in Fight Club, the first thing I saw him in, and had to watch everything else I could find of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Christian Bale already won an Oscar for The Fighter.

Are we not talking about the big one and not the supporting role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Are we not talking about the big one and not the supporting role?

Don't think so, going by the thread title. I just assumed it meant an acting Oscar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I kind of assumed Norton had an oscar. Great actor! He was amazing in Fight Club, the first thing I saw him in, and had to watch everything else I could find of his.

How on earth did I leave out Fight Club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Bill Murray is a lazy actor who plays Bill Murray in every film, and Bill Murray isn't actually that funny. His supporting casts usually provide most of the laughs. He's not much of a step up from Adam Sandler, really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Bill Murray is a lazy actor who plays Bill Murray in every film, and Bill Murray isn't actually that funny. His supporting casts usually provide most of the laughs. He's not much of a step up from Adam Sandler, really.

atermSub210h.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I call bs on this. Adam Sandler should not even be mentioned in the same sentence ever again unless it is: Bill Murray kills Adam Sandler with a golf club

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Are there even any good Adam Sandler films? I got a few cheap laughs out of Happy Gimore and the Waterboy but they're far from classics.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Dare I say it, Colin Farrell probably has an Oscar in his future. Maybe not for a while, and maybe for a supporting role, and no doubt if he does somebody else will have been "robbed". I don't know how well he does the politics, but he seems well regarded and generous to work with among his peers.

Adam Sandler has turned in a number of great performances including one in Men, Women & Children which is currently on release in which he is supposed to be one of the few redeeming features of the film. He was also excellent in Reign Over Me, Punch Drunk Love and easily the best thing about Funny People and even some of his less hig brow fare is good fun. I enjoyed Bedtime Stories, love Airheads and have fond memories of Bulletproof and a few others. I'd go so far as to say that if you compare Sandler's performance in Punch Drunk Love to any of the celebrated performances of the past decades then his would stack up very well. The guy is a damn great actor, he's just lazy and seems to like making money.

• Advertisement

I call bs on this. Adam Sandler should not even be mentioned in the same sentence ever again unless it is: Bill Murray kills Adam Sandler with a golf club
    Are there even any good Adam Sandler films? I got a few cheap laughs out of Happy Gimore and the Waterboy but they're far from classics.

Rather my point. Name a film in which Bill Murray plays a character who isn't interchangeable from one of his other films. Ghostbusters really hasn't stood the test of time, Groundhog Day is memorable only for its premise, Caddyshack's star is the gopher, Scarlett Johanssen made Lost In Translation interesting.

In the best case scenario, Murray isn't on screen for long enough to allow him to railroad the enterprise into another bland, tedious Bill Murray film.

It surely only a matter of time for Jessica Chastain to win an Oscar. She's been nominated twice (for The Help and Zero dark Thirty). And put in great performances in The Tree of Life, Lawless, Mama and Interstellar. Her new film, A Most Violent Year, looks really good too.

Rather my point. Name a film in which Bill Murray plays a character who isn't interchangeable from one of his other films. Ghostbusters really hasn't stood the test of time, Groundhog Day is memorable only for its premise, Caddyshack's star is the gopher, Scarlett Johanssen made Lost In Translation interesting.

In the best case scenario, Murray isn't on screen for long enough to allow him to railroad the enterprise into another bland, tedious Bill Murray film.

Completely agree. Stick to your guns.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Yeah, if I was an actor who was considered among the best I don't think I'd fully feel accomplished until I won an Oscar at least for a supporting role...to be honest even that wouldn't be enough lol, I'd have to get a best actor award.

I think this would be similar to how Leonardo DiCaprio feels, but if he'd just cop on and try to keep the playboy lifestyle on the quiet side and out of the public press and played more mature and Oscar bait parts he'd win.

Never did Nicholson any harm?

Leo deserves an Oscar.

Rather my point. Name a film in which Bill Murray plays a character who isn't interchangeable from one of his other films.
    Lost in Translation. Kingpin. Tootsie.

Apart from the fact that Bill Murray played them, what do those three characters have in common?

Never did Nicholson any harm?

Leo deserves an Oscar.
    He's a good actor, but he Di Caprio hasn't given an Oscar worthy performance relative to the competition of that year in my opinion. He has shown good range in some roles (Django being the most recent example) but his characters are often very similar, more so than Nicholson for sure who played a private investigator in Chinatown, a rebel in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and a grumpy/lonely old man in As Good As It Gets, each character with a lot of different mannerisms and actions.

The main problem I have with Di Caprio is that he essentially plays a hotshot businessman/man-in-a-suit very often, without too much variance in the character (and very frequently "pushed to his limits") - Blood Diamond, Inception, Shutter Island, Body of Lies, Wolf of Wall Street, J. Edgar and The Departed. He did a good job in The Aviator of course as Howard Hughes descended into madness, but the role of the character at first was again quite similar. It's a bit like De Niro's roles went very 'mobster heavy' through the 90s with Goodfellas, Casino, Heat, Ronin, The Score, etc (and kind of A Bronx Tale where he played a bus driver, but the film itself was again to do with mobsters). Don't get me wrong, I really like Di Caprio but I want to see him push the envelope a bit more often, and that's typically something the Academy award as well, just ironically enough often not for the roles that 'push the envelope' themselves for whatever reason.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Lost in Translation. Kingpin. Tootsie.

Apart from the fact that Bill Murray played them, what do those three characters have in common?

You're asking me what they have in common, apart from what they've got in common? They're all Bill Murray. He shouts louder in one film than in another. He does long rambling self indulgent monologues. Could the character in Kingpin be replaced by the one in Groundhog day? Practically gesture for gesture.

You're asking me what they have in common, apart from what they've got in common? They're all Bill Murray. He shouts louder in one film than in another. He does long rambling self indulgent monologues. Could the character in Kingpin be replaced by the one in Groundhog day? Practically gesture for gesture.

Unless the role is written for Bill Murray, I think its a testiment to him that he takes a role and makes it his own, you are essentially saying that Bill Murray is Bill Murray, this is because he makes roles his own. Let's be honest, he must be one of if not the most confident actor in hollywood at present bar Pacino!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I'd go so far as to say that if you compare Sandler's performance in Punch Drunk Love to any of the celebrated performances of the past decades then his would stack up very well.

Sandler is fantastic in that. Wish he'd try and go back and explore that side of his 'craft'. He played being unhinged very well. I'd love for him to dip into that a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I dont get Bill Murray- lost in translation bored me to tears

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

efb wrote: »
    I dont get Bill Murray- lost in translation bored me to tears

I watched it a few nights ago. I kept checking the time every 5 minutes.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Unless the role is written for Bill Murray, I think its a testiment to him that he takes a role and makes it his own, you are essentially saying that Bill Murray is Bill Murray, this is because he makes roles his own. Let's be honest, he must be one of if not the most confident actor in hollywood at present bar Pacino!

Which is the same as saying that he's incapable of putting in a performance that isn't "Bill Murray".

That's called "limited range" in acting circles, I believe.

Which is the same as saying that he's incapable of putting in a performance that isn't "Bill Murray".

That's called "limited range" in acting circles, I believe.

Just because an actor has a larger than life approach to acting doesnt mean that its limited range.

That's like saying Johnny Depp is limited range because he plays eccentric roles all the time.

2 things: firstly I actually despise Johnny Depp now because of his role choice and secondly, I must admit that Bill hasnt challenged himself in an acting role since LIT

It's safe to say you haven't see either of those films in a long, long time then (though granted Kingpin is pretty rubbish, he is hilarious in it).

Jack Nicholson has made a career from playing Jack. De Niro and Pacino are not far behind.
    To my mind, the finest screen actor of all time (drumroll) is Gene Hackman precisely because he had huge range. And he's retired now (with a couple of gongs on his bookshelf).
    Ed Norton and Sam Rockwell are examples of younger actors who do have range and can play across a spectrum of roles.

• Advertisement

Jack Nicholson has made a career from playing Jack. De Niro and Pacino are not far behind.
    To my mind, the finest screen actor of all time (drumroll) is Gene Hackman precisely because he had huge range. And he's retired now (with a couple of gongs on his bookshelf).
    Ed Norton and Sam Rockwell are examples of younger actors who do have range and can play across a spectrum of roles.

Agree here too.
    Disagree re: Hackman though, too often played a snarling type.

Spencer Tracy, Robert Mitchum and Edward G Robinson were all greats of the screen, but almost by default IMHO, all the great (screen) actors are British or British stage-trained. Thus Guinness, Olivier, Richardson, Gambon, Day Lewis etc. and the quite peerless Paul Scofield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

I'll probably get killed for this but

Cillian Murphy and James McAvoy I think have deserved a nod in the past

byrneg28 wrote: »

Did McAvoy not get a nomination for Last King of Scotland? Certainly deserved it.

byrneg28 wrote: »

I'd put Cillian Murphy in a different (higher) league to James McAvoy. Although McAvoy was very good in The Last King of Scotland.

I would go with Dustin Hoffman in that sense, but Hackman is also a good shout (if a grumpy old ars ehole that only Murray would stand up to during filming of the Royal Tenenbaums funny enough). I also don't think Nicholson plays himself as much as people tend to say... he certainly does a far amount to be sure, but I think some of it comes down to his having a very distinctive look also. His three Oscar wins for example were three very different characters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement